In Stores Now: H&M Mustard Pants and Cascade Blazer

mustardpants

Blazer: H&M; sz 2   Cropped pants: H&M; sz 2 (similar)
Tee: H&M; (old)  Shoes: BR (old)  Bag: LV Speedy 25  Necklace: Talbots (old)
Ah, good ole H&M; – where you can score a full, semi-dressy outfit for less than $50 (jacket – $29.95, pants – $11 with printable coupon or shake your H&M; iPhone app for the same coupon, tee – $6). I loved the drapey front of this blazer, and bought it in both light gray and black. I’ll show the black shortly, and you guys will have to help me determine which color to keep! The shoulders are cut narrow and the back is cropped. The sleeves are also the perfect length, but my one qualm is that the sleeves feel very wide.

mustardpants2

These pants look so fitted on the models, but in reality they’re cut big. A sz 2 was very loose on me and fit like a 4 (see before pic). I got them anyways, because I’ve been waiting over a month for these to hit stores. There is endless Fall outfit potential for a mustard cropped pant, so I figured the $11 price tag was justified. I washed and dried the pants on high heat (today’s pics shows post-shrinking), which brought them down half a size but the fit is still a little baggy on me. Length is also a tad long for my short legs.

mustardpants1

Readers – Did anyone pick up either of these pieces?

71 thoughts on “In Stores Now: H&M Mustard Pants and Cascade Blazer

• Really Petite September 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Cute Jean! How much did the pants shrink?

• La Professionnelle September 5, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love the color of these pants! very cute for this Fall. I got a similar cascading vest (not blazer) at Zara. -Cute look!

• Michelle September 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I've been looking everywhere for a cute blazer for work! I like how you've put this look together and make the coat look so chic. I'm going to H&M; tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

• R.L. September 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

The mustard color is gorgeous. You're so ready for fall! The cascade blazer does a good job at concealing any bagginess of the pants as far as I can tell. Love your updo!! and I drool over your Talbots necklace in every post I see it in. Hopefully Talbots puts out something similar again. I bought 2 pair of GAP jeggings and am hoping the AE red ones work out so I'm all pants-ed out. But for $11 I will definitely check out these pants this weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) September 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Hey wow those pants are cute! Since they're big on you they should fit me well ๐Ÿ˜‰

Damn I forgot about that coupon, when is it valid until?

• Cee September 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Nope, I haven't picked up either piece. But this drapey jacket has been on my wishlist forever so now I know to hit up my local store soon ๐Ÿ™‚ I personally like drapey items in colors other than black or white so all the wonderful details show up better. F21 has something similar in black (and orange, but it's sold out now). I have a feeling given the price point, H&M;'s might be of better quality.

• My Dressy Ways September 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I'm loving that blazer so much! Wish I lived closer to an H&M.; Can't wait to see the black, but I'm sure I'm going to say, keep both! ๐Ÿ˜›

• mai September 5, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Lovely outfit. Aah wishing there was an H&M; by me. I would really like to try on the blazer and those pants!

• Julie Khuu September 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Love this blazer! That asymmetrical cut is genius and the button detailing adds such interest! And at under $30 can't beat that! Love this look!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

• Ping September 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

jean– the pants are too big on you still! i thought the jcrew minnie pants (in whatever fabric you got) looked better on you. but i do like the color, so i guess keep shrinking them.

• kali September 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I got those pants in 3 colors! Mustard looked crazy on me though but it looks fabulous on you. I also wanted the jacket but it draped so strangely on me. = And if you're going to keep one, I think the gray is much nicer. You look great!h

• sassyuptownchic September 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

That's a great outfit! You always know how to pull things together. Very classy! Love the necklace and pants.

SassyUptownChic xoxo Kim

• Cher September 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm

The fit on those pants aren't too bad after shrinking, but they're still not crazy flattering. I would love a pair of colored pants myself, but I'm convinced I'll never find a pair that will fit well enough to even consider altering. H&M; and Zara pants always fit horrendously on me. And I don't even want to think about what J.Crew would look like. The jacket looks great on you though. I'm still baffled as to why it looks so different on you than it does on me. LOL. Next time I go to H&M; I'm going to see if I can find a size 2 and see if going down a size will do the trick (though I doubt it).

• Kaolee September 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I like the blazer! I like how you styled it and the necklace goes well with the outfit!

• Anonymous September 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Nice!

