Boots with the fur

kate spade coat cedar street harmony bag

Cole Haan Marina boots (30% off w/ FRIENDS30), Nars lipcolor in “shanghai express”

As much as I like my bright colors, sometimes an all-neutral palette can feel the most classic. For the second half of my collaboration with Kate Spade New York, I styled this taupe and black pairing for the oncoming chilly season. I find the easiest way to elevate neutrals is with elements of texture, such as a luxe faux-fur collar, satiny bow tie, or tall suede boots.
kate spade bow shirtdress
I’ve been wearing this convertible handbag (6 colors; previously reviewed in this post) often and a few ladies on social media asked if the pink one would be limited to spring/summer wear. I actually think light pink can be very cross-seasonal and love it in cooler seasons paired with neutrals like taupe, camel and grey!

kate spade cedar street harmony bag
I also mentioned in my last post that Kate Spade’s sizing can be rather petite-friendly. My bow-back dress from there in size 00 was a snug fit with no alterations needed, and I’ve also tried on several more that fit similarly. Just look for styles that are more fit and flare and where the waistline looks like it hits a little higher up on the model.

For more straight-cut pieces like the ones I chose for this post, I found the shoulders to fit in a size 00 with the sleeves requiring shortening, typical of regular sizing. For this woodland plaid bow shirtdress I used my favorite trick of tying a skinny belt around the waist and folding a few inches of material over the belt. This essentially creates a blouson waistline and also adjusts the length of the overall piece to your liking based on how much material you fold over. You can wear a dress like this to work with pumps and then “shorten” it for a night out.
kate spade coat
The weight of this wool-blend coat is very heavy and the details and finishing remind me of the quality of my Burberry ones. The only alteration here was to shorten the sleeves by 2 inches. I also love some of their iconic bow-collared coats that I saw in-store but not yet online.
kate spade coat over the knee boots

Thank you to Kate Spade New York for partnering on this post!

35 thoughts on “Boots with the fur

• Dorigamii October 7, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I LOVE your boots! I've been looking for some suede thigh high boots, but with a wedge heel. You look great Jean!

• Dressed With Soul October 7, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I really must say I like you both in casual and also in such elegant looks you wear here. You styled the precious looking coat with the fantastic boots and the elegant dress simply perfect and again your hair looks like a dream! You are definitely ready for fall πŸ™‚
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Sasa Zoe October 7, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Love the KS outfit especially the coat! So pretty and great color! <3

Shall We Sasa

• Jessica October 7, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Boots this tall often don't look classy, but you've pulled it off beautifully here. Love the neutral palate. Very winter chic!

• Bela Anzu October 7, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Love this neutral outfit you put together and how the buttons on the shirt-dress echo the larger buttons of the coat. An alternative post title could be "Puss in Boots"!

• Tonya L October 7, 2015 at 3:42 pm

The bag is so dainty, I love it!

• Liz | Shopping My Closet October 7, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Love the boots!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• prettypetite.org October 7, 2015 at 6:20 pm

That dress is beautiful!! I also use the folding-over-belt- trick, it's amazing when you have a shapeless piece.
    I love the thigh high boots they are the perfect statement piece.

Xo
    Pauline

• Yvonne October 7, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Hi Jean,

I have been looking at these Cole Haan boots you have on here for a while! I really love the way this boot looks on slimmer legs, but it's pricey! So I'm wondering how comfortable the stiletto heel is and how high the heel hits at a size 5? I've read through your review post of this boot and didn't see any of these topics addressed. I'm sorry if I'm asking something you've already answered! Thanks πŸ™‚

• Maggie Zemanek October 7, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Love this! You should do a post on petite-friendly OTK boots (maybe some that aren't $500?)

• Phyllis Lee October 7, 2015 at 10:44 pm

You look so gorgeous, Jean! It reminds me of Blair Waldorf a little bit πŸ™‚

Phyllis | http://www.prettypleese.com

• Kstylick October 7, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on GFC?

Please leave a comment on our blog!

