Weekend Wear: DIY Scalloped skirt & Ferragamo Varina Flats

scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats2

Thrifted skirt w/ DIY scallop hem, BR Mad Men dress c/o (last worn here) and swing jacket (old)
Ferragamo Varina flats, Ann Taylor foldover clutch, Chanel tortoise wayfarer sunglasses

If you have any plain old skirts or dresses that need a touch of something, consider trying your hand at a DIY scalloped hem. This skirt was a happy find for me at a secondhand store – I started to do a basic hem on the matronly mid-calf length, however switched gears partway through to something a little more unique!
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats4
I took photos for a scallop hem tutorial but made the mistake of “learning as I go.” My scallops initially came out very defined, almost jagged, and could’ve given Freddy Flinstone a run for his money. After making some modifications, the second attempt came out exactly like I had hoped. Unfortunately, precious fabric was lost due to errors from round 1, leaving me with a skirt short enough to inspire some thigh toning exercises.
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats5

Knit jacket: H&M; (very old)

scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats3b
Hemming the scallops the second time around took under an hour, and is something beginner sewers can do. Since my initial photos have been rendered useless, I hope to re-create the steps and post a tutorial in a week or two.
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats6
After falling in love with the Ferragamo Vara low-heel pump, the more modern flats were next on my list. I find that Ferragamo shoes in general run slim in the toes and heel, which is great for those with more narrow feet. I love the design of these, however the stiff patent leather required a break-in period like the infamous Tory Burch Reva flats. This pair is very comfortable now, but I’m disappointed that shoes at this price are not comfortable right off the rack.
scallop skirt ferragamo vara flats1

79 Comments

1. Keren Ho wrote:

With patent shoes, try wearing a big thick pair of socks with the flats, and give a blow dry with a hair dryer for 5-10 minutes. It'll shape it yo your feet perfectly!

Posted 8.13.14 Reply
  2. Anonymous wrote:

I love your red coat in one of the pictures, Jean. May I know where you got it from? Thanks 🙂

Posted 7.18.13 Reply
  3. Love the design and it suits you. yeah I am so out of my patience now, waiting for your tutorial.

Posted 5.22.13 Reply
  4. The scalloped hemline is darling. I'm eager for your tutorial as well. 🙂

Posted 5.14.13 Reply
  5. So lovely ! The skirt and the shirt are very beautiful. It's perfect !

Posted 5.12.13 Reply
  6. Anne wrote:

Wish we had a good thrift store by me in Jersey. There is a Plato's Closet and a Good Will nearby, but all the good thrift/vintage stores are in the city which isn't a far trek being a hour away, but wish we had something closer to me.

Love the scallop hem and your shoes too! That's awesome that you're able to make time to do sewing on your own despite your busy professional life.

xo Annie

Posted 5.10.13 Reply
  7. Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

Posted 5.10.13 Reply
  8. Hi Shin – I wear a size 5 and I'm a little under 5 feet tall

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  9. I always wear heels on casual Friday despite what my predominantly male colleagues say – you just need to be confident in whatever you wear (as long as it's not 'inappropriate,' of course) and people won't be making the little comments. I usually just don a dark skinny jean plus blazer or cropped tweed jacket (like the uniqueen ones) over a tee shirt, plus some jewelry. Sweater jackets or blazers (there's a cute one at BR now in navy) are also good. I don't like flats either due to feeling like a student and looking stumpier.

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  10. Thanks so much for sharing! I went to check them out online immediately. Very strange that they don't go down to A cups for the smaller band sizes…

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  11. Hi Shirley – it was just with repeated wear outside and bending/flexing them at the stiff points. I hear some ladies like to wear thick socks to break them in at home.

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  12. Hi An – I have not…the bottoms of the soles look interesting!

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  13. Tough call, I love the little extra height of the Vara but I think overall the Varina flats are more contemporary and youthful. THey look better from all angles, whereas sometimes I feel the Vara's might look stumpy from the side with the short heel. And complete flats are easier to walk long distances in.

14. Hi there – I'm using a Canon 6D

15. Yep, they are navy!

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  16. I have not – I will if they get too worn down but the wear and tear isn't too bad if you stay away from gravely/small stone patches that will really rough up leather. For a vintage pair that I own I got the heels resoled but left the ball of foot part as-is.

17. Thanks so much!

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  18. Peanut butter jar lid as a stencil!

