How to resize / make a ring fit smaller using tape

UPDATE: For a more semi-permanent solution, try foam tape, as shown here. It’s the best!

Recently I figured out a trick to fix rings that are too big for small fingers. I’ve tried the rubber band tip before and it nearly cut off my circulation, so I was thrilled to find a new method that was easy, comfortable, and cheap. This isn’t a permanent fix, which is nice if you like to switch up the fingers on which you wear your rings. Short demo:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv7nGpnVlKI?fs=1]

(In video) Blouse – H&M;     EarringsF21 teardrops   Lipstick e.l.f. “Classy”-$1

Change the 360P to 1080P HD for best quality : )   Resized rings in action:

furladyday4furladyday3

Lately I’ve been loving Forever 21 rings that come in numerical sizing (avoid the stretchy one-size-fits-all bands that are still too big). Their size 6 is more like a 5, and fits me almost perfectly. Currently I like this Oversized Beaded Ring in coral, and this Emerald Ring in light brown.

Nail polish in the video is ULTA “Chic Peek” ($5 or less) which is a glittery dark purple-gray. I heart it. These are frequently on BOGO, which works with their plentiful coupons good for online or in-store use.

furladyday1
Coat: J.Crew Lady Day Coat size 0P (buy here)
Faux Fur Collar: H&M; (similar here)
Ankle Booties: Calvin Klein (similar here, on sale & highly rated)

The H&M; faux fur collar proves its versatility yet again. This weekend I dressed up my coat with the warm collar and a waist belt. I hope those interested in this coat were able to snag it with the 40% off sale (code MUSTHAVE, ends tonight).

furladyday
Sunnies: Chanel Wayfarers Style #5182
furladyday2

Readers – any other tips for fixing rings that are too big?

55 thoughts on “How to resize / make a ring fit smaller using tape

• glitteryeyesxx January 16, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Omg, this is so perfect! I have tiny, tiny fingers too. I wear a size 4. I've been trying to figure out different ways to make those cute (yet bigger) rings fit me, so thanks so much for the tips! πŸ™‚

• curls-and-pearls January 16, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Great tip Jean!

What top are you wearing in the video? It's really pretty πŸ™‚

• Karen January 16, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I have the same problem as you with costume rings being too large. My fingers are around 4.5 – 5 (excluding my thumb). One trick I've found that works is to coat the interior with a few coats of clear nail polish; it adds a bit of thickness to the ring and also prevents costume jewelry from turning my fingers green if I accidentally get the ring wet. I think your trick is great too, particularly when I'm short on time to paint my rings and let them dry.

• The Little Dust Princess January 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm

The glasses look great on you. πŸ˜€ Can't wait to see what was in your other Chanel package. : ) What bag are you carrying there? LOL *suspicious* Are there belt loops on the coat or did you just add it on top?

My mom taught me to wrap the same colour thread around a large ring and that totally worked for her for the past decade. Thanks for the wonderful tape trick! I've never heard of it and I'll definitely be trying it out when I have the chance.

xx The Little Dust Princess

• Edwina January 16, 2011 at 8:29 pm

awesome tips on sizing the rings! I don't wear rings often but I'll keep this trick in mind when I need it πŸ™‚

• ReallyPetite January 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh how interesting! Thanks for sharing! And you are looking so gorgeous with your new Chanel sunnies πŸ™‚

• samanthaloves January 16, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You've inspired me to expand my stash of accessories/jewelry after reading some of your older posts on how you started out with minimal accessorizing. The lace top you're wearing in your video is beautiful. And as in previous outfits, I love the faux fur collar!

• PetiteΓ©lΓ©gant January 16, 2011 at 8:44 pm

This is one fabulous outfit. <3

• Maggie January 16, 2011 at 8:52 pm

that's a great tip! I have size 5 fingers and Banana Republic has some styles in size 5 and Rachel Roy has resizeable rings (there's a hidden adjustable mini ring inside the band! works great, but you have to be careful how much pressure you put on the interior band lest it snap off)

• April January 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Ohh great tip on the rings! I loove the coat and faux fur! You always look so classy, stylish and pretty!!! πŸ™‚

• Vicky January 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Great trick, Jean. Everyone has tape lying around, so it's a quick and dirty way to fix a slightly too big ring. (BTW, the I love how good the Limited Ring looks on you!)
    I do have another trick to share if the ring is way to big for you. I used "Dr Scholl's Moleskin Plus padding roll" that is used for padding feet usually, on the back of a ring just like how you would put the tape on the back of a ring. It's soft and cushiony, and it works great. I find the Moleskin useful in general for padding purpose anywhere I need protection, like the parts of my feet rubbing the shoes. I just recently learned this trick so would like to share. Oh Moleskin can be purchased in Target or any drugstores.

