• In Stores Now: H&M Mustard Pants and Cascade Blazer

mustardpants

Blazer: H&M; sz 2   Cropped pants: H&M; sz 2 (similar)
    Tee: H&M; (old)  Shoes: BR (old)  Bag: LV Speedy 25  Necklace: Talbots (old)
    Ah, good ole H&M; – where you can score a full, semi-dressy outfit for less than $50 (jacket – $29.95, pants – $11 with printable coupon or shake your H&M; iPhone app for the same coupon, tee – $6). I loved the drapey front of this blazer, and bought it in both light gray and black. I’ll show the black shortly, and you guys will have to help me determine which color to keep! The shoulders are cut narrow and the back is cropped. The sleeves are also the perfect length, but my one qualm is that the sleeves feel very wide.

mustardpants2

These pants look so fitted on the models, but in reality they’re cut big. A sz 2 was very loose on me and fit like a 4 (see before pic). I got them anyways, because I’ve been waiting over a month for these to hit stores. There is endless Fall outfit potential for a mustard cropped pant, so I figured the $11 price tag was justified. I washed and dried the pants on high heat (today’s pics shows post-shrinking), which brought them down half a size but the fit is still a little baggy on me. Length is also a tad long for my short legs.

mustardpants1

Readers – Did anyone pick up either of these pieces?

71 thoughts on “In Stores Now: H&M Mustard Pants and Cascade Blazer

• Really Petite September 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Cute Jean! How much did the pants shrink?

• La Professionnelle September 5, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I love the color of these pants! very cute for this Fall. I got a similar cascading vest (not blazer) at Zara. -Cute look!

• Michelle September 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I've been looking everywhere for a cute blazer for work! I like how you've put this look together and make the coat look so chic. I'm going to H&M; tomorrow! 🙂

• R.L. September 5, 2011 at 8:54 pm

The mustard color is gorgeous. You're so ready for fall! The cascade blazer does a good job at concealing any bagginess of the pants as far as I can tell. Love your updo!! and I drool over your Talbots necklace in every post I see it in. Hopefully Talbots puts out something similar again. I bought 2 pair of GAP jeggings and am hoping the AE red ones work out so I'm all pants-ed out. But for $11 I will definitely check out these pants this weekend 🙂

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) September 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Hey wow those pants are cute! Since they're big on you they should fit me well 😉

Damn I forgot about that coupon, when is it valid until?

• Cee September 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Nope, I haven't picked up either piece. But this drapey jacket has been on my wishlist forever so now I know to hit up my local store soon 🙂 I personally like drapey items in colors other than black or white so all the wonderful details show up better. F21 has something similar in black (and orange, but it's sold out now). I have a feeling given the price point, H&M;'s might be of better quality.

• My Dressy Ways September 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I'm loving that blazer so much! Wish I lived closer to an H&M.; Can't wait to see the black, but I'm sure I'm going to say, keep both! 😛

• mai September 5, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Lovely outfit. Aah wishing there was an H&M; by me. I would really like to try on the blazer and those pants!

• Julie Khuu September 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Love this blazer! That asymmetrical cut is genius and the button detailing adds such interest! And at under $30 can't beat that! Love this look!

xo-Julie
      Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

• Ping September 5, 2011 at 9:21 pm

jean– the pants are too big on you still! i thought the jcrew minnie pants (in whatever fabric you got) looked better on you. but i do like the color, so i guess keep shrinking them.

• kali September 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I got those pants in 3 colors! Mustard looked crazy on me though but it looks fabulous on you. I also wanted the jacket but it draped so strangely on me. = And if you're going to keep one, I think the gray is much nicer. You look great!h

• sassyuptownchic September 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

That's a great outfit! You always know how to pull things together. Very classy! Love the necklace and pants.

SassyUptownChic xoxo Kim

• Cher September 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm

The fit on those pants aren't too bad after shrinking, but they're still not crazy flattering. I would love a pair of colored pants myself, but I'm convinced I'll never find a pair that will fit well enough to even consider altering. H&M; and Zara pants always fit horrendously on me. And I don't even want to think about what J.Crew would look like. The jacket looks great on you though. I'm still baffled as to why it looks so different on you than it does on me. LOL. Next time I go to H&M; I'm going to see if I can find a size 2 and see if going down a size will do the trick (though I doubt it).

• Kaolee September 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I like the blazer! I like how you styled it and the necklace goes well with the outfit!

• Anonymous September 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Nice!

I'm looking at their items online, and they seem to start at size 4…which is too big for me. Is it that they only sell size 2 in stores? What gives?

