$20 striped maxi dress & find your fabulous at Marshalls event

striped maxi dress ivory blazer

Dress c/o Marshalls, vintage Hermes belt c/o LXR & Co (invite), Chanel WOC
Steve Madden sandals (similar– so cute for under $25), H&M; blazer (review, sleeves slimmed & shortened)
I’ve teamed up with a few lovely bloggers (Lani, Lissy, Khatu and Bettina) to host an event at Marshalls Fenway, which is the newest store location to open up in Boston. If you live in the area and have time on Wednesday May 8th, 6-8pm, I would absolutely love it if you stopped by! We will be sharing our favorite picks from the store and giving away quite a few gift cards to help “find your fabulous.” There will also be several chances to win prizes, including items that each of us picked out. If you’d like to attend, please RSVP here so we can plan for the snacks and prizes accordingly.
striped maxi dress ivory blazer1 I’m a big fan of maxi dresses for the comfort and ease, and this is the second time I’ve scored in the juniors department. The key for me is to find (or tailor) dresses with a simple cut in a stretchy but well-draping material, that just skims over the hips and legs and hits at the top of the foot. The end result is very lengthening and slimming, even when worn with flats or low shoes, as shown here.

striped maxi dress ivory blazer3
This dress is actually a juniors sz M but looked narrow on the hanger and not too long. Sure enough, it fit similar to a petite S and the length was perfect with no hemming needed. I loved it the moment I tried it on, and just slimmed the sides a little. For anyone who is interested, it was $19.99 and the brand is “Max & Riley” – I’ve seen the same dress at two local Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores, but didn’t find anything smaller than a M.

Picture 247
Love the paneled torso as well, which adds to the slimming effect. There is a short exposed zipper at the top back.

striped maxi dress ivory blazer4
striped maxi dress ivory blazer2 For casual days, I love the idea of topping off a maxi dress with a cropped denim or utility jacket. I don’t own the former and my Gap army jacket was too long, so I went with this ivory blazer for a delicious brunch with friends. Long dresses keep legs warm during windy spring days (and delay shaving!) and are surprisingly breathable in hot weather as well – overall a win-win.

75 thoughts on “$20 striped maxi dress & find your fabulous at Marshalls event

• Carla Krae April 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

Lucky find!

• QueenLina April 9, 2013 at 10:50 am
  • Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 10:51 am

Is this still available at the 126 Brookline location? I tried at downtown crossing and they didn't have this style!

• Mel April 9, 2013 at 10:58 am

absolute love! wish i could attend the event but have a great time!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

Hi there – Unfortunately none left at that location – it's pretty much hit or miss with looking for specific items. I called around and there's a L left at Bolyston St Marshalls and possibly a M and L at TJ Maxx framingham.

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

Oh wow. Thanks for getting back to me. This is such as awesome dress!! Might try boyleston but Framingham is too out of the way. You're sweet to call around.

• Angie | Pandaphilia.com April 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

these stripes look really good! i can't believe how tall you look in this maxi – i'll have to look around the juniors dept more often

• Kaitlin April 9, 2013 at 11:33 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Ann April 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

Your post updates always brighten my day *___*
    Looking great as always, Jean.

• FashionEdible April 9, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I'm impressed by the lengthening capability of this dress. As a short(er) person, I tend to stay away from anything maxi because it makes me look even shorter. But this dress does a pretty good job of avoiding that issue!
    FashionEdible Blog

• Joanna Le April 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm

What a great piece! The side paneling really helps with the slimming and lengthening. You look so tall here.

• choochoo April 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm

So simple and clean! Love the little bit of bling from the bracelet / sandals. You always look so put together. ๐Ÿ™‚

choochoo

• Petite-ish April 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Despite horizontal stripes, you look beautifully tall in the dress. Sounds like a fun event, wish I could come but there is zero percent chance I will be out of the hospital and at Fenway before 8pm ๐Ÿ™

• AlexisB April 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I've always considered the phrase 'petite maxi dress' to be an oxymoron. However, a few of my friends live in them and look so cute! I'm very tempted to try it myself. Your outfit has inspired me! That dress is fantastic – love the paneling on the torso.

You look fabulous!

• โœฟCathieโœฟ April 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Jean, you look a million inches taller! What a pretty maxi dress. I hope I find my perfect one this summer; I've been hunting for one for about 4 years now!

• sequins from life April 9, 2013 at 12:55 pm

ฤฐ wonder your height ? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Amazing look ๐Ÿ™‚

• Elissa April 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm

The panels really make that dress! Can't wait for the event. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mary Ann April 9, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I love the look, Jean!

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

you look so nice, love the blazer, but I am afraid I can't hem the sleeve myself, btw, can you tell me where you get your haircut? I love your hair style? I usually go to hair adventure…but I like your style better… thanks

Sandy

• Mai Thao April 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I have a show on Hmong TV Network on channel 32.6 in Fresno, CA! We have a large Hmong population here (largest in the U.S., about 32,000). The show is called Maiv Show. We focus on entertainment and learning! Lately, we got a lot of requests from girls to do fashion-related shows, make-up tutorials, and much more. Can you do a video shout out to the Maiv Show? I will be truly grateful! I would love to work with you more in the future…especially when most Asian women (definitely Southeast Asian women) are pretty petite!

