Faux leather + cropped tweed; Chanel-style jacket for petites

no5jacket5

No. 5 jacket in brown sz S c/o Uniqueen, H&M; faux-leather leggings (similar), Target blouse

This jacket from Uniqueen is undoubtedly one of my favorite pieces right now. It comes in 6 lovely colors and I spent ages trying to decide what to try. The cream is crisp and clean, the yellow is fun, and the peach pink is ultra feminine. After looking through my wardrobe, the most versatile color for me is brown (I returned the peach pink, but did snap some pics of it). I tried to answer most of your questions in this post, but please review the measurements on the website and compare them against your own clothes, and ask the retailer any questions before ordering.

I liked Uniqueen’s Malang jacket (now back in satin lining), but the fit was not perfect on my frame. The Malang fit me in the shoulders, but the torso was a bit roomy and the length hit my hips. I mentioned wanting to shorten the length, but never got around to attempting it.
no5jacket9

Left: For work with Gap blouse & Ann Taylor tropical wool skirt, taken in (this season’s color)

The first thing I noticed about this No. 5 jacket was the cropped length – a S measures 18″ long vs. the Malang which is 20″ long. This jacket may be too short for taller ladies (unless you want cropped), but is perfect for petites. As someone who is 5 feet tall, it’s been very hard finding jackets that are short enough to pair with skirts and/or flat shoes without truncating my leg line. The length of this jacket makes it so versatile for me. I’ve worn it already with longer pencil skirts, wool mini skirts, jeans and flats, leggings and tall boots, sheath dresses…you name it.
no5jacket3

Chanel tortoise wayfarers (similar) & WOC, Target pumps w/ DIY cap (similar), Revlon coral lipstick

Sizing: Comes in three sizes (unlike the Malang) – S, M, and L. These sizes definitely run smaller than mainstream American sizes. A Small in the No. 5 feels comparable to XXS-00P at Ann Taylor / LOFT (except with longer sleeves), or in-between a size 2 and 4 at H&M.; Again, please check the measurements on the website listed for each size…

My sz S measures 18-18.5″ in length, 15.5″ across the chest when lying flat, 14-14.5″ across the shoulders including shoulder pads, 24″ long sleeves, 5.5″ across upper sleeve width.

no5jacket4

Quality: Very good for the price ($80.74 + ship). The first time I wore it, my friend grabbed it and said, “Where’s this from? It looks expensive!” A comparable jacket at Ann Taylor or BR would retail for upwards of $200, and J.Crew has a $600 version of the yellow tweed cropped jacket (that’s somehow already sold out in many sizes..?). This tweed is medium-weight with a lot of dimension, and there’s plenty of features like gold-tone buttons, full lining, functional lower pockets, trim that goes all-around (pet peeve of mine is items where the trim is only on the front half), plus a No. 5 pearl-studded pin. The pin is slightly pushing the design into too heavily-inspired territory, but it’s removable.
no5jacket1
Fit: I’m wearing a Small and it fits me well everywhere except for sleeve length. Please note that the sleeves are longer than shown and will need to be hemmed or folded under for shorter arms. I have them tucked under here and secured with safety pins (thankfully, the textured tweed hides pins so I’ll continue wearing it like this until I have time to do a formal alteration).

I also personally prefer my jacket sleeves to be slightly slimmer, but these do measure 5.5″ across the widest point which is standard per my other blazers in Theory 00 or H&M; 2. The shoulders are padded and stick out marginally past my natural shoulders, so beware if you have a narrower frame. I like that the torso is slimmer so the front flaps do not overlap on me; I can finally achieve that casual open-jacket look without looking too boxy from the side.
no5jacket7
Other notes: This jacket has no closure. I plan on adding a little hook and eye closure to the front center for the option of wearing it closed. Also, I was not a fan of the sparklies in the trim of this, but happily discovered that they are woven in and can be removed strand by strand. I spent about 20 minutes snipping and pulling out some of the tinsel-like strands from the trim, and now love the less-effervescent jacket. (Sidenote: For those who own the Malang jacket and think there is too much fringe, I also discovered that the trim can be easily removed. The fringe on the sleeves is attached by just one stitch down the center, so you can use little scissors to snip that stitch without affecting the layer below.)

*UPDATE* – If you plan on pulling out the sparklies, make sure to lay the edges of the jacket out and hold them down firmly with clamps or something (I awkwardly used my knees). Be patient, and use small scissors to snip often before pulling. If you p
ull on a strand too hard, the edge of the jacket will bunch up from the tension and will be difficult to smooth back down. This didn’t happen with my brown one, but I was too hasty with my white one and the front edges don’t lie flat anymore.

no5jacket6Above: close-up of the texture after ~80% of sparklies were removed from the black trim.

no5jacket2

Readers – What do you think of this jacket? If you own it, please feel free to share what size you ordered and how it fit (please note your measurements). I’m sure fellow tweed-loving ladies will be thankful for the reference info!

224 thoughts on “Faux leather + cropped tweed; Chanel-style jacket for petites

• chris March 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

Such a good look! However, it's screaming for wrist length black leather Chanel gloves!!

