• Holiday Party Outfit: Casual Sequins Edition (+ Nick’s bday)

krissyparty1

Skirt: J.Crew factory sz 0 (similar in kids XS-XXL) (similar straight cut mini in reg 0-14), Sweater: Ann Taylor in “Vintage Wine” sz XXSP,  Shirt: Gap, Tights: Target (similar in 12 colors)

A week or two ago, I stumbled across this skirt on a J.Crew outlet sale rack. The plain side of me would typically never consider such a piece, but after seeing Khatu don her sequin shorts for various occasions and Wendy style her sequin mini, I felt inspired to add it to my wardrobe. Since then, I can’t stop reaching for it. You don’t need to have glamorous style like those two ladies to rock the sequin bottoms – I love the look of casual sweaters (waiting patiently for cable crewnecks to arrive) and button-ups juxtaposed against sparkly sequins.

krissyparty

Pumps: CL Elissa 100’s sz 35.5 (similar in sizes 4-11)

I wore this outfit to a casual holiday party in a cozy setting. It was brisk outside, so I was pleased to discover how well brown tights work with gold and burgundy. For anyone interested in this skirt (style #46626), J.Crew factory just added a nationwide inventory system…, and they now ship to homes for $8. If you call a factory store during a non-busy time, an SA should be able to look up your size in the system. From what I heard, they are now out of 0’s in this but have sizes 2-14. I’m not the biggest fan of J.Crew bell skirt shapes, but the elastic waistband helps me save on alterations. I would’ve preferred a straight up and down mini, but the ones I’ve seen did not fit and sequin alterations would be costly.

Bottom left: Originally, I wanted to do a brighter palette with my mustard top, but the tee was too thin and showed all the lines underneath.
    Bottom right: Earlier this week for my dear Nick’s birthday, I wore this skirt yet again with a bow blouse for an extra festive look.

nickbday5

We celebrated Nick’s birthday with a small group of friends at Island Creek Oyster Bar in Kenmore Square – for fans of fresh seafood & interesting cocktails, this is a great place with excellent service. Upon arriving, we were surprised with custom menus:

nickbday3

The waitstaff also brought out 3 rounds of complimentary treats for the birthday boy, who was very pleased:

nickbday

I usually get their signature lobster pasta with freshly-made noodles, lobster chunks, velvety mushrooms, and pieces of tender braised shortrib – a delish combination!

nickbday1

Surprise!

nickbday6

We then moved to Eastern Standard (next door, under the same management?) for a nightcap:

nickbday4

Couple shots from both nights:

nickbday2

Readers – What do you think of the sequin mini? What would you pair it with?

79 thoughts on “Holiday Party Outfit: Casual Sequins Edition (+ Nick’s bday)

• CC December 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

I love the skirt 🙂 I think you paired it really well!*

• Felicia December 4, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love it! Now I'm wanting a sequined skirt. 🙂 You two are a really cute couple too.

• L.T. December 4, 2011 at 10:03 am

I love seeing sequins around the holidays. I even accept them during the daytime.

• thegoodgirlgoneblog.com December 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

I LOVE it! Sequins are so much fun, especially when you can dress them down and wear them in a more everyday outfit.

• PetiteLittleGirl December 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

I never thought that I would like sequins but I am now having a second thought =) Mixing sequined items into everyday wear is not an easy job and you styled it well. My favorite look is the one you wore to Nick's BD. Happy belated BD to Nick. Looks like you two had a great time together.

• Laura Frost December 4, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love it! I keep trying on every sequin thing I see, but haven't found the perfect thing yet. They are especially perfect for Christmas parties. I love your red shoes too. I have them on my wish list now. Thanks for the inspiration!

• dcresider December 4, 2011 at 10:22 am

tres chic. love the whole look.

• Cathy December 4, 2011 at 10:34 am

The sequin skirt look really great on you! Love how you paired it with bold colors and neutrals. I'm not sure if I can pull it off though!

• trang December 4, 2011 at 10:39 am

this makes me want a sequin skirt, but I know I can't rock it like you!

ps. you and nick are just adorable. cuteness!

• dietingfashions December 4, 2011 at 10:48 am

Yes after seeing Wendy's Holiday Pairing with the Sequin Mini, I'm dying to get one. But I haven't found one I like yet.

I think I would keep it casual too, with a ruffle shouldered turtleneck. For more special events, I would probably add a statement necklace and extra accessories.

If I'm just shopping or going out with the family, I would probably just wrap a nice scarf over the turtleneck.

The wheels are turning with endless outfits now.

• CynthiaC December 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

I love the skirt – made the otherwise very 1990s prep school look more 21st century! 🙂

• SugarNikita December 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

Love the skirt. So many ways to pair it! (I love the mustard tee with it too…such a shame it was too thin.) Btw, you two make a very handsome couple!

• Mary Ann December 4, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love this skirt and the ways you've styled it – it's so fun!

• Vicky December 4, 2011 at 11:55 am

Love the skirt and how you style it. I can see it being a very versatile piece in your wardrobe. The gold colored sequins work very well for night out, parties, etc. Being a mom and have very little occasions to wear it, I have to suppress my urge to hunt it down. Not that I have a chance once you post it. 🙂 I have found a black sequins mini from Loft and thought it would be better suited for me since it's more subdued and I can wear it to work.
      Happy belated birthday to Nick!

