Weekend Wear: DIY Scalloped skirt & Ferragamo Varina Flats

scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats2

Thrifted skirt w/ DIY scallop hem, BR Mad Men dress c/o (last worn here) and swing jacket (old)
Ferragamo Varina flats, Ann Taylor foldover clutch, Chanel tortoise wayfarer sunglasses

If you have any plain old skirts or dresses that need a touch of something, consider trying your hand at a DIY scalloped hem. This skirt was a happy find for me at a secondhand store – I started to do a basic hem on the matronly mid-calf length, however switched gears partway through to something a little more unique!
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats4
I took photos for a scallop hem tutorial but made the mistake of “learning as I go.” My scallops initially came out very defined, almost jagged, and could’ve given Freddy Flinstone a run for his money. After making some modifications, the second attempt came out exactly like I had hoped. Unfortunately, precious fabric was lost due to errors from round 1, leaving me with a skirt short enough to inspire some thigh toning exercises.
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats5

Knit jacket: H&M; (very old)

scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats3b
Hemming the scallops the second time around took under an hour, and is something beginner sewers can do. Since my initial photos have been rendered useless, I hope to re-create the steps and post a tutorial in a week or two.
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats6
After falling in love with the Ferragamo Vara low-heel pump, the more modern flats were next on my list. I find that Ferragamo shoes in general run slim in the toes and heel, which is great for those with more narrow feet. I love the design of these, however the stiff patent leather required a break-in period like the infamous Tory Burch Reva flats. This pair is very comfortable now, but I’m disappointed that shoes at this price are not comfortable right off the rack.
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats1

79 thoughts on “Weekend Wear: DIY Scalloped skirt & Ferragamo Varina Flats

• Anonymous May 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Hey Jean, any suggestions on outfits for casual Friday at the office? I work on a floor full of men, and when I wear heels, I look too dressed up for 'casual' friday. Also the guys seem to point it out too. I want to style some outfits with flats or jeans, but then, I end up looking stumpy or too casual (like a student). I want to retain a professional look while still looking relatively casual. Help!

• shin May 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

hey, jean
    those flats are lovely. what size do you wear?
    and how much is your height?? i am an Asian and i am just 4'11

• Angela May 8, 2013 at 11:01 am

I seriously love your blog. I'm very petite and always look to your blog for some fun inspiration! Love it all, keep up the amazing fashion for us little ladies. 😉

• julieahunt May 8, 2013 at 11:20 am

Love those flats! So adorable. Not sure if the scalloped hem is for me or not, but it certainly adds some flare to this outfit. And it doesn't seem too short to me, at least not in these pics.

• KendallVerde May 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

LOVE the scalloped skirt!! so cute!! X

dipped in yellow

• Olivia J May 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm

The scalloped skirt is beautiful! I saw a beautiful one at J.Crew…thought about making a dress. Great job.

Corporate Catwalk
    Facebook Page

• Hallie @ corals + cognacs May 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm

You look ah-mah-zing! That scalloped shirt is perfect on you.

Hope you're having a great week, lady!

-Hallie

• Alice May 9, 2013 at 4:03 am

WOW look very amagazing!!! Love your blog!

• Sincerely Sammie May 9, 2013 at 12:21 pm

LOVE this scalloped skirt! You look very chic in this outfit.

sincerelysammie.com

• Christie May 9, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I just love the scallop skirt and the fact that you made it on your own. You have such amazing DIY skills!

Love your blog.

xo,

Christie

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Thanks! I did get them on sale – usually Ferragamos are included in friends & family promos (20-25% off) and also in Bloomingadles' shoe promos (20% off) that happen every other month or so. I stacked one of those sales with a coupon that they emailed to cardholders.

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Peanut butter jar lid as a stencil!

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Thanks so much!

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I have not – I will if they get too worn down but the wear and tear isn't too bad if you stay away from gravely/small stone patches that will really rough up leather. For a vintage pair that I own I got the heels resoled but left the ball of foot part as-is.

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Yep, they are navy!

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Hi there – I'm using a Canon 6D

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Tough call, I love the little extra height of the Vara but I think overall the Varina flats are more contemporary and youthful. THey look better from all angles, whereas sometimes I feel the Vara's might look stumpy from the side with the short heel. And complete flats are easier to walk long distances in.

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Hi An – I have not…the bottoms of the soles look interesting!

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Hi Shirley – it was just with repeated wear outside and bending/flexing them at the stiff points. I hear some ladies like to wear thick socks to break them in at home.

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! I went to check them out online immediately. Very strange that they don't go down to A cups for the smaller band sizes…

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I always wear heels on casual Friday despite what my predominantly male colleagues say – you just need to be confident in whatever you wear (as long as it's not 'inappropriate,' of course) and people won't be making the little comments. I usually just don a dark skinny jean plus blazer or cropped tweed jacket (like the uniqueen ones) over a tee shirt, plus some jewelry. Sweater jackets or blazers (there's a cute one at BR now in navy) are also good. I don't like flats either due to feeling like a student and looking stumpier.

• PetiteAsianGirl May 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Hi Shin – I wear a size 5 and I'm a little under 5 feet tall

• Anonymous May 10, 2013 at 7:42 am

Thank you!

• Anne May 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Wish we had a good thrift store by me in Jersey. There is a Plato's Closet and a Good Will nearby, but all the good thrift/vintage stores are in the city which isn't a far trek being a hour away, but wish we had something closer to me.

Love the scallop hem and your shoes too! That's awesome that you're able to make time to do sewing on your own despite your busy professional life.

xo Annie

• Petitefemme May 12, 2013 at 7:52 am

So lovely ! The skirt and the shirt are very beautiful. It's perfect !

• BooBooNinja May 14, 2013 at 7:51 pm

The scalloped hemline is darling. I'm eager for your tutorial as well. 🙂

• Hannah @ Cheap flights to Colombo May 22, 2013 at 8:48 am

Love the design and it suits you. yeah I am so out of my patience now, waiting for your tutorial.

• Anonymous July 18, 2013 at 10:19 am

I love your red coat in one of the pictures, Jean. May I know where you got it from? Thanks 🙂

• Keren Ho August 13, 2014 at 7:19 pm

With patent shoes, try wearing a big thick pair of socks with the flats, and give a blow dry with a hair dryer for 5-10 minutes. It'll shape it yo your feet perfectly!