I'm looking at their items online, and they seem to start at size 4…which is too big for me. Is it that they only sell size 2 in stores? What gives?

Abby

• Alterations Needed September 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Fabulous color! Too bad about the sizing. I'm on the hunt for colored pants for fall as well. I'm thinking a nice eggplant or rust color. Let me know if you come across any. hehe. ๐Ÿ™‚

• grace September 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love the color of the pants for Fall – though I agree that the fit on the pants are still not perfect. I have yet to get ankle pants – guess I'm not used to how they make me look stumpy. I may have to check out H&M; since I'm tired of the blue/black/white jeans wardrobe I have. Though the fit isn't perfect, for $11, definitely a steal!

LOVE your bun btw ๐Ÿ˜‰ I didn't really pick up any clothes this weekend – just a few pairs of shoes&boots;.

• Canadianpetite September 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

The pants sure shrunk so much! Do you have tips on determining which will shrink width-wise instead of lengthwise (zipper problem)?

Will you be doing a video on how to do your bun?

• Chen September 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Can you do a tutorial on how you did your hair here? It's really pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

• Stephie September 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm

The pants look really good on you! I bought the gray pair and the pockets seem to jut out more than it looks on the pair you have. I love the cascade blazer, I must find it next time I go!

• Angie September 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

you'll be happy to find H&M;'s slim fit is soooo slim. i am bursting out of them, which means they should be perfect for your thighs! you might even try a size 4 on those (plus, only $13.95)

• alison*elle September 5, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I bought that blazer too but ended up returning it. It looked cute at first but after awhile I didn't really like how it fit and thought the colour was a little odd. I didn't see it in black though. I do like those pants though. I have a mustard pair already but if I didn't, I'd definitely be checking those out.

• myhanh September 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm

The cascade blazer looks great! It being a blazer gives it good structure. The pant and arms look like they fit well; sometimes a little room is good! Also, your hair looks great– video op!

• DA September 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

jean, i never comment on the blogs that i read, but you're such an inspiration. i love that you're always featuring outfits that are easy to wear, easily accessible, and of course – stylish! keep up the awesome work!

• The Little Dust Princess September 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Very pretty outfit. Love the matching shoes! Good thing you warned us about the pants because I was planning on trying the exact pair myself tomorrow. Kinda odd how big the size 2 is on you because size 2s are always tight or perfect!!

• Anonymous September 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm

i love the hair in this look, please show us how

• Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 3:38 am

Super cute hair!! I know it looks simple, but could you please tell us how you did it? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Noniek September 6, 2011 at 4:40 am

I like that blazer! Cute hair ๐Ÿ™‚

• Noniek September 6, 2011 at 4:42 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• a.b. September 6, 2011 at 6:37 am

Such a cute outfit ๐Ÿ™‚ Loving the blazer and necklace!

Off topic, but I have a question about tailoring. The only thing I've ever gotten tailored was a prom dress years ago, and now that I've been reading your blog, I realized that I can alter so many more things! I really want a pair of leather shorts from Urban Outfitters, but the smallest size they have left is an 8, and I'm a size 0 ๐Ÿ™

Here's the link: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=19395250&navAction;=jump&navCount;=

Would the tailor be able to make the shorts a lot smaller, or would that just totally ruin the shorts? Thanks!

• Ruth Lee September 6, 2011 at 6:43 am

Very good proportion for a petite lady.:)

• FashionFreak/Mihaela September 6, 2011 at 8:15 am
  • PetiteLittleGirl September 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

The color is so gorgeous for Fall. They are still slightly too big on you even after shrinking. For $11.00, itโ€™s not a bad option though. Since I am bigger than you, those pants might fit me better. I am going to check them out today at lunch =) Do they come in several different colors?

• kileen September 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

i meant to comment last night but ended up falling asleep early… i love these pants on you and the blazer is so pretty with its cascading ruffles. great H&M; finds!

• Petite J.D. September 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

I absolutely love this outfit and want every piece for myself!!! You look great

• kaybee89 September 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

gorgeous! can you do a video tutorial for this hairstyle?

• xxayeexx September 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Great outfit! Love the mustard pants! will have to go check them out!

• Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Lovely! Where can I find your earrings?? =)

• Jane September 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I second couple of comments up there~ can you do a hair tutorial for the simple hair updo you did here? Thanks!

