$20 striped maxi dress & find your fabulous at Marshalls event

striped maxi dress ivory blazer

Dress c/o Marshalls, vintage Hermes belt c/o LXR & Co (invite), Chanel WOC
Steve Madden sandals (similar– so cute for under $25), H&M; blazer (review, sleeves slimmed & shortened)
I’ve teamed up with a few lovely bloggers (Lani, Lissy, Khatu and Bettina) to host an event at Marshalls Fenway, which is the newest store location to open up in Boston. If you live in the area and have time on Wednesday May 8th, 6-8pm, I would absolutely love it if you stopped by! We will be sharing our favorite picks from the store and giving away quite a few gift cards to help “find your fabulous.” There will also be several chances to win prizes, including items that each of us picked out. If you’d like to attend, please RSVP here so we can plan for the snacks and prizes accordingly.
striped maxi dress ivory blazer1 I’m a big fan of maxi dresses for the comfort and ease, and this is the second time I’ve scored in the juniors department. The key for me is to find (or tailor) dresses with a simple cut in a stretchy but well-draping material, that just skims over the hips and legs and hits at the top of the foot. The end result is very lengthening and slimming, even when worn with flats or low shoes, as shown here.

striped maxi dress ivory blazer3
This dress is actually a juniors sz M but looked narrow on the hanger and not too long. Sure enough, it fit similar to a petite S and the length was perfect with no hemming needed. I loved it the moment I tried it on, and just slimmed the sides a little. For anyone who is interested, it was $19.99 and the brand is “Max & Riley” – I’ve seen the same dress at two local Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores, but didn’t find anything smaller than a M.

Picture 247
Love the paneled torso as well, which adds to the slimming effect. There is a short exposed zipper at the top back.

striped maxi dress ivory blazer4
striped maxi dress ivory blazer2 For casual days, I love the idea of topping off a maxi dress with a cropped denim or utility jacket. I don’t own the former and my Gap army jacket was too long, so I went with this ivory blazer for a delicious brunch with friends. Long dresses keep legs warm during windy spring days (and delay shaving!) and are surprisingly breathable in hot weather as well – overall a win-win.

75 thoughts on “$20 striped maxi dress & find your fabulous at Marshalls event

• Carla Krae April 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

Lucky find!

• QueenLina April 9, 2013 at 10:50 am
  • Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Is this still available at the 126 Brookline location? I tried at downtown crossing and they didn't have this style!

• Mel April 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

absolute love! wish i could attend the event but have a great time!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

Hi there – Unfortunately none left at that location – it's pretty much hit or miss with looking for specific items. I called around and there's a L left at Bolyston St Marshalls and possibly a M and L at TJ Maxx framingham.

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

Oh wow. Thanks for getting back to me. This is such as awesome dress!! Might try boyleston but Framingham is too out of the way. You're sweet to call around.

• Angie | Pandaphilia.com April 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

these stripes look really good! i can't believe how tall you look in this maxi – i'll have to look around the juniors dept more often

• Kaitlin April 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Ann April 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

Your post updates always brighten my day *___*
    Looking great as always, Jean.

• FashionEdible April 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I'm impressed by the lengthening capability of this dress. As a short(er) person, I tend to stay away from anything maxi because it makes me look even shorter. But this dress does a pretty good job of avoiding that issue!
    FashionEdible Blog

• Joanna Le April 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm

What a great piece! The side paneling really helps with the slimming and lengthening. You look so tall here.

• choochoo April 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So simple and clean! Love the little bit of bling from the bracelet / sandals. You always look so put together. ๐Ÿ™‚

choochoo

• Petite-ish April 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Despite horizontal stripes, you look beautifully tall in the dress. Sounds like a fun event, wish I could come but there is zero percent chance I will be out of the hospital and at Fenway before 8pm ๐Ÿ™

• AlexisB April 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I've always considered the phrase 'petite maxi dress' to be an oxymoron. However, a few of my friends live in them and look so cute! I'm very tempted to try it myself. Your outfit has inspired me! That dress is fantastic – love the paneling on the torso.

You look fabulous!

• โœฟCathieโœฟ April 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Jean, you look a million inches taller! What a pretty maxi dress. I hope I find my perfect one this summer; I've been hunting for one for about 4 years now!

