• Home for the Holidays

taupe coat duffel bag

Cassidy weekender bag + Cadena heels thanks to Sole Society, J.Crew Coat, BR shirt, Ann Taylor cropped sweater and necklace, J.Brand jeans, 12mm pearl earrings (similar)

I’ve been dressing very formulaic lately and this patterned dress shirt + cropped cable sweater pairing has been on heavy rotation. It’s a foolproof layered look for work (see my IG pic) worn with BR ankle pants, and works equally well outside the office with skinny jeans.

jcrew lady day coat petites

December has been a month of short trips. For packing, I’ve been liking the classic casual look of this Sole Society Cassidy weekender bag in addition to my usual large tote (either a Longchamp or the Goyard St. Louis). It’s also packed up and coming with me to CA where my family and Nick’s will be spending our first Christmas all together! I first saw the Cassidy on the stylish Juley T’s Instagram and had to find out where it was from. I would personally love to find a leather weekender bag down the road, but the pebbled faux-leather material here feels durable and is also a good option for shoppers who prefer vegan materials.

taupe coat duffel bag 2

I read some complaints about the size being too small, but for fellow light packers I can fit ~2 pairs of shoes, 2 outfits, PJs and toiletries with a little room to spare. The inside is fully lined in a herringbone/chevron print fabric, with a large zippered pockets and two smaller insert pockets. The Cassidy is about 10″ x 17″ wide, and has a larger sister Lacie at 15″ x 19.” Both have a removable luggage tag, and removable and adjustable shoulder strap with a reinforcement patch so that a thin strap doesn’t dig into your shoulders. I only wish that for a travel bag, the Cassidy would come with metal feet on the bottom (which I just noticed the larger Lacie does have!).

sole society duffle tote

You guys know I’m a big fan of ankle straps on shoes – these Cadena heels reminded me of my beloved J.Crew gold strappy heels but in suede, and the neutral color keeps the strap from being truncating on shorter legs. The style looks sleek on the foot and the suede is good quality in my opinion. Most of my Sole Society heels run small or narrow, but these in my usual size 5 felt true to size and the width was comfy with plenty of room for the toes. The Portobello color is a pretty grey taupe, very similar to my coat here in “cobblestone” if you’re familiar with that shade.

taupe coat duffel bag 1

Thank you to Sole Society for sponsoring this post!

Wishing all of you happy holidays, and safe travels if you’ll be on the road!

63 thoughts on “Home for the Holidays

• Anonymous December 23, 2014 at 1:27 am

Jean,

Do you wear hats in winter? I live in NYC. I can't go outside without a scarf and a hat. I would love to wear the way you do but I could be able to do it only when the weather is warm.
      The problem with a hat is that it makes my hair very messy after a while. Any quick redo advice?
      Also I am amazed that you could wear shoes in barefoot. I always wear socks in winter which makes me wear only boots no heels in winter. 🙁

• Dressed with soul December 23, 2014 at 1:34 am

I understand that you wore this cable sweater and shirt a lot lately as you look so beautiful, clean and fresh in them. Also your weekender is a beautiful piece. Wish you Merry Christmas!
      xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
      International Giveaway: Christmas Surprise with Self Interest

• Sasa Zoe December 23, 2014 at 2:15 am

Cute bag! Great for traveling:)

