Ann Taylor dotted shirt + swingy striped skirt

Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit4Ann Taylor embroidered shirt, Chicwish skirt sz XS (shortened – pls read review)
Steve Madden sandals, Saint Laurent wallet on chain (in light rose/pink), Hermes belt

I love my share of drapey blouses, but sometimes nothing feels more classic than a crisp white button-up. There’s so many options on the market today in slim fits and with feminine details – a far cry from the masculine, boxy shirts that haunted me when I first started working.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit1
I went into Ann Taylor recently looking for a tipped shirt, but ended up finding this cute dotted one instead. You can’t tell in the photos, but all of the dots are embroidered rather than printed, which is a nice touch of quality. The fabric is 97% cotton, 3% spandex which is also a pleasant surprise in today’s world of synthetic materials.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit2
These Steve Madden “Stecy” heels are my new favorite sandals, but are not for prolonged standing/walking given the heel height and strappy-ness. I have a detailed review in the works about how these compare to a few other similar styles I tried, but wanted to share before small sizes were gone. I’m wearing the blush patent in size 5.5, and would say they run true to size with a pretty narrow footbed. A close contender for me was the Vince Camuto “Court” sandal in beige which was more walkable/comfortable, but alas I wanted something higher with thinner straps.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit5
I also have a review coming up about this Saint Laurent wallet on chain (so many color options!) – a new buddy for my beloved Chanel one. Some of you may have seen a slightly different version of this bag on my Instagram – long story short, that one was in calfskin and upon closer inspection, was shipped to me with several scratches on it already. I sadly realized the material would be too high-maintenance for my lifestyle, so I exchanged it for a version in durable caviar leather which I’m now in love with.
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit

View from the back:
Ann Taylor dot shirt stripe skirt outfit3 FYI, I took this shirt in size 00 petite with no alterations needed. Ann Taylor has an entire line of button-ups titled “perfect shirts” that come in petites, which should fit consistently. This one also looks cute with ripped jeans for the weekend, or a basic pencil skirt pairing for more conservative offices:Ann Taylor dot shirt office outfit

80 thoughts on “Ann Taylor dotted shirt + swingy striped skirt

• Fun Fashion Mix April 12, 2015 at 11:38 pm

I'm sacred to wear flared skirt. I'm petite too.
    But looks good on you! 🙂

• Ella Pretty Blog April 12, 2015 at 11:52 pm

I love this caviar Wallet on a Chain even more than the one you posted on Instagram (although that one was beautiful too!). I find that I REALLY have to reduce what I'm carrying with my Chanel WOCs – this one seems a lot roomier – I can't wait to read your review on it!

MY BLOG: ♥♥♥ Ella Pretty ♥♥♥

• Dorigamii April 12, 2015 at 11:56 pm

I like how you mixed patterns here! Stripe and polka dot and the polka dot and leopard.

x Dori

• Mandy Ho April 13, 2015 at 12:26 am

This outfit is so lovely!
    Would you happen to have any recommendations for white buttons ups? I've been searching for one that doesn't look too formal or stiff but have had no luck 🙁

• Sasa Zoe April 13, 2015 at 12:51 am

Pretty skirt indeed!

Shall We Sasa

• Diana April 13, 2015 at 1:31 am

Love the mix of stripes and dots! Great look.
    || D I A N A ||

• JTC April 13, 2015 at 1:45 am

I really love the flared skirt! It looks beautiful with the polka dots!

Joyce
    b-w-validation.com

• Helen's Collection Statement Jewelry April 13, 2015 at 2:53 am

Love the flared skirt! So cute and elegant!

statement necklaces:
    FREE US Shipping

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 7:47 am

Hi, great picks but just wanted to let you know that the coupon TOPS40 has already expired!

• Paola April 13, 2015 at 8:10 am

Your shirt is so chic!

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 8:52 am

Oh bummer! Thanks for letting me know!

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 8:53 am

Hi Mandy – are you looking for a solid white button up? What's your budget and size?

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 9:16 am

How do you tuck your shirt so it stays in? Mine always tend to ride up after awhile and balloon out.

• Daniela DT April 13, 2015 at 9:18 am

I love how you paired two different patterns for a perfect look! The fit of the dotted shirt is great and the shape of that skirt is beautiful.
    xx Daniela / Fashion Shower Blog

• Shira April 13, 2015 at 10:18 am

This look is gorgeous and I love the way you got the skirt to move like that for the photos! What's your secret?? 🙂

• Easy, Frugal Style April 13, 2015 at 10:29 am

I love the outfit! And thanks for the review on the shirts! I've been scared to buy one because I wasn't sure how they'd fit.

Easy, Frugal Style

• r8d6g April 13, 2015 at 10:36 am

I love the pattern mixing!

