For Nick’s sale picks this year, we wanted to hone in on pieces that are comfortable for wearing all day at home, and also look polished enough for popping outside or online for meetings! Each of these are slightly elevated basics, featuring a little something that sets it apart like an extra soft fabric or a unique color.
1. Topman Bomber Jacket (in black or olive)
Great value even at full price! Nick lives in his Topman bomber jackets from fall through spring, since it’s an effortless piece for layering on top of any basic jeans + tee outfit. This one is a classic rendition made of a medium weight material with a slight, subtle sheen (less visible on the green).
Fit: Runs a little big especially for Topman, which typically runs small. Nick sized down to XS in this particular cut for a more trim fit.
Below, we also wanted to show how the black color bomber jacket looks one size up (in his usual size S), which would leave a little more room for a sweater or fall layering. Also, these are the Quay sunglasses in the darker tortoise color:
For fit reference, Nick is about 5’9,” 160 lbs (usually wears size S).
2. Quay Polarized Sunglasses ($42.90 ; regularly $65)
Nick has a hard time finding sunglasses that fit comfortably (both in width + at the nose area) and with a face-flattering shape. This style from one of my own favorite sunnies brands is a winner in both colors, and a great price for polarized sunglasses esp. compared to brands like Ray-Ban!
The “grey/brown fade” pictured above is not as light as the stock photo appears, and I like that the color is a little softer against the face. The darker “neutral tortoise/smoke” is a pretty classic option with a more opaque lens.
See other Quay sunglasses on sale here for both men & women.
3. Paige Transcend Denim (~ 40% off!)
Designer denim is not something Nick usually splurges on, but if there is one particular brand and style worth checking out, Paige’s “Transcend” jeans collection is much softer and stretchier than traditional men’s denim.
According to Nick, these are dangerously comfortable and basically feel like everything he envisions “jeggings” to be. Note designer denim for guys usually comes in 1 length, so he got these hemmed (a free alteration at Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack stores for certain cardholder levels).
- Federal Slim Straight (several washes & colors on sale) – TTS. In Nick’s typical pant size (31 waist), this has a more relaxed slim straight fit (not nearly as skinny as one reviewer indicated). After trying two sizes, he ended up going with a smaller 30 for a slimmer fit through the thighs and leg. The color “Mark” is a very versatile medium-dark grey in person. The closer up photo below shows the color more accurately than the other images in this post.
- Paige Lennox Slim Fit (dark blue wash) – TTS with slimmer legs. For guys who want a skinnier cut than the one Nick has on. These are stretchy and soft as well, but were notably slimmer in size 31 and snug on him at the thigh area.
4. 1901 Cotton Henley ($29.90 ; regularly $39.50)
This may look like a basic henley online, but the 100% cotton material is thicker than expected and feels durable. Since getting it, Nick has made multiple comments about how soft and comfortable this is!
Fit: TTS. Nick got his usual size S.
5. Good Man Brand Sneakers ($129.90; regularly $198)
Our store had these on display right next to the sneakerhead-favorite Common Projects Achilles which cost a cool $425. And while the Good Man Edge isn’t cheap, upon my close inspection they hold their own looks-wise and appeared very similar in materials with the same brand of soles as Common Projects (at $300 less).
Like many Italian-made leather sneakers, these may feel stiff in the beginning but expect them to break in with wear. For guys who already have a classic white leather sneaker, the pale gray color (they call it “silver”) is beautiful in person, especially against the copper grommets and logo.
- Stan Smith White on White ($47.90 ; regularly $80) – Pictured below. Also want to mention these very affordable sneakers again as another option. Color is a fresh bright white and Nick said they felt comfortable right out of the box. Fit: These run a little big, so size down half a size if you’re unsure.
Thank you to Nordstrom for partnering on this post.