• Cool blue + camel // Burberry Daylesmoore wool trench coat

burberry daylesmoore wool camel coat boston outfit

Burberry coat sz 2 (also sold here), sleeves shortened & belt loops raised
    Articles of Society jeans (hemmed), Lou & Gray top (similar), H&M; scarf (similar)
    Ray-Ban sunglasses, LT gloves (fits small!) Sole Society boots (similar), Coach bag

It was a frigid and windy one this weekend! I wore this triple-layered pairing of many old favorites for running errands. We got in just a few snaps before Nick’s hands almost froze off – any good recommendations for photographer-friendly winter gloves? striped white jeans ray ban blue mirrored aviators winter outfit
    I first tried on this Burberry Daylesmoore coat (also referred to as their funnel-neck wool cashmere trench) in size 2 in 2013, then did a more detailed review in a size 0 last winter. I finally purchased it this winter after not having found a camel coat I loved more after all this time. I wanted to answer more of your questions on this coat, and also show why I chose the size 2.
    striped sweatshirt lou gray petites casual outfit
    Having tried on three years’ versions of this coat, I feel like sizing has shifted to be a little slimmer over time. If you look at my 2013 post in a size 2, the coat was noticeably baggy, although I was wearing a lighter cardigan. This winter when I went coat shopping, I wore my faux leather moto jacket which I like to layer under winter coats on the coldest days. The weight was also a good representation of a thicker blazer or sweater. Please note all fitting room photos below are with this jacket on underneath!

Here is the size 0 – please excuse wrinkles as they had brought this right from storage:

burberry daylesmoore winter coat petite women review 0
    Burberry Daylesmoore coat sz 0, Stuart Weitzman Lowland boots c/o (review

Compared to sizing on American brands, I feel the Burberry Brit line runs at least one full size small. I’m typically a 00p / xxsp in American retailers, and the size US0 coat here was very fitted on me without my extra layer. I really loved the snug feeling, until I looked at the 360 deg. pictures. As you can see in the pics above, with the extra layer on there are noticeable signs of bulging on me both at the front buttons as well as the back torso vent. I did love the narrow fit in the shoulders of this size, though.

Here is the size US 2 in comparison:

Burberry brit wool cashsmere trench coat petite women review 2
    The shoulders were not as fitted on me, but the entire coat was more comfortable throughout. After reviewing these photos it was clear to me which size to get. I had my usual alterations done of shortening the sleeves and raising the belt loops. The sleeves were not super long on me and the belt loops were only about .5 to 1 inch low, so those even a little taller than me (I’m 5 feet) may not need any alterations!

Coat try-on tips: definitely try on outerwear with an additional layer, representative of what you’d typically wear on a cold day. Also, have someone else take photos of you in the coat from the front, side, and back so that you can take a closer look from all angles! This lets me see fit issues, like pulling across the back, which I’d miss otherwise.camel coat stripes white jeans winter outfit
    I haven’t found any super similar options for less, but here are two other camel coats that do come in extended petite sizing:
    – ASOS long funnel-neck coat, starting in 00p (likely fits like 000p)! In my experience their sizing runs small (I usually wear 0 or 2P there) and their coats are on the lighter-weight side.
    J.Crew zip Melton coat, starting in 00p in three neutral colors.

61 thoughts on “Cool blue + camel // Burberry Daylesmoore wool trench coat

• Maggie Zemanek January 19, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for the review of the coat!! I've been eyeing a Burberry Brit coat and wasn't sure what size to order.

• Sasa Zoe January 19, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Great info! Love your trench coat<3

Shall We Sasa

• Dressed With Soul January 19, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I like it how you are wearing the classy coat with the striped sweater and white jeans! Simply perfect for the weather you had πŸ™‚
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Minau January 19, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Great look! Love these colors!

