Petite Fashion Challenge #12 – From Night to Day

This month’s PFC is hosted by IamKhatu. Be sure to visit her post to see everyone’s entries!

The challenge: “From Night to Day: Restyle a glamorous look that you would typically wear for a night-out-on-the-town into daytime casual wear. Bonus points if you can restyle it for work!

I like that this challenge started with a glamorous night look and worked backwards to daytime casual. It was a true challenge for me because I don’t have many fancy pieces – I can probably count the number of times I’ve had a glamorous night-out-on-the-town on one hand. I tried to get creative with my peplum cocktail dress and silk paisley dress, but Nick said the results were scary. Alas, I took the easy way out with this gold sequin skirt:
pfc12

Night: J.Crew Factory sequin skirt (similar in 00-16), H&M; blouse (old), Payless pumps, Chanel WOC
Day: Target chambray (similar in petite/reg, 3 colors), J.Crew cardi & belt, Tory B. flats (similar), H&M; bag

I started with this previously-shown look, and replaced dressy pieces with casual and comfortable garments. Satiny lace top was swapped for a well-worn chambray shirt and cotton cardigan. Sky high pumps were replaced by broken-in flats. Veteran brown crossbody bag instead of a caviar clutch. I would’ve liked a bag that stood out less, but this had to do. Continue reading for more photos…

pfc12-3
pfc12-1
The end result is something I would wear under a warm coat for strolling around Boston on the weekends. Accessories shown below: Ann Taylor necklace, Michael Kors Tortoise watch.
pfc12-2

This has been a Petite Fashion Challenge. For more information on PFC’s, visit this thread in the AN Forum.

68 Comments

1. Rose wrote:

Where did you get your cardigan? Love the outfits on you. If I tried something like that, I would get a lot of second glances!

Posted 2.23.15 Reply
  2. Anonymous wrote:

where can i find that skirt or something like it???

Posted 12.19.13 Reply
  3. Krecipe wrote:

As much as I loved this look, I ordered Old navy petit chambray shirts….and when it delivered, I was really disappointed about the poor craftsmanship and weird size. I'm still looking for "the best chambray shirts ever" and I found J.crew has a lot of chambray options this spring including the crew cut(Keeper chambray shirts caught my eyes). J.crew store in Hawaii don't carry many petite size nor crew cut line. It would be great if you do a feature story about the best chambray shirts ever. Everybody needs at least one chambray shirts I guess. Have a wonderful day ๐Ÿ™‚

-your sincere reader Ji-Hye

Posted 2.6.12 Reply
  4. Daisy wrote:

i love both looks ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 1.9.12 Reply
  5. @CynthiaC It's not heavy at all. It's not real leather, but even if it were, just look for less hardware and other unnecessary trimmings to keep the weight down.

@Tam Hi Tam, I got 3 links removed from that watch and they siad they could've done more. I'm curious what kind of watch the SA's are saying can't be re-sized to fit well. I guess you have to look for ones with small links so the overall wristband shape isn't warped after links are removed.

@Fitted Frames Yes, good eye…they're Target girls tights.

@Simply x Classic Of course! Just visit the AN forum or stay tuned on Twitter for the next challenge announcement : )

@Anonymous I like both colors but there's something about cognac brown that I think is really classic and goes with a number of colors. also, there are more belts, shoes, and boots that are made in cognac brown so I feel it's easier to match.

@Emily I have black and olive, the black to me are the most versatile. Be warned though that they take quite a bit of breaking in before they are comfortable!

@Happy Days A shirt plus cardigan over it doesn't feel bulky at all, but the added belt makes it a little less comfortable. The belt is important in visually defining the waist, but to be honest I'd probably go without it for casual wear.

Posted 1.8.12 Reply
  6. Great job as always Jean. Always late to trends now I feel like I NEED a sequined skirt even though the holidays are long over ๐Ÿ˜›

Posted 1.8.12 Reply
  7. Happy Days wrote:

Hi, Jean. Like many people have said already, I love your night look. I think the mixture of a bit of black lace combined with a sparkly gold skirt is a great combination. I can see myself wearing the same thing… Well, if I had something like that in my closet. Time to go shopping! ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't think I can pull off your day look though. You look fine, but I would look like I just gained ten pounds. I was just wondering: does it feel bulky and hard to move in?

