• Extra (Ap)petite: Easy Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup (recipe)

home cooking easy tomato soup dinner recipe

Style & Co tunic xsp (similar cute one in sz S/M), Zella live-in leggings xxs
    Le Creuset 3.5q dutch oven pot in white & gold (love!)

A home-cooked meal, to me, is one of the best expressions of love. I was lucky to have Mom’s cooking almost every night growing up (although I didn’t appreciate it enough back then!), and it’s a tradition I hope to carry on. Nick and I both love to cook, but when life gets busy, it’s one of the first things to fall to the wayside and get replaced with poor food decisions. One of our goals this year is to make home-cooked meals the norm instead of the occasional treat. And I’m always looking for ways to modify recipes to be a little healthier!

easy weeknight winter tomato soup recipe

I’ve been getting recipe requests whenever I post cooking snaps, so would love to share more of our favorite dishes on here! Today’s one-pot recipe is super easy (even for beginners), using ingredients most of us already have at home. And it’s oh-so-satisfying to warm up with on a cold day. I was never a big fan of tomato soup growing up, but Nick and I can’t get enough of this one. The addition of tortellini makes it hearty enough for a full meal, and the usual fattier heavy cream was not missed. We make a little extra to freeze for quick weeknight dinners!

quick and easy creamy tomato soupu recipe

Creamy Tomato Basil Tortellini Soup
    Serves approx. 4

Ingredients:
    – 1 28 oz can crushed or whole good tomatoes, or ~ 3.5 cups peeled, diced fresh tomatoes when in season. Can’t wait to try this with tomatoes from our garden in the summer!
    – 1 small yellow or white onion, chopped
    – 3 cloves garlic, chopped
    – 1 cup milk*
    – 2 cups (1 small can) low-sodium or homemade chicken broth (sub veggie if you’d like)
    – 1 package mini tortellini, fresh or frozen
    – 1 teaspoon sugar, more as needed
    – generous handful of fresh basil, chopped
    – salt and pepper to taste
    – olive oil for sautéing

* If you don’t eat dairy, I’ve seen recipes that use 2-3 slices of bread, cubed, mixed in right before blending to thicken the soup. A helpful reader also suggested using pureed white beans instead!

creamy tomato soup recipe saute onions

Step 1 – Sauté the garlic and onions in a little olive oil over low-medium heat until the onions begin to soften.

lower fat creamy tomato basil soup recipe

Step 2 – Stir in tomatoes (crushing them as you go), broth, milk and lower to a simmer – don’t let the milk boil heavily! Add sugar and continue simmering on low for at least 15 minutes. I had added some basil here, but prefer to add it all towards the end since fresh basil loses its flavor as it cooks.

best easy creamy tomato soup recipe le creuset

Step 3 – For a smooth soup, use an immersion blender at this point. I’m not big on having a lot of kitchen gadgets, but this is definitely one of my favorite and most-used tools (I have this set with the multiple attachments). If you don’t have a blender, crush your tomatoes to the best of your ability with the back of a large spoon, and simmer the soup for longer to let everything break down more.

cuisineart immersion blender le creuset white gold dutch oven

Step 4 – Add salt and pepper to taste – it doesn’t need much at all! Stir in basil and ravioli, and cook per the time indicated on the tortellini package until they’re just about done. Do not overcook otherwise you’ll have mushy tortellini! Al dente is fine, as everything tends to cook a bit more after you turn off the heat.

And that’s it! Serve garnished with any remaining basil.

easy quick creamy tomato tortellini recipe

Like with my past cooking posts, I don’t follow recipes too strictly and use them mostly as a guideline. The milk to broth to tomato ratio is something you can play around with depending on how brothy or creamy you like your soup. The amount of sugar here can also depend on how naturally sweet or acidic your batch of tomatoes are.

quick easy creamy tomato basil tortellini soup recipe

I hope you guys enjoy this soup as much as we do! Let us know if you give it a try!

49 thoughts on “Extra (Ap)petite: Easy Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup (recipe)

• Charmaine Ng | Architecture and Lifestyle Blog February 3, 2017 at 1:07 am

This looks perfect for a cold winter's night!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

• Jessica | Petite Style Script February 3, 2017 at 1:20 am

Hi Jean, thank you so much for sharing this recipe! And I love your last photo with "Extra Ap-Petite" so clever! I also grew up with my mom cooking nearly every night and do enjoy cooking as an adult but life can get a little busy! I'll definitely try making this soup soon 🙂

~Jessica

• Amy M February 3, 2017 at 3:21 am

Nothing beats a hearty homemade soup in the colder months ♥

Amy // Snippets of Amy

• Dressed With Soul February 3, 2017 at 3:30 am

The soup looks yummy and you super cute!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• MizEats February 3, 2017 at 3:33 am

I really enjoyed this post! Beautiful pics and great recipe! I always love your clothing posts, and it is nice when you surprise us with cooking or home-related posts as they are always spot on!

• Ewa Macherowska February 3, 2017 at 3:33 am
    • Anonymous February 3, 2017 at 3:43 am

Jean, I've been following you for 6 years and this is my first time commenting: I LOVE the "Extra APPetite" branding you've snuck into this! It made me chuckle in real life. I don't know how you do everything in your life with so much grace, kindness, and thoroughness, but I'm so glad it's paid off for you in order to keep pursuing the things you love.

• Miriam Elizabeth February 3, 2017 at 4:59 am

Oh my gosh, that looks delicious!! Need to try it out, I will give you a shoutout thihi!

