• Back to Classics: Mustard, cream + printed silk

mustard skirt hermes scarf1

J.Crew pencil skirt, waist altered (same style in cotton, on sale), vintage Hermes scarf c/o LXR&CO; (invite)
    LOFT blouse, H&M; blazer (also worn here), Prada tote (review), J.Crew pumps (mid-heel version)

Weekday mornings are tough for me – I sleep like a drugged rhino and barely make it out the door in time. In exchange for a few extra minutes of snooze, I’ve been reaching for the same trusty pairings week after week. An old favorite combo is red with neutrals plus a leopard accent (shown here and here), and joining the ranks is mustard and cream with printed silk. The soft colors here serve as the perfect backdrop for a bright print, and the smooth silk adds luxury to a basic outfit.
    mustard skirt hermes scarf2I just finished my semi-annual switcheroo of seasonal pieces between my closet and under-bed storage compartments. This skirt in a heavier weight wool was packed away for fall, and I plan on substituting a pleated A-line one in it’s place for repeat pairings this season.

mustard skirt hermes scarf3
    Trying out yellow nails, which I thought would be more disastrous against my skin tone. These little colorful Sally Hansen polishes allow for experimentation without breaking the bank.
    mustard skirt hermes scarf4
    I’ve enjoyed all the comfy travel shoe suggestions (read each one of them – thank you!) and would appreciate any links on styling a square scarf with a blazer. I’ve kept it safe with just a basic drape (felt this was a bit too cowgirl for work), and would love to expand my scarf-tying repertoire. mustard skirt hermes scarf

What are your fail-proof pairings when crunched for time in the morning?

52 thoughts on “Back to Classics: Mustard, cream + printed silk

• Yin Yang June 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Hi Jean, you look fabulous, the outfit is perfect for a weekday wear.
      thanks for your reply about the eye cream on tweeter, xoxo~

• Ann June 19, 2013 at 11:27 pm

What time do you usually wake up during the weekdays? =P

• lavidalaura.com June 19, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I adore this look! It is classic, but with a little bit of flair!

• Brittney June 19, 2013 at 11:29 pm

My go-to pairing is red, black, and white. It's a mix of power colors that looks really sharp at the office. This fashion shortcut has saved me countless minutes in the morning.

Brittney

anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

• PetiteAsianGirl June 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm

6 if I need to sweet-talk my boyfriend into snapping blog photos before he leaves for work, but otherwise almost 8:30 : /

• Petite Hues June 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Square scarves can actually be pretty versatile and stylish. I visit MaiTai's when it comes to styling scarves. She uses a Scarf Ring, and actually sell it too, but I've found it at my local fabric store for around $1-$2 depending on the type you buy (I look for them in the buckles section) and gotten lots of use out of them.

Here's a link to the scarf rings with tutorials on the side bar:

Hope this helps! 🙂

-Christine

• Suzie Q June 19, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I love mustard yellow. The color is versatile for all seasons. Great pairing with the vintage scarf. My morning crunch time pairings are black/white/beige color tones. Classic and no need to think too hard on color matching =)

Suzie Q

• Nailah June 19, 2013 at 11:58 pm

This is gorgeous! I'm featuring my beloved mustard skirt on my blog soon too (again), haha. Just such a wonderfully versatile and classic piece. My morning fail-proof pairing would have to be a sheath dress and pumps. They almost instantly amp up your work look without you having to try too hard. Lovely once again!

~Nailah

• Carolines Day June 20, 2013 at 12:06 am

Colors that work as neutrals with an interesting shoe or accessory. Back when I was in corporate world, I used to lay out 2 outfit possibilities at bedtime, so I could just put it on and go in the morning. Kind of annoying sometimes, but I love my sleep and it kept me from wearing the same things over and over. 🙂

• Sandy a la Mode June 20, 2013 at 1:12 am

what a gorgeous and classic outfit for work!

xo,
      Sandy
      Sandy a la Mode

• Anonymous June 20, 2013 at 1:16 am

Jean, you have such pretty skin! What products do you use? Can you tell me the brands? I've been struggling with my skin because it's dry and I feel like I am getting some wrinkles around my eyes! (: Thanks! I love the outfit on this post, btw! Great pairings as always! (:

• Catching Flight June 20, 2013 at 2:04 am

Do you wear makeup everyday for work? your face looks bare yet fresh in these pictures.

I usually skip the makeup if I'm crunched for time in the mornings (which happens most days since I love to sleep-in too) but I always end up looking tired and sick.

• minnie June 20, 2013 at 4:12 am

Jean, do you dye your hair? And if so, do you do it yourself or go to a salon?

• Fictitious Fashion June 20, 2013 at 5:07 am

Office Chic! Love your scarf and skirt.. such an awesome combination 🙂

Maybe you have time to see my new Outfit post: Different ways of wearing converse

You are welcome to visit my First Blog Sale hosted on Facebook page. I'm selling New Items at one-third price as on websites For Indian Residents Only.

Participate in my International Giveaway Each winner can choose her jewelry from Persunmall

Love
      Akanksha

• More Than One Love June 20, 2013 at 5:13 am
    • Anonymous June 20, 2013 at 7:01 am

Will you share a roundup of the comfy shoe advice you've received? I'd really appreciate it.

• Anonymous June 20, 2013 at 7:45 am

I love howtowearanhermesscarf.com. Mai is really knowledgable and creative with her scarves.

