• Faux leather + cropped tweed; Chanel-style jacket for petites

no5jacket5

No. 5 jacket in brown sz S c/o Uniqueen, H&M; faux-leather leggings (similar), Target blouse

This jacket from Uniqueen is undoubtedly one of my favorite pieces right now. It comes in 6 lovely colors and I spent ages trying to decide what to try. The cream is crisp and clean, the yellow is fun, and the peach pink is ultra feminine. After looking through my wardrobe, the most versatile color for me is brown (I returned the peach pink, but did snap some pics of it). I tried to answer most of your questions in this post, but please review the measurements on the website and compare them against your own clothes, and ask the retailer any questions before ordering.

I liked Uniqueen’s Malang jacket (now back in satin lining), but the fit was not perfect on my frame. The Malang fit me in the shoulders, but the torso was a bit roomy and the length hit my hips. I mentioned wanting to shorten the length, but never got around to attempting it.
    no5jacket9

Left: For work with Gap blouse & Ann Taylor tropical wool skirt, taken in (this season’s color)

The first thing I noticed about this No. 5 jacket was the cropped length – a S measures 18″ long vs. the Malang which is 20″ long. This jacket may be too short for taller ladies (unless you want cropped), but is perfect for petites. As someone who is 5 feet tall, it’s been very hard finding jackets that are short enough to pair with skirts and/or flat shoes without truncating my leg line. The length of this jacket makes it so versatile for me. I’ve worn it already with longer pencil skirts, wool mini skirts, jeans and flats, leggings and tall boots, sheath dresses…you name it.
    no5jacket3

Chanel tortoise wayfarers (similar) & WOC, Target pumps w/ DIY cap (similar), Revlon coral lipstick

Sizing: Comes in three sizes (unlike the Malang) – S, M, and L. These sizes definitely run smaller than mainstream American sizes. A Small in the No. 5 feels comparable to XXS-00P at Ann Taylor / LOFT (except with longer sleeves), or in-between a size 2 and 4 at H&M.; Again, please check the measurements on the website listed for each size…

My sz S measures 18-18.5″ in length, 15.5″ across the chest when lying flat, 14-14.5″ across the shoulders including shoulder pads, 24″ long sleeves, 5.5″ across upper sleeve width.

no5jacket4

Quality: Very good for the price ($80.74 + ship). The first time I wore it, my friend grabbed it and said, “Where’s this from? It looks expensive!” A comparable jacket at Ann Taylor or BR would retail for upwards of $200, and J.Crew has a $600 version of the yellow tweed cropped jacket (that’s somehow already sold out in many sizes..?). This tweed is medium-weight with a lot of dimension, and there’s plenty of features like gold-tone buttons, full lining, functional lower pockets, trim that goes all-around (pet peeve of mine is items where the trim is only on the front half), plus a No. 5 pearl-studded pin. The pin is slightly pushing the design into too heavily-inspired territory, but it’s removable.
    no5jacket1
    Fit: I’m wearing a Small and it fits me well everywhere except for sleeve length. Please note that the sleeves are longer than shown and will need to be hemmed or folded under for shorter arms. I have them tucked under here and secured with safety pins (thankfully, the textured tweed hides pins so I’ll continue wearing it like this until I have time to do a formal alteration).

I also personally prefer my jacket sleeves to be slightly slimmer, but these do measure 5.5″ across the widest point which is standard per my other blazers in Theory 00 or H&M; 2. The shoulders are padded and stick out marginally past my natural shoulders, so beware if you have a narrower frame. I like that the torso is slimmer so the front flaps do not overlap on me; I can finally achieve that casual open-jacket look without looking too boxy from the side.
    no5jacket7
    Other notes: This jacket has no closure. I plan on adding a little hook and eye closure to the front center for the option of wearing it closed. Also, I was not a fan of the sparklies in the trim of this, but happily discovered that they are woven in and can be removed strand by strand. I spent about 20 minutes snipping and pulling out some of the tinsel-like strands from the trim, and now love the less-effervescent jacket. (Sidenote: For those who own the Malang jacket and think there is too much fringe, I also discovered that the trim can be easily removed. The fringe on the sleeves is attached by just one stitch down the center, so you can use little scissors to snip that stitch without affecting the layer below.)