X

• Neeltje | Thoughts in Style February 3, 2017 at 5:32 am

This looks delicious! X

• Unknown February 3, 2017 at 8:02 am

Love this! Another great option for thickening soups sans-dairy is to puree some white beans- extra protein and fiber bonus!

• Julie Hiller February 3, 2017 at 10:29 am

I'm liking this new recipe feature–great name, btw–and this soup looks delicious! Would love to see more!

Style by Joules

• Rachel February 3, 2017 at 10:31 am

This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

xoxo
      Rachel

• Anonymous February 3, 2017 at 10:43 am

Yaay! Thanks for sharing this before the weekend! I make a similar soup and love it. The only change I make is to add a half bag of pre-washed organic spinach a minute or so before taking it off the heat, then I grate some aged asiago on top and presto dinner… or lunch! (Studying for my CFP so these one-pot recipes are key…. and throwing spinach in lets me get in some extra green goodness!!) 🙂 – Gwen K.

• Sasa Zoe February 3, 2017 at 11:59 am
    • Kaitlin Schubert February 3, 2017 at 12:12 pm

This sounds amazing!

Katie | Willow and White

• Montrealaise February 3, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I'm going to make this soup sometime this weekend – my husband loves tomato soup and pasta, so it should be a big hit. If I may make one suggestion, based on my experience – you say the tomatoes can be either fresh or canned. At this time of year, all the tomatoes you'll find in the supermarket tend to be tasteless, so canned is the way to go (come summer, fresh tomatoes from your garden or a farmer's market will have lots of flavour). The best canned tomatoes are San Marzano, either from Italy or grown in California.

• orange blossom February 3, 2017 at 12:43 pm

That is an excellent tip!

• Jessica H February 3, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Such a cute sweater! I've seen some lace ups are a bit too bulky but this one is so streamlined, great find girl!

xo, jess

alljessedup.com

• Jean February 3, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Aw thank you! I always appreciate your comments!

• Jean February 3, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Hi there – that honestly means so much to me. Thank you so much for being a part of this all these years and for your kind words of encouragement. I can't take credit for the branding … Nick came up with it a while back along with a terrible tagline ("small clothes, big meals") that shall remain unused : )

• Jean February 3, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Thank you for a great tip! I do that to thicken up my bean soups and never thought of it for traditionally non-bean soups!

• Jean February 3, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Hi Gwen – Great tip for getting in more veggies! I'll have to try it soon. Good luck in the rest of your studying!

• Jean February 3, 2017 at 3:33 pm

You're totally right – it's like buying watermelon in the winter, which I'm always tempted by and give into and then immediately regret once I taste it…
      San Marzano are my favorite brand of canned tomatoes too, and work perfectly for this soup!

• Anonymous February 3, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Yum! Need to try this recipe❤

• francophilehic February 3, 2017 at 5:47 pm

Going to try this with the puréed white bean as a thickening agent!

• Caroline February 3, 2017 at 10:29 pm

the soup looks so good and easy to make! i'm also looking to cooking more this year. i look forward to more recipes on your blog!
      btw, the sweater looks so cute on you! i got one in cream, but it looked too big on me so i had to return it.

• Julia Mazzucato February 4, 2017 at 12:03 am

I love the clever title of this post- Extra Appetite!
      Julia・Little Miss Haute Couture

• Society Fix February 4, 2017 at 4:56 am

This is so great. Love your blog.

• yennie February 4, 2017 at 12:55 pm

I love this!!!! And second everything Anonymous said. The tagline is funny too 🙂

• Judy February 5, 2017 at 12:44 am

I love the linens in your post. Could you tell me where you found the red gingham napkins/towels and your black & white dishtowels?
      Thanks so much!

• mybeautrip February 5, 2017 at 11:24 am

This looks delicious!
      xx

• Judy February 5, 2017 at 4:49 pm

By the way, I am also going to try this soup recipe. It looks delicious.

• Stapha Charleme February 5, 2017 at 5:40 pm

This looks delicious!

• Mercy F February 5, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Great to see you creating a hearty meal in the kitchen. Love your lace-up jumper.

• Anonymous February 6, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Tell us about your electric oven range. What brand it is and do you like it or not?

• Anonymous February 7, 2017 at 12:40 am

Your recipe title, ingredient list, and photos say Tortellini but in Step 4 you write ravioli. Assuming these two kinds of stuffed pastas are interchangeable with your recipe but do you prefer one over the other?

• Samantha Sheinson February 7, 2017 at 9:17 am

Love this! Looks like a great meal for a cold day in NYC!
      xoxo
      Samantha

• Erin February 7, 2017 at 10:30 am

I love easy recipes like this! I'm 7 months pregnant now and on the hunt for easy meals to cook and freeze to eat post-baby. One tip I picked up from Mario Batali years ago is to add shredded carrots to tomato sauce instead of sugar. I'm assuming it would also work in soup!

• Jean February 7, 2017 at 2:49 pm

Hi Judy! The black & white ones were a gift from friends (I have seen very similar at Marshalls or TJ Maxx) and the gingham ones are from Target : )

• Jean February 7, 2017 at 2:52 pm

It's a slide-in electric range by Frigidaire and I really love it. We always had our heart set on a gas range, and were so bummed when we found out that wouldn't be possible in our current home! It took a while to find a good electric one that looks sleeker and doesn't have the traditional piece sticking up in the back.