Fall Dressing: Neon, wool, and faux fur

neonwool

Sweater: Gap dolman-sleeve sweater (similar)
Vest: H&M; Divided sz 2 ($29.95, current)  Skirt: thrifted and hemmed
Bag: H&M; Divided, Pearls: Nordstrom Rack S (similar) Watch: Michael Kors JetSet

I woke up today, shivering, to a brisk 49 degree morning. Where is the mild 65-70 degree “Fall” weather that allows for donning light layers while sipping cider and watching the leaves turn? I wore this today (with a tee layered underneath) and was still cold and Rudolph-nosed. I just don’t want to give in to tights yet.
neonwool1

Low heels: Aldo (old) (similar here in “Natural”)

Today’s outfit combines three elements that I’m embracing this Fall – color, textures, and faux fur. This vest is very shrunken fit in sz 2 because it’s from the juniors “Divided” line, and I really wanted to swap it for a sz 4 for more frontal coverage. Nick vehemently protested, saying there was a “subtle but noticeable” difference from the back view, and that sz 4 looked like a fur backpack on me. Alas, I’m still with the 2.
neonwool3A splash of neon from this Gap dolman-sleeve Sweater prevents my outfit from veering into full neutral, monochromatic territory. I have enough mustard yellow, but this eye-catching color is different from anything I own. I also love the comfy, slouchy fit – just have to be careful not to snag the material.

neonwool4

And oh, do you recall this wool skirt from earlier this week? : )

neonwool2

78 thoughts on “Fall Dressing: Neon, wool, and faux fur

• easy petite looks September 17, 2011 at 5:46 pm

It's freezing here too, down to 39! Yuck. Great job on the skirt!!

• Anna September 17, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Hahaha, that last pic got me laughing 😀

Lovely DIY! I wish I could sew; I have a hunch that would save a lot of dough at the tailor. I also love your photo quality – how do you get you background so blurry?

• Yukie September 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Fluorescent yellow is so hard to pull off, especially without looking too cartoonish or bumble-bee-like. Amazing job on the skirt! Wish I had your sartorial finesse.

• Angie September 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

LOL the amish picture is hilarious. i think you could do without the furry vest. the loose sweater is perfect without it! i understand though .. it's freezing here too. what happened to fall, america?

• The Little Dust Princess September 17, 2011 at 6:03 pm

OMG! I didn't even realize that was the same skirt. LOL You did a great job. It looks great! $10 is such a steal for the skirt. : )

I actually prefer this outfit without the fur vest..dunno why because fur goes well with a lot of things. I think it doesn't work with the top because of the colour and/or bulkiness of the sweater & vest together.

It's been extremely chilly (for summer) in Toronto for the past few days. I haven't had a chance to wear skirts/shorts without tights in a while!! I love fall, but I want summer to stretch a little longer so I can wear all of my things. 🙁

• newpetite September 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm

The skirt! it looks very grey in the previous pic (love your humor) and looks brownish in the next. Is it coz of the top? Looking at this.. makes me think I can actually consider stuff which might not fit but I like and make it work with a little DIY! Thanks!

• LAWoman September 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Do you have any hair tutorials? I love your hair style here!

• Ella Pretty Blog September 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm

LOL @ the skirt's transformation from lil bo peep to chic! Love the whole outfit – including the gorgeous Aldo shoes.

• FashionFreak/Mihaela September 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I absolutely love your sweater!

my blog-follow me♥mfashionfreak

• jkyw September 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

really love the neon yellow colour on you! and the wool skirt looks great now that it's been transformed into a mini!!

JEN

• Vicky September 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

You are so brave to get out there with your bare legs today! I'm all bundled up. Yes, tights! 🙂
    Jean, I adore this hair style that you have been donning a lot lately in your posts. And you look beautiful in neon green.

• CC September 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm

love the thrifted and hemmed skirt! So cute!

• mai September 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Gorgeous! Love every piece of the outfit, & lol @photoshopped picture.

• Jeannie September 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Creativity + gorgeous color combo + perfect accessories = sophisticated yet simple perfection. Great job on the skirt. Love the look!