• Liz | Shopping My Closet January 19, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Love this winter look!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• MsLinhVo January 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm
    • Poshnessary com January 19, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Love this outfit!! Looks really good

Kisses from http://www.poshnessary.com ❀

• Jessica January 19, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Hi Jean, thank you for the post! Are you still wearing the bump-it in your recent posts or just teasing the top of your hair? It looks awesome and I have been trying out styles to wear my hair up but they never look as good as yours!

• Anonymous January 19, 2016 at 1:50 pm
    • Angela January 19, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Love the wool camel coats– such a classic in the wardrobe! A nice coat can last a long time, and investing in a highest quality one can comfortably afford (or save up for a true splurge!) can make running out the door in in blustery weather a breeze (pun intended!). I find quality wool pill less with less wrinkles, which is why I'd rather save up. πŸ™‚

• Stephanie January 19, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Hi Jean, I've been meaning to ask you for the longest time, but could you please do a ponytail/bun tutorial? I love your hair here and in the previous post. When I try to style my hair up, the top of my head just ends up looking super flat and unflattering. I also can't make a bun to save my life. πŸ™ Thank you!

• Caitlyn Hampton January 19, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Cute outfit! You always look so chic. I'm curious, could you post your recommendations of your favorite black blazers for petites? I want something modern that I can wear with jeans or slacks, to work or to go out to happy hour. There are so many options it can feel so overwhelming!

xo, Caitlyn

• Julie Hiller January 19, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I love that coat on you, and the pop of bright blue with the sunglasses is really striking a beautiful. Great look!

Lifestyle by Joules

• Anonymous January 19, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Hi Jean! This coat is absolutely lovely on you! πŸ™‚ I also have the coat but have found that my normal size fits perfectly except for in the bust area, where it's way too tight and doesn't button (I'm petite and busty); I sized up but everywhere else is too large now! In your experience, is Burberry willing to tailor the shoulder area? I'm also located in Boston, so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Hi Jessica! Neither bumpit nor teasing actually, I just get really tight elastics and then after securing the ponytail, I pull some of the hair at the crown back out so that it poofs!

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I haven't seen that color this year anywhere, unfortunately!

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Hi Stephanie! Here's a previous voluminous pony tutorial: http://www.extrapetite.com/2015/06/easy-formal-hairstyle-tutorials-from.html

It's hard to explain but I pull the top part back out after securing the ponytail. I'll try to do a video sometime and for the bun too!

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Hi Caitlyn, I'm not sure what your budget is but my black blazers are all from Theory. They have several cuts so it's best to try on in-person. THey don't make petites so I did have to have the sleeves shortened. From petite lines, I think one in a lightweight wool material from either Banana or Ann Taylor would be your best bet!

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Hi there – unfortunately in my experience they will not. Shoulders are a very complicated (& pricey) alteration, not something I'd want just any tailor to work with either on a nicer coat. One possible option suggested to me before is to move the buttons over on a smaller size, but that can only be done minimally and it would be slightly asymmetrical.

• Stephanie January 19, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Yay thanks Jean!

• Miss Cheska January 19, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Hey Jean! I'm hoping you and your readers can help me and my teacher friends out with some fashion advice. I know you're in Boston so can relate with the crazy cold and messy winters. As a middle school teacher in upstate NY, I'm getting frustrated with my limited wardrobe options. It's hard to dress professionally, practically, and warmly during these winters! My old blouse/cardigan/pencil skirt or trousers ensembles aren't cutting it anymore with the cold. Flats and pumps are out of the question, too cold and they get destroyed with the slush tracked in the hallways. It's always hard not to feel frumpy, or like a Michelin Tire mascot with all the layers. Can you recommend some ways to still feel and look fashionable and warm? Thanks! πŸ™‚

• Shanique King January 19, 2016 at 8:51 pm

I love this coat. 2016 I want to break into more structured coats haha. Great post!

• Linda Tran January 19, 2016 at 9:01 pm

The outfit looks amazing! Also, thanks for the review! It was really helpful!

