DIY Dolman Sleeve Dress Transformation

Thank you all for your honest opinions on my last post. I liked both H&M; dresses but wasn’t in love with either. Your comments confirmed the features that were bugging me, and I didn’t want to keep something that wasn’t perfect! I ended up parting with the emerald (already have other items in that exact color), and taking matters into my own hands with the mint:

Drawing a pattern based on my bust and shoulder measurements:
mintdress

Chop chop!
mintdress1

“Click to Read More” to see how this turned out!

Voila! Strange kimono/dolman sleeve turned classic sleeve. I am now completely in love with this dress.mintdress2

Creating a “pattern” for the armholes and sleeves was unfortunately not easy. It took about 3 attempts to get right (with numerous photos from the side and back to identify fit issues). The ideal way to make good patterns is to cut apart a top that already fits well and to trace the pieces, but who has nice-fitting tops just lying around for dissecting?

For anyone who is interested in making this dress sleeveless, this is how it looked before I attached the sleeves. I thought it looked nice sleeveless, but because the dress is so slim and almost rectangular, I like the balance that sleeves add. With sleeves, I can also wear this dress to work and not worry about an additional layer.

mintdress3

Lastly, the author of PAB expressed interest in writing some guest posts during my blogging slowdown. If you have any questions for him or topics on which you’d be interested in hearing a male perspective, please leave us a comment below!

For Daily Posts

94 Comments

1. Ava Ray Adams wrote:

Do you show any step by step directions for how you measured and reworked the dolman sleeves into set-in sleeves?

Posted 5.29.22 Reply
  2. #059894 – It's in their "trend" department which is only in major stores, I think. Just call ahead and ask if your store carries trend. Good luck!

Posted 3.11.12 Reply
  3. Anonymous wrote:

do you have the code for this dress? I cant find it in my HM store

Posted 3.11.12 Reply
  4. gigiofca wrote:

You did an amazing job!

Posted 3.9.12 Reply
  5. The transformation on that dress looks incredible! I actually love it sleeveless but I understand you want more coverage for work. Great job!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Posted 3.1.12 Reply
  6. Jen wrote:

Really late in commenting, but you did a fantastic job with this! I'm so afraid to do alterations myself. This is very inspiring!

Posted 2.27.12 Reply
  7. Moo wrote:

Omg the dress looks wonderful now. my heart skipped a beat when i saw the chopped up pieces in the preview. haha but it turned out very nicely after your diy alterations. and I am so glad you didn't keep it sleeveless too :)) Thumbs upp!

Posted 2.20.12 Reply
  8. el.vi. wrote:

wow amazing sewing skills….looks so much better…I am not liking the "dolman" sleeves or shirts I keep seeing

Posted 2.19.12 Reply
  9. Ania wrote:

Wow, it's so great!!

Posted 2.19.12 Reply
  10. Monkey wrote:

I am SO impressed! Seriously, I thought there was no saving that mint dress from awkwardness but now I love it too! Completely fabulous on you.

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  11. I'm a complete gym novice…so pardon this crude explanation: I just do some sets each week with 5lb weights over the head and out to the side.

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  12. Denim alterations are really tough when the material is thick. I've broken several needles before on my sewing machine due to the thickness. There are some YouTube videos on altering/hemming denim, so check those out. I would personally take it to a tailor to do, especially if you want to maintain the original hem on the sleeves to keep the rugged/washed look.

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  13. How funny! I love the thought of the Oreo truffles as golden snitches : )

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  14. R.L. wrote:

Jean, you're so talented with DIY alterations! Love the finished look. I agree with hearing about PAB's food adventures and maybe even a "pairings" entry or vid either on his clothes or yours.

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  15. If the waistline were too low, I think the best approach with something like this dress would be to take it in along the shoulder line. That way you don't tamper with the waist line and the zipper. I've done that with blouses in the past. When I tried on this dress and pinched the shoulder up 1 inch, I felt the waist line was then too high. I wonder if the shoulder line alteration would work for your empire style dresses that are too low.

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  16. I use a simple older Brother machine, but it looks really similar to this model for $80

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  17. I use a simple older Brother machine, but it looks really similar to this model for $80

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  18. Anonymous wrote:

I second the request to hear about PAB's food adventures in the Boston area.

Posted 2.18.12 Reply
  19. Anonymous wrote:

I would love to learn about PAB's skin regime, my hubby's skin needs help and I don't think there's much resources on that. Thanks!

