$20 striped maxi dress & find your fabulous at Marshalls event

striped maxi dress ivory blazer

Dress c/o Marshalls, vintage Hermes belt c/o LXR & Co (invite), Chanel WOC
Steve Madden sandals (similar– so cute for under $25), H&M; blazer (review, sleeves slimmed & shortened)
I’ve teamed up with a few lovely bloggers (Lani, Lissy, Khatu and Bettina) to host an event at Marshalls Fenway, which is the newest store location to open up in Boston. If you live in the area and have time on Wednesday May 8th, 6-8pm, I would absolutely love it if you stopped by! We will be sharing our favorite picks from the store and giving away quite a few gift cards to help “find your fabulous.” There will also be several chances to win prizes, including items that each of us picked out. If you’d like to attend, please RSVP here so we can plan for the snacks and prizes accordingly.
striped maxi dress ivory blazer1 I’m a big fan of maxi dresses for the comfort and ease, and this is the second time I’ve scored in the juniors department. The key for me is to find (or tailor) dresses with a simple cut in a stretchy but well-draping material, that just skims over the hips and legs and hits at the top of the foot. The end result is very lengthening and slimming, even when worn with flats or low shoes, as shown here.

striped maxi dress ivory blazer3
This dress is actually a juniors sz M but looked narrow on the hanger and not too long. Sure enough, it fit similar to a petite S and the length was perfect with no hemming needed. I loved it the moment I tried it on, and just slimmed the sides a little. For anyone who is interested, it was $19.99 and the brand is “Max & Riley” – I’ve seen the same dress at two local Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores, but didn’t find anything smaller than a M.

Picture 247
Love the paneled torso as well, which adds to the slimming effect. There is a short exposed zipper at the top back.

striped maxi dress ivory blazer4
striped maxi dress ivory blazer2 For casual days, I love the idea of topping off a maxi dress with a cropped denim or utility jacket. I don’t own the former and my Gap army jacket was too long, so I went with this ivory blazer for a delicious brunch with friends. Long dresses keep legs warm during windy spring days (and delay shaving!) and are surprisingly breathable in hot weather as well – overall a win-win.

75 thoughts on “$20 striped maxi dress & find your fabulous at Marshalls event

• Jeannine520 April 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

What a great buy. You look lovely!

• Anonymous April 11, 2013 at 10:36 am

Agreed Anonymous! No need for a bidding war on a $20 dress. Good luck on your quest to find a great alternative. 🙂

• Chica-Esperta April 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

From a fellow petite, I love stripes and wear them anywhere but am currently looking for a striped minidress. Every maxi I've tried on makes me feel like those birthday cakes with a doll stuffed inside (http://whendoibecomecompetentagain.blogspot.pt/2012/10/princess-doll-cake.html)

But you manage to look great in a maxi and not at all overwhelmed! Any tips?
    For any fashion questions, try theasksection.blogspot.com

• Sandhya April 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Dee April 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Like the dress and absolutely heart the belt. Is it still available.

yamkantravel.blogspot.com

• Anonymous April 11, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hi Jean, can you do a post sharing your exercise routine or talk about what you do to stay in shape? Thanks!

• Anonymous April 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi Jean, I love the idea of pairing this dress with a white blazer. I have a similar dress and can't wait to try it with my white blazer.

I am invited to a casual beach wedding reception in California in May. Any suggestions on what to wear? Thanks!

• Joy April 13, 2013 at 3:07 am

Such a cute dress. Too bad the only Marshall's in my area is relocating, and going under construction =

shortandsweetjoy

• Anonymous April 13, 2013 at 9:33 am

I was thrilled to find this in a med and large. However when i tried it on, the dress was really short! 🙁 im 5'3 and thought maybe I'd give it a shot. The dress fell awkwardly to above my ankles and did not graze the floor like it did for jean. Don't bother looking for this dress if u are taller than 5 ft!!

• Anonymous April 14, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Hi Jean! Where did you get your necklace?

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 7:59 am

Ann – that's so sweet of you to say. Thank you for reading along!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hi Sandy! I go to zen hair in Kenmore, run by a guy named Freddy. I ask him to thin it out underneath and give slight layers. I've been going to him for years but admit it's hit or miss. I've had a great haircut and I've had a mediocre one, like this month lol.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Ah – I forgot to mention the racerback back. I plan on wearing a strapless or regular bra just with one of those racerback converters – it's like a little plastic piece that you slide onto your bra straps to hold them together in the back.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Hi there – yes I meant tailoring the sides from the inside, about an inch along each side.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that you found one and it fits perfectly! I also have been skipping the juniors department for the low quality and youthfulness, and this encourages me to take a quick peek more often.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:09 am

Interesting find! I called so many stores for a size small and ended up spending a few hours altering, so probably would've willingly coughed up the extra $ for the right size on eBay. Marshalls/TJ Maxx have many racks of maxi dresses gearing up for the summer, so I'm thinking they will have similar items soon (along with H&M;, Urban Outfitters and other similar stores).

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:11 am

Hi there – I have to admit I'm not too big on exercise. I work out only once a week and usually do cardio (run on treadmill) for about 15 minutes, then do light lifting (5-10lb weights) to tone arms, and some crunches at home.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

I think a colorful or printed maxi dress plus a wrap and flat sandals (definitely avoid heels for the beach) would be perfect!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:14 am

I forgot to mention, its the "Ever After" heart necklace c/o Stella Dot

They're out of gold now, but I've seen similar on eBay for a bit less!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

If it worked perfectly for me, I can imagine an awkward length for someone a few inches taller : / Sorry to hear about this one!

• Emmett April 16, 2013 at 7:20 am

Hi I enjoyed your blog posting just wonder if it's already warm enough to go out without socks. stripes are always looking good 🙂

• Anonymous April 22, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love this dress! What brand is it? I don't live in Baltimore. Where can I get this dress in Baltimore? Or may be online?

• lisacng @ expandng.com April 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I love those panels too!

• Lorena July 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I think you did a marvelous job in pairing a very casual dress with a blazer – works like magic.

• Lorena November 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hi I am linking my post to your page!