• mint + stripes // how to re-style an outfit with subtle changes

banana republic petites spring outfit mint dress striped shirt

This was one of my favorite outfits from our trip last month, and I’ve already re-styled each piece several ways since! I’m a little behind on posts here and on social – between prepping for a new job and an international trip next week (and realizing with alarm that my passport just expired), it’s been a bit hectic!
    bike ride outfit charleston mint green skirt navy stripes shirt
    This outfit, comprised of two classic pieces from Banana Republic, is an example of how small tweaks in styling can switch up a look. The dress by itself is on the semi-formal side, pretty for a weekend brunch or garden party. You can dress it up further with a statement necklace, heels, and a wrap worn around the shoulders for events like a spring wedding. Alternatively, with a lightweight button-down knotted over it, a cross-body bag and a pair of low sandals as shown here, the look becomes a little more effortless and casual for an afternoon around town. Last but not least, try layering the button-down underneath the dress instead and topping it off with an optional blazer (shown below) for business wear.
    mint green dress spring garden party wedding outfit
    I’m wearing both pieces in my usual sizes – 00p for the dress and xxsp for the shirt without any alterations. The dress is made of a stretchy, ponte-like material and is fully lined with pockets and an invisible back zip. The fit is pretty snug on me throughout the torso however layering is still comfortable given how lightweight the shirt is. I’m surprised to read that several reviewers thought it was too flared – it’s not a full flare at all but a swingier subtle flare that I thought was really flattering!
    classic outfit banana republic petites spring fashion

And here’s the aforementioned styling idea with the shirt underneath instead of over:

styling a dress button up shirt blazer work outfit

Banana Republic dress + shirt, H&M; blazer, Manolo Blahnik pumps, Talbots belt

Thank you Banana Republic for partnering on this post!

28 thoughts on “mint + stripes // how to re-style an outfit with subtle changes

• Dressed With Soul April 14, 2016 at 2:30 am

Your outfit is perfect and I love it so much how you are wearing the striped blouse together with the mint dress <3
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Raspberry Jam April 14, 2016 at 2:54 am

Love the shirt!

Raspberry Jam

• ChocolateFashionCoffee April 14, 2016 at 4:07 am

Love this outfit and the pictures are amazing!

ChocolateFashionCoffee
      ChocolateFashionCoffee Facebook Page

• prudence yeo April 14, 2016 at 4:51 am

Such a pretty skirt and the color is perfect for Spring!

Prudence

• Julie Hiller April 14, 2016 at 10:56 am

I just love that dress styled with the button down knotted over the top. Definitely pinning for inspo–I have so many dress I could restyle like this!

Lifestyle by Joules

• nonnapuffo April 14, 2016 at 12:42 pm

It's a great lovely look.
      My favorite is the second way
      I love your style and your blog.
      Visit mine if you want
      many kisses

• angelina April 14, 2016 at 1:14 pm

What a gorgeous dress! I love all the different ways you styled it, it's definitely more realistic than most style bloggers (: And the fact that it has pockets is amazing!

Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

• Leah April 14, 2016 at 1:14 pm

You look wonderful! You have given me so much inspiration as a petite girl to wear things I never thought I could. The length and fit of that dress really flatter you, and you don't even have to be wearing high heels to achieve that. I also agree with you that I don't think it is too flared, it looks swingy, springy and fun. THANK YOU for all you do!

Also, thank you for tweeting at me earlier this week! It made my day 🙂

– Leah

• Jenn April 14, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I really love seeing people play around with pieces to find new ways to wear them! I am always trying to get the most use out of my clothes…otherwise it seems like such a waste.

a small bit | bloglovin | twitter | latest post

• E Craig April 14, 2016 at 2:10 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

• LanellClaire April 14, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Hi Jean,
      I'm a long time reader, but first time commenter.
      I totally understand the rush and excitement of a new job and travel, I am currently in a similar predicament. I am moving, changing jobs, and headed to Hawaii in a few short months and life is hectic!
      I just wanted to say, I love your style!
      AND that there is an app you might be interested in for scheduling your social media posts. It's called UNUM and its free. It lets you set up posts and then you can schedule them when you want them to post. It is a total life saver for someone of your blogging star power. Plus, it has fun features and filters.
      Sorry if I come off as a commercial… ☺️ I just thought it would be something you be interested in.

• Maggie Zemanek April 14, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Great post!! Love all the looks 🙂

• Julia Mazzucato April 14, 2016 at 8:47 pm

You always find so many different ways to style a piece! I love the version under the tied striped blouse, and this photo location is stunning!
      Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture

• Unknown April 14, 2016 at 9:06 pm

I just wanted to say thank you so much! I am super petite (though also curvy), at 4'11. I hadn't figured out why I hated shopping so much these days, but then after mulling it over I decided it's because there is nothing out there for short women and if there is – it's most likely not going to fit me properly anyway since I have a big butt. I am thinking of delving into the alterations world now. I'm scared of investing so much into my wardrobe, but I do love fashion and I love love love your blog. You look great!!

Sabrina

• Bela Anzu April 14, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Congratulations on your new job Jean! I'm happy for you and hope everything goes well.

I like how this mint flared dress fits and looks on you and am glad to hear it's lined. The colour looks the same as that pencil mint green dress you blogged about a few years ago.

For the sandals, I only recently looked into Talbot's shoes even though you've mentioned how well made they were for quite some time. I love this year's Trulli Ankle Strap Sandals and am now eyeing a second pair. I wish I had looked into Talbot's shoes earlier because I love the style you are wearing in this post. Thank you for writing such thorough reviews so that we have a better idea on what to purchase online.

• Anonymous April 14, 2016 at 9:36 pm

It's the other way around. Jean posted this look on Instagram last month. And well, a copycat will always be a copycat.

• Jean April 14, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Hi E! I removed your comment just to minimize any further back and forth on this topic. Everything I wear & post is my own style. I work hard on each post and don't like to replicate others…I hope that comes through to readers!

• Diana April 14, 2016 at 10:56 pm

Love that bag! Where is it from? 🙂

Diana | http://www.thechicdiary.com

• Rachel April 15, 2016 at 5:29 am

Perfect combo! you look so pretty!

• Julies Dresscode April 15, 2016 at 5:51 am

Great idea to style the dress and shirt in several ways. Like all of them and think I have to get a mint dress too 🙂
      All the best from Germany,
      Julie

• Joyce Pak April 15, 2016 at 10:14 am

All your outfits are really cute and a great way to change things up easily!

Characters & Carry-ons

• VerbalGoldBlog April 15, 2016 at 10:45 am

Love love love your style! I'm actually obsessed with your outfit

• Anonymous April 16, 2016 at 2:01 am

So sweet. …don't know why i came here looking for edge tho; back to sartorialist…

• Minau April 19, 2016 at 10:36 am

Beautiful look!

• Anonymous April 20, 2016 at 10:25 am

Hi Jean! I know you mentioned that the dress was a bit snug. I bought the same dress and in the same size as you and feel the same way too. I was just wondering if you were able to try 0P to see if there is a difference. I am trying to think if I should exchange it or not.

• Alayne Langford May 15, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I love Banana Republic and your outfits along with the photos are stunning!

• Unknown May 16, 2016 at 9:57 am

Jean, did you find the sunglasses to slip off your nose?

• Linna July 5, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I love the way you styled the mint dress!!! Looks great on you – I ended up buying it from BR.com!