• mai December 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I absolutely LOVE your sequin skirt and have been considering buying the one from gap! I think pairing it with a chambray button up would be the perfect mix of casual/dressy.

• newpetite December 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Love the sequined Mini and love it more with the mustard top!

• Katherine December 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You did a beautiful job on pairing the skirt! Love it both ways. And why did I not find out about this restaurant earlier?? The lobster noodles look delish!

• Megan December 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I bought a black sequin mini this time last year, but I had absolutely no idea how to wear it! It's just been sitting in my closet for a year… Now I can go ahead and wear it!
      I'm very tempted to buy the J Crew gold mini though… it looks more festive and girly! I'm off to hunt it down now! 🙂

Thanks for the outfit inspiration, Jean! 🙂

• Charlene @ Sweetchic December 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Love the skirt on you, and especially because it has pockets!

And can I say that lobster pasta sounds AMAZING… drool!

• Christina December 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

What a handsome couple you two are! Love the sequenced mini!

• Petite-ish December 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I tried on the gap kids version yesterday at the cambridgeside galleria (in size 12) and it fit well, was pretty similar at the bottom (although it has a subtle bubble hem), but the top is a different color satin that makes it maybe more comfortable but also more childish looking. At the mall, I also scored this necklace for $5!

• Megan December 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I called the only factory store in Arizona (my state) with no luck, and then a few in California with no luck as well. Apparently this is a very popular skirt.
      Luckily, an SA in Cali gave me a list of stores in the nation that had it available. There's only four stores left: Las Vegas, one in New York, one in Texas, and one in Illinois! I was lucky to snag the last size 0 in Las Vegas (it was a recent return), but the SA told me there are two size 2's left there as well. She also said that she's been getting lots of calls for this skirt!

It's currently on clearance now for about $60 (as compared to $178 originally), but a lot of stores are offering an extra 40-50% off clearance. Las Vegas offered an extra 40% off.

If you're looking for this skirt… act quickly! 🙂

• contrary kiwi December 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That skirt looks great on you 🙂 I think I would wear it in a much more out-there outfit, because I'm not attracted to neutrals at all!

I do think that the bell skirt looks great on you. In my mind, a straight up and down mini would've looked a little…teenager-like I think. But find a straight up and down sequin mini to try on so I can see if I'm wrong!

• Anonymous December 4, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love your outfit! Very classy and pairing the skirt with deep rich tones such as burgundy and mustard is a great choice.

• Michelle December 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I want what you had for dinner so bad right now! That looks and sounds amazing!! Happy Birthday to Nick! It was fun to see the photos from your night!

That skirt is gorgeous! I love it best with the bow blouse! 🙂

• Ping December 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm

jean– this is my favorite item you have of all times!!! i love love love this skirt. i was about to buy brown tights and wasn't sure about it. they actually look really nice the way you styled it. i will pick it up if i see it again.
      happy bday to nick!

• R.L. December 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm

My fav pairing hands down is with the wine sweater!! Looks absolutely gorgeous with your heels and lipstick that I just ordered the same sweater. I actually really love the paperbag structure of this skirt because of the waist definition which you may or may not get with a straight mini. Belated happy bday to Nick!

• Petite and Hungry December 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm

gorgeous!

• Ellie December 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I adore my sequined mini. I have a black one from Express I scored for $20 years ago. My favorite things to wear it with are black pumps and a black 3/4 plain tee or with a white tank and black suiting blazer. I never even considered it with a cardigan!! Now I have to try it 🙂 Thanks for the idea!

• SIENA.STYLE December 4, 2011 at 4:21 pm

you look stunning
      kisses from prague

• Anna December 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Love the sequin mini! I'm going to look for a piece like that now

• Jen (@CasualChicMom) December 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Jean – I seriously thought that picture on the left was out of a magazine or J. Crew catalog. I had to do a double take! I tried that skirt on (Las Vegas) in my normal size 4 in the J. Crew bell skirts but it was too short on me and there were no more larger sizes (this is one of the instances I don't appreciate my rounded bottom – makes sort skirts ride up in the back!) My favorite pairing of yours is He one with the mustard sweater. Did you wear a coat over your outfit? If so, which one?

• ♥AdamAlexMommy♥ December 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm

beautiful skirt. love everything you're wearing with it. makes me want to go and buy it. 🙂

• yuni.k December 4, 2011 at 5:33 pm

maybe it's time to get a thicker mustard sweater, because that is my favorite! it looks so good with the gold sequins. love love love that outfit!

• intricatelyella December 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• intricatelyella December 4, 2011 at 6:59 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• intricatelyella December 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm

It looks so nice with yellow

• Kiwi December 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I think the mini looks super cute!
      Pairing it with the blouse looks nice and feminine =]
      I would have probably paired it with the same colors as you did for your outfit for Nick's birthday. Loving nude tones right now for some reason.

• myhanh December 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Loved how you paired it. I agree- Wendy and Khatu are glam gals, I can't pull that off! This is very dressy, but casual as well. Awesome job, Jean. Thanks for the inspiration. This opens up the horizons for me, too!

• Steffi December 4, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I love the mustard combination but both outfits are so glam 😀