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  19. Thanks! I did get them on sale – usually Ferragamos are included in friends & family promos (20-25% off) and also in Bloomingadles' shoe promos (20% off) that happen every other month or so. I stacked one of those sales with a coupon that they emailed to cardholders.

20. Christie wrote:

I just love the scallop skirt and the fact that you made it on your own. You have such amazing DIY skills!

Love your blog.

xo,

Christie

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  21. LOVE this scalloped skirt! You look very chic in this outfit.

sincerelysammie.com

22. Alice wrote:

WOW look very amagazing!!! Love your blog!

Posted 5.9.13 Reply
  23. You look ah-mah-zing! That scalloped shirt is perfect on you.

Hope you're having a great week, lady!

-Hallie

Posted 5.8.13 Reply
  24. Olivia J wrote:

The scalloped skirt is beautiful! I saw a beautiful one at J.Crew…thought about making a dress. Great job.

Corporate Catwalk
    Facebook Page

Posted 5.8.13 Reply
  25. LOVE the scalloped skirt!! so cute!! X

dipped in yellow

Posted 5.8.13 Reply
  26. julieahunt wrote:

Love those flats! So adorable. Not sure if the scalloped hem is for me or not, but it certainly adds some flare to this outfit. And it doesn't seem too short to me, at least not in these pics.

Posted 5.8.13 Reply
  27. Angela wrote:

I seriously love your blog. I'm very petite and always look to your blog for some fun inspiration! Love it all, keep up the amazing fashion for us little ladies. 😉

Posted 5.8.13 Reply
  28. shin wrote:

hey, jean
    those flats are lovely. what size do you wear?
    and how much is your height?? i am an Asian and i am just 4'11

Posted 5.8.13 Reply
  29. Anonymous wrote:

Hey Jean, any suggestions on outfits for casual Friday at the office? I work on a floor full of men, and when I wear heels, I look too dressed up for 'casual' friday. Also the guys seem to point it out too. I want to style some outfits with flats or jeans, but then, I end up looking stumpy or too casual (like a student). I want to retain a professional look while still looking relatively casual. Help!

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  30. Steffi wrote:

I have my eyes on the ferragamo flats in tan, but the navy looks very lovely too!

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  31. Anonymous wrote:

Hi I always read your blog, it is wonderful. Would one day that you did a post about the basic for a petite girl to have in your wardrobe that can be purchased in fast fashion. For I am small and features of children and therefore do not take me seriously. I love the blog. Isabelle. kisses

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  32. Anonymous wrote:

I love the idea of making your own scallop skirt. I'm definitely going to rummage my closet. Jean, from the angle of the photos the sunglasses do not complement your pretty face.

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  33. Doesn't surprise me that the patent leather needs breaking-in. No matter the price point, patent leather is still patent leather. Glad they fit great now though!

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  34. ....... wrote:

love that skirt so cool that its a diy and really lovely outfit too! xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  35. Alannah wrote:

Totally unrelated to this post, but I gotta shout from the rooftops about Nordstrom's new BP Undercover juniors lingerie line. All bra styles come in a 30D and other 30 sizes, and the quality is FAB. They are so cute and the price point is around $35. Great departure from the super basic CK bras I'd been relegated to!!

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  36. Sugar Lane wrote:

Hi gorgeous!

I've just found your blog through art becomes you, followin u!

Visit mine and let me know if you like it 😉

kisses from Spain,

S

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  37. love this scallopped hem, you did a great job – cant wait to see tutorial.
    xo, aiyanajane || http://www.citystylecountrysmile.com

Posted 5.7.13 Reply
  38. Shirley wrote:

Hi Jean! Would love to know how you broke in your shoes. I got the same Ferragamo flats in graphite last winter and they are so uncomfortable that I've barely worn them!

39. Jackie wrote:

I love this color scheme!

40. An Nicole wrote:

I love the skirt, can't wait to see the tutorial! Have you tried the Tieks flats or thinking about purchasing them? They're next on my list for comfy flats, but kind of pricey.

An

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  41. Love the scalloped skirt!

xoxo

Kelly

42. newpetite wrote:

Love the skirt! Would love to see the tutorial.

43. andrea wrote:

Love the skirt and how the scallops turned out! Can't wait to see the tutorial!

xoxo,
    Andrea

44. Giovanna wrote:

Such a cute look! Loving your coat and that scalloped skirt!

xx
    Giovanna

45. Anonymous wrote:

Which do you think is the more versatile style the vara or the Varina? Thanks!