Vicky's Daily Fashion

• PetiteLittleGirl January 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for the tips, Jean. It's very interesting. My ring finger is also a size 4. Forever21's size 6 fits my middle finger perfectly. I'll keep this trick in mind. I am loving F21 rings lately. I just found another one the other day. I am wearing it in my latest post. Your new sunnies look gorgeous on you. Nick definitely has great taste πŸ™‚

• Liana January 16, 2011 at 10:16 pm

great tips! i love all your rings too, i have been obsessed with forever 21 rings lately too, i love that they have so many varieties, plus they're so inexpensive! you look gorgeous in your video too and that black and white picture of you is really cool πŸ™‚

Beauty Bag 411

• Jenny January 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm

i do the same thing except i stick a piece of paper on the tape so that the tape isn't actually stuck onto my finger! i've seen graciousglamours on youtube use a piece of like foam tape which is perfect! πŸ™‚

• kileen January 17, 2011 at 12:54 am

omg, this was so super helpful! i was actually just complaining to Adrian today that my ring kept on sliding on my finger! i'm definitely trying this trick now. such an easy trick that i'm surprised i didn't think of it sooner. thank you so much for posting this! πŸ™‚

cute and little

• Canadianpetite January 17, 2011 at 1:12 am

Ingenious tip! You're inspiring me use foam tape. I have to check out that Chanel Wayfarer – they look fabulous.

• AubreyOhDang! January 17, 2011 at 1:50 am

are u wearing any kind of lipstick or is that your natural color? I've always wanted to pull off barbie pink lips.

• TheFowlwithChanelSunglasses January 17, 2011 at 1:54 am

Hey Jean! How have you been?
    Oh gosh, this is a great trick because I've got a whole lot of over-sized Anthro. rings that I just couldn't help but to buy on sale but, they were a little too big….

Here's another trick: my grandmother use to do this all the time if we ever went to the pool or at the beach- take thread and wrap it around the bottom part of the ring about half an inch wide and keep doing this until it's thick enough so that it fits your finger. Works great and it's not temporary!

XOXO
    Miss. P

• Jan Banks January 17, 2011 at 2:35 am

What I do is, buy plain flat rings that actually fit, then put them on *after* the fancy, non-fitting ring. Works every time. Make sure the plain ring is discreet though.

• AnNeTtEe January 17, 2011 at 3:30 am

don't apologize… this is super helpful for me… I know the tape trick but it's the one that you loop around the back of the ring… your trick is so much better coz it's more discreet! thanks for sharing

• Amy January 17, 2011 at 4:45 am

Thanks for the tip, and also all the other tips that people have left in the comments! I've always had this problem and none of these solutions ever occurred to me. I always just dealt with having loose rings lol. I'm definitely going to be trying some of these out in the future! Though I might be trying it with something more water resistant than scotch tape, because I'm borderline obsessive when it comes to washing my hands and I don't always take my rings off for that (probably bad for them, I know)…

• Petite Mom January 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

Genius! What a simple fix! I have small fingers as well and have never even tried on F21 or Top Shop rings knowing they'd never fit. It's nice to have options!

• Erin January 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Excellent tip and love the rings!

• grace January 17, 2011 at 12:13 pm

wow, what GREAT tips! You guys are all so creative. The rings are always too big for me, so this is a great fix! πŸ™‚

And you're looking so chic there πŸ™‚ San Diego is having a bit of summer-like weather this weekend, it's a bit strange πŸ™‚ I look at the snow behind you and I would like some of that!

Thanks for the tip on the NW boots!

• Ping January 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm

what a cute winter look jean! the fur collar makes it very lux and the belt gives a nice shape too. i'm also loving the chanel shades!

• PetiteXXS January 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Neat trick! I have size 3 (maybe smaller) fingers though, I wonder if this will still work with such a big size difference. Do you use a new piece of tape each time or can you just leave the same piece on the ring and re-use? πŸ˜›

Btw I love your nail polish too, which one is it? Looks very flattering on your skin tone.

• AubreyOhDang! January 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I have uber small fingers, like 3.5. I don't even try…

wow, so in the future, if Nick ever wonders what ring sz you are, he can just look up this post. Just a silly thought.

• fashionforteens January 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Love your coat and sunglasses! Great tips too, my fingers are really tiny so I needed this.

• Stylepint January 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm

What a creative way to make the rings fit!

I don't wear rings as much because they don't make them my size (4/5). But I'm slowly building up my collection and I make sure that they fit before I buy. When it comes to jewelry, I don't have the patience to "make it work" and I don't like loose rings because I know I'll lose them.

• Thifa January 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thank you so much for the tip! I have a few rings too big and I'll sure be using your suggestion!

• Callandra January 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Wonderful! I had begun to despair of my beloved rings that are too big and had even thought of giving them away. Not now, I can't wait to try this out! Great idea with the coat and fur collar btw, very cute!!

• Anonymous January 17, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Thank you! this post was so helpful because my fingers are so tiny-I dont even fit into a size 4. This trick is going to help me fit into rings that i could never wear before. Thanks Jean, your the best!

