• Summer Style with Caress: Playful Prints

caress 3

DIY floral maxi skirt, H&M; kids organic cotton striped tank (from 2011, but still avail. in stores)
    Ann Taylor starfish necklace c/o and sandals (old)

Today’s post is sponsored by Caress, in celebration of the launch of Caress Tempting Whisper Fine Fragrance Elixir Body Wash and their newest Fabulista (spokesperson) La La Anthony. La La Anthony will be posting fashion trends and beauty tips on Caress’ Facebook page throughout the year, and fans can enter to win a variety of prizes by showing how they live the Fabulista life every day. The body wash’s long lasting scent was inspired by the world of fine fragrance and created by top experts at fragrance house, Givaudan.

caress 1

This outfit is my interpretation of one of La La’s summer style tips, and also inspired by the fragrances of white peony and red plum in Caress’ newest body wash.

“Playful prints – Fashion and style should be playful, and nothing is more mesmerizing and fun than a wardrobe with prints to mix and match. Trying contrasting colors, prints and layers or turn it up a notch with metallic and floral patterns. If you are unsure about a look, stay within color families – that way clashing patterns look edgy and avant-garde.”
    caress 2
    The bottom half of this outfit is made of fabric from Scotland – my only souvenir from the trip. I wasn’t able to find apparel that fit, so brought home the next best thing! The vibrant all-over poppy pattern is easy to pair with solids, but I wore it here with my most comfy striped tank (a longtime closet staple, and a worthy buy for just $5).

caress 6
    caress 4
    To make this skirt, I started with my old beginners’ skirt tutorial (skipped the pockets) again, which basically entails sewing together two simple rectangular pieces of fabric and adding an elastic waistband. Like last time, I modified it to have elastic only in the back of the waistband, and used SPG’s smooth waistband skirt tutorial for the front half. Since it’s difficult to find maxi dresses that fit well both in the waist and length, I highly recommend any beginner sewers to try making your own.
    caress 5

Disclose: This was a sponsored post. Please visit Facebook.com/Caress for more information.

47 thoughts on “Summer Style with Caress: Playful Prints

• Heyitzme July 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Perfect summer outfit! I LOVE the skirt and its print design and how you pair it with stripe tee. It's just so lovely!! May I know where you get the fabric for the skirt?

• Suzie Q July 23, 2013 at 11:20 pm

That is so awesome and clever that you got the fabric as a Scotland souvenir and made a beautiful skirt out of it! The backdrop is perfect for this outfit shoot =) I agree, mixing prints is always fun, and this outfit exemplifies that well =)

Suzie Q

• Angie | Pandaphilia.com July 23, 2013 at 11:27 pm

this maxi makes you look so tall! the shape is spot-on and you look at least 5'6" in the 3rd to last photo

• Yuen Lim July 23, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I love that skirt! It's so pretty and I like how you paired it with the striped top!

• Petite Hues July 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Love the maxi skirt and the backdrop. Were these taken in Cape Cod?

• Jessy July 24, 2013 at 12:09 am

I love love the skirt! You did a great job, Jean! Have you considered selling your creations? : ) On another note, I never thought of pairing stripes & floral. I imagined it to be quite "busy", but your outfit proves otherwise. Saving this for inspiration. : )

• Christy C July 24, 2013 at 12:17 am

Jean, this is such a lovely outfit. I absolutely adore that skirt, the floral pattern is beautiful. Love the backdrop too!
      Christy
      Sunnywithasideof…

• swanprincess July 24, 2013 at 1:07 am

I echoed Jessy saying… Make and sell your maxi skirt! Love it! Cute, cute:D

• Le monde des petites July 24, 2013 at 1:32 am

Nice skirt et nice pics! Love it!
      Jul from Le monde des petites

• Van Nguyen July 24, 2013 at 3:12 am

I'm more in love with your style now. Great fabric choice, and you've sewn the maxi skirt beautifully. I love the photography. Nick did a great job capturing your beauty and the beach.

• MizzJ July 24, 2013 at 4:16 am

Wow, kudos to you Jean for making such a gorgeous skirt!

• TaraMixandMatch July 24, 2013 at 5:16 am

Awesome that your made that skirt…perfection!

• Charlotte July 24, 2013 at 7:06 am

Oh god I love this outfit!! The striped sweater matches perfectly your floral skirt !

fashionfixeshearts.blogspot.com

• tahitian88 July 24, 2013 at 7:35 am

Love it all, especially the clutch! Where is it from?

