• Petite Fashion Challenge #12 – From Night to Day

This month’s PFC is hosted by IamKhatu. Be sure to visit her post to see everyone’s entries!

The challenge: “From Night to Day: Restyle a glamorous look that you would typically wear for a night-out-on-the-town into daytime casual wear. Bonus points if you can restyle it for work!

I like that this challenge started with a glamorous night look and worked backwards to daytime casual. It was a true challenge for me because I don’t have many fancy pieces – I can probably count the number of times I’ve had a glamorous night-out-on-the-town on one hand. I tried to get creative with my peplum cocktail dress and silk paisley dress, but Nick said the results were scary. Alas, I took the easy way out with this gold sequin skirt:
    pfc12

Night: J.Crew Factory sequin skirt (similar in 00-16), H&M; blouse (old), Payless pumps, Chanel WOC
    Day: Target chambray (similar in petite/reg, 3 colors), J.Crew cardi & belt, Tory B. flats (similar), H&M; bag

I started with this previously-shown look, and replaced dressy pieces with casual and comfortable garments. Satiny lace top was swapped for a well-worn chambray shirt and cotton cardigan. Sky high pumps were replaced by broken-in flats. Veteran brown crossbody bag instead of a caviar clutch. I would’ve liked a bag that stood out less, but this had to do. Continue reading for more photos…

pfc12-3
    pfc12-1
    The end result is something I would wear under a warm coat for strolling around Boston on the weekends. Accessories shown below: Ann Taylor necklace, Michael Kors Tortoise watch.
    pfc12-2

This has been a Petite Fashion Challenge. For more information on PFC’s, visit this thread in the AN Forum.

68 thoughts on “Petite Fashion Challenge #12 – From Night to Day

• Alterations Needed January 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Ah ha! So you went with the skirt! I was wondering which item you'd pick as your dressy item. =)

I really like your daytime look. I've never met a chambray outfit of yours I didn't like.

• Anonymous January 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Love your night-to-day transformation!! I am liking the sequin skirt more and more as so many petite bloggers were able to pull it off for a day look.
      Happy New Year!

Jannie

• Michelle January 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I love that the cardigan and skirt tie in with your flats! 🙂

Both looks are great! I am curious if I can re-create your day look with what I have in my closet!

• Kiki January 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm

That skirt! That skirt!!! Love it! Both looks are stunning, and I love the unexpected mix in the 'day' look. Great job as always, my dear! xo

• PetiteLittleGirl January 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I love both looks, Jean! I also like the color of your cardigan. It's very different. Did you make it to work on time this morning? We both picked a sequin skirt for this challenge.

P.S: Did you unbutton the last 3 buttons purposely? lol =)

• CynthiaC January 5, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Question: Is the bag in the casual look pic heavy for its size? I've always wanted to get a that type of bag, but the ones I've seen tend to be on the heavy side. Anyway, I really like your first, formal look as it'll work on more people. I think the second look can end up bulky on some people.

By the way, I'd love to see that "scary" look as an outtake – LOL…

• Tam January 5, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Fabulous looks, Jean! You look flawless, as always. The chambray skirt looks great juxtaposed with your sequin skirt (a new classic, maybe?).

As a side note, can you tell us more about your oversized watch, please? Did you have to have links removed? I have found a few I like, but I've been told they can't remove enough links for them to fit me well.

• Forever Fashion January 5, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I would love a skirt like this!

• R.L. January 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I especially love the 2nd look! The chambray and sequins pairing is a winner in my book and I hope you do more with these.

• Victoria January 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I absolutely love the "night" look! You are beautiful and definitely glamorous!

• Megan January 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I went with the same skirt for my PFC as well! I'm finding that it's sooo versatile for day and night. I love how you paired it with all black for night and the chambray for day. Perfect!!

• Beautygirl24 January 5, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Both looks are gorgeous, and I love all of the looks I have seen you girls post for this challenge. However, yours is my favorite because I've always wanted a skirt like that!

• Ella Pretty Blog January 5, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Love the gorgeous sparkly skirt. What nail color are you wearing? I want!

• Nata January 5, 2012 at 10:07 pm

You pulled this off flawlessly! I almost tried to go with a sequin skirt for this challenge but chickened out. Now I think I could restyle it for daytime 🙂

• Olyvia January 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm

you look amazing in blouses and especially with that sequin skirt!

• Laura Frost January 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Well done! Gotta love that trusty chambray shirt!

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* January 5, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Well done Jean! I love all your chambray outfits, always so chic 🙂

• Elle January 5, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This skirt…is perfection and I like both ways you wore it. Love all the layers in the day look!

• just tututiny January 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I can't get over how gorgeous your sequin skirt is J! It is beautiful both in the night and day look. But I esp. love it paired with the chambray!

I had so much fun joining you ladies for my 1st PFC 😉

• SewPetiteGal January 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I went with a similar look for day but not as well executed (I have not yet been "chambrayed" so I just used a blue button down + gray cardi). I do love that sequin skirt – it's so fresh and now!

• Fitted Frames January 5, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Are those the brown tights you mentioned in your other posts? If so, I love how it tones down the skirt! Really pretty!

• Kellie January 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm

love love love your outfits!

• Honey from VeryHoney.com January 5, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I love both looks!!

• With Each Passing Day January 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I was wondering if you were going to use your sequin skirt for this challenge. =)I really love the black lace top you have.

• Tori January 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Great transition pieces! I just adore that skirt!!!

• my mini bag January 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Love the outfit and how you transformed it from night to day.

• Vivian January 5, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I've always seen sequin skirts and they scare me, but I'm now considering getting one… The way you make it work, I'm tempted to try it… Gorgeous outfits!!! As usual.

• girl in the poodle shoes January 5, 2012 at 11:25 pm

So cute, I love the day look!
      Girl in the Poodle Shoes

• Helen January 5, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Love the way you mix high design pieces and affordable ones together. I love the versatile H&M; brown bag that you used many times in your posts. I haven't seen one in store.
      Your gorgeous payless pumps reminds of my recent purchase from Ann Taylor,the Lucia Suede Platform Wedges.Their current price is $49.88 (final sale). I learned from your blog that the ann taylor shoes fit true to size, so I got one in each color. Hope they will work.
      Thank you for your amazing posts again!

• bevy January 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

this is a great transition from night to day! I really like it!

• The Little Dust Princess January 6, 2012 at 12:04 am

Great seeing another PFC post with this skirt! I love your "night" look.

• Petite Therapy January 6, 2012 at 12:12 am

Great outfits! I love how you make the sequin skirt seem so doable.

• Simply x Classic January 6, 2012 at 12:23 am

so pretty! i'm 5'5 can i still join pfc?

• rjs January 6, 2012 at 1:07 am

I like the night look but definitely prefer the day look. It's perfect. You've convinced me to go find a chambray shirt now!!!! (I'm not kidding)

• MsLaBelleMel January 6, 2012 at 1:24 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• ~Mel January 6, 2012 at 1:26 am

yay for sequin!! =D

• AubreyOhDang! January 6, 2012 at 1:59 am

everything kelly said. nuf said.

• lin January 6, 2012 at 2:06 am

i love how you styled the sequin skirt from night to day look in this challenge. the skirt is so versatile. very chic as always. thanks for showing great ways of wearing it whether day or night. 😉

• Karen (littlepiecefnb) January 6, 2012 at 2:51 am

I love both looks! The dressed down one is super cute and layering rocks!

• Katie January 6, 2012 at 5:04 am

i love that skirt, reminds me of one from zara 🙂 i totally need to get a chambray shirt, i never even considered them until i started reading your blog, thanks for the inspiration!

Katie x