*UPDATE* – If you plan on pulling out the sparklies, make sure to lay the edges of the jacket out and hold them down firmly with clamps or something (I awkwardly used my knees). Be patient, and use small scissors to snip often before pulling. If you p
    ull on a strand too hard, the edge of the jacket will bunch up from the tension and will be difficult to smooth back down. This didn’t happen with my brown one, but I was too hasty with my white one and the front edges don’t lie flat anymore.

no5jacket6Above: close-up of the texture after ~80% of sparklies were removed from the black trim.

no5jacket2

Readers – What do you think of this jacket? If you own it, please feel free to share what size you ordered and how it fit (please note your measurements). I’m sure fellow tweed-loving ladies will be thankful for the reference info!

224 thoughts on “Faux leather + cropped tweed; Chanel-style jacket for petites

• Wendy March 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm

love this outfit!

• Unknown March 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Hi Jean.. I wear a size M in the Malang jacket, if I get the No.5 tweed in a M don't you think it should fit the same or too small? the Malang jacket fit perfect on the shoulder but the torso is a little roomy. since the No.5 tweed is measure smaller I afraid the shoulder is too small for me. Please let me know. thks. Elaine

• Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I am sorry to ask you this here but I didn't know how to e-mail you or contact you any other way. I have ordered Amrita Singh Jewelry from Enviius.com while ago. I still haven't received it yet. When I called the number on the website, it keeps saying that their mailbox is full and they don't e-mail back. However, they still e-mail their newsletter almost everyday. I was wondering if there is any way I can get the refund. If it is a fraud, can you report it? Please let me know. Thank you.

• Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Wow! Love the jacket! I think I might look into getting one myself. I'm always afraid to order online bc I dont want to hassle of havinf to return it if it looks terrible on me. Decisions, decisions!

• Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Hi Jean, I love you style and appreciate for you blog and advise on fashion. Could you give me some advise on what should I wear to a movie date (first date also) with a very good friend (as for now)? Thank you!

• refinedfits March 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Love how you mixed so many different textures into one outfit!

• Adrianne March 21, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I TOTALLY think that you should rewear this again. I WOULD. You own your style Jean!! If people actually cared what other people think or wear, then who would you be? As Coco Chanel said, "Fashion fades, only style remains the same."

In my opinion, I loved how you modernized the Coco Chanel look. I would probably have worn the same outfit!

• Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I bought the same exact piece but would never pair it with pleather that tight. Sorry. Love the pleather idea but maybe just this once, it's good to go one (or two) sizes up.

• Jennifer Ng March 21, 2012 at 11:09 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Fiona March 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Please, if I had legs like hers, I'd be wearing those leggings all the time. I'll be honest–I don't normally like that type of legging, but I think because 1) the people wearing them often shouldn't be and 2) they are usually wearing other trendy things.

I think the fact that everything else is classic really made this look work.

• Fiona March 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I am probably 20 years older than you, Jean, and even though I'm in decent shape, I tell you this with the perspective of age: wear whatever you want now. Because when you are older, even if you have the body for it, you'll worry that you are dressing too youthfully. So wear the goshdarn liquid leggings now. You have the figure for it! And they are totally appropriate for going out when you are a young woman.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Are you a dress kind of girl? I'd wear a casual dress that's cute and shows off a girly shape (H&M; has cute, affordable ones – look for dresses that come with a belt or add a waist belt yourself). Just something you're comfortable in and not too dressed up since it's your friend. If you don't like dresses – try a dark skinny denim with a dressier blouse that drapes nicely and shows off your feminine side : ) Have fun!