• Elle September 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

This is a terrific outfit, I think you styled the cascade blazer perfectly. I recently ordered a cascade blazer as well (black with pink trims) but have decided to part with it (poor fit and too $$$ for my purposes).

Love the mustard pants too, definitely a piece that will get tons of wear this fall.

• Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Jean, Amrita Singh is having a 50% off sitewide sale for two days as part of 'Fashion's Night Out'. The code is 'FNO11'; it's on their website as well!

• Jackie September 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

This is gorgeous!

I love that necklace. Even it your last vid, it just totally transforms the outfit.

• Michelle September 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Gorgeous styling!

Mustard-colored-something is definitely on my list for fall! I also love Kelly's idea of eggplant!

• Maureen September 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Ah! I love those pants! I loathe pants but after seeing those, I might go out any buy them.

• lin September 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm

i like how you styled the blazer. your whole outfit is so chic.

yes, please do a hair tutorial for this. love how it's a soft bun. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Jean, thanks for such an awesome blog. Always so gorgeous and happy, you make all your Cantonese sisters proud!

One of your favorite things is now my own favorite. LORAC Front of Line liquid liner is at ULTA for a limited time 50% off @ $11.50. Pickup 2 and get free 3d mascara.

Stay radiant, with love from Chicago

• Jo September 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I love your blog and your outfits and all your insights! Love this 'business casual' look.

I also would love to request a tutorial on your hairstyle here! Please please!

• aneetac September 6, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I love the top half of this outfit – the cascade blazer looks so classy! I do think the pants still look baggy and a little wrinkly. Think another round of frying might help?

• PetiteAsianGirl September 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm

@Anonymous The website does show 4 as the starting size (not sure why!) but they have 2 in-stores in almost everything.

@Canadianpetite @Chen @myhanh @Anonymous @kaybee89 @Jane @lin @Jo Thank you all for the suggestion and request! Will try to do a step by step soon. Hint…it involves a bumpit, lol!

@DA Thank you very much for the first-time comment! : )

@a.b. I don't recommend taking anything down more than one or two sizes because it's highly risky that it won't come out perfectly. From a 8 down to a 0, those shorts will have to be completely recrafted, plus altering leather is usually several times pricier than regular fabrics. I think a tailor would charge $100 to $150 to take in those shorts, and it might not be a good alteration job. I think you can find better : )

@PetiteLittleGirl Yes I think they come in at least 4 or 5 colors…navy, black, khaki, this yellow…

@Anonymous These were an older find from Neiman Marcus, but sometimes they pop up on eBay or Bonanaza. Just search Chanel turlock studs : )

• PetiteAsianGirl September 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

@Anonymous THanks! I saw that in my email this morning and browsed a bit, but Fall makes me mentally move away from bright jewelry…I'm all A.S'd out from this year's sales. Did you buy anything? : )

@Anonymous Aw, why thank you! I didn't realize I've mentioned before I was Cantonese…but my taste in food does not lie. I could live off of it.

Oh my, thanks so much for the heads up on the LORAC. Unfortunately the nearest ULTA is quite far, and the buy two get a free mascara offer seems to not be online. On the note of liners – have you tried Blinc liquid liner? I got a sample in my BIrchbox, had no idea what to expect, but really liked it. The color is smooth and jet black and had great staying power. Unlike other pen liners, it didn't seem to seep into my lids (I'm guessing that's bad for skin) but rather sat on top of it. Now if only it weren't so pricey like the Lorac!

@aneetac I've always wondered if things shrink more after additional rounds of frying? Or if their shrinking ability is max'd out after one round? Nevertheless, I will be washing these again to give it a shot…just don't want bright colors to fade out from all that washing and drying on high heat!

• Janine aka J-Ezzy @ *La Dolce Vita* September 7, 2011 at 12:05 am

i need to leave my house if i want to see h & m, grrrr. love the pants and jacket (esp the jacket) you look lovely, Jean!

• Anonymous September 7, 2011 at 1:24 am

Jean,
    I love all your videos and blog posts! I find them extremely helpful. I was wondering if you could do a video or a post about finding the perfect suit. I am about to go on interviews for my career (teacher) and I need to find the perfect suit! I know you already have a link but could you give more details? Such as: places to look, what's worth altering and what isn't, where everything should hit you on your body, etc. It would be GREATLY appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous September 7, 2011 at 4:01 pm

From Chicago again: Bummer Ulta is so far away. Blinc will be on my list after EYEKO and Dollywink. I must said it was your liner skills that got me into seriously using it in place of pencils and gel liners.