• Jeany R. April 13, 2015 at 10:59 am

amazing outfit, so in love with the print mix and especially with your skirt! So beautiful and lovely! <3

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 11:13 am

I just bought some stuff on Ann Taylor today and besides paying for the steep shipping they already charge I just realized they also change a shipping tax on top of shipping (in addition to usual sales tax on clothing)!! I hadn't noticed this before! But suffice to say I am not buying stuff online on Ann Taylor anymore but it just seems wrong to charge tax on shipping cost!

Jean, what's your take? Did you notice this in your confirmation emails from them.

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 11:48 am

Love your nail polish color! What color are you wearing?

• coffeeslag April 13, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Even though my style is more all black punk rocker, I love how feminine your outfits are. Especially that dotted shirt! I'd pair it with skinny black leather pants and heels.

coffeeslag

coffeeslag: workout gear

• Liz | Shopping My Closet April 13, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Such a cute skirt!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• Kathryn Akhtar-Khavari April 13, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I love this look! Between my spring-induced obsession with black and white, and the fact that as I teacher button ups and full skirts feel like a part of my uniform – this is perfect!

Kate
    Myteacherstyle.blogspot.com

• tailoredandtrue April 13, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Super cute look! I love the dotted top it's such a nice variation on a classic!

• Aleksandra Ivanko-Deel April 13, 2015 at 3:17 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Lovely combinations again – so stylish 🙂 and shoes 🙂 🙂 Wishes from Finland –Anu

• Minau April 13, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Amazing look!!! Love it so much!

• Mai Lowe April 13, 2015 at 4:45 pm

LOVE the bag Jean. And the whole look. I was worried the new saint laurent monogram would look too flashy but it looks amazing on you. Also, this bag looks huge! much much bigger than the chanel WOC – is that true? Maybe you can also include a word or two about the monogram flap bag that you featured (in grey) on instragram recently for the MK bag you bought? Thank you Jean!!

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I want to let everyone know that not all sale style qualify for the flash sales (current now) extra 60% off. I call customer service , they said because some styles sale fast (like the dotted blouse you wear in post ) and they don't qualify but they don't let you know until after you select the item and it is in your bag. I realize this because some of my items automatically went down for the extra 60% and some stay the same. I am so disappointed at Ann Taylor for doing this, I don't think it is nice of them to do that . Anyway, thanks for sharing the finds Jean

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Yes it is quite a bit roomier! It can even fit a pair of sunglasses in side … love it : )

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Not any real secret, but a mix of the below: 1) I sometimes tuck it into my underwear for more secureness 2) each time I go to the restroom I give it a good tuck, and 3) i haven't tried this personally, but there are shirt clips that can also clip to your underwear…not sure how comfy that'd be though!

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Hi Shira – no secret other than just moving around quickly and looking a little crazy on my neighborhood street : )

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:52 pm

It's unfortunate but it's a state policy…about half the states in the US right now require that businesses charge tax on shipping for online orders. They collect it from the businesses – the businesses themselves are not making any profit on it (or at least, certainly should not be!).

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Thanks! It's Essie Fiji

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Yes it can hold almost double what a Chanel WOC does : ) The monogram flap bag I thought was gorgeous but personally, I prefer tote satchels for toting more stuff and then smaller crossbody/convertible bags for other everyday occasions. This was just based on how little wear I saw my Chanel classic flaps get compared to the WOC or my Prada satchel. It's a beautiful bag for the right person!

• Jean April 13, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Hi there – I'm sorry for any confusion on my part, but the dotted blouse I'm wearing is a newer arrival and not a sale item. I posted a few items in my second paragraph that are part of today's flash sale, but the blouse I'm actually wearing is not…it was on sale this weekend during a tops promotion, but that has ended. I'll post again when it's included in a new sale!

• Michelle Lu April 13, 2015 at 8:03 pm

What a gorgeous outfit! That skirt looks fantastic on you and I love the swing in the pics!

• Mandy Ho April 13, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Hi Jean
    Thanks for the speedy reply!
    Yes, I'm looking for a solid white one. Not sure if I should go for something chiffon or more cotton-like, though. I always seem to have trouble keeping chiffon blouses from bunching out of my skirt : (
    I'm aiming for something under $60 but if it fits well I'm kind of flexible with my budget.
    I'm 5'0 and generally wear size 0 or xs. Not sure if this will be a good reference but the gingham button down shirt from jcrew factory in xxs fits me really well.

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Wow, tell us how you navigated on those uneven, brick road. 🙂 Seriously, love the dotted shirt you are wearing. I love AT perfect shirts!

• Anonymous April 13, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Jean! You might be right. Shipping fee is a service after all so they might be required to collect taxes. I wish they combined shipping for Ann Taylor and LOFT stores so I could buy from both and pay shipping once just are Gap, ON & BR.

On a side note, I would love to get your opinion on The Limited clothing. In the past few years I have noticed that I always start my shopping at AT or LOFT but end up buying stuff from The Limited. Their selection might not be as vast as AT or LOFT but I believe each of their pieces are more classic & make better wardrobe staples and I would say quality is much better than LOFT and almost at par with AT. Btw, they carry petite sizes now as well and their regular sizes are not as huge as AT/LOFT.