• Shira July 24, 2013 at 9:41 am

I'm seriously obsessed with the skirt and the print mixing! Also, the photography is gorgeous!

• Sandy a la Mode July 24, 2013 at 10:03 am

what a gorgeous way to pattern mix!!

xo,
      Sandy
      Sandy a la Mode

• Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 10:07 am

Love love love! May I ask what is the fabric made of (polyester?) Also how do you hide the elastic in the back so it's not so visible? You should have your own etsy store!

• Irene July 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

Jean! You always find the BEST places for your blog pics — and you look stunning!

I LOVE the summery prints on you – so fresh and fun. I love florals and never thought about pairing with stripes. So lovely. And your pretty red nails are tempting me away from my standard pink summer nail. 🙂

I should have known you would have created the beautiful skirt yourself — the fabric is so airy and light and you did a wonderful job putting it together. Let me know when you start your own clothing line. I'll be first in line!

• Purple Ivy July 24, 2013 at 11:49 am

Very much in love with this look. The floral skirt is absolutely stunninga nd kudos to you for making that. Glad I came upon your blog as you have excellent style. Following and looknforward to reading your future posts.

xoxo
      Ivy

• Kat July 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Love the clutch. Where's it from and is it still available? Thanks

• Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Flowers and stripes? Sorry, they don't work together. As more fashionistas wear this combination, the more it is copied and considered chic and it just isn't.

• Elle July 24, 2013 at 2:22 pm

beautiful photography! love your outfit too!

• Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I've always loved your lipstick color…what color & brand do you use?

• Jen Lavenders July 24, 2013 at 7:19 pm

You are stunning. I love the skirt. It makes you look so elegant and tall!

• Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm

cute skirt! and i like the clutch too. very bottega veneta-esque.

• Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 11:37 pm

floral and stripes are weird together. 🙁

• GEMMA July 25, 2013 at 4:16 am

What a lovely post! I really like this outfit on you. You are incredible:)

Come say HI on my blog for more Ibiza outfit posts: http://www.gemmamonclus.blogspot.com

Love, Gemma

• Anonymous July 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

Love the colorful maxi skirt, it looks so breezy summery and the drape is super-flattering on you, nice job! (And I admire you actually getting it done soon after vacation rather than socking it away in a closet like I would!)

An honest opinion, though — the sponsored posts aren't doing your credibility any favours. "Caress Tempting Whisper Fine Fragrance Elixir Body Wash"? Really? Obviously it's yours to leverage as you wish, but I've always thought your frank sincerity is what really makes your blog shine. The commercial content feels unnaturally tacked-on. (I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just respectfully offering some reader perspective.)

• Georgette July 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I'll agree with anonymous… free swag is free swag, of course, but this just seems a reach…

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hi there – it's from "edinburgh fabrics"

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Yep! By Dennisport – very nice and relaxing there.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:17 pm

It was a gift from my bf's mom, from the Philippines : )

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Thank you! It is poly, but very lightweight so it flows. The elastic is visible the back…(do you mean the scrunching? because it does scrunch in the back just like here http://www.extrapetite.com/2013/06/sewing-with-lining-diy-convertible-fit.html )

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hi Kat, it's from the Philippines but I'll keep my eyes peeled for similar in US stores!

• ....... July 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I love the caress body wash so much this floral scent looks lovely too. great outfit really love how you paired the stripes with the floral and they actually look like they work well together! xx. gigi. http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Thanks! It's "Too Faced" Honey bear…very creamy formula.

• PetiteAsianGirl July 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi Anon & Georgette – I decided to participate with this post because of Caress' campaign focus on summer style. I value your feedback as a reader, and credibility in posts is important to me. Thank you for taking the time to leave a note, and for sharing your opinion respectfully.

• Anonymous July 26, 2013 at 7:43 am

Please stay the way you are and don't make sponsored posts. Don't change;)

• Cillamor July 26, 2013 at 11:21 am

I love your stories, your pictures and over all hearing about your life. Can you please let us know where we can purchase that filipino clutch. You are so inspiring keep up the good work, best of luck to you! xoxo

• Anonymous July 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Frankly, the product sponsorship for a supermarket body wash in this post seems pretty out-of-place and really turns me off.