• Pleated Skirt & Pearls (and dress becomes a top)

PleatedSkirt_wall1
    PleatedSkirt_double2
    Crochet lace dress: Ann Taylor Factory (altered) (similar here and here)
    Blazer & Pleated Skirt: H&M; sz 2 (similar under $18)
    Shoes: Aldo  Purse: Chanel taupe lambskin M/L flap  Pearls: eBay

This old H&M; skirt survived several rounds of blog sales. The knee-length A-line is not my silhouette of choice (much prefer fitted pencil skirts for my body type), but I held onto it as it’s unlike anything else in my wardrobe. For this outfit I broke out my girliest pieces – pretty lace, polished pearls, and delicate peep-toe pumps.
    PleatedSkirt_double

This is my second attempt at the dress worn as a top. The first attempt did not go so well. When done right, this is a great way to get more wear out of your favorite dresses. But for the pairing to work, the dress must be somewhat fitted and short enough to hide under the skirt, and the waist line of the dress must also be lower than where your skirt waist will hit. This dress was made nice n fitted by my tailors, but the length is a tad too long for this skirt. For a good example, Anh is the queen of this tip. I was also inspired by Callandra wearing this dress as a pencil skirt.

PleatedSkirt_wall2
    To break up this neutral palette, I added a juicy lip. Revlon Colorburst in Coral was too firetruck-red for me on it’s own, so I layered on my fave Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Coral Reef. Here’s an obligatory twirl:
    PleatedSkirt_Triple

PS – Nordies lovers, on Friday 5/13 Nordstrom purchases through ebates will receive 12% cash back (one day only). This is a good opportunity to pick up designer or beauty items that typically don’t qualify for extra discounts. Other retailers that have 12% increased cash back this week include Sephora, DSW, Gap, BR, and many more (full list). For info on how ebates works, visit my post here. If you need a referral link, click here.

61 thoughts on “Pleated Skirt & Pearls (and dress becomes a top)

• Sunshine May 11, 2011 at 11:48 pm

omigosh lace & pleats, are we twins or what? 😉

but your look is definitely more polished than mine! and the coral lipstick is something different but absolutely gorgeous on you. i don't even wear lipstick *sigh* time to learn how to enhance my looks…

• Really Petite May 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Pretty!! It reminds me of HerWaiseChoice's skirt and giveaway! Good thing u didn't sell this skirt!

• Alterations Needed May 12, 2011 at 12:00 am

I skimmed the first paragraph too quickly and after reading the skirt was H&M;, my brain scanned through everything I saw at H&M; yesterday and I did a little, "hrmph! I didn't see that at my H&M;!" Shucks! It's from a past season! I love that full skirt silhouette, and am looking for a nice knife pleat skirt to add to my collection. Love how you paired it with a blazer, that's probably how I'd wear it too. 😉

• hypertigur May 12, 2011 at 12:07 am

I love this combination a lot, very feminine. For myself I love "poofier" dress because I get to twirl in it and it's so spring! So I must agree, do not sell this skirt!

Thank you last time for your kind words. I started blogging again and found small shoes!

• Stephanie May 12, 2011 at 12:15 am

first of all I love the new layout revamp! props to you and the bf if he had any hand in helping you 😉 I decided to go for a wider content section too. I still need to modernize the rest of it.
      I think you did a beautiful job pairing that skirt (that was obviously meant to stay in your closet) and the lace dress. I also loved the pop of lip color! 🙂 Great job on catching the twirl action haha.

• Britt+Whit May 12, 2011 at 12:27 am

super cute! you look adorable! I love the skirt with the lace!

love from San Francisco,

Britt+Whit

• Anonymous May 12, 2011 at 12:29 am

Love this outfit! I have a similar body type and don't care much for a-lines generally — like you I prefer sheaths/pencil skirts. But I find that a fairly straight-falling pleated skirt that's not too long can be a fun change of pace.

• Michelle May 12, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love this photoshoot! Even with all the femininity going on, you look like a bad a** in front of that graffitied door…like you did it! :p

• Tara May 12, 2011 at 12:54 am

lovely as always Jean!

• DSK Steph May 12, 2011 at 12:56 am

You look fantastic! I love the outfit, love the makeup, and love the photos!

• StealMyHeartLove May 12, 2011 at 1:48 am

Gorgeous outfit! xx

• hugstiem May 12, 2011 at 2:26 am

That is really intriguing about the skirt silhouette on your body type. Your outfit is beautiful as usual, but I agree that fitted / structured pencil skirts look better on you. I was wondering why all your skirts were like that. 🙂 I wonder if it's because your hips are slim? My hips/butt are much larger than my waist, and I tend to gravitate towards A-line, shorts with flared leg openings, etc.