• april June 20, 2013 at 8:03 am

I love the pairings, you look chic as always. Im a petite person too, im just wondering whats your height, you carry yourself so well with all your outfits

• kmad June 20, 2013 at 8:43 am

One of the best changes I ever made to my weekday routine was to get in the habit of choosing my outfit the night before, head to toe, and have it all laid out and waiting. It saves me so much time and stress in the mornings!

• everydaypetites June 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

you always look so chic, jean!

• Anonymous June 20, 2013 at 9:07 am

Jean, do you work at Deloitte? I think I may have passed you the other day when I interviewed.

• ssjd in Boston June 20, 2013 at 9:21 am

I wear a blazer to work everyday and add an Hermes scarf as my main accessory most of the time. I will third the recommendation of MaiTai's site for scarf inspiration. She has lots of ideas and photos and very easy-to-follow tutorials via photo and video which you can find here:

In the winter, I usually do the basic fold and wrap the scarf around my neck as this provides added warmth. I secure the ends with a knot or a scarf ring (purchased from Mai Tai). See the knots called "cowboy" and "basic slide". I also do a "friendship" knot a lot. I like the knot to fall about chest level though MaiTai shows it higher, near her neck.

In the summer it's hot, and I'm not as eager to have the insulating silk next to my skin. Therefore, I think of the scarf as an alternative to a necklace. I hang the scarf loosely and tie the knot further from my neck, or I make a knot or two in the center of the scarf and hang it from my neck. Check out the knot called "necklace" and create variations with one knot a double knot, or three knots as MaiTai shows. Also, check out "scarf and pearl necklace".

Another blogger, Scarf Addict, has a knot I like called the "Berlin" knot:

Have fun! You may soon discover you "need" more scarves 🙂

• Meghan Silva June 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

This outfit is so gorgeous , that silk scarf takes the look to a whole other level.

Meghan Silva's Blog

• Joules June 20, 2013 at 10:33 am

I pretty much always just go with a nice, work-length dress and nude flats when I have a time crunch in the morning. For the summer of course. In the winter it's more like tights, a work dress plus a blazer or cardi, and boots with my flats packed away in my bag. Chicago winters are fierce!

I've been doing a lot of purchasing lately and definitely need to start packing away winter clothing to make room in my closet.

Style by Joules

• Hanna Lee June 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

Great polished look, love!

• Fauxionista June 20, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Jean, MaiTai's Picture Book is a great resource for scarf-tying: http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/

As for fail-proof pairings, it's usually black & white with a pop of color be it red, green, blue, etc.

• Flora Amies June 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I think this might be my favourite outfit of yours, Jean! I would see each of these pieces of a rail and think 'thats nice', but then move on, because I wouldn't know how to put it together. I absolutely love the mustard yellow of your skirt, and the blue in your scarf is JUST the right hue against it. I would love to raid your wardrobe, I really would! You look stunning & so classy. Gorgeous, gorgeous lady!

Flora

• ssjd in Boston June 21, 2013 at 9:41 am

Nordstrom's site also has a video tutorial about tying scarves of different shapes. It's fairly basic and is a good place to start:

• Pearls and Beyond June 21, 2013 at 9:57 am

Love your style, so classy. Nice nail polish, perfect for summer!

Chunky flower necklaces 7 colors: https://www.etsy.com/listing/154080983/june-new-arrival-j-crew-inspired-flower?ref=shop_home_feat

• tappin' my toes June 21, 2013 at 3:45 pm

charming color combos in this outfit. I especially enjoy the contrast of the bright blue in the vintage hermes with mustard jcrew pencil skirt.

another recommendation for MaiTai's picture book — she has wonderful ideas for scarf related outfits and tying techniques. http://www.maitaispicturebook.com/

How do your colleagues react to bolder/modern nail polish styles?

• Elissa Garza June 21, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I like to tie my scarves, well like a tie! It's very easy and it's soft but professional.

• Closet Classicist June 21, 2013 at 6:42 pm

And I thought I was the only one with a "lazy morning uniform". Ankle trousers, top, blazer happens to be my current go-to for those less than inspiring mornings.

theclosetclassicist.blogspot.com

• Natasha Bernard June 21, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I so love your style dear. This look is perfect. I'm also a scarf attic…well accessories in general.

• Yasmine Brooke June 21, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Drooling over your silk! gorgeous color combo!
      Yasmine xx

yasminebrooke.blogspot.com

• Iga. June 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I love your blog honey! xo

• ~Hienn June 23, 2013 at 6:21 am

Hi Jean I think you'll love this collection. It's modelled by Kim Tae Hee.

• Russian Chic June 23, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Jean, is your Prada tote BN2274? I'm considering this style because it fits letter size but it feels to large next to my frame. I'm 5'3 What would you advise? Thank you.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 23, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hi there – yes it is BN2274 – I am about 5 feet tall and I thought it was a very proportionate size for me, but in the end it depends on what you're comfortable with and if you would find it to be too clunky. Anything smaller wouldn't fit very much, though!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 23, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Thank you and to others who shared Mai's links! I've come across her site before but didn't try many of the styles.

The leader of my group is pretty frank so I asked him what he thought of the yellow nails the first day I wore them, and he had no issues. For client meetings and in other business fields where there is day-to-day physical client interactions, I would probably shy away from the non-traditional : )

• PetiteAsianGirl June 23, 2013 at 5:27 pm

SSJD – Hello to a fellow Bostonian & thanks for sharing both resources!