Part 1 // A 60th Anniversary Gift for my Grandparents

grandparents 60th anniversary wedding photoshoot

My grandparents’ love story began over 60 years ago. It’s not a romantic fairy tale but a story of commitment, hard work, and perseverance through poverty. Their sacrifice laid the foundation for our family and is what allowed us to immigrate here, seeking a better life. They’ve given me so much without ever asking for anything in return, so for their 60th anniversary I wanted to give them the wedding they were never able to have.

grandparents wedding anniversary photoshoot

They never spend a penny on themselves for non-necessities and insist on wearing hand me downs or free tee shirts, so it warmed my heart seeing their eyes light up as we took them shopping for fancy outfits and Nick did this shoot before the ceremony. I cant wait to share more next week after we get photos back from the “wedding”!

grandparent wedding outfit grandma formal dresses

Buying Grampy his first suit of his own // Grandma trying dress options (also pretty for mother of the bride!)

granddaughter grandparents photoshoot

grandparents wedding anniversary photoshoot los angeles engagement wedding photoshoot locations los angeles engagement wedding photo locationsengagement photoshoot los angeles lacma

50 thoughts on “Part 1 // A 60th Anniversary Gift for my Grandparents

• Reply Isabelle Lussier August 18, 2019 at 9:25 pm

What an absolutely beautiful gesture and gift to give to your grandparents! The pictures are stunning and the expressions on their faces are so kind and genuine.

• Reply Dorie August 19, 2019 at 6:24 am

Wow, it’s beautiful. You are a great granddaughter with your heart in the right place! Having grandparents and honoring them as you do is a great luck that you will eventually get back!

• Reply Anonymous August 19, 2019 at 7:05 pm

❤️❤️❤️

• Reply Izzy August 26, 2019 at 5:42 pm

It’s beautiful Jean! Heart warming story of your family. We should celebrate more often of these everyday stories where folks have sacrificed so much for their family!

• Reply Lynn August 18, 2019 at 9:47 pm

Your grandfather looked handsome and your grandmother looked beautiful. The dress that she chose was perfect for her!

• Reply Cecile August 18, 2019 at 10:03 pm

I admire your love for your grandparents! They just show so much joy and gratitude and love for you and your family without expecting much in return. Can’t wait to see more!

• Reply Risa August 18, 2019 at 10:06 pm

My Chinese grandparents also gave everything up so that my parents, my sister, and I could immigrate to the U.S. My grandparents mean the world to me. I have always been closest to my grandparents out of all of my family because they raised me. What you did really warmed my heart. Congratulations!!!

• Reply Kat August 19, 2019 at 8:08 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

• Reply Kate K August 18, 2019 at 10:07 pm

Jean, there are so much to love! I followed on IG so I know you guys stayed up late to organize this event. Seeing you next to them with beaming smiles and little make up is really heart-warming. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply ali August 18, 2019 at 10:08 pm

i am NOT tearing up!!!

• Reply Miu @meetinghalfway August 19, 2019 at 1:02 pm

You & yours have hearts of gold, thank you so much for inspiring me 💛✨ I wish I could do similar for mine.

• Reply Lily August 18, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Jean,

This is so beautiful. I can’t wait to read about the details.

• Reply Michelle DeCarlo August 18, 2019 at 10:21 pm

I’m not crying, you’re crying 😭.

• Reply Ivy August 18, 2019 at 10:24 pm

Beautiful! You are so sweet and considerate to treat your grandparents to this event.

• Reply Samia August 18, 2019 at 11:01 pm

This warmed my heart. Especially on a day when the news was filled with so many terrible things. Thank you jean !

• Reply Katie August 18, 2019 at 11:01 pm

So sweet, 60 years of love is a beautiful thing

• Reply Valeri Pighini August 18, 2019 at 11:24 pm

Wow Jean. I recognized them from your wedding photos. What a wonderful celebration. I love that you share these things. Thank you. Love, Val

• Reply Larissa August 18, 2019 at 11:26 pm

Im NOT crying…..

• Reply Ca August 22, 2019 at 7:37 pm

What a beautiful celebration! The true meaning of a life well lived. Your grandparents are a symbol of how we should all be…. humble with a large serving of love.

• Reply Annie August 19, 2019 at 12:22 am

Jean this is such a sweet and thoughtful thing you and nick have done for your grandparents. Nori has such great role models!

• Reply Janine August 19, 2019 at 1:19 am

What a wonderful, wonderful post 🙂 This is so nice of you to do that for your grandparents, they both look amazing and those photos are oh so beautiful! Wishing you and your family all the best!
    xx Janine

• Reply Victoria Frances August 19, 2019 at 2:38 am

Definitely moved to tears reading this story.

Your grandparents are so lucky to have a thoughtful granddaughter like you. And you have in turn been raised so well by your family. What a lovely way for all your success to come full circle.

What a treat for everyone involved, including your readers who are given the gift of humility and reminded of a much greater purpose that photography, clothing and celebrations can have.

A lovely post.

• Reply Rena August 19, 2019 at 3:49 am

Oh, this post is so touching and I see your grandparents are wonderful people – as you!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Reply Anonymous August 19, 2019 at 8:16 am

Jean you are da bomb! You are a beautiful woman. But your outer beauty only reflects a tiny portion of your grand inner beauty. Your grandparents are a part of your family’s wonderful legacy of love which I’m sure you will pass along to your daughter.

