Thank you everyone for your kind comments on my last post. I didn’t document the steps very well at all, but hopefully these photos help a little. I would say this project is simple enough for beginners who have a sewing machine. The tees were 100% cotton so I shrunk them before cutting or sewing. To prep, cut the second tee into three components: 1. A bottom piece to attach onto the first tee for some extra length (if the tee is too short to be a dress); 2. a rectangle piece (material is thin, so I double-layered it) for the ruffle bib, and 3. thin strip for the center of the ruffles (not pictured).
Optional – I wanted the center strip to “pop” so I wrapped white bias tape (thin pieces of fabric made just for piping and borders) along both edges. You can also use scrap strips of stiff white fabric.
After stitching both pieces of the rectangle together, I “assembled” the ruffle bib by folding it like an accordion. I eyeballed it and played around until it looked good. Baby brother Schuyler (pronounced sky-lar) was extremely interested.
Having no sewing pins, I could not figure out how to transport my meticulously folded rectangle to the sewing machine. “Real” seamstresses are probably rolling their eyes right now. I ended up using some of Schuyler’s chalk to mark up the areas that should be hidden by folds. I then sewed the folds down using a straight stitch down the center of the rectangle.
Final steps – adding the thin middle strip. To create bow-like ruffles, I bunched together two accordion pleats per center strip pleat, as shown, and tucked in the loose ends of the center strip. I stitched the strip onto the rectangle, and then hand-sewed the entire concoction onto the shirt.
All done! Or wait…not really. After trying on the dress I was horrified to find out that the ruffles were way too big. That’s what I get for not measuring or looking at the inspiration more carefully. I snipped inches off both sides of the rectangle, and re-sewed the double layers together. Refer back to this post for the end result.
I am feeling inspired to make more petite-friendly clothing. Please share any good DIY blogs or projects of your own in the comments : )