-Mai Chou Thao

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I've checked the Weymouth, Hingham, Marshfield & Braintree stores. No one has them. Boo ๐Ÿ™
    As a 4 ft 11 petite this would be perfect.

• MamaMia April 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I tried on the very same dress and size yesterday at TJMaxx. Like you, the length was spot on with flats. Thought the back was a bit revealing, picking the right bras might be tricky [I wish you could show the back of it]. Plus, I no longer have a flat tummy after the baby [I'm jealous]. Thus, back to the rack it went.

• Petitetomatoes April 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Marshalls is full of affordable treasures! I love it there. This dress makes you look so tall.

• Jamie April 9, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Love that you mentioned the shaving delay haha! Highly motivating for sure!

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm

MamaMia, which TJ maxx did you try it on at?

• Sincerely Sammie April 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Great find at an even greater price! Love the entire look! You could be in a magazine. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Raquelita April 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Ahh! I am so excited for this event- I've never been happier to be in Boston! Can't wait to meet you all ๐Ÿ™‚
    -Rach

• PetiteAsianGirl April 9, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Sorry ladies for having to temporarily turn on the difficult "word verification" step! Been bombarded by thousands of spam comments involving toilets, and don't want to subject you guys to that : )

• Olivia J April 9, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I simply love the dress with the white blazer. That's next on my "purchase" list.

Corporate Catwalk

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 4:16 pm

It looks sooo chic with the blazer!

• โ™ฅ Natalie April 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wooow, looks good with the blazer! I love it (:

• Suzie Q April 9, 2013 at 5:06 pm

The maxi dress looks great on you. I agree with the easiness with maxi's. Have a wonderful time at the event, sounds fun!

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Michelle H. April 9, 2013 at 7:16 pm

That is definitely a gorgeous maxi dress on you! It's so hard to find a flattering striped maxi that fits my 5'0" frame. I should probably consider looking for that at my nearest Marshall's.

• spiffyrosegirl April 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I briefly looked through this comment and it doesn't seem like anyone asked, but by "slimming" the sides a little bit, do you mean you altered/tailored the dress a little on the sides to make it fit?

• AA Imaging April 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I saw this post and immediately went to what I thought was my local Marshalls, I seem to get TJMAX and Marshalls confused. I went to TJMAX and found a dress crumpled up on the floor in my size and it was only $16.99! It is a little different but definitely inspired from your dress. I love the look so much and never would have thought of buying it for myself until I saw you Jean!!! Thank you so much! I just wish so bad I could find that awesome belt! I would post a pick of the dress but don't know that that is allowed. I have styled it with a black belt, black strappy sandals, a thin black valero style mini cardigan that ties in the front and simple black and silver earrings. It is really cool. You are so smart Jean!

• lolitserica April 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

always stay away from maxi dresses because I always figure they would just be super long on me and not fit very well either. will definitely have to visit my local Marshalls now!

• phiphis blog April 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

i adore this on you – you give me hope of finding a maxi that fits.
    home run with this outfit!

xox P

• Oanh Nguyen April 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm

it looks great on you!! i'm 5'-0" and curvy… maxi dresses make me look short, but i'll have to give it a try.

• Anonymous April 9, 2013 at 10:33 pm

downtown crossing and the one on boyleston is out too. ๐Ÿ™ so cute! ๐Ÿ™

• granola2glam.blogspot.com April 10, 2013 at 1:16 am

I am headed to Marshalls tomorrow! They can thank you for that.

• Kimberly Tucker April 10, 2013 at 9:40 am

Very classy! I love the dress and blazer with the flat sandals.

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hi Jean,

I am not one to duplicate someone's outfits but I loved this outfit as soon as you posted it. I called a few Marshalls and TJ Maxx around the South Shore area where I live but to no avail. I work in Cambridge and had forgotten that a TJ Maxx opened up at the Cambridgeside Galleria. Lo and behold they had one in a size medium! I had them put it on hold and went to try it on last night and it fit great with no alterations needed! YIPEEEE!!! I have a cute rosette belt that I paired it with and a blazer similar to yours. Viola!

As a 41 year old 4 ft 11 petite its maddening to find clothes without looking too young,so I tend to skip the Junior's dept more often than none. This is one purchase that I know I'll be happy with!

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 11:27 am

Ah! Im in cambridge and I forgot about cambridgeside!! Did they have more of this dress? Please say yes!

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hi Anonymous, I didn't ask but give them a call. Its tucked out of the way in the mall near Best Buy so many folks might not know about it. They were great about looking and holding.