• Reply Lynette August 19, 2019 at 9:02 am

What a heartwarming story. I just buried my 92-year old dad, and it seems like the world does not respect older people. They get cast aside like they don’t matter anymore. What a wonderful way you have honored your grandparents!

• Reply Mae August 19, 2019 at 9:58 am

I love this so so much! What a wonderful gift!

• Reply Laura August 19, 2019 at 10:32 am

In a time when there is so much negativity around immigration and so many people seem to have forgotten that nearly every American can (quite easily) trace their past back to immigrants, it is wonderful to see you honoring where you came from.

• Reply Gwen August 19, 2019 at 11:03 am

Just THE sweetest! Your grandparents are so precious. And, you are too.

• Reply Bellina Tse August 19, 2019 at 11:26 am

What a blessing! Congratulations to your grandparents on 60 years. Seeing these photos reminds me of the sacrifices that my grandparents and parents made for our family. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Reply MRS LOVE R DOLL August 19, 2019 at 11:42 am

OMG! Y’all got me sitting here tears just rolling down my face ! Love is a beautiful thing! Thanks for sharing 😋

• Reply Fran August 19, 2019 at 1:02 pm

The world needs more people like you, Jean!!! (Though I have been reading your lovely blog for years, I can’t recall ever leaving a comment. )

• Reply Mireia August 19, 2019 at 2:19 pm

This is so lovely!

• Reply Bo August 19, 2019 at 3:38 pm

This makes me cry. A 60 years marriage truly deserve a celebration!

• Reply Maria August 19, 2019 at 3:53 pm

What a beautiful, wonderful (and inspiring) post!

• Reply Revanche @ A Gai Shan Life August 19, 2019 at 4:06 pm

I think stories like theirs are the most romantic of all. They put in all that work for sixty years and they are still happy together. They have a wonderful family that loves them and celebrates them. Not just that, y’all respect and appreciate what they did for you. What a wonderful gift after all their sacrifices. I hope y’all had the best time!

• Reply Elizabeth Tran August 19, 2019 at 4:23 pm

In love with these beautiful photos <3 🙂 And I'm so touched by this post! This (as well as your Instagram post last night) had me tearing up!

XO, Elizabeth T.

• Reply Yael @ Nosherium August 19, 2019 at 7:15 pm

This is just the loveliest thing! What a sweet gift to honor your grandparents!

• Reply Sunny August 19, 2019 at 8:36 pm

My husband and I just celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary (together 10 years next month!). This is a beautiful photo & story and where I hope we’ll be in 50 or 60 years! We just became expats this year ourselves, moving to the other side of the planet, and I hope our grandkids will one day feel as you do and appreciate that difficult decision.

These types of posts are my favorite part of your blog. I love your elegant style and Nick’s photography is amazing, but these heartfelt articles where you bravely share such beautiful personal moments are the true gems.

• Reply Beth August 20, 2019 at 9:06 am

WOW! 60 years of marriage! CONGRATULATIONS to your grandparents!

Your grandfather looks so handsome, and your grandmother looks so beautiful. A lovely present, Jean!

(I love the red bouquet and boutonniere with blush!)

• Reply Rosie August 20, 2019 at 10:29 am

One of your best posts yet. Just perfect.

• Reply Emilia August 20, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Such a beautiful gift to give your grandparents. I can see the love that they have for each other emanating through the photos that you have posted. Love this!

• Reply Anonymous August 20, 2019 at 2:15 pm

i got so teary from the photographs. this is my favorite blog post of yours!

• Reply Alexis S. August 20, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Jean this is such a beautiful gesture! I love how much the love you have for your grandparents radiates from you. What a lovely way to celebrate them and their love for each other. You are amazing, and this brings me so much joy!

• Reply Briana August 20, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Awh, this is so sweet!

Briana

• Reply Betty | CHALK Academy August 21, 2019 at 3:38 am

Definitely have smiles and tears reading this post, Jean! What a beautiful tribute to your amazing grandparents. My parents and grandparents were also immigrants from China and sacrificed so much, and so your lovely words really hit home. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. Happy 60th anniversary to your gorgeous grandparents!

• Reply Christi Beebe August 21, 2019 at 10:23 am

Jean – What an amazing idea, and the most loving gesture. Just look at the smiles on their faces. Incredible. 🙂 Love this! Thanks so much for sharing.

• Reply Maureen August 21, 2019 at 11:10 am

What a beautiful gesture Jean. This is a priceless gift and one I know your grandparents will treasure and cherish. Your Grandma’s dress is stunning and suits her perfectly!

• Reply Lisa August 25, 2019 at 12:18 am

Oh my goodness, what a spectacular idea, Jean! Your grandparents are so incredibly lucky to have such a thoughtful granddaughter and grandson-in-law. The pictures are so moving and made me tear up immediately. Absolutely can’t wait to read Part II. Also want to take this chance to tell you what a beautiful family you have–Nori is simply adorable, and I’m over the moon for you and Nick. Wishing the three of you and your extended family absolutely the best, now and in the future. So SO happy for you. This is only my second time to leave a comment here but I’ve been enjoying your blog for years. Thank you for all the practical tips and also more personal moments you share with all of us, and for letting us be part of your life. I know I speak for all your readers when I say that we appreciate it so much!

• Reply Pat Epps August 26, 2019 at 10:21 pm

Happy tears are flowing down my face & my heart is melting seeing so much love & Joy.
    Thank you for sharing this treasured occasion .
    Wishing your grandparents health & even more happiness.

• Reply Aki! September 4, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Your grandmother looks so sweet and your grandpa looks very dapper! Good picks!