• sequins from life April 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

ฤฐ wonder your height ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Amazing look ๐Ÿ™‚

• Elissa April 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

The panels really make that dress! Can't wait for the event. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mary Ann April 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I love the look, Jean!

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

you look so nice, love the blazer, but I am afraid I can't hem the sleeve myself, btw, can you tell me where you get your haircut? I love your hair style? I usually go to hair adventure…but I like your style better… thanks

Sandy

• Mai Thao April 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I have a show on Hmong TV Network on channel 32.6 in Fresno, CA! We have a large Hmong population here (largest in the U.S., about 32,000). The show is called Maiv Show. We focus on entertainment and learning! Lately, we got a lot of requests from girls to do fashion-related shows, make-up tutorials, and much more. Can you do a video shout out to the Maiv Show? I will be truly grateful! I would love to work with you more in the future…especially when most Asian women (definitely Southeast Asian women) are pretty petite!

-Mai Chou Thao

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I've checked the Weymouth, Hingham, Marshfield & Braintree stores. No one has them. Boo ๐Ÿ™
    As a 4 ft 11 petite this would be perfect.

• MamaMia April 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I tried on the very same dress and size yesterday at TJMaxx. Like you, the length was spot on with flats. Thought the back was a bit revealing, picking the right bras might be tricky [I wish you could show the back of it]. Plus, I no longer have a flat tummy after the baby [I'm jealous]. Thus, back to the rack it went.

• Petitetomatoes April 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Marshalls is full of affordable treasures! I love it there. This dress makes you look so tall.

• Jamie April 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Love that you mentioned the shaving delay haha! Highly motivating for sure!

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm

MamaMia, which TJ maxx did you try it on at?

• Sincerely Sammie April 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Great find at an even greater price! Love the entire look! You could be in a magazine. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Raquelita April 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Ahh! I am so excited for this event- I've never been happier to be in Boston! Can't wait to meet you all ๐Ÿ™‚
    -Rach

• PetiteAsianGirl April 9, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Sorry ladies for having to temporarily turn on the difficult "word verification" step! Been bombarded by thousands of spam comments involving toilets, and don't want to subject you guys to that : )

• Olivia J April 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I simply love the dress with the white blazer. That's next on my "purchase" list.

Corporate Catwalk

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

It looks sooo chic with the blazer!

• โ™ฅ Natalie April 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wooow, looks good with the blazer! I love it (:

• Suzie Q April 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

The maxi dress looks great on you. I agree with the easiness with maxi's. Have a wonderful time at the event, sounds fun!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Michelle H. April 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

That is definitely a gorgeous maxi dress on you! It's so hard to find a flattering striped maxi that fits my 5'0" frame. I should probably consider looking for that at my nearest Marshall's.

• spiffyrosegirl April 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I briefly looked through this comment and it doesn't seem like anyone asked, but by "slimming" the sides a little bit, do you mean you altered/tailored the dress a little on the sides to make it fit?

• AA Imaging April 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I saw this post and immediately went to what I thought was my local Marshalls, I seem to get TJMAX and Marshalls confused. I went to TJMAX and found a dress crumpled up on the floor in my size and it was only $16.99! It is a little different but definitely inspired from your dress. I love the look so much and never would have thought of buying it for myself until I saw you Jean!!! Thank you so much! I just wish so bad I could find that awesome belt! I would post a pick of the dress but don't know that that is allowed. I have styled it with a black belt, black strappy sandals, a thin black valero style mini cardigan that ties in the front and simple black and silver earrings. It is really cool. You are so smart Jean!

• lolitserica April 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

always stay away from maxi dresses because I always figure they would just be super long on me and not fit very well either. will definitely have to visit my local Marshalls now!

• phiphis blog April 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

i adore this on you – you give me hope of finding a maxi that fits.
    home run with this outfit!

xox P

• Oanh Nguyen April 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm

it looks great on you!! i'm 5'-0" and curvy… maxi dresses make me look short, but i'll have to give it a try.

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

downtown crossing and the one on boyleston is out too. ๐Ÿ™ so cute! ๐Ÿ™

• granola2glam.blogspot.com April 10, 2013 at 1:16 am

I am headed to Marshalls tomorrow! They can thank you for that.