46. Suzie Q wrote:

I've been adoring the scalloped hems that I see pop up in some stores this spring, so that's so great that you did an amazing job on your (round 2) DIY project! I love this look and the flats are lovely.

Suzie Q

47. Jessica wrote:

The skirt was very nicely done!

48. Petite-ish wrote:

Love the bold color palette of these outfits/photos. You look stunning, Jean! Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday!

49. Van Nguyen wrote:

Can't wait to see how scallop hems are done. They look complicated. Great colors in your outfit.

50. Marloes wrote:

Can't wait for the DIY! Looks really cute!

51. Jessy wrote:

So cute! You're making me regret selling the navy scalloped skirt I have, Jean! Can't wait to see your tutorial. : )

52. Sweetie wrote:

These photos are gorgeous! Can I know what camera/lens was used to take these photos? I really want to invest in a good camera. Thank you dear! (:

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  53. What is the color for your Varina flats? They look navy from the pics.

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  54. Nice outfit. I love your DIY skirt.

55. Janki wrote:

I couldn't wait so I did a quick Googling of scalloped hem, so I think I'll try with some of my thrift skirts. What an absolutely adorable way to add some oomph! I have been thrift shopping consistently for over 5 years and hardly buy new. The quality isn't as good. And, now that I am sewing, I feel more aware of the conditions that must be occurring in order for me to get those "affordable" items at mass retailers.
    Great job that Savers has noticed you! You are one of the few bloggers I follow that showcase careful purchases (not hauls with duplicates of each item) and are unabashed about thrift purchases.

Great job as always… I can't wait to try it out. I'm tackling my hemming job now.

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  56. ferragamo shoes are so classic. i agree, they're better for a more narrow foot. my feet really swell up during a day full of standing, so i think i need flats with support, but a little more give. and that skirt is not too short! we could probably all use a little extra toning, lol. it looks lovely tho!

57. Anonymous wrote:

Did you get the flats resoled? I've noticed that Boston's sidewalks tend to wear down leather soled flats as well.

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  58. Adorable outfit! Love the colors!! So envious of your DIY skills! I think the skirt length is perfect for a fun and casual outfit like this one.

59. Anonymous wrote:

Amazing! I initially started reading your blog for the awesome picks and reviews at various petite friendly stores and have stayed for your awesome DIY skills! Love that your blog is such a cultivated mix of high and low end clothes – you're an inspiration to all!!!

60. Anonymous wrote:

I love them! Did you find them on sale somewhere or did you fork up full price for them?

61. Annick wrote:

I found the cutest Banana Republic wool mini-skirt at Value Village the other day. And a gorgeous gold bangle! Love that place!

Bold Subtlety

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  62. you're so right about the break in period. it is disappointing for that price point that they are so painful out of the box. my suede ones were not as bad but i'm scared to even try breaking in the patent pair.

i love how your skirt turned out. inspiring!! xo

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  63. Wow, I love how you just revamped a thrifted skirt, how did you manage to do the scalloped edges though? Did you make your own pattern or use stencils?

– Christine

64. Shira wrote:

Love anything scalloped-cannot believe it's DIY!!!

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  65. Hi there – these are navy.

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  66. Thanks! I took a 5 in these.

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  67. Nice job on that skirt! And that dress is beautiful; I almost like it more as a top!

68. ann wood wrote:

What a great outfit, love the detail on the bottom of your skirt!

blue hue wonderland

69. Anonymous wrote:

Are those varinas black or navy?

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  70. I love the skirt, am going to have to try this myself. 🙂 Looking forward to the tutorial. 🙂

raindropsanddiamonds.blogspot.co.uk

71. farah wrote:

What a gorgeous outfit! I particularly love the flats and the DIY skirt. Very creative and inspiring (:

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  72. Very chic! I love your printed blouse!

fashionfixeshearts.blogspot.com

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  73. Wow, love it! It is very chic and different look!

74. great look!

xoxo from rome
    K.
    kcomekarolina.com

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  75. Great scallop skirt! Cool outfit!
    magnefiestaofmumbai.blogspot.in

76. Michelle wrote:

The hem length came out nice. The red, white, and blue reminds me of Cee. 🙂

77. Peggy wrote:

super cute! love those shoes!!

78. Brittney wrote:

I've definitely had a DIY gone wrong (I was trying to turn a maxi skirt into a mini, but before I knew it, I had a belt!) I love scalloped details and just might end up doing this to one of my old skirts to give it a new look.

Brittney

anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

Posted 5.6.13 Reply
  79. The Varina flats are gorgeous! What size do you wear?

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?