You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

we will follow you back! XOXO

Korean Fashion

• Fashion Petite October 7, 2015 at 11:51 pm

I'm in love with your boots!!!!
    xoxo Lynda

• Diane Hoang October 8, 2015 at 12:55 am

Your coat is gorgeous! It's such a preppy outfit!

xx, Diane || http://www.dizined.com

• Vanessa Nguyen October 8, 2015 at 1:09 am

You look amazing! You are definitely pulling off those over-the-knee boots πŸ˜‰

xo

nessngyn.blogspot.com

• Unknown October 8, 2015 at 3:32 am

Love your boots and the way you are dressed up..You bag is even more beautiful
    At last I can say very nice blog!!! Love to have more from you

• Trang Do October 8, 2015 at 4:00 am

Love your boots!! Great outfit!!
    Love,
    Kisses and hugs from http://www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

• Anonymous October 8, 2015 at 6:41 am

I love the little bag. Got it in the black with pebble!

• Anonymous October 8, 2015 at 8:33 am

Hi Jean, great petite-friendly picks, as always! This question is quite off-topic, but I have the BaubleBar Grendel necklace and noticed that you wears yours much higher up than it naturally falls, which I would prefer. I tried hooking it on one of the regular links to shorten the chain, but the clasp got stuck very badly and almost broke when I was ready to undo it, so I won't be doing that again. Please let me know how you shorten yours to wear it higher up! Thank you so much!

• xoxolaurabelle October 8, 2015 at 10:42 am

Stunning outfit – so classy πŸ™‚ Especially the boots and the purse are to die for! Just discovered your blog and I love it πŸ™‚
    xo Laura

• Julie Hiller October 8, 2015 at 10:52 am

Lovely winter look! I agree that light pink is an all season color.

lifestyle by joules

• Carol October 8, 2015 at 11:38 am

Gorgeous as always!

• tellmeyblog.com October 8, 2015 at 9:21 pm

That shirt dress and that fur coat are PERFECT!

xx
    Yvonne

• Jean October 11, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Good one! : )

• Jean October 11, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Hi Yvonne! Stiletto heels are not meant for all day wear but i think these are comfortable given what they are. The heel is 3.25" on my size 5 which helps make them more manageable compared to higher ones.

• Jean October 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Hi Maggie – I've seen Ivanka Trump makes some that are under $200, however they fit a little less slim and are faux suede. The other OTK boots I've found that are less expensive are usually also fabric and not leather or suede, so just something to note while shopping depending on what you prefer.

• Jean October 11, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Hi there – I actually just hook it to one of the regular links and haven't had any issues! Just make sure to have the clasp open completely at the widest point when taking it off (when taking it off, turn the necklace around so the clasp is in the front and use a mirror if necessary)

• Yvonne Chau October 11, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Maggie – try checking out Hinge's Canton OTKs:

They're not real leather so they're affordable but they look/feel great! I'm about 5' tall and I find them very petite friendly. They won't lend you that skin tight look that all these lovely more expensive boots do, but are still snug. Unfortunately it looks like sizes under 7 now sold out.

• Sahar Fallah October 13, 2015 at 4:22 am

your taste in clothes is awesome and adorable! as a petite i always look for inspiration from your looks …but most of times they are way expensive for our budget ..i suggest you to have a new section or post about budget outfits or closet …:)

• Anonymous October 16, 2015 at 6:42 am

Wonderful boots – I want'em, too πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ A perfect combination again. <3

• Karalyn Rae October 18, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Do you ever have a hard time finding tall boots? Because my legs are so short, I'm afraid to wear anything taller than ankle boots πŸ™ Love your style.

Karalyn
    timeforcouture.blogspot.com

• Dorene Greene October 25, 2015 at 7:59 am

Hello, I was wondering if you liked the Cole Haan Marina over the knee boot better than the Stewart Weitzman Highland it looks like the Highland is taller. I can't find the Cole Haan Marina at Nordstrom's anymore. Thank you,

• inner_phoenix October 30, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Hi there! Im so glad to have found your blog…i have a terribly sad sense of style and Im also under 5'0. Ive recently put on some pounds but unfortunately it only goes to my stomach so the rest of me is still pretty scrawny. I was wondering where do you buy your boots? I can never find any that fit my knee and calves.

I love your style and im getting so many tips already from your helpful blog. Thanks!

• Nahoula March 3, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I'm late to the party, I just got this dress in 6pm. Can you please show us an example of belts we could use with these shirt dresses? Thanks!