Posted 1.8.12 Reply
  8. Emily wrote:

Love your night time look! How many pairs of Tory Burch flats do you own? And what colors do you recommend getting? I'm about to purchase my first pair. Thank you!

Posted 1.7.12 Reply
  9. A real fresh look!!

Posted 1.7.12 Reply
  10. So cute! I Love your ingenuity ๐Ÿ™‚

XX Kathryn

Posted 1.7.12 Reply
  11. Anonymous wrote:

hi Jean, I love the day look, especially the cognac H&M; clutch. I am deciding between a cogac color cluch (similar to yours) and a taupe one. In your opinion, which one do you think is more versatile that can go from day to night? Thank you

12. Jen wrote:

I never would have thought you could go casual with the sequin skirt – shows how much I know! I really like both those looks.

13. kris wrote:

LOVE the day outfit! I would have never thought of that combination, but it works really well together!

14. Alexandra wrote:

I don't like the day outfit… too many things put together and they don't flow…

15. Rania wrote:

I LOVE the daytime look. It's so chic and very well put together. The skirt is definitely the perfect piece to compliment the more relaxed feel of the outfit. x

16. Ping wrote:

jean– i never get tired of this skirt! i love love it ๐Ÿ™‚
    i really like the day outfit. it's says i'm fun, chic and stylish but don't take me too seriously. hahah not sure if that makes sense. i like how you dressed down the skirt with the cardi, chambray, fun tights and flats.

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  17. Lovely! My ny resolution is to buy clothes that can be dressed in many ways- it's a challenge, but your posts really help! Brava, Jean ๐Ÿ™‚

18. grace wrote:

So cute!! I like how you say your first attempt with your peplum dress had Nick saying the results were scary. =P Too funny. Both are very cute looks ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  19. Love that sequin skirt! This night-to-day look transitions effortlessly.

20. JJ wrote:

Adorable looks! I'm loving the layering you did here – definitely necessary for Boston in January!

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  21. Ohhh, I love both looks! The night look is just beautiful with this black blouse and the day look is nice with the flats and the jeans jacket. Nice!

22. Cee wrote:

I remember you saying before that you prefer straight skirts over bell-shaped ones. I beg to differ! They look great on you. I still struggle wearing it at the right height on my body for the perfect "flare." I'm going to have to experiment some and also try belting at different spots. Thanks for the ideas, Jean!

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  23. Love the sequin skirt! I have the same chambray shirt from Target…thanks for giving me another way to style it!

-Sharon

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  24. Love what you did here Jean! Both looks are fabulous, I'm really loving that sequined skirt!

25. Amy wrote:

I really love how you layered your shirt and cardigan! I must try this one day. I wish I had your fashion sense.

26. Luna wrote:

I'm so happy I found your blog! You have such a great and creative eye. Looking forward to reading your upcoming reviews and tips.

Luna

27. Angie wrote:

they both look flawless! I almost want to go out and buy a gold skirt…

xoxo
    angie
    sundaybelle.com

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  28. I really like both outfits!! You look lovely!!

The Life After

29. Katie wrote:

i love that skirt, reminds me of one from zara ๐Ÿ™‚ i totally need to get a chambray shirt, i never even considered them until i started reading your blog, thanks for the inspiration!

Katie x

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  30. I love both looks! The dressed down one is super cute and layering rocks!

31. lin wrote:

i love how you styled the sequin skirt from night to day look in this challenge. the skirt is so versatile. very chic as always. thanks for showing great ways of wearing it whether day or night. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  32. everything kelly said. nuf said.

33. ~Mel wrote:

yay for sequin!! =D

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

35. rjs wrote:

I like the night look but definitely prefer the day look. It's perfect. You've convinced me to go find a chambray shirt now!!!! (I'm not kidding)

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  36. so pretty! i'm 5'5 can i still join pfc?

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  37. Great outfits! I love how you make the sequin skirt seem so doable.

Posted 1.6.12 Reply
  38. Great seeing another PFC post with this skirt! I love your "night" look.

39. bevy wrote:

this is a great transition from night to day! I really like it!

