Easy Smokey Eye Look for Beginners

smokeyeye1
Per your requests, here is a simple smokey eye look that I’ve been wearing almost every day. For Fall, I’ll be experimenting with purple, hunter green, and more bronze on the lids. I finally “splurged” on the popular Urban Decay Naked Palette this year, but I like this Too Faced one better!

Dress & Nails:
– H&M; Print Shift sz 2 Item #045676, $39.95
Essie Clam Bake

Face:
MAC Select Cover-Up Concealer in NW25
Makeup For Ever Duo Mat Powder Foundation in shade 203
– Rock & Republic Bronzer Refill in Villa (discontinued)

Eyes:
Elf Eyelid Primer in Nude
– Too Faced Shadows (can be found in the Romantic Eye Palette)
NYX Single Shadow in Smokie Mountain

Physicians Formula Eye Booster Eyeliner
Fiberwig Mascara
Elf Studio Eyebrow Kit in Dark
smokeyeye
I forgot to mention – before buying this dress, I tried on the “cropped” top version as well. The shoulders of a sz 2 fit narrower than the dress version, but the torso was just as wide. When tucked into a skirt, it was too poofy/boxy, but it might look nice on someone else over pants. Nick voted to get the dress version, which also comes in navy (seen here).

IMG_0418IMG_0420IMG_0421

69 thoughts on “Easy Smokey Eye Look for Beginners

• Anna August 6, 2011 at 9:41 pm

You look so professional! I love the entire look!

• a rose August 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Your longer hair + the purple smokey eyes make me feel the fall already. Such a romantic look :).

• mai August 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Gorgeous!
    Thanks for the tutorial; I've always had trouble figuring out what to do with my Asian eyes, lol.

• DSK Steph August 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Beautiful makeup tutorial! 🙂

I have yet to try the raccoon look! lol

• Lucia H. August 6, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Hahaha great intro. You make a gorgeous raccoon, though!

• J August 6, 2011 at 11:33 pm

You look gorgeous! I love the new play of eye shadow. I ended up with the navy shift dress, but I do need a bit of advice. If not wearing it with heels, what other styles of shoes would you recommend? & Thanks for the H&M; thread at tpf – I'm all over it!

• Anonymous August 6, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hi — For the primer, did you get the nude or champagne color? Thanks!

• Thao August 6, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Hi Jean, I remember you saying that you like to buy Lancome mascara samples on eBay. You should check out allcosmeticswholesale.com, they have them there as well 🙂 I hope you have a great day, and great vid+post!

• The Little Dust Princess August 6, 2011 at 11:57 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 12:02 am

thanks for the tutorial. i love the raccoon look. hahaha. the dress looks great on you. 😉

• Stacey August 7, 2011 at 12:59 am

The tutorial is perfect, I loved your "this is so ghetto" comment haha!

• Quinn August 7, 2011 at 1:23 am

Hi Jean!

I was searching around for a lace dress for my engagement party & came across this posting on ebay:

If I'm correct, I think that is a cropped photo of you! Hope this gives you a heads up!

• Michelle August 7, 2011 at 1:55 am

Oh! I am excited to watch the smokey eye tutorial…can't right now, my husband is watching a cheesy movie. :p

I agree about the fit of the top…did not work for me, either. I will probably be posting my pics tomorrow night.

• Aubrey August 7, 2011 at 2:00 am

Lmao! I laughed out loud at the first look – so chic! So glad you love the palette! I haven't even tested mine out yet but my eyes seem to be getting better so i'll be trying this look soon. You look gorgeous as usual, Jean 🙂

• nanajosianne August 7, 2011 at 3:00 am

I'd totally rock the racoon look !! Lol, loved the video.

• Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 3:02 am

what hair products (shampoo, etc) do you use?
    whats the lipstick./gloss you use in the video jean?

• faye lu August 7, 2011 at 3:19 am

great video. i think you explain everything really well, step by step, which is really great for beginners.
    especially loved the raccoon look =p

• Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 3:58 am

LOL at the raccoon look and thanks for the awesome tutorial 🙂

on a random note may i ask where you got your necklace in this photo http://img.ly/6OOi
    its really cute!!

• KimChicSisters August 7, 2011 at 7:11 am
  • Efbe August 7, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hello !
    This is my first post although reading your blog for some weeks already. I'm a French petite and have been looking for such a blog for some time…
    I find it great that you are doing some MU tutorials too !
    But the purpose of my comment today was to say that I bought this top too, and I found out that it can also be worn as a jacket (i.e. the back as the front, but open of course !), that's a great way too 😉

• The Fashion Mood.com August 7, 2011 at 7:55 am
  • fabulouslyfrugirl August 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

Loved this tutorial. Thanks for breaking it down and explaining each step (and reasoning for each step) for us!

• kileen August 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

great video and i really appreciate the hair tip! i'll have to try that to try and get some more volume. and i need to try the Elf eyebrow kit too (lol at the ghetto comment!).