• PetiteAsianGirl January 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

@Jenny Ahh thank you! I just went and googled "graciousglamours" ring video and I love that idea!! Great semi-permanent fix, unlike this. However I went out today to several stores and wasn't able to find foamy tape for less than $8…still deciding on whether or not to make the "investment" lol.

@Karen Clear polish is the solution for so many things, eh? That sounds like it would work perfectly for rings that are just a smidge too big.

@The Little Dust Princess hehehe oh Jessy. Yes I just add it on top. I haven't heard of the thread trick until now but it seems like a few other readers use it too!

@curls-and-pearls It's an H&M; previous season : ) I have the dress in beige that's pretty much the same thing up top.

@samanthaloves it's crazy going from no accessories to an overflowing bin in one year! Thank goodness for F21 prices and constant new selection of costume jewelry : )

@Maggie Is this the Rachel Roy line that is sold at Macy's? i've never thought to check it out!

• PetiteAsianGirl January 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm

@Vicky Another good tip! That probably layers/stacks nicely too if you want to build up the padding width. I'll have to scope it out at Target if I don't find the foam tape for cheaper.

@AubreyOhDang! It's ELF lipstick in "classy" – I really really like it. I would never guess it's a $1 lipstick as I prefer it over my drugstore ones that retail for $8. You should check out this lipstick, and their eyeshadow primer that's also $1. I'm curious how the primer compares to your beloved UD! Oh and there's always coupon codes for ELF on retailmenot.

@TheFowlwithChanelSunglasses I've never checked out rings from Anthro! I bet they have some pretty whimsical pieces. And you're another fan of the thread tip : ) I hadn't heard about that one until reading some of the comments in this post!

@Jan Banks Good tip Jan! I do the exact same thing with bracelets : )

@Amy I probably shouldn't have said scotch tape works just as well lol…probably packaging tape is best. If you read through some of the comments..I've been liking the thread and foam tape suggestions! I always take my rings off because of F21's low quality…they would probably turn green or the stones would fall out after a few washes : )

@grace I knoooow, NOW you guys are having 80 degree weather : )

@PetiteXXS For teeny fingers like yours I would probably try the foam tape trick another commenter mentioned. The foam is thicker and you can build it up, plus it sticks on so it's a more permanent solution. You should try out F21 rings in size 6, since some of them fit like a 5, and then add a layer or two of foam tape? Currently I've been using the same piece of tape for maybe 2-3 wears, then re-doing it. Oh, and the polish is Chic Peek from Ulta : )

• PetiteAsianGirl January 17, 2011 at 10:25 pm

@Stylepint If you have little patience, maybe try out the foam tape trick that Jenny mentioned in the comments! It seems like the best idea I've heard and I can't wait to find some of that tape to try it out.

@Canadianpetite Apparently they come in a few colors too! You should try 'em on…I don't have much luck with sunnies due to my lower nose bridge but these fit wonderfully! I won't need another pair again until something happens to these : )

@AnNeTtEe Ah that sounds similar to the thread trick! Glad to help Annette : )

@Liana The quality isn't bad at all for the price, either! I've been wearing mine for a while and the metal hasn't oxidized or turned smelly and green. I'm expecting the stones to fall out or something, but then I'll just rubber cement it back on : )

@glitteryeyesxx
    @Anonymous @Callandra @fashionforteens @Petite Mom @kileen I hope this works out for you ladies! Do try it with packaging tape though…I shouldn't have said Scotch tape. i forgot how flimsy it is. If you want a more permanent solution, I love the tip Jenny mentioned with foam-tape.

• Kayla January 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi PAG,
    I love the blog, it is so helpful for tiny petites like me. Being only 4'8" and 70 pounds I'm really tiny. This tip enabled me to wear size 4/5 rings. My boyfriend looked so excited. We want to get married, and maybe he thought of buying a sizer for my engagement ring! Thanks for the great idea

• PetiteAsianGirl January 17, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Hello Kayla! You are certainly teensy : ) Congrats to you and your husband to be! He should definitely, definitely get your engagement ring sized by a jeweler. You can ask a few places to get a quote. It's not too pricey and for something like an engagement or wedding ring it's absolutely worth it.

• Megan January 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm

You look stunning in those last few photos! I feel like a troll in my winter gear – had silk longjohns on today for work as I was in and out of the car all day, as well as terrible hat hair. I've decided I'd rather be ugly and warm, though if S. were around, I'd be rocking a look like yours… πŸ™‚

• Rinny January 18, 2011 at 1:17 am

Thanks for the tip! This is really helpful because I always have this problem. I know Claire's also sells little rubber rings you can put inside of the band, but I haven't personally tried them πŸ™‚

• Kimberly January 18, 2011 at 7:31 am

Great tip! Since most fashion rings don't fit my fingers, I just never buy them, so I'm glad I saw this video. It gives me more options.