If you’ve ever passed on a low-back top or dress due to qualms about what bra to wear, here’s a quick DIY project that might nix such qualms in the future. After posting about a few holiday dresses this season, several readers (thank you all!) informed me about a low-back bra converter. It’s very affordable to buy, but not always easy to find right when you need it.
Thankfully, the converter design is not rocket science. The night before my event, I scrounged up some supplies at home and finished one in 5 minutes. All you need is:
1) Snip off the clasps from an old bra, making sure to leave enough “band” on to attach to the elastic. Bra clasps for the most part are universally sized, but do test out the clasps on the bra you plan on wearing just to be sure.
2) Sew one clasp to the end of an elastic band. Make sure you sew it on securely because there will be tension pulling on the band.
3) Clasp it on one end of your bra, and wrap around your tummy to measure the length you need. You want it to be taut so that the tension pulls the back of bra band down low enough, but not so tight that you’re uncomfortable. Cut your elastic to the length you need, then sew on the second clasp. Voila! This will not work on completely back-less items, but is adjustable enough to work on a range of lower-dipping backs.
A few of you have asked how the Zara sequin dress in XS worked out, so here is a belated update. There was once a time when I’d go for the tightest fit possible, but that time has long passed. The XS will work nicely for some, but on me, it was very snug and less flattering than the small. For reference, I’m about 5ft tall and 32-24-32.
I did find the waist on the S to be slightly loose, and altered it last minute by making a small incision along the inner lining. There’s a zipper along one side of the torso (which I didn’t want to touch), so I took in the other side by about an inch, right at the waist line. The amount was small enough to not make the dress too lopsided, but enough to make a little difference in the overall silhouette. Photos above are post- DIY alteration.