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Sigh, I'm not sure how you can get a refund because they don't answer emails or calls. Enviuus is awful and I'm never ordering from them again. I regret posting about them on my site. I actually DID receive an order about 5 months after placing it, when I thought all hope was lost, so they're not a complete scam – just terrible business-doing and customer service.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2012 at 11:24 pm

That's a tough call and I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. The fit of the shoulders in both jackets is almost exactly the same, but the length of No.5 is shorter, the sleeves are longer, and the torso is narrower. Please check the shoulder measurements for No. 5 on their website and in my post, and email them if you want more measurements. Based on just what you wrote I'd think a S would be better than a M.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm

They embossed leather pair I have are NOT comfortable. I do have a pair of patent leather ones though that have been worn for over three years and they are the most comfortable flats I own. I don't know if patent is just more pliable, or if it's because I've worn them that many more times.

• Anonymous March 21, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I don't usually like leggings as pants but I think you pull them off quite well. Love the shoes and the jacket too.

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 12:37 am

Jean, Just had to comment on the wonderful blog and your amazing outfit!

I also own these leggings and I am MUCH older.I love them!.

I am afraid I have learned that some women are extremely envious of adorable little women who can wear anything and everthing with style and class.

Hold your head high beautiful little lady, you are a diamond among rocks!.

• reategs March 22, 2012 at 6:05 am

Hey Anonymous, I think you are mirroring your problems into her, there is no cellulite or bent knees, look into yourself and you may find that is how you think about yourself. I am all up for if it fits and you feel right, wear it! Love your style Jean! It is not a crime to dress sexy and edgy once in a while. Lighten up girls!

• reategs March 22, 2012 at 6:07 am

I think people is having problems with girls dressing a bit sexy! She is experimenting and why not showing her legs, she has nice legs!

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 9:43 am

5 month? Unbelievable!
      I guess I can hope my order will come eventually then.
      I appreciate your reply.

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 10:43 am

Jean, I just discovered your blog a few weeks ago and I am obsessed! I find myself running out to my local stores fairly often looking for items you recommend. It's slightly harder for me though, because I'm in Toronto and a lot of the deals and promotions are different.

If you have time, can you try and do a tutorial/post on how you did your hairstyle (bun) in this post. I love it.

• Min March 22, 2012 at 11:38 am

Hi Jean!
      I hope you are well. I am a first time commenter on your blog, but definitely not a first time visitor. I check your site probably 3-4 times a week for a good dose of style inspiration and great shopping/DIY tips! I think you do a wonderful job and I love the outfits that you put together.
      Regarding this post, I've actually been thinking of trying the leather legging/jean look, and the way you styled them is just amazing, in my opinion. The tweed, the ruffles, and the pumps – I think it looks very classy with a bit of edge. You wear it so well, and you may just hear about me picking up a pair of leather leggings on my next shopping trip 🙂
      Thanks to you and a couple of other style bloggers who I consider my go-to sources for inspiration and styling tips (9to5chic, wendyslookbook), I've been broadening my style horizons and finding that it's possible to wear bright colors, sequins, fun-patterned shoes, scarves, fun accessories, in a variety of different formats (casual, dressy, etc) while always remaining elegant – even understated.
      Thank you and all the other souls who are brave and generous enough to share your style journeys with the world. Please keep up the great work, and know that for every negative comment that unfortunately makes it through, there are about 1,000+ positive comments and thoughts that your posts inspire!
      Best regards,
      Min

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 11:59 am

Hi there!It's Anna from UniQUEEN.
      I definitely agree with Jean! I would recommend you to choose Medium size if you were comfortable with Medium in Malang.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Hi Judy – since “slightly larger” is a bit vague, I don’t want to give you an inaccurate recommendation but I think S will work : ) Like I mentioned above, the jacket feels similar to something in between an H&M; 2-4, maybe leaning towards a size 4. My measurements are 30A-24-32 and the jacket will fit someone probably with measurements an inch bigger all around, plus it’s open-front so maybe more. The most important measurement to check, I’d say, is the shoulder width.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Yes they're fully lined, except to maybe an inch above the hand opening where the lining gets attached to the tweed.

