• Green lady day coat and navy bows

green and bows
    J.Crew Lady Day Coat in 00P & wool mini (altered) (outlet version, 40% off), Modcloth blouse c/o (old)
    Zara navy heels (starts in sz 5), F21 navy tights (14 colors!), Ann Taylor bow clutch c/o
    My search for winter coats in staple colors had me eying the Lady Day (currently 25% off, see my old review) once again. I love the color selection this year, from the classic hues (camel, ivory, navy – I just so happen to be looking for something in each of these!) to the bold and beautiful shades. As much as I enjoy this coat, owning three of them in the same exact style is a bit overkill so I’m resisting for the time being. I wish that J.Crew came out with more flattering new styles this year in such colors, rather than straight or concave cocoon cuts not ideal for shorties.
    green and bows1
    Curiosity got the best of me with this Brooks Brothers Melton girls wool coat (trying sz L, I believe), but the results only serve to remind me why certain childrens pieces do not work for adults. The 100% wool coat was good quality just like the cape I tried on, but the waistline was too high and puffy (although, possible contender for a petite maternity coat?).
    brooks brothers coat

green and bows4
    green and bows3

After wearing these navy court heels (also avail. in black or burgundy but in faux-leather) on several city streets for about 3 months now, I have to say they’ve exceeded my expectations. It’s rare for me to find shoes this pointy that don’t pinch or require breaking in. The sz 5 (offered only in a few styles) fits snugly and the leather has not stretched out. An added bonus is the burgundy-colored soles – subtle against the navy, but still a nice surprise. Shipping and return ship are both free to make the shoe trial experience less risky.
    green and bows5

56 thoughts on “Green lady day coat and navy bows

• Nabila November 20, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Hi Jean, beautiful outfit and as a fellow petite who will soon be entering the professional work world, your blog has been a blessing (this is my first time commenting!) Would you mind telling me what percent wool the JCrew coat is? Their website doesn't say. Thanks! 🙂

• Le monde des petites November 20, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Love your outfit!!!!
      Everything you wear is so nice!!!!
      Didn't know Zara begins its shoes with the 5 size! Never found a 5 size in Zara outlets or eshop! Thank for having informing us about that!!!

xoxo from Dubai

Jul du monde des petites

• Jean November 20, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Hi Nabila! Congrats on starting your career soon! I have two of these from different years and they are both 94% wool, 6% nylon. However retailers are always changing material content (sadly, for the worse) so I wouldn't be surprised if this year is slightly different. You can live chat with J.Crew customer service reps online and they are usually very helpful with providing material content and exact measurements for certain sizes.

• Petite Hues November 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Hi Jean! I love the green & navy combination, it's a great alternative to black. I was wondering, for the F21 tights, are they sheer? They are very budget friendly, but I was wondering how the quality of the tights are like and if it would withstand a whole season?

– Christine

• Laura November 20, 2013 at 11:50 pm

I adore that green coat! So gorgeous.

• Melissa November 20, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Love this coat! Wish it still came out in green!

• Suzie Q November 21, 2013 at 12:01 am

Lovely winter look with the green and navy pairing! I bought my first J. Crew coat last year in petite sizing, and now I am hooked on their coat line with their fit, fun colors, and quality. I've been lusting after their previous townhouse coat, so I wish they would bring back that style!

Suzie Q

• Mady T. November 21, 2013 at 12:42 am

the coat has such a lovely color! cute outfit!

xoxo
      Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• zozo November 21, 2013 at 12:43 am

Love every single piece in this ensemble. Always on the lookout for good navy and the color palette here is particularly flattering for your skintone!

atelier zozo

• Maggie November 21, 2013 at 1:18 am

i've been eyeing those jcrew coats for a while now but never took the plunge mainly because i'm afraid it's not thick enough for a blustery winter. the ones with the thinsulate – are they actually warm enough for a boston winter?

• Style Squared November 21, 2013 at 2:30 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Style Squared November 21, 2013 at 2:32 am
    • Dressed with soul November 21, 2013 at 3:18 am

I agree, the blue coat doesn´t fit very well, but in my opinion you can be so happy that you already own this wonderful green coat!

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Carol Li November 21, 2013 at 4:13 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Heidi Fuqua November 21, 2013 at 4:13 am

That coat is adorable! I love it when people dress in colors during the winter instead of the traditional blacks and browns. Hope you have a great day!
      Heidi’s Wanderings

• Carol Li November 21, 2013 at 4:27 am

J Crew have just arrived in the UK, but The Lady Coat. is $587  vs $365 in the US.

• Beauty Follower November 21, 2013 at 6:07 am

Such an elegant look!

• Zoe Rivera November 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

I like the way you match colors together. Excellent combination.

• Choochoo Li November 21, 2013 at 9:11 am

What a nice green this is! Love how the navy color is carried through all the way from the top to the clutch to the shoes! All of your pieces are so fantastic!