• Pi Design May 12, 2011 at 3:50 am

Gorgeous lip colour, lovely outfits!! I like this photoshoot especially your blazer looks nice on it!! wow, I just realized the H&M; blazer, i actually had tried it on a couple of days ago in size4 for me though..

• Javacurls May 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

Love the look! Super cute!!

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) May 12, 2011 at 8:26 am

Wow I'm glad you kept that skirt! (Or not b/c it would have been MINE! 😛 ) I was actually hoping it was a recent purchase. I totally tricked me with the top being the Ann Taylor dress though – I thought it was a new top!

I really, really love this look. Beautiful Jean!

• Anonymous May 12, 2011 at 8:56 am

You look great, I wish I could get away with pleats.

• CynthiaC May 12, 2011 at 9:43 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, Jean! And yes, the skirt is a keeper – wardrobe should have a bit of variety, after all! 🙂

• Nelah May 12, 2011 at 9:57 am

Such a sweet feminine look. I like the colors of everything.

• Anonymous May 12, 2011 at 10:09 am

Jean, how do you make the belt stay in that position? I always have a problem with that.

• purses and puppies May 12, 2011 at 10:21 am

that is such a beautiful dress, i love these pics. your lip color definitely gives the look more excitement!

• Jackie May 12, 2011 at 10:26 am

Gorgeous as always, Jean!

I love this outfit! The skirt is so cute!

Red lips + tan looks great.

• Kristy May 12, 2011 at 10:29 am

I have the exact same skirt and I've been holding on to it very dearly 🙂 I love the pleats, the chiffon overlay, the sateen-ish waist band, just everything about it. This is a very inspirational look. I hope you won't mind if I copy this outfit. It's perfect for work 🙂

• R.L. May 12, 2011 at 10:41 am

Sooo elegant! Love the mix of neutral colors and of course twirl pics. 😉 I initially thought you had gotten a new lace top. It definitely doesn't look like it's a dress. Well done on being so versatile with it, Jean.

And thanks for the tip about Nordies! I've been looking for a pair of comfortable neutral flats. I have some TB Revas but have accepted the fact that they just look good and I can't walk around town for hours in them. I'll probably pick up a pair of Attilio Giusti Leombruni Ballerina Flats after seeing them on Wendy and reading the rave reviews.

• Heather May 12, 2011 at 11:31 am

I love how you're getting more comfortable with your poses (very sultry on the first pic!). Your outfit is soo pretty – unique but classic. How do you get your lashes to look like that?!

I just bought shoes from Nordies with only 3% ebate ): This always happens to me…buying things the day before an incentive comes on. Oh woe is me, but thanks for the heads up! (:

• Mallory Taylor May 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I absolutely LOVE how all your outfits always looks so effortless but classy!

XO -Mallory

• Elle May 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm

you look so pretty!!! I am a big fan of this look, I recently bought a pleated skirt too after seeing it on Anh and Jen of HerWaiseChoice. I am glad you didn't sell this skirt because it looks wonderful on you!

• Anonymous May 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm

How do you make the belt stay in place? Due to all these wonderful fashion blogs, I have been buying belts. I wore one the other day with my top but my top kept shifting and so did the belt. I spent day pulling at the top and re-positioning the belt.
      Penny

• Erica May 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That skirt is gorgeous! Man, I want one! Beautiful outfit. 🙂 Now I want to see what dresses of mine will work as as top…

• AubreyOhDang! May 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I actually like A-line skirts on you. Surprised not to see a bold AS necklace w/this outfit, but I guess pearls go better with the theme.

• Ping May 12, 2011 at 2:28 pm

jean i love that skirt! i think you look just as nice in this skirt vs the pencil skirts. hahah the obligatory twirl….a must!!

• Di May 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

gorgeous~ love the outfit & makeup. accessories looks great too!
      xo Diana

• La Petite Olga May 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Gorgeous outfit!! Great blog!!

xx Olga

• The Girlie Blog May 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm

What a pretty pleaded skirt! Love those matching shoes too. Looking gorgeous as always!

• Short Sister Style May 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Love the skirt and the lipstick! Beautiful spring look.

• SewPetiteGal May 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I am in love with that skirt and am utterly bummed that it's from a past season! Love the sleek new redesign!

• Petiteélégant May 13, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Looking more and more beautiful!

• Sarah May 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm

this outfit is gorgeous! i love how soft and feminine it is, not to mention being able to reuse a dress as a top 🙂 great job!

• ARIELA WONDERS May 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Perfect outfit! I love the pleats!

• Mindy♥ May 14, 2011 at 12:10 am