I’ve gotten a lot of questions on my workout routine – to be honest, calling what I do a “routine” would be a bit of a stretch! And if any of you are fitness gurus, you may not want to read much further because this is a mishmash, hodgepodge list of my favorite exercises. But it’s what works for me. Ok, you’ve been warned!
– 2x a week cardio via running
– 2 to 3x a week toning & strengthening my abs, legs, or arms at home. See below for my go-to YouTube workouts!
– Most importantly: making healthier eating decisions (at least on weekdays), incorporating more nutritious produce, lean protein, whole grains and less processed, fried, sodium or sugar-laden foods (MyPlate has been helpful as a guide). This has been a real struggle because I LOVE certain “bad” foods, but eating better makes a big difference in how my body feels and responds to exercise.
Favorite YouTube Workouts
I love having a variety of exercises to try and rotate through every week. Below are some of the most-watched YouTube videos and channels on my list – these are great if you have just pockets of time, and want to squeeze in a workout in the comfort of your home!
- Video: Perfect 10 Abs! (workout starts at 0:50 seconds) by Blogilates. I’ve followed Cassey’s videos for years and love her bubbly energy. Many workout videos on YouTube can be so dry and robotic in comparison! When working out alone in my living room, I need some friendly encouragement to push to the end. I love this particular video for toning abs from all angles (finishing that last plank is brutal)!
- Video: 10 Min Abs Workout. While you might be distracted at first by the barely-there attire, this is a pretty good workout (I’m usually dying by the long stretch of silence around 6:30), especially if you do this video twice in a row!
- For a less “sexy” video with most of the same moves (in a different order), you can try this ab workout. I prefer the one above, though … something about the sequence of moves and the duration of each one makes me feel it more in both my abs and arms!
- Video: Arm Workout with Weights. Rebecca Louise is very likable … she’s upbeat and encouraging throughout videos, but not over-the-top. This is the only workout here needing some sort of equipment, but having some small weights at home is definitely worth it (get them at Target or Marshalls / TJ Maxx)! I’ve tried a lot of arm workouts without weights, and it’s just not as effective for me.
Legs & Butt
- Video: Get Thin Thighs in 5 Minutes. Hate the title of this video, but it’s easy to follow and you get a decent burn. It’s short, so I also typically do this one twice back-to-back.
- Channel: Ballet Beautiful series. I’ve done these dancer-inspired toning videos many times, but they don’t excite me (no music, quiet, very monotone instructor). Several of my friends love it, though, so I wanted to include it anyways!
- Channel: Popsugar Fitness. They have several dance workout videos led by guest instructors, who do a pretty good job of breaking down the moves either in the beginning, or as you go. If it’s too gross to run outside, I’ll do one or two of these longer videos to work up a sweat indoors!
- Channel: Keaira LaShae. Keaira has great energy and shares a wide variety of dance styles, from hip hop to African dancing, to even a lighter prenatal dance workout created when she was pregnant. I have literally no rhythm, but these are fun for occasionally letting out your inner Beyonce!
What are your favorite at-home workout routines or videos? I’m always looking to try something new, so would love to hear your recommendations!