Summer work style: lemon yellow + stripes

summer work outfit lemon print striped pencil skirt

Maison Jules lemon top xxs c/o, LOFT skirt, Yoox bag (similar), Ray-Ban sunglasses
Sole Society Anneke heels 5.5 (runs narrow), Baublebar necklace, H&M; blazer

This was one of my favorite outfits worn last month, comprised of some very old pieces updated with a fresh print! The combination of bright yellow plus two different patterns might be too much for some, so you can tone a top like this down with solid ankle pants (like in navy) and a white blazer for a more conservative but still summery outfit.
work outfit yellow blazer loft petites striped skirt
As mentioned in a past post, the print on this lemon top is oh-so-cute please note it runs big. It’s a swingy A-line shape and billowy, so size down if possible, or you could alter it by taking up the straps and slimming the sides. Two of my favorite details are the scallop hem bottom (which is hidden in this post), and the scalloped peephole on the upper back.
office outfit studed pumps anneke sole society
These Anneke heels are years old now but I still keep reaching for them for longer-term wear (please note they run narrow in the front! I had to get a new pair half size up). They’ve been brought back in this “adobe” nude, plus a host of colors. A few other low-to-mid heels in chic styles include the Lana pump (how pretty is that light blue suede?), the softly scalloped Coralie pump, and the Pia sandal in camel or gold.
work outfit lemon top loft petites striped skirt
LOFT brought back this old skirt last year but no luck yet for another re-appearance this year. The closest I’ve found is in a neutral color scheme from Ann Taylor, currently on sale. The reviews note it runs big, but I’m very particular about the fit of pencil skirts and usually get them tailored anyways to fit the way I like (as this one was).
business casual summer outfit petites blazer pencil skirt

31 thoughts on “Summer work style: lemon yellow + stripes

• Vera Sawicki June 2, 2016 at 11:57 pm

This outfit is adorable. Love it!!

Blonde in Cashmere

• Kblossoms June 3, 2016 at 12:10 am
  • Maria Abad June 3, 2016 at 12:55 am

The pop of yellow really bring out the top fun print, I have a similar jacket from H&M.; Ann Taylor Loft makes the best petite clothes. I still have a dress I bought 10 years ago and wear it often to the office.
    XO,
    Maria
    MariaOnPoint http://mariaonpoint.com/ | Find me on IG https://www.instagram.com/mariajabad/

• Dressed With Soul June 3, 2016 at 1:02 am

No wonder this super cute look was one of your favorites! Love the look, too <3 Yellow makes each outfit so bright :)
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Anonymous June 3, 2016 at 2:38 am
  • Trang Do June 3, 2016 at 2:49 am

Love your top!! You looks so beautiful!!
    Xoxo,
    Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Cheyanne Jordan June 3, 2016 at 8:45 am

I love the lemon print! (Really I like anything yellow!)
    Great pictures!
    -Cheyanne

• Rachel June 3, 2016 at 2:13 pm

such a lovely look! It really suits you 🙂

• Yessenia June 3, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Cute! I always have trouble with wearing cute prints bc I come off as a kid (I still wear them however haha). What is your overall opinion of Yoox? I ordered a pair of boots in the past that ended up being alright, but I've been hesitant to order more. Thank you in advance!

• mybeautrip June 3, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Love the mix of prints!
    xx

• Jen June 3, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I need to practice that top knot! Love the mix of bright and neutral colors.

Jen | affecionada

• Pauline June 3, 2016 at 7:31 pm

Love this! The print with stripes and bright pop, love it!! You look great in yellow. As a fellow Asian, do you have any tips on finding the right yellow hue?

• Yvonne Chau June 3, 2016 at 10:11 pm

Hi Jean,
    I have searched all over your blog but cannot seem to find a post regarding interview attire? I have an interview coming up and I plan to wear a skirt suit w/low heels but have no idea where to look for one that is best for petites. I would really love/appreciate a post or advice on this! I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask this either, I didn't know where to ask this question!

And of course, this outfit is incredibly adorable!

• Polly June 4, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Jean, I really enjoyed seeing your work style/professional wear in the past, but isn't it sort of disingenuous when your blog isn't really focused on that anymore? So many of your posts are about where you've gone on vacation and aren't really work-based at all.