Choo Choo

• htlewis November 21, 2013 at 9:25 am

Love the color combos! I love the pop of cream in there too! What's your take on wearing cream pants in the Fall? I have some cream colored Express Editor pants that I've been debating on wearing but am not brave enough to withstand from potential comments about cream/white after Labor Day?

• Anonymous November 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hi Jean,
      I just purchased the Lady Day coat in Camel but I feel like it's a bit long on me and makes me look short and stumpy. I have only worn it with boots so far because I don't wear heels to work. It looks like it fits well on you, but that could be because of the heels. I was thinking of getting it tailored shorter and I was wondering if you'd had it tailored at all, or if maybe the newer coat is slightly longer? The Jcrew website says this one is 37 1/2". Thanks!

Olivia

• Jenny November 21, 2013 at 11:16 am

I agree with Olivia–I've been in the market for a new coat and desperately want to love the Lady Day coat. The length definitely seems to be noticeably longer than past seasons' versions. I purchased and returned the Burgundy and Camel colors and returned both, as I felt the color + the longer length looked a bit matronly on me. I finally settled on the navy but am considering getting it tailored shorter. I have other J.Crew coats without the Thinsulate, however, and it makes a huge difference in warmth.

• Mei Fleming November 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

CLASSY, ELEGANT, POLISHED….perfection! Love the striking green coat!
      The bows are a great touch too and just enough!

NEW POST:: Jumpsuit

xoxo

• Plum Pretty Sugar November 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Love this all this beauty! The colors and jacket are to adore!

xo

• Lindsey Anne November 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Love this color on you!

• Kai-Li November 21, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Love the green and blue combo! Why the black tights and black heels instead of nude tights and light color heels? Great outfit!

• Anonymous November 21, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Hi Jean,
      You look great as usual! Just curious though, do you ever wear thermals under your outfits in the winter? It might just be me, but I think I would still be cold wearing your Boston winter outfits here in SF! 😛

• Anonymous November 21, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Hi Jean,

I have been your reader in the past few months and really enjoy reading your blog. May I ask a question about the Green coat? I know you are wearing a previous year version (oasis green). Is this year green version (hammock green, see here: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Sale/AllProducts/PRD~52606/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20+225~~~21+17+4294949582~90~~~~~~~/52606.jsp?nav_type=SALESITE) the same as yours?

Elaine

• pretty little things November 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

that green is such a gorgeous color on you!! : )

• SME45 November 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Hi Jean, I don't know if you have time to respond to my comment, but I am coming from a tropical climate to the east coast for the winter. How would you recommend me packing? Outfits etc (jackets, sweaters, pants)?
      I don't mean to make your life more difficult, but I know I don't need to look professional. I just want to look nice:O)

• Ann November 23, 2013 at 9:13 am

Love this outfit!

You look gorgeous as usual Jean 😀

• Nathalie Alexandra November 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

love the coat !! great colour on you… I know how hard it is too find petite clothing …
      have a great day Jean

xoxo

• Bela Anzu November 23, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Jean, this green winter coat looks elegant on you. I wish J. Crew kept the quality of their linings and the percentage of wool the same because I would have likely purchased one. Now I'm thinking of saving up to purchase a quality wool/cashmere coat, probably from another company, even if it costs more.

• rodelma lopez November 23, 2013 at 11:52 pm

you paired them so nicely, thanks for the ideas blessings

• Emma Alison November 24, 2013 at 5:13 am

Between the ornate fabrics (like leather and lace) and funky shoes, the style trends are heating up as the temperature drops.I also recommend

for some great outfits regarding women.

• heyxgrace November 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm

The coat is such a beautiful color! And the Ann Taylor clutch is so adorable. Its a pretty reasonable price too! Definitely sparked my interest!

I finally updated my blog after 3 years lol I wrote about the Ferragamo outlet sale. I know you're a Ferragamo fan and can appreciate a good deal 🙂 I'm still learning about blogger so please don't laugh at my layout lol http://heyxgrace.blogspot.com/

• Niters November 24, 2013 at 11:07 pm

That green coat is just lovely on you Jean!

• Anonymous November 25, 2013 at 9:11 am

Hi Jean,
      I am not petite, so normal sizing fits just fine, but I love your blog nevertheless. Very inspiring but still down to earth enough, that your outfits seem wearable for more than photo ops.
      The Zara shoes look great on you, so I ordered them, but the fit did not agree with my feet :-(, they are going back.
      Keep up the great posts!
      All the best from germany,
      Hanna

• Anonymous November 25, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Hi jean! When is it a good time to purchase jcrew coats with significant discount? Thanks!

• Jean November 26, 2013 at 4:32 am

Hi there – in the past, the coats were marked down to mid $100s around the last week of December – first week of January, but of course sizes and colors are limited by then.