40. Helen wrote:

Love the way you mix high design pieces and affordable ones together. I love the versatile H&M; brown bag that you used many times in your posts. I haven't seen one in store.
    Your gorgeous payless pumps reminds of my recent purchase from Ann Taylor,the Lucia Suede Platform Wedges.Their current price is $49.88 (final sale). I learned from your blog that the ann taylor shoes fit true to size, so I got one in each color. Hope they will work.
    Thank you for your amazing posts again!

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  41. So cute, I love the day look!
    Girl in the Poodle Shoes

42. Vivian wrote:

I've always seen sequin skirts and they scare me, but I'm now considering getting one… The way you make it work, I'm tempted to try it… Gorgeous outfits!!! As usual.

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  43. Love the outfit and how you transformed it from night to day.

44. Tori wrote:

Great transition pieces! I just adore that skirt!!!

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  45. I was wondering if you were going to use your sequin skirt for this challenge. =)I really love the black lace top you have.

46. I love both looks!!

47. Kellie wrote:

love love love your outfits!

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  48. Are those the brown tights you mentioned in your other posts? If so, I love how it tones down the skirt! Really pretty!

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  49. I went with a similar look for day but not as well executed (I have not yet been "chambrayed" so I just used a blue button down + gray cardi). I do love that sequin skirt – it's so fresh and now!

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  50. I can't get over how gorgeous your sequin skirt is J! It is beautiful both in the night and day look. But I esp. love it paired with the chambray!

I had so much fun joining you ladies for my 1st PFC ๐Ÿ˜‰

51. Elle wrote:

This skirt…is perfection and I like both ways you wore it. Love all the layers in the day look!

52. Well done Jean! I love all your chambray outfits, always so chic ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  53. Well done! Gotta love that trusty chambray shirt!

54. Olyvia wrote:

you look amazing in blouses and especially with that sequin skirt!

55. Nata wrote:

You pulled this off flawlessly! I almost tried to go with a sequin skirt for this challenge but chickened out. Now I think I could restyle it for daytime ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  56. Love the gorgeous sparkly skirt. What nail color are you wearing? I want!

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  57. Both looks are gorgeous, and I love all of the looks I have seen you girls post for this challenge. However, yours is my favorite because I've always wanted a skirt like that!

58. Megan wrote:

I went with the same skirt for my PFC as well! I'm finding that it's sooo versatile for day and night. I love how you paired it with all black for night and the chambray for day. Perfect!!

59. Victoria wrote:

I absolutely love the "night" look! You are beautiful and definitely glamorous!

60. R.L. wrote:

I especially love the 2nd look! The chambray and sequins pairing is a winner in my book and I hope you do more with these.

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  61. I would love a skirt like this!

62. Tam wrote:

Fabulous looks, Jean! You look flawless, as always. The chambray skirt looks great juxtaposed with your sequin skirt (a new classic, maybe?).

As a side note, can you tell us more about your oversized watch, please? Did you have to have links removed? I have found a few I like, but I've been told they can't remove enough links for them to fit me well.

63. CynthiaC wrote:

Question: Is the bag in the casual look pic heavy for its size? I've always wanted to get a that type of bag, but the ones I've seen tend to be on the heavy side. Anyway, I really like your first, formal look as it'll work on more people. I think the second look can end up bulky on some people.

By the way, I'd love to see that "scary" look as an outtake – LOL…

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  64. I love both looks, Jean! I also like the color of your cardigan. It's very different. Did you make it to work on time this morning? We both picked a sequin skirt for this challenge.

P.S: Did you unbutton the last 3 buttons purposely? lol =)

65. Kiki wrote:

That skirt! That skirt!!! Love it! Both looks are stunning, and I love the unexpected mix in the 'day' look. Great job as always, my dear! xo

66. Michelle wrote:

I love that the cardigan and skirt tie in with your flats! ๐Ÿ™‚

Both looks are great! I am curious if I can re-create your day look with what I have in my closet!

67. Anonymous wrote:

Love your night-to-day transformation!! I am liking the sequin skirt more and more as so many petite bloggers were able to pull it off for a day look.
    Happy New Year!

Jannie

Posted 1.5.12 Reply
  68. Ah ha! So you went with the skirt! I was wondering which item you'd pick as your dressy item. =)

I really like your daytime look. I've never met a chambray outfit of yours I didn't like.

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?