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Hi Judy.It's Anna from UniQUEEN.
      If you provide the detailed size of yours and I can help you better which size you can choose between Small and Medium size. If you are only SLIGHTLY larger than Jean, I usually recommend small size.
      Thank you!
      Let me know if you would like to know something more(info@myuniqueen.com)

• Jae (if only I had a blog still I wouldn't be semi-anonymous) March 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

i'm definitely not a petite (although i'm short as heck) and i wear leggings like that all the time under my longer tops. i've never, in all my life, had anyone tell me "your cellulite is showing" or something like that when i wear them. even if i KNOW i have cellulite (i'm not a stick-figure, go figure), it's never been done. people on the internet who think it's so cool to say whatever's on their mind because they're behind the safety of a computer annoy me. you see it all the time on youtube videos, and it's just leaving a bad taste in my mouth. is society really full of people who think that many vile thoughts?
      seriously, sometimes (okay, a lot of the time), i secretly hope and wish that the mean things people say online will be said to their face by a random stranger as they're taking a walk. it's a terrible thought to have, but some people just need a taste of their own medicine. if i don't like something somebody's posted…isn't it just easier to click away?
      anyway, ranting aside, you're gorgeous as always jean. rock those leggings, and don't listen to the hate. any blog who has a large readership will incur some anonymous "hate"-comments. just remember there are more people who love you than hate you! <3

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I am kind of amazed that someone has the audacity to tell you what you should (or shouldn't wear). I hope this wont deter you from taking style risks because that is what I personally look forward to seeing most from you. Your blog should be about self-expression and experimentation, and it's ridiculous that anyone wouldn't be supportive of that. I personally love pleather leggings, (pleggings?) and think they were made for someone with a body like yours in mind. I hope you can be objective and see that some of these rude comments are just obviously false. For every negative reader out there you have dozens who support you in all of your fashion endeavors.

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Thank you so much for your reply and advise, Jean! I'm definitely a dress kind of girl, so I will be wearing a spring dress with a belt. Thanks again 🙂

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I’m sure Jean doesn’t mind the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, but it’s the rude comments (i.e. cellulite) that is inappropriate. Would you have the nerve to say this to Jean’s face in real life? I’m sure she doesn’t mind people’s opinion on whether this is a good look or not, but is it really necessary to get on a personal level just so you can try to make someone feel bad w/o really providing an opinion or constructive criticism?? It is so easy to be disrespectful when you can hide behind a computer screen and keyboard.

• Emma March 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Hi Anna! I am interested in getting the No.5 but I'm worried about the fit. I'm generally a small/ H&M; size 4, 5'1" and 105 lbs, I'm guessing about 1-2 sizes bigger than Jean. I usually get the smallest size but was wondering if I should get the Medium since this jacket fits small but at the same time, I wouldn't want it too big either. Basically what I am asking is if the Small would fit someone 1-2 sizes bigger than Jean or should I just get the Medium. Thanks for any input you may have. It's difficult buying something you can't try on.:)

– Emma

• rossana March 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I love your style. Thanks for the great ideas

• Anonymous March 22, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Jean I am in love with your blog and your style! Everything you wear looks absolutely amazing. PLEASE don't stop wearing those leather leggings because insecure haters feel the need to post jealous comments. The leggings are HAWT! They look totally fantastic on you and the way you paired them with a more classic top and jacket completely balances the look. Anyway I just wanted to let you know what I thought – I am extremely sensitive and some of those comments would have made me cry..I hope you don't take them to heart or change anything about your style because it's completely fantastic!! <3 becca

• Anonymous March 23, 2012 at 3:54 am

Early twenties? I always thought you were in your late twenties because you are so wise. May I ask your exact age Jean? I am very curious now.

• Lizzie March 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Hi Jean (and everyone else)!

