There’s nothing like spending days mulling over the perfect gift for someone, only for it to be opened and met with a “oh, um, is there gift receipt?” (ahem…Dad). So these are a few gifts I’ve personally given over this past year that resulted in very happy campers. They make good birthday or “just because” gifts throughout the year, but also happen to ship in time for the holidays if you’re shopping in a pinch!
Btw these snaps were taken at the lovely Ocean House, RI hotel during our recent press visit. Nori had a blast meeting Santa for the first time and running in and out of their fondue ski gondolas. The gondolas so cute for a cozy date night or girls brunch, but I’d suggest leaving any active toddlers at home ; )
1. Allbirds Mizzle sneakers (also in womens; free rush shipping)
Warm, water repellent sneakers by a brand committed toward sustainability. Nick is not typically excited by fashion, but wouldn’t stop talking about these shoes after trying them on (they would’ve made his men’s gift guide however were completely sold out at the time).
Luckily, they were fully restocked with free expedited shipping! Nick has tried on all their mens styles and Mizzles were the standouts. He said they felt comfy like his beloved Nike Free sneakers but much warmer and cozier, with a higher top and flexible feel throughout (plus the major water resistant factor of course).
Free 2-day shipping for the holidays on orders $150+ if you order by 12/21. Amongst their down coats, my mother in law (who is ~ 5’2″) loved the longer Ultra Light Hooded Down Coat with removable hood. It is lightweight but she wore it even in frigid Boston with extra layering underneath. I tried on a bunch of their long coats and found the Seamless Down Short Coat (on sale!) to be the most petite friendly. It is shorter than the aforementioned one but still a long coat on someone petite. It’s thicker but still light, and has nifty little features like an interior zipper pocket and slot for earbuds.
For a budget gift, this fleece is still hands down one of my favorite cozy pieces that has held up nicely over time. I’ve worn this going to the gym, lounging at home, as a layer under my thicker coats, the list goes on. Mine pictured above is an older color but I have seen the current ones in person and #35 brown is pretty close (I also liked #30 natural or #1 off white in person).
3. Rothy’s Flats (free rush shipping)
Another sustainable footwear option, these are a great gift for someone who spends a lot of time on their feet. This gift was inspired by my friend, a daycare teacher, who got a gift card for Rothys of her choice and was over the moon. My personal pick is their sleek “point” style in either big cat or smaller leopard. I can do a more detailed review on these in the new year if anyone is interested! If you need a referral code, this gives $20 off a first purchase.
4. Melissa & Doug For the Little ones (free ship by xmas)
- Reusable Sticker pads – these can serve as either interactive learning friendly toys or quiet self entertainment for little ones ages ~ 2 to 8 depending on the type of pad you get. I’ve given these to friends’ little ones who come visit to help keep them busy on the flight back.
- Kitchen sets like Cutting Fruit and Sushi Slicing – can’t wait for Nori to be old enough to open this!
- Pull Back Cars – recommended to us by a friend when I needed toddler boy gift ideas! These are soft, easy to stuff into a bag, and the pull back moving feature can help keep little ones entertained while on the road.
5. Milk Bar Assorted dozen Cookie Tin ($10 for 2 day ship)
I was first hooked on these indulgent cookies thanks to a friend, and have been sending them as gifts ever since (with recipients ranging from clients, to my birthing hospital nurses, to friends who live further away) and they’re always a hit. Each large cookie inside the tin is individually wrapped and sealed to stay fresh, and their shipping is reasonably priced for pretty fast service (usually $10 for delivery in 2 business days). If you need a referral code, this gives $10 off a first purchase of $50+.
other retailers offering free shipping by christmas
- Everlane – order by 11:59pm EST on 12/20 for free 2-day shipping. See my reviews + Nick’s reviews – would highly recommend the men’s merino hoodie he suggested and the everyday performance chinos (they look great together too!).
- Nordstrom – order by noon EST 12/22 for free delivery by Christmas Eve
- H&M – order by 12/19 for free delivery by Christmas Eve
- Banana Republic – 50% off; order by 12/21 for free delivery by Christmas Eve on orders of $100+
- Neiman Marcus – order by noon CT on 12/21 for free delivery by Christmas Eve with code NMRUSH
- Bloomingdales – 15% off + order by 12/21 for free delivery by Christmas Eve
- Sephora – order by 9am PT 12/20 for free delivery by Christmas Eve on orders of $50+
- Abercrombie – not free, but order by 12/19 for $5 for expedited shipping
- Pottery Barn – order by 10am PST with standard shipping by 12/21 for Christmas Eve delivery (must be by 12/20 for monogram items). Nori’s Anywhere Chair is 25% off (note: furniture does not ship free) – we have the regular size and not the “my first size” which would’ve been outgrown quickly.