I think I spent an entire week reading your back blogs when I discovered it, somewhere in there I got Cantonese.

Power on pretty girl!

• Anonymous September 7, 2011 at 9:22 pm

hi..what is the size of your blazer?

• PetiteAsianGirl September 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm

@Anonymous It's a sz 2

@Anonymous Yes! Jen frmheadtotoe said Eyeko is the best. Almost impossible to find for the cheap price here, though.

@Anonymous Hi there – congrats on getting ready to go out for interviews! Where to look really depends on what your budget is. I recently wrote a quick article about a few places to look, and I emphasize Banana Republic often has 40% off item promos if you are a cardholder, or if you sign up for emails. Here's the article: http://www.refinery29.com/petite-friendly-suits-at-any-price-point

If you are petite, I'd make sure the length of the jacket does not go past your hips. SLeeve length is alterable, shoulders I do not recommend to get altered. It's costly and risky. The torso should be fitted but definitely not snug. When buttoned up, you should be able to move comfortably in your suit, lift your arms, etc. I also started talking about suit shopping in this old video: http://www.extrapetite.com/2010/10/building-professional-wardrobe-for-work.html I apologize for the awkwardness! One of my first times trying out Youtube : ) Anyways, best of luck to you in your search!

• a.b. September 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Thanks for your help! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous September 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I live in Canada and I dont think the blazer is available yet ๐Ÿ™ I love the look…also the hair! Please do a tutorial on the hair ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous September 8, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi Jean,

How big should an interview bag be? I wanted a classy, black bag that I could fit my resume folder in. I recently bought a Kate Spade bag (the Berkshire Road Teegan) during their online sample sale. It's black, leather, and HUGE. It's noticeably wider than my body, and has dimensions of 11.7" x 17" x 6". I'm 5'3" and about 95 pounds. Would the bag completely overwhelm me?

Also, could the bag be too flashy because of its size/material/label, and therefore give interviewers a negative impression of me? ๐Ÿ™

Thanks!

Ella

• Vanessa September 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I tried that jacket but it looks very frumpy on me from the front. I like the side view because of the cropped cut in the back, but the front is another story.

• sarahp September 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Hi, I wonder which H&M; is the best one in boston area. I have been three H&M; stores (two in Boston and one in legacy place) but did not find anything nice. Which one do u visit?

• PetiteAsianGirl September 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm

@sarahp I visit all of them, but sometimes I like going farther because they get stock later than the ones in the city and is less picked over. I got this cascade blazer from the one at legacy place.

@Anonymous I'm trying to envision it against you, being 5'3" … but anything with dimensions over 13" scare me. 17" sounds VERY big! I have a longchamp which I already feel self conscious about because it's so much wider than my body, so I don't suggest such a size for someone else unless it's absolutely necessary. I would suggest looking for another bag that's just barely big enough to fit your resume folder plus a laptop, not as huge as the 17" one.

• Anonymous September 9, 2011 at 2:47 am

Hi! Love your blog and style. I noticed you were wearing gold chanel earrings. Are these vintage or new? Where did you buy them? Dying to know!

• Monica September 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

Not trying to flatter you here, but I'm totally diggin' everything about this ensemble. The hair, blazer, accessories, and all the way down to the shoes! Casual, refined, yet feminine! LOVE!

• Bris September 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hola, me encanta tu collar es fabuloso, mepuedes decir dรณnde lo conseguiste? es hermoso.
    gracias guapa.
    bicheler.blogspot.com

• Pablo September 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm

You look so chic and elegant! =D I specially love the blazer.

• Anonymous September 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I love your hair!! Will you please do a tutorial?! Your outfit looks great too of course.

• Anonymous September 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

is this petite size or regular?

• Anonymous September 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I LOVE the outfit and I think even the pants look so nice on you in this size. Also, I have to say that I would definately prefer the grey blazer over the black one:)

• Our Wired Lives September 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm

love the jacket! I might have to go try it on in the store.

• Anonymous October 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

I love the pants! But I can't find them in the Germany Online Shop ๐Ÿ™ Do you have an order number for me?

• Linh January 12, 2012 at 12:04 am

As a petite, i find it hard to find blazers!! But i love this one on you! Did you usually get your jackets altered?