Christina

Posted 2.17.12 Reply
  20. Anonymous wrote:

What sewing machine do you use? I'm dying to start doing my own alterations, but I'm having trouble picking the right machine. Please help!

Posted 2.17.12 Reply
  21. Wow Jean, I saw you post on FB but only got a chance to view now, turned out great! You are BRAVE!!!

I'd love to hear photography and photoshoot stories of a day in the life of PAB following PAG around ๐Ÿ˜›

Posted 2.17.12 Reply
  22. Amy wrote:

Great decision to keep the mint dress, I really like the color and front pleat. And you've done a great job with the alterations!

Posted 2.17.12 Reply
  23. Alice wrote:

Wow, I am really impressed by your DIY alterations. I really need to learn how to sew. But how does one start with this task? lol

But on a dress like this, would you ever DIY dissect the dress at the waist line and then reattach the two pieces with the chest portion shorter? I feel like I've gotten dresses that fits, but they fit my body different than how the designer envisioned – like an empire waist dropping lower and changing the shape of the dress. I'm not sure if that would look better or worse, but I am curious how it would look in comparison.

Posted 2.17.12 Reply
  24. Anonymous wrote:

I would suggest trimming off a little from the bottom and wearing a belt to raise your waist line. This will elongate your legs. Just my 2 cents. very nice DIY!:)

Posted 2.17.12 Reply
  25. Erica wrote:

Wowza!! Incredibly impressive. Especially given that you are so busy! ๐Ÿ™‚ How did you fit in the time?

26. noniq wrote:

Wow you're awesome and it turned out to be even better ๐Ÿ™‚

27. Anonymous wrote:

wow amazing! it looks fantastic on you

28. Sarah wrote:

great job with the dress! im sure all the hard work was worth it to have something fit just right

Posted 2.16.12 Reply
  29. Jean you are so brave! I'm glad the DIY alterations worked out well for this dress – the fit looks so much better and gives it a classier feel. Good job!!

PS – Canada finally is having 20% off at H&M.; They didn't forget about us this time! ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Anonymous wrote:

I second the photography tips! I assume that he learned a lot of tricks on his own, but if he can also offer his top online resources and blog recommendations, that'd be appreciated.

31. ellabella wrote:

i want to hear about PAB's favorite eats in Boston!

32. Suzy wrote:

agreed! it looks even more amazing after the alterations ๐Ÿ™‚

33. Joy wrote:

I love how it looks sleeveless! But you're right about the sleeves being more appropriate and more hassle-free for work.

34. Tiffany wrote:

I actually just bought those two blouse today. I wasn't sure what color to get but since it's only $9.95 I decided to get both since I could wear it to work or for the weekend if I decide to dress up for a dinner or something. Love it.

35. SugarNikita wrote:

Very nicely done! I thought at first you WERE making it sleeveless, but I like it with the classic sleeves too. It's always a little frightening altering something without a pattern, isn't it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 2.16.12 Reply
  36. Gosh I need to learn how to work a sewing machine! Like you, I have issues with fit and learning how to alter my own garments would be a HUGE help. So glad you kept this one! I loved it the best!

-nico

37. Victoria wrote:

Wow you have skills!! I actually like the sleveless version on you too! I really hope PAB can do more posts, they were some of my favorites!

38. SamanthaF wrote:

ok. Now I'm sold ๐Ÿ™‚
    Happy studying.

cheers, Samantha

Posted 2.16.12 Reply
  39. I'm your new fan!! Please check out my blogs to at victoireannie.blogspot.com

40. Anonymous wrote:

Cant wait for PAB posts on Mens professional wardrobe! Picking the right shoes, proper fit for suit pants/jacket, good deals…but of course will miss you Jean! Just got a bit excited to share this blog with my man. Goodluck on the CFA!

41. Melanie wrote:

Oh wow, that dress looked so much better when got done with it.

Posted 2.16.12 Reply
  42. You are like a fashion wizard, lol! This dress turned out so good. Great job.

Posted 2.16.12 Reply
  43. obsessed too. can you do a pretty lookbook photoshoot so i can pin this? hm…did u ever put the price for this dress? i know it's a TREND line so I wouldn't be able to get it, unless I felt like driving over an hour, but just curious to know how much they're charging.

44. Great alterations!!! I'm glad you kept the mint ๐Ÿ™‚

You really have toned arms! What kind of workouts do you do to get them so toned??

-Trang

Get the newsletter!

What updates would you like?