• fabi Aguilar June 5, 2016 at 4:52 am

The back of this lemon shirt is AMAZING!!

• Alana June 5, 2016 at 6:52 am

I second Yvonne Chau's comment above: it'd be really good if you could share something regarding interview attire idea! I am attending some job search soon in recruitment fairs, so a post would be helpful and relevant – and I always love seeing how you would dress like, and what dressing tips you would give to workplace newbies like us.

Better yet – you could even write on how to style those black blazers and black pencil skirts for other uses, such that we can stretch their wear, even after the interview.

Thank you so much, and thank you for all the informative, well-thought and incredibly stylish posts all this time (:

• Ritu B June 5, 2016 at 8:06 am

Just love your style Jean… Loved the whole outfit idea 🙂

• Maggie Zemanek June 5, 2016 at 1:42 pm

This combo is perfection!! I love the back of that top so much!

• Deasy Noel June 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Such a cute and fun work attire. I like the playful print, and the bright yellow blazer.

• Extra Petite Blog June 5, 2016 at 10:00 pm

Hi Yvonne & Alana (below) – Interview attire really differs based on what industry (and even firm to firm within industries!) you're interviewing in. For the most conservative ones, a dark gray, navy, or black skirt or pant suit are usually a safe bet. These are typically sold as separates for mixing & matching, and available in petites at stores like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, or LOFT. H&M; also has separates in regular sizing only but runs small, so if it fits well for the most part, it could be worth paying for a basic hem or sleeve shortening. To answer Alana's question, you can easily wear a dark blazer with jeans and a tee after the fact (one of my favorite basic yet put-together outfits), and a solid pencil skirt can be paired in endless combos with printed tops and cardigans.

• Extra Petite Blog June 5, 2016 at 10:01 pm

They sell a lot of different brands so it's hard to know exactly how each one will fit, but I've only had positive experiences ordering from them. I like that those brands are not found everywhere and they do have a lot of options in smaller shoe sizes.

• Extra Petite Blog June 5, 2016 at 10:03 pm

Thanks! I don't have any tips other than to make sure the yellow is a different enough shade from your skin tone. I have trouble pulling off some mustard yellows with too much beige in it (making it close to my skin color) but find it easier to wear neons like this which have much more contrast.

• Extra Petite Blog June 5, 2016 at 10:04 pm

One of my favorite parts about writing a personal blog is being able to choose changing topics that are interesting & relevant to me over the years, be it travel, food, beauty, fashion, etc. I've had experience in several different work environments since I've started this blog, ranging from business formal, to fashion-forward, to somewhere very casual except for client meetings…and I enjoy wearing and writing about all of those types of looks. I post about topics that interest me and hope readers can take them for what they're worth, and adapt ideas they like to fit their own lifestyles.

• Silly Crazy Me June 6, 2016 at 11:12 am

I don't think I own anything yellow but it looks so pretty on you <3
    Love,
    Thays

• Anonymous June 6, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Jean –

Your blog is a standout. I love love love that you offer your honest opinions of size/cuts/quality of the items featured. Too often I come across blogs that are aesthetically pleasing and really nicely done to find out some of the items featured are poor fit/quality. While the outfits look extremely cute in photos, they simply do not hold up and stand the test of time.

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate and comment beyond the aesthetics!!!!

• Pauline June 6, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try and be more adventurous with those neons. My wardrobe tends to be mostly neutral, haha!

• Maggie Krol June 6, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Love the pop of color! Professional and trendy.
    Xoxo, Maggie

• Julia Mazzucato June 6, 2016 at 8:10 pm

I love lemon print! Maison Jules has such cute pieces, but their sizing is all over the place. I'm wearing a dress by them on my post today (also an xxs), and it fit true to size, but I ordered a top similar to this in xs and it fit like a medium.
    Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• Sophie Spiegelberger June 7, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I adore all the stripes and fruity print!
    I would love it if you stopped by! 🙂

• Judy Brador June 9, 2016 at 11:33 am

I don't think i saw it but where is the link for the blazer?

• Sophie Stewart June 13, 2016 at 6:06 am