Shall We Sasa

• Diana December 23, 2014 at 4:29 am

Lovely look, your bag is divine!

~~~Diana~~~

• prudence yeo December 23, 2014 at 5:15 am

Love the classic design of the bag and the shoes are very pretty! Beautiful layered outfit too!

Prudence

• Bogi RedReticule December 23, 2014 at 6:26 am

Perfect layering and that coat is so chic! Wishing you happy holidays!
      Red Reticule

• Colleen December 23, 2014 at 7:16 am

I love that weekender! It's a lot more classy than the Pink duffle I carry around. Be careful with those heels on the cobblestones!

COOCOO FOR COCO

• Susan Maliff December 23, 2014 at 8:25 am

I love the weekender bag!
      I purchased a similar bag a couple years ago, that I use for small trips/light packing. Like your bag, mine also didn't come with feet. I ordered some online for a few dollars and added them myself. Super easy to put on and they give the faux leather of my bag some added protection!

• Paola December 23, 2014 at 8:47 am

Perfect look, I love your necklace

• THEDASHINGRIDER December 23, 2014 at 9:34 am

You look great! Love the bag:)
      x Fiona THEDASHINGRIDER.com

• Vintage Lady December 23, 2014 at 9:44 am

Love the shoes and bag combination. Additionally, your hair looks great!!!!!

• Pastirmaci Oya December 23, 2014 at 9:44 am

Hi Jean. this is Oya. you look great:) I have a question. how do you fold up the sleeves of shirt and sweater togerter. mines lenght are the same and I get thick result. not look nice :(( what do you recommend me ?

• Cindy Khor December 23, 2014 at 9:56 am

I love the layered Ann Taylor necklace. It just manage to transform any simple outfit to a more classy and chic one. It totally brightens up the greyish tone of the outfit. Gonna check them out now.

I love the coat too. Very structured and well trimmed. I guess trenches nowadays hit the mark by giving them a more formal cutting. Thumbs up.

HINTS OF PEPPERMINT

• One Stiletto At A Time December 23, 2014 at 10:44 am

I adore the layering of this look!

XoXo One Stiletto At A Time

• Anonymous December 23, 2014 at 10:54 am

How come in the pics online, the lining of the bag is just brown?

• Anonymous December 23, 2014 at 11:15 am

hi, i love your outfit and looks, I wish I can do it too. But winter in NYC is just too cold for wear someting like that, especially I have to wear boots to make me wear. Do you have any advise for me>?

• annie lee December 23, 2014 at 11:17 am

wow.. i swear you and wendy resemble each other a lot!

• Julia December 23, 2014 at 11:29 am

Love the neutral colors for the holiday! I just styled a completely neutral color outfit last night as well to a holiday event. I personally don't own many bright red, green or gold pieces in my closet. But when putting them together with statement accessories such as scarf or jewelries, they certainly look equally as cozy and festive.

Julia || Closet de Jules
      Recent Post: Holiday Neutral Sweater Inspiration

• Gigi Katz December 23, 2014 at 12:03 pm

love this look! especially the shoes! xx. gigi. http://www.gigikkitchen.com

• Jean December 23, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi there – I don't wear winter knit hats because I have really bad dry and static hair that is beyond hope after taking off a hat…but I love earmuffs! They keep the ears toasty and only affect a small part of your hair so it doesn't get too messed up. if you really want to wear hats then the only suggestion I have is keeping a clothes dryer sheet in your purse to help keep static hair at bay after taking the hat off.

• Jean December 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Oh, I never thought about doing that! Thank you for the tip! Did you super glue them on, or are there metal spikes like grommets?

• Jean December 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Hi Oya! Here I have a sweater with sleeves that are only 3/4 lengths, so they hit shorter than my shirt sleeves. It helps a little for less bulk at the same exact place.

• Jean December 23, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Thank you for pointing that out…very odd! The Cassidy interior pictures were different a month ago when I ordered and it looks like they added a new color, so must have changed the lining fabric color. It looks like the same pocket structure still though. That's too bad as I liked the printed lining.

• Jean December 23, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I love ankle booties..have you tried flat booties with your skinny jeans? If you can take a slight heel, I love the Bp Trolley ankle boots I post about often which keep both the feet and ankles enclosed.

• Liz | Shopping My Closet December 23, 2014 at 1:06 pm

If it's not broke….this dressing formula is great!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com

• Anonymous December 23, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Love your look! I like the way you combine some classic item like this Jcrew coat with casual pieces like the cropped sweater and skinny jeans.It's just so chic! Happy holidays!

• Anonymous December 23, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Hi Jean, do you know if Sole Society quality is consistent. I really want to get the Cadena heels, but the reviews on their website either rave or complain about the quality… Thank you!

• classiccosmopolite December 23, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I love this bag! So cute!
      The colors in this outfit are perfection. Definitely need to find a collared shirt like that

• Anonymous December 23, 2014 at 4:57 pm

What gloves are you wearing in this post? Would love any tips you have for getting leather gloves that fit petite fingers!

• Suzie Q December 23, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Love the gray elements of this outfit with the coat and shoes! Have a wonderful holiday trip to California and escaping the cold for a bit!! 🙂

xo, Suzie Q

StyleCueBySuzieQ.com

• A Golden Tulip December 23, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Love that coat…its fits you perfectly… love the styling with those shoes and the bag looks great..

xo
      Hems

• tellmeyblog.com December 23, 2014 at 7:31 pm

The bag is very cute. I would have been dying to find out where it was from too. 😛 Although I would prefer it to be real leather as well, just a personal preference.

xx
      Yvonne

• Elle C. December 23, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I love this outfit – you look so well put together!

• andrea December 24, 2014 at 3:10 am

Love this outfit Jean! It's the perfect timeless outfit…perfection! Have a Merry Christmas!

xoxo,
      Andrea

• Anonymous December 24, 2014 at 5:13 am

Hi Jean,
      Thank you for your wonderful blog, which I enjoy reading regularly. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts on capsule wardrobes. If so, would you consider putting one together for those of your readers who love your style but would like to try streamlining their wardrobe? Or perhaps highlight items you believe would a good starting point for such a capsule wardrobe?
      Thank you and happy holidays!
      Meena

• Anonymous December 24, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hi Jean. Have you done a review on this coat (or any other winter coats)? I am curious if you have ever found a coat that didn't need alterations? Every winter coat I have tried on has been gigantic on me (I am 4'10" and about 90lbs). Thanks for all the great posts. Merry Christmas Eve! -Jessica

• Anonymous December 24, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Hi Jean! What do you think of the LV duffle bags? I think they would be easier to carry (lightweight) compared to real leather bags. Thoughts?

• Elizabeth Lee December 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm

very chic traveling outfit! love the duffle and layered necklaces. 🙂
      love, liz

• SarahV December 25, 2014 at 12:07 am

Merry Christmas! Love the outfit. I do have a question for you. Do you buy J.Brand Petite Jeans, or regular sizing and get alterations? I have found that the knee bend is in a terrible spot for my legs with the regular sizing and looks awful when I put them on. Any suggestions? Thank you.

• Yi Lu December 25, 2014 at 10:00 am

Dear Jean,
      Love your style very much.May I ask your size of J.Crew?I like the coat and can`t decide my size( (I am 5'3" and about 116lbs)).Thank you so much.Merry Christmas~~