Abby

• Alterations Needed September 5, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Fabulous color! Too bad about the sizing. I'm on the hunt for colored pants for fall as well. I'm thinking a nice eggplant or rust color. Let me know if you come across any. hehe. 🙂

• grace September 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love the color of the pants for Fall – though I agree that the fit on the pants are still not perfect. I have yet to get ankle pants – guess I'm not used to how they make me look stumpy. I may have to check out H&M; since I'm tired of the blue/black/white jeans wardrobe I have. Though the fit isn't perfect, for $11, definitely a steal!

LOVE your bun btw 😉 I didn't really pick up any clothes this weekend – just a few pairs of shoes&boots;.

• Canadianpetite September 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm

The pants sure shrunk so much! Do you have tips on determining which will shrink width-wise instead of lengthwise (zipper problem)?

Will you be doing a video on how to do your bun?

• Chen September 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Can you do a tutorial on how you did your hair here? It's really pretty 🙂

• Stephie September 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm

The pants look really good on you! I bought the gray pair and the pockets seem to jut out more than it looks on the pair you have. I love the cascade blazer, I must find it next time I go!

• Angie September 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

you'll be happy to find H&M;'s slim fit is soooo slim. i am bursting out of them, which means they should be perfect for your thighs! you might even try a size 4 on those (plus, only $13.95)

• alison*elle September 5, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I bought that blazer too but ended up returning it. It looked cute at first but after awhile I didn't really like how it fit and thought the colour was a little odd. I didn't see it in black though. I do like those pants though. I have a mustard pair already but if I didn't, I'd definitely be checking those out.

• myhanh September 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm

The cascade blazer looks great! It being a blazer gives it good structure. The pant and arms look like they fit well; sometimes a little room is good! Also, your hair looks great– video op!

• DA September 5, 2011 at 11:22 pm

jean, i never comment on the blogs that i read, but you're such an inspiration. i love that you're always featuring outfits that are easy to wear, easily accessible, and of course – stylish! keep up the awesome work!

• The Little Dust Princess September 5, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Very pretty outfit. Love the matching shoes! Good thing you warned us about the pants because I was planning on trying the exact pair myself tomorrow. Kinda odd how big the size 2 is on you because size 2s are always tight or perfect!!

• Anonymous September 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm

i love the hair in this look, please show us how

• Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 3:38 am

Super cute hair!! I know it looks simple, but could you please tell us how you did it? 🙂

• Noniek September 6, 2011 at 4:40 am

I like that blazer! Cute hair 🙂

• Noniek September 6, 2011 at 4:42 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• a.b. September 6, 2011 at 6:37 am

Such a cute outfit 🙂 Loving the blazer and necklace!

Off topic, but I have a question about tailoring. The only thing I've ever gotten tailored was a prom dress years ago, and now that I've been reading your blog, I realized that I can alter so many more things! I really want a pair of leather shorts from Urban Outfitters, but the smallest size they have left is an 8, and I'm a size 0 🙁

Here's the link: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=19395250&navAction;=jump&navCount;=

Would the tailor be able to make the shorts a lot smaller, or would that just totally ruin the shorts? Thanks!

• Ruth Lee September 6, 2011 at 6:43 am

Very good proportion for a petite lady.:)

• FashionFreak/Mihaela September 6, 2011 at 8:15 am

you look great!

my blog♥mfashionfreak

• PetiteLittleGirl September 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

The color is so gorgeous for Fall. They are still slightly too big on you even after shrinking. For $11.00, it’s not a bad option though. Since I am bigger than you, those pants might fit me better. I am going to check them out today at lunch =) Do they come in several different colors?

• kileen September 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

i meant to comment last night but ended up falling asleep early… i love these pants on you and the blazer is so pretty with its cascading ruffles. great H&M; finds!

• Petite J.D. September 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

I absolutely love this outfit and want every piece for myself!!! You look great

• kaybee89 September 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

gorgeous! can you do a video tutorial for this hairstyle?

• xxayeexx September 6, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Great outfit! Love the mustard pants! will have to go check them out!

• Anonymous September 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Lovely! Where can I find your earrings?? =)

• Jane September 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I second couple of comments up there~ can you do a hair tutorial for the simple hair updo you did here? Thanks!

• Elle September 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

This is a terrific outfit, I think you styled the cascade blazer perfectly. I recently ordered a cascade blazer as well (black with pink trims) but have decided to part with it (poor fit and too $$$ for my purposes).

Love the mustard pants too, definitely a piece that will get tons of wear this fall.