I'm just wondering, has any one considered ordering UNIQUEEN clothes directly from Korean sellers? The prices can be (not always) 30-40% cheaper, but I'm not sure how much shipping + duty would increase the cost.

many of the items available on UNIQUEEN can be found on shopping.daum.net , but you do have to search in Korean.

• April March 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm

OMG those leather pants were made for you!!!

• The Fashionable ESQ March 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love the leggings – and obviously the jacket is outstanding.
      xo
      The Fashionable ESQ

• Anonymous March 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

Jeans, I've been following your blog for quite some time and never leave any comments. It's time to break my silence as I wanted to thank you for putting in so much effort to share instructive information with us. I appreciate your hard work on taking photos, editing and writing reviews on fashion.
      One of the thing i always like about you is you have a kind heart. You always introduce and welcome other new bloggers to the blogging community. Because of you, i get to read other great blog(wendy, khatu, etc) as you encourage your readers to check out their blogs. You are a girl with gratitude and good sense of fashion. We love you and don't bother about the haters.
      To those rude anonymous commenters, if you don't like what you see, simply click away and don't leave any harsh comment to hurt other people's feeling. Do spare a thought for Jean as she has spent her precious time doing all these reviews and you read it FOC.
      Xoxo
      Chloe

• Elissa March 24, 2012 at 11:01 am

I personally LOVE how you styled the edgy leather leggings with the classic tweed jacket. I ended up purchasing the jacket in black. What sold me on the black was the stock photo of the model wearing the black jacket with the black dress underneath. I can totally picture myself wearing that to court. It was a really hard decision between the black and brown though.

• Anonymous March 25, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I've been having nothing but problems with the UniQueen website. Tried to purchase a couple of jackets, but had no luck. Emailed them for an explanation and the email was returned as undeliverable.

• UniQUEEN March 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hi there.
      How are you?
      I just got this bad news from Jean. I had no idea why this happened to you. I emailed my webmaster to figure it out. If you don't mind, could you please email us with your question to this email address(uniqueen.luv@gmail.com)for me to provide you better customer service.
      We are sincerely sorry about your inconvenience.

UniQUEEN

• UniQUEEN March 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Hi there. How are you?
      Our shipping fee is $10.99 for customers within Canada and $13.99 for international customers.
      Thank you.
      UniQUEEN

• wisblos March 26, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hi Jean,
      Thank you so much for the tip regarding removing the "tinsel" from the jacket. I spent a good few hours and only managed one sleeve and one side of the front. Any tip on how I can be more efficient?

• Anonymous March 27, 2012 at 12:26 am

Hi Jean,
      Do you dry clean the tweed jacket? I'm thinking of handwashing mine but unsure if this is right. Bringing to the laundry is quite a hassle for me. Hope you can advise.
      Thank you.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 27, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hi there – I think it says dry clean only, and even if it didn't, I would advise against handwashing unless you are spot cleaning a stain or something. A jacket like this doesn't need to be brought to the dry cleaners too often because you're always wearing a layer underneath. I find it a hassle too, but proper cleaning is important for garment maintenance.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 27, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hmm…it took me a short amount of time…are you using small scissors to snip the tinsel into segments before pulling out? Otherwise some strands are super long and might take a long time to pull. Also, I didn't remove all of it so maybe that's why. I didn't want to loosen up the weave of the trim too much so I just removed about 80% of the tinsel.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 27, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hi Lizze! I have been contacted by Korean and Singapore sellers that carry similar-style clothing, however I'm uncomfortable recommending readers of this blog (mostly US and Canadian) to order from overseas sellers with stores in non-English. I used to shop online at YesStyle which is in English, but the store was still overseas, merchandise was sent from Korea, and customer service was pretty much nonexistent. Therefore I've currently taken a hiatus from shopping such companies (ASOS is an exception) and would rather pay a premium than deal with those issues.

• PetiteAsianGirl March 27, 2012 at 12:46 am

Thank you – I'm 24. I am not wise, but I have learned a lot through experience, trial and error.

• Windy March 28, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hi I love your pearl necklace!!!so cute! can I ask where to buy it or similar ones?