• Rena September 17, 2011 at 7:07 pm

love the outfit! I might just have to copy it! However, I got a similar vest for only $21 from F21! I also like how the skirt turned out, which reminds me that I have to hem some slack pants.

<33 Rena

• Jacki September 17, 2011 at 7:18 pm

The skirt looks amazing! Great find!

• Claud September 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm

wow! You look absolutely stunning Jean!
    I saw that dropped shoulder sweater at my gap and thought the color might be to bright for me (??)

• Anonymous September 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm

How do you make your hair "poof" on top like that? When I pull my hair into a ponytail or a bun it lies so flat against my head =/

• Mary Ann September 17, 2011 at 7:37 pm

The transformation of the skirt is awesome and I'm LOL-ing so hard at your Amish Paint job!

• Ellie September 17, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I'm 99% sure I saw you at the Newbury St. H&M; today! I have a similar sweater from H&M; last year and I was trying to see how this random girl on the opposite escalator had styled it. I love the yellow with the grey skirt!!

• amongthetortillas.com September 17, 2011 at 8:19 pm

LOL @ the last pic. Thanks for being so sure of yourself that you can poke fun at yourself for our amusement!! What a great deal on that skirt.

• Natasha xoxo September 17, 2011 at 8:41 pm

What a great outfit… i love how you can put pieces together to create such great looks! I would have never considered wearing a faux fur vest…now I'm thinking about it 😉

xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog

• Anh Anh September 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Love love love your site and your style.

• Michelle September 17, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Awesome style! Love the Amish pic too =D

• littlemissandrea September 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm

That last picture is HILARIOUS. Had me laughing for a bit!

As always, you look so well put together 🙂 Now, if I could just get my hands on that vest..

• Kristen September 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm

The vest looks cute on you! I too am petite, but a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier, I tried on the size 2 and felt it looked too small and short. I laughed when you said Nick protested against the size 4 because my boyfriend did not like the vest at all. Love this outfit and your Amish reference in the before photo 🙂

• Jewel at Eat.Drink.Shop.Love September 17, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I love your skirt!

• A Heel in Mint September 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Love the styling. Beautiful sweater and vest.

xx
    Heel in Mint

• myhanh September 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm

this is effortless chic. love the slouchy, bright sweater!

• Wendy's Lookbook September 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I really love that bright yellow color on you! And you're such a little MacGyver! Turning that long skirt into a short version is brilliant. Can't wait to see more pairings with it!

• lin September 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm

jean, love your whole outfit. you have great fashion sense and knows what goes well together. the last pics were so funny. lol….

• Lauren September 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I'm going to have to work on my thrifting goggles! I wouldn't have been able to see such a cute mini in that original skirt…adorable!

• Anonymous September 17, 2011 at 10:53 pm

how do you get your bun to be so full of volume? my hair goes so flat!

• Ashley September 17, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Your skirt looks soooo amazing!! And I'm so impressed by the bright yellow, I can never quite pull that color off.

And I'm just going to go ahead and echo everyone, how do you make your hair look so amazing?!

• Roopa September 17, 2011 at 11:16 pm

awesome for just $10… loving it <3

• DSK Steph September 17, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I love what you did with the skirt!!
    Great before pic!! lol

• Petite and Hungry September 18, 2011 at 12:26 am

gorgeous! your skirt looks so pretty now after the alterations!

• Justine September 18, 2011 at 1:21 am

I love this skirt on you! It's amazing. I"m guessing you snipped it yourself? Btw, Did you tuck in your sweater? and how?

• Anonymous September 18, 2011 at 1:37 am

The sweater is cute but I think the skirt is a bit short. Iffy on the vest but def no on faux fur vest with pearls.

• JC September 18, 2011 at 2:35 am

LOL @ the fur backpack comment.

I can't believe that's the long skirt you posted about previously! It looks great. What does "cleaning" mean? I've only had 1 piece of clothing go through alterations & that was my wedding dress so I'm totally lost when it comes to any alterations lingo.

Great outfit combo!