• Nithya August 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi Jean,

Great Tutorial. You look so pretty in that dress. I have been following your blog about 2 months and I really enjoy reading them. It is my go to blog everyday..Thanks :)..I am an Asian petite too and its hard to find cute clothes in other stores due to size issues… I wish I was close to an H & M. I moved from Boston a few months ago and I miss going to Newbury St terribly..Hopefully I can find one in ebay in a size 2 🙁 Wish me luck!!!

• I am Khatu August 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

Jean, I bought the same dress… but I might return it for the blue version. I also looked at the cropped top but didn't try it on and probably won't now after your review. my f21 shirt is recent but it was an online purchase. I can't find the item anymore, but there's something similar. http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category;_name=love21_woventops&product;_id=2000019174&Page;=1

ps. can you let me know if you happen to see that lace skirt you're wearing flowing somewhere on the web? thanks. 🙂

• Joy August 7, 2011 at 10:38 am

Love the look and and the skirt is really cute!

• Katherine August 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

this video is really helpful!
    did you ever have to deal with acne?

• Lillian August 7, 2011 at 11:13 am

Love the makeup tutorial, and you can totally pull-off the raccoon look! Haha! That dress looks so good on you too! 🙂 xx

• Jo August 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

Thank you for the very informative tutorial. I lol at your surprise make up look when you popped up behind the mirror. That's totally cute. I love the details of your skirt.

• Really Petite August 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Jean Jean Jean!!! Love love this video! Thank you for making it easy- I read a lot of beauty bloggers and none of them make me think I can actually attempt this look.

Do you think this will work for my eyes? Clearly I am asian but don't exactly have asian eyes…LOL I just don't want to look ridic..you know?

You are too cute w/the raccoon look..hehehe

• Sarah August 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm

You are so adorable, I love this video – great tips, thanks!!

-Sarah

• Ping August 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

cute video jean! you did a great job on the smokey eye look.

my h&m; stores must be slow at getting new merchandise. i haven't seen any of these items. i love the blue version of the printed dress. i might pick it up if i see it!

• Stephanie August 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm

This is a beautiful look! You're right about the naked palette. I liked it for about a week but then I didn't like any of the wash colors due to them being too sparkly or shimmery. I ended up going back to my regular shadows. The funny thing is I forgot I even have that same too faced palette! (It actually came out a couple of months ago as a vib point reward.) I think I was saving it but I'm just going to use it since you said it is so great! 🙂 Also, I like how you pointed out how shadow disappears on Asian eyes. I remember makeup was frustrating at first because of that. Btw, glad you like the liner! 😉 oh and the left side of the elf brow kit is just pigmented gel… Never thought of using it alone- I'll try that.

• R.L. August 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm

LOL about the raccoon look! Thanks for the tips! I've yet to start using liquid eyeliner because it's less forgiving for ultra shaky hands. But the results are definitely better than regular eyeliner. And I'm blown away that you're able to get loose waves from just a simple bun! Good choice for going with the dress instead of the top. The top looks boxy and does it have the ruffle detail as well? I think you can easily wear a skirt over the dress to turn it into a top.

• Canadianpetite August 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Raccoon look – lol! Thank you for sharing your smoky eye technique. You look good!

• Callandra August 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm

What a beautiful look on you Jean! I almost never wear eyeshadow but I should probably make more of an effort….I'm loving that H&M; dress too, so pretty with your skin tone 😉 (I had to laugh at your comment about my walk-in closet renovation being famous….of course that would thrill my husband) Lol

• Dianna August 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm

hi Jean! Love the tutorial and the intro was hilarious! Just wondering what you used on your lips. I have really pigmented lips and am always on the lookout for colors that won't wash me out, but still give me that casual my lips but better look.

• Claud August 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm

So pretty Jean! I was able to find the dress today @ h&m; in my size but bought it in the navy color. I did not even try it on, so not sure how is going to fit me. Did you altered? Too bad I can get my hands on the clutch, no trace of it 🙁 You are so right about the blouse version of the shift dress, the fabric is totally different, it felt thinner to me (??).
    Oh and those raccoon eyes suit you well ^^….so cute!!!

• Anonymous August 7, 2011 at 11:31 pm

jean- did you buy your chanel earrings from chanel or did u buy it second hand. if second hand, where did you buy it from?

thanks! ive been looking around for those earrings everywhere!

• PetiteAsianGirl August 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm

@J The navy is classic and gorgeous! Aside from heels, after I get this slimmed I'll be trying it with wedges, flat sandals, and then in the Fall tights with ankle booties.

@Anonymous Hi there – I ordered mine last year and it's labeled "sheer." It must be the same as the nude shade out this year.

@Thao Thanks so much for sharing! I'm running low on my stock.

@The Little Dust Princess Yup, good old TPF! I will be getting it slimmed. Even when pinned back slightly it already looks a lot better.

@Quinn Thanks for the heads up! Sigh, that user keeps on taking my photos despite my constant emails : /

@Anonymous Hi there – I use whatever is on sale at the drugstore..right now it's Garnier Fructis. I think I am just wearing Aquaphor on the lips…it's like petroleum jelly in texture, but a bit pricier and I use it every single day to keep lips moisturized. Otherwise I get very flaky lips…ick!