• chris March 31, 2012 at 10:58 am

• Kitty April 2, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Hi Jean,

This is the first time I'm posting here. I'm very interested in purchasing this jacket, but am unsure about the length. Based on the measurements and the comments here, it seems like size S will fit, but I'm a few inches taller than you and it might be too short. What are your thoughts? For reference, I'm 5'3" around 105 lbs. Usually wear size 2-4 at H&M; depending on the cut and material. I wear both regular and petite sizing depending on the brand, item type, and material. Thanks for your help! I love the "liquid" leggings and have been searching for them everywhere.

Kitty

• Anonymous April 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thank you! Great tutorial! I am going to try it!

• jko April 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Jean, I just got my No.5 jacket based on your recommendation and I was wondering…in comparison to the Malang, do you feel that this one is a little more "flimsy"? It doesn't seem to lie flat on me and kind of has a "ripply" look to it (not sure if I'm describing it well) vs I like the fact my Malang is stiff and holds its shape well.

Your opinion is appreciated!

-Jen

• Anonymous April 7, 2012 at 12:45 am

Hi, I have been trying to reach someone at Uniqueen via email and phone but have been unsuccessful. I got the No.5 jacket in small and it is too tight. My apartment complex only let me know that it came in yesterday and I checked the return/exchange policy. I guess I am meant to request for a return authorization number within 5 days. I am so sad about this as I can't enjoy this jacket and have not heard from customer service. Can you help please? If not, let me know if any of your blog followers want it for half the price.

Thanks

• jko April 7, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Anonymous–I have not heard from Uniqueen either! They replied to one of my emails and then never responded again. What color is your jacket? I may be interested if you are selling it for half the price.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 8, 2012 at 12:25 am

Hi Kitty, you should compare the length measurements to jackets that you already own. I know some women may be uncomfortable with the cropped length (I'm imagining it hitting above your waist) whereas some would be found of it.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 8, 2012 at 12:26 am

Hi Jen – I have the Malang with thinner lining which is just a tad bit thicker than this one. Do you have the Malang with quilted lining? Because if so, I can see how that is a lot stiffer. I haven't found this one to be too flimsy, however after I pulled the sparklies out of the white one too hastily, it is rippled now and not ideal. Not sure if that is the same situation as you described or if it's just thinner for your liking?

• PetiteAsianGirl April 8, 2012 at 12:28 am

I'm sorry that you guys have not been hearing back…it's frustrating when a company has slow customer service. Anon, you should try emailing them (I think it's on their site and they mentioned it here in the comments a few times). I believe they will honor a return if it's in perfectly new condition and if you explain what happened with the mail. I'd hate for you to have to lose so much money on it due to your apartment delaying it and Uniqueen not responding.

• Anonymous April 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

Hi Jko, I got exactly the one Jean has as shown on the blog (brown, it looks great). I will wait and see if I get a response this week, if not it will be yours.

Thanks Jean, for your response, it's sad that I might not be able to wear the jacket.

• Anonymous April 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Love the tweed jacket and leather leggings look! You look amazing!

• jko April 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

Ah, well the one I got is brown as well. Too bad. 🙁 I'm sure someone else will be interested. Good luck with the customer service…just sent them a fourth email and still haven't heard back. Keep us posted on what happens. The whole situation makes me not want to purchase from them again.

• Anonymous April 10, 2012 at 2:35 am

Hi, I just found your blog today. Great styling! Just had to comment against some of the rude people on here giving their opinions although nobody has asked them and nobody cares to hear any of it. You have amazing legs and perfect knees! Be confident girl!

• Anonymous April 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Jean, how accurate do you find the measurements on Uniqueen to be? I noticed the Malang jacket from your other post has a lot longer/bigger measurements on the website than even the M size No. 5, but the Malang size S still fits you. I am definitely bigger than you (5'4 and a little under 110lbs) and feel conflicted about what size to order for the No. 5!

• Anonymous April 10, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Anonymous, do you mind me asking how tall/what size you usually wear that the size small was too tight?

• Anonymous April 21, 2012 at 2:16 am

I recently purchased the UniQueen "The Coco" tweed jacket in black. It not only has sparklies on the trim but all over the jacket. I don't see any scattered sparklies on your tweed jacket so my question is… do the other colors NOT have sparklies all over them? Pls help.

• Anonymous April 21, 2012 at 2:21 am

I might be interested … Does it have sparklies all over the entire jacket (I'm not just talking about the trim)?

• Anonymous June 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This jacket is being sold on eBay currently for a great price – its too small for me unfortunately thought someone else might like it though:

• Anonymous July 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hi Jeans,

I love your jacket! I'm also interested in your 7 for All Mankind jeans. Will that jean fit you well, especially the length? Hope you can advise.

Many thanks

Amy

• Anonymous September 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I love this look. I love those leggings. Don't let anyone discourage from wearing what your want.

• Naomi September 24, 2012 at 4:41 am

Thanks so much for reviewing this! I caved in and bought it after seeing your stunning photos 🙂 See how I paired it here: http://petiteplayground.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/being-flippy.html

• Anonymous March 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Did you end up of paying custom/duty for it? Thanks!

• Evalrie Lin June 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

I went on uniqueen to try and buy this same jacket but cant checkout after i added to cart. There is literally no checkout button. I have tried it on multiple browsers. Is it just me being blind or an error on the site? Do you see it (or rather, not see it?)