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 12:52 pm

wow! how do you manage to look 10ft tall in a maxi dress and flats? you look summer ready. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Manon April 10, 2013 at 1:40 pm

You look so tall in the 4th photo! So much for the advice to avoid maxis if you're short… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks! I called and they are out. Its ok. Tjmax and Marshall's around Boston are probably wondering why there's a spike in interest for this particular dress. Blame jean!

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Bummer to Anonymous looking for the dress at Cambridgeside. ๐Ÿ™ I must have called about 8 stores yesterday. I tried looking up the company to see if I could order on line. No avail. I did see that someone is selling one on ebay and its a size small for anyone interested and you can see what the back looks like. 3 bids so far and its up to $30.99.

Yes Jean you are causing a stampede to all the local Marshalls & TJ Maxx!! LOL!

• Anonymous April 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I saw that listing but don't care to spend $30 (possobly more!) for a $20 dress. Part of the appeal is that this is an affordable piece! I am defintely inspired by jean to try out maxi dresses but its not imperative for me to get this exact same dress. Hopefully I'll find something similar another day!

• Ange_du_nord April 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Comfy maxi dress in my favorite: stripes! Hope it's still at my Marshalls.

• Jeannine520 April 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

What a great buy. You look lovely!

• Anonymous April 11, 2013 at 10:36 am

Agreed Anonymous! No need for a bidding war on a $20 dress. Good luck on your quest to find a great alternative. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chica-Esperta April 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

From a fellow petite, I love stripes and wear them anywhere but am currently looking for a striped minidress. Every maxi I've tried on makes me feel like those birthday cakes with a doll stuffed inside (http://whendoibecomecompetentagain.blogspot.pt/2012/10/princess-doll-cake.html)

But you manage to look great in a maxi and not at all overwhelmed! Any tips?
    For any fashion questions, try theasksection.blogspot.com

• Sandhya April 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Dee April 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Like the dress and absolutely heart the belt. Is it still available.

yamkantravel.blogspot.com

• Anonymous April 11, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hi Jean, can you do a post sharing your exercise routine or talk about what you do to stay in shape? Thanks!

• Anonymous April 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Hi Jean, I love the idea of pairing this dress with a white blazer. I have a similar dress and can't wait to try it with my white blazer.

I am invited to a casual beach wedding reception in California in May. Any suggestions on what to wear? Thanks!

• Joy April 13, 2013 at 3:07 am

Such a cute dress. Too bad the only Marshall's in my area is relocating, and going under construction =

shortandsweetjoy

• Anonymous April 13, 2013 at 9:33 am

I was thrilled to find this in a med and large. However when i tried it on, the dress was really short! ๐Ÿ™ im 5'3 and thought maybe I'd give it a shot. The dress fell awkwardly to above my ankles and did not graze the floor like it did for jean. Don't bother looking for this dress if u are taller than 5 ft!!

• Anonymous April 14, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Hi Jean! Where did you get your necklace?

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 7:59 am

Ann – that's so sweet of you to say. Thank you for reading along!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:00 am

Hi Sandy! I go to zen hair in Kenmore, run by a guy named Freddy. I ask him to thin it out underneath and give slight layers. I've been going to him for years but admit it's hit or miss. I've had a great haircut and I've had a mediocre one, like this month lol.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Ah – I forgot to mention the racerback back. I plan on wearing a strapless or regular bra just with one of those racerback converters – it's like a little plastic piece that you slide onto your bra straps to hold them together in the back.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Hi there – yes I meant tailoring the sides from the inside, about an inch along each side.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

I'm absolutely thrilled to hear that you found one and it fits perfectly! I also have been skipping the juniors department for the low quality and youthfulness, and this encourages me to take a quick peek more often.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:09 am

Interesting find! I called so many stores for a size small and ended up spending a few hours altering, so probably would've willingly coughed up the extra $ for the right size on eBay. Marshalls/TJ Maxx have many racks of maxi dresses gearing up for the summer, so I'm thinking they will have similar items soon (along with H&M;, Urban Outfitters and other similar stores).

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:11 am

Hi there – I have to admit I'm not too big on exercise. I work out only once a week and usually do cardio (run on treadmill) for about 15 minutes, then do light lifting (5-10lb weights) to tone arms, and some crunches at home.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

I think a colorful or printed maxi dress plus a wrap and flat sandals (definitely avoid heels for the beach) would be perfect!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:14 am

I forgot to mention, its the "Ever After" heart necklace c/o Stella Dot

They're out of gold now, but I've seen similar on eBay for a bit less!

• PetiteAsianGirl April 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

If it worked perfectly for me, I can imagine an awkward length for someone a few inches taller : / Sorry to hear about this one!

• Emmett April 16, 2013 at 7:20 am

Hi I enjoyed your blog posting just wonder if it's already warm enough to go out without socks. stripes are always looking good ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous April 22, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love this dress! What brand is it? I don't live in Baltimore. Where can I get this dress in Baltimore? Or may be online?

• lisacng @ expandng.com April 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I love those panels too!

• Lorena July 1, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I think you did a marvelous job in pairing a very casual dress with a blazer – works like magic.

• Lorena November 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hi I am linking my post to your page!