EP Holiday Kids Gift Drive

plaid holiday presents gift wrap FS

Happy Thanksgiving friends! I have so much to be thankful for, including this incredible online community and the longtime support of many of you. So in the spirit of this holiday, I looked at a few organizations I’ve volunteered at (and have witnessed their impact) and wanted to see how we can do more. I’m excited to announce a holiday gift drive for kids under the care of a wonderful local organization, The Home for Little Wanderers. The Home supports Massachusetts children and families in at-risks situations through their various services, including housing and care for children who’ve experienced abuse, neglect, or other traumatic events, and helps prepare them to transition back to their families, on to their next home, or to independent living.

In speaking with the program director, I was told a lot of the older kids’ wishes will go unfulfilled (as donors tend to gravitate towards the younger ones) and the holidays can be an especially traumatic time for them. As such, we combed through their extensive list of over 2,000 wishes and selected about 50 (most of them averaging around $50 or less) from that age group for the Extra Petite community list. If you’re able, please join me in granting one or more of these wishes!

How to Participate

Update: All 100 gifts on our EP community list have been pledged, thank you!

1. Visit the list of EP community wishes here that we’ve committed to try and help fulfill.
  2. Select an unfulfilled wish that you’d like to grant, and claim it on the spreadsheet.
  3. Come drop your un-wrapped gift off at our Meet & Greet, or ship it directly to The Home’s Toy Room at 33 Corinth Street, Roslindale, MA 02131 (so quick and easy to do via Amazon, Target, or other sites!). If shipping, gifts should aim to be received by December 13th.

I am hoping that we can collectively fulfill all 50 and add more to our list! Here is more FAQ / instructions relating to the gifts. If you are unable to fulfill a gift after claiming it, please just update the sheet so that someone else may do so.

Meet & greet

Saturday, December 7th 9 – 11 a.m. at SAMA Confections, 279 Newbury Street in Boston.
Come stop by during this time slot to say hello to me, Nick and Nori (and drop off a gift, if you’re participating)! My friends at SAMA are also offering 20% off any food or drink purchase. Their delectable Asian inspired puddings in a jar are one of our favorite local desserts – creme brûlée or matcha with red bean are both so yummy!

A SECOND WONDERFUL ORGANIZATION TO SUPPORT

I also want to share one other wonderful local organization I’ve volunteered at – Horizons for Homeless Children. Horizons has more than 90 playspaces within their shelters around Massachusetts that are designed to support children ages 0 – 6 experiencing trauma. They have an Amazon wish list of items needed that can be easily purchased online and sent directly to one of the playspaces!

16 thoughts on “EP Holiday Kids Gift Drive

• Reply Linda November 28, 2019 at 12:53 pm

Your post made me so curious as I had never thought about the gifting needs of the older kids. Elementary schools have giving trees, but they sadly discontinues in the higher grades. As I read through the descriptions of the kids, it made me cry. I will be looking to fulfill a gift through amazon, as I’m on the west coast. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 29, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Thank you Linda for considering contributing! It’s so hard to read through the descriptions without getting emotional, but also inspired by the resiliency of the kids!

• Reply Jane November 28, 2019 at 1:39 pm

I don’t know you but I’m so proud of you for this initiative and for talking about volunteerism. This is wonderful work, Jean.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 29, 2019 at 5:59 pm

I appreciate that, Jane! I’m so moved by the number of women in our small community that have come together already and contributed.

• Reply Tricia November 28, 2019 at 2:27 pm

This is a wonderful idea. I am from Boston but now live in Ohio. I always give to local children. When I read this post it brought tears to my eyes. Many years ago my cousin who lost her mom to a hit and run driver when she was five years old was left with a dad and six older siblings. This family was not left together and for some reason this youngest little girl was sent to The Home for Little Wanderers. She died a few years ago and her family asked for donations in her memory be sent to The Home for Little Wanderers. I can think of no better place to donate to this year. Thank you for making me aware of this.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 29, 2019 at 6:02 pm

Hi Tricia – wow, what a small world. It’s heartbreaking hearing about what your cousin went through, and I am sorry for your family’s loss. The Home must’ve had a very positive impact on her early life if her family asked for donations to be sent there. xx

• Reply Tara C November 28, 2019 at 3:34 pm

Hi Jean,

I have been a long time follower of yours and I am finally in a financial position to start giving back to the community. Thank you for sharing this post and I was happy to fulfill a gift for someone on your list!

Happy holidays to you and your family.

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 29, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Hi Tara, that is so generous of you to start giving back as soon as you’re able. Thank you so much for contributing. Wishing you and your family the best this holiday season xx

• Reply Janki November 28, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Thank you for doing this and making it so easy! It broke my heart to see boys the same age as my son hoping for gifts. One sweet boy just wanted jeans! I’ve asked my 14 year old to help pick out some good ones plus maybe add something else. I wish I could meet you in person after all these years.
    On a side note, I basically told my son “oh, my friend Jean told me about this”. You’re the friend I’ve yet to meet!
    XOXO

• Reply Nancy Huang November 28, 2019 at 5:23 pm

I thought of horizons for homeless children and you mentioned it as well! I cant wait to go to the meet and greet

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 29, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Hi Janki, sad to have missed the chance to meet you guys during your Boston visit this year! I feel like we’ve “known” each other for over a decade now, is it? Thank you so much for contributing and I love that your son is getting involved!

• Reply Janki November 30, 2019 at 8:10 pm

When I come to Boston, I’m seeing you! The family voted to do NY instead. But I love Boston so hopefully we may do some college tours (remember that kindergartener I had when I started following you? He’s a freshman in HS).
        We just sent our goodies. Hope you get a great turnout. Please post!!

• Reply Janine November 29, 2019 at 4:01 am

Oh wow this is such an amazing cause, thank you so much for using your platform and the community you build for raising awareness and hopefully a lot of Christmas gifts for children in need!
    xx Janine

• Reply amwelker November 29, 2019 at 10:09 am

Thank you so much for this Jean! I love that you are teaching Nori how important it is to help others (all year, not just during the holidays)! So beautiful. Can’t wait to help some of these older, deserving kids!!
    xx

• Reply Jean | Extra Petite November 29, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Thank you so much for contributing. I definitely hope to get involved more locally and online outside of the holidays as it’s sometimes easy to forget xx

• Reply Caren December 4, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Even though I already volunteer and donate money to several good causes I sent a gift to this as well. I am so impressed that you are using this platform to bring attention to the many people who need our help. And I am grateful for all the work, along with heart and soul, that you put into your blog.