• Vicky January 19, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Hi Jean, the coat looks lovely on you. Coincidentally I ordered this exact coat this morning from Saks since they are running a discount code right now. Expiring midnight tonight. Code JAN16 will take $275 off $1000 purchase. Figured I'd give it a try. I also bought the rushfield to try last month. Love the coat very much but still questions if it's too long on me. Cross my fingers and hope this coat will work out.

• Anonymous January 19, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Hi Jean – where is your white blouse from? Thanks!

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Hello! Is it very cold indoors at school too? Maybe try fleece-lined tights with knee or calf-high flat boots paired with A-lined skirts and your favorite blouses tucked in. Do you follow mix & match fashion? She is a teacher too and posts lots of cute outfits, although not in as cold as a climate but you can add tights to a lot of her pairings.

• Vera January 19, 2016 at 9:32 pm

What an amazing look. You look beautiful.

Blonde in Cashmere

• Jean January 19, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Wow, lucky you! Burberry is listed as excluded but this shows it never hurts to try a promo code!

• Paige Ma January 19, 2016 at 10:06 pm

The coat is gorgeous! I am daydreaming about someday owning a Burberry coat, and your reviews are very helpful. We are in frigid Minnesota (currently enjoying -40 degree with windchill), and I love these running touchscreen gloves: http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:249471/sku:NRGC4020/nike-element-thermal-2.0-run-gloves-womens/black/anthracite/&SID;=7726&inceptor;=1&cm;_mmc=SEM-_-PLA-_-Google-_-nrgc4020&gclid;=CIPyxMWzt8oCFQMMaQodmuQCSw. They are very streamlined and lightweight, but really keep my hands warm. If it gets really cold I layer under these gloves: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-200-fleece-insulated-ez-touch-gloves/id_289580?sku_0=::F18. They are a lot bulkier, but very warm.

• Kstylick January 19, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on GFC?

Please leave a comment on our blog!

You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

we will follow you back! XOXO

Korean Fashion

• Vicky January 19, 2016 at 10:41 pm

Really? Oh well, good that didn't have the patience to read the fine prints. πŸ™‚

• Trang Do January 20, 2016 at 2:12 am

You look great! Nice review!! Love your glasses!!
      Xoxo,
      Love from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Caitlyn Hampton January 20, 2016 at 8:29 am

Thanks, Jean! Just googled Theory and wow, those are beautiful… just a bit out of price range (hehe)! But something to strive for!

I'll have to keep an eye out at BR and AT. Thanks so much!

• carmitive January 20, 2016 at 11:03 am

I love this combo! A camel coat for winter is just a must πŸ™‚ You paired it perfectly.
      xx, Carmen

• Carolin from GetMarvelous January 20, 2016 at 11:07 am

Beautiful outfit! Love your coat! A Burberry coat is def on my wish list!

Xx Carolin

• Anonymous January 20, 2016 at 11:54 am

Another beautiful ensemble! Do you have a link for the white shirt you are wearing under the sweatshirt? thanks!

• Akansha January 20, 2016 at 2:41 pm

One day I'll buy a Burberry coat. One day. Maybe when I actually live somewhere cold (aka NOT California).

Much love,
      Akansha

• mybeautrip January 20, 2016 at 4:07 pm

In love with your camel coat!
      xx

• tiffanie t January 21, 2016 at 9:17 am

Hi Jean! I know this isn't on your post but you posted this gorgeous swimming suit on snap chat and I really wanted that same exact one last weekend. Can you let me know where you got it?

Thanks,
      Tiffanie

• Julia Mazzucato January 21, 2016 at 9:29 am

I love this classic coat! Thanks for your in-depth review, and for adding two other alternatives. My Burberry coat has lasted me through the seasons, but it's time for a new one, and I think I might go for the J. Crew style!
      Julia // Little Miss Haute Couture