• Video – How to improve basic outfits: floral top edition

I was snapping some photos for my next wardrobe staples post and felt motivated to get back on YouTube! It’s been a whopping two years since I’ve uploaded a new video, but I’ve gotten many requests from ladies who are just starting to build up their wardrobes. Frankly I find it a bit awkward yapping away into my camcorder, but I suppose it’s good to push myself out of my comfort zone once in a while : )

Outfit details:
    Intro – Loft ruffle dress (old), Ann Taylor necklace, Loft floral top
    beforeafter_floral_skirt
    Work outfit “before” – J.Crew cardigan, H&M; skirt, Ann Taylor pumps (all old)
    Work outfit “after” Modcloth cardigan, thrifted skirt, Kate Spade pumps, Ann Taylor tote and clutch (old), Sole Society heels (review)

beforeafter_floral_shorts
    Casual outfit “before” – A&F; jorts, old navy flops
    Casual outfit “after” – H&M; shorts (old), Talbots sandals c/o (review), Sole Society reversible tote c/o (review), Ann Taylor belt (old), Old Navy outlet hat

69 thoughts on “Video – How to improve basic outfits: floral top edition

• Ariana Röthlisberger August 8, 2014 at 2:00 am

I love those kind of articles – they help me soooo much! The difference (especially in the work outfit) is amazing. And you are as cute in the video as you are on the pictures 🙂

• Heidi's Wanderings August 8, 2014 at 2:01 am

The outfits are so cute. I really like the first set of pics. And the video is great.

• Dressed with soul August 8, 2014 at 2:16 am

Step out of the comfort zone in my opinion is not only regarding outfit combinations a good decision 🙂 Nevertheless I love your updated outfits <3

• Vickai! August 8, 2014 at 3:24 am

Jean-ius! Love how you break it all down. Am totally guilty of the "rectangular" work outfit. =

• Carol from Petite Style Online August 8, 2014 at 3:36 am

It's great to see you back on youtube! Thanks for sharing your great tips 🙂

• Angie J. August 8, 2014 at 4:31 am

very informative! love the finished outfits (although I think the raggedy shorts didn't look that bad!) and you are so cute Jean 😀

• Paula Walsh August 8, 2014 at 4:40 am

Loved this Jean and looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Claudia Regen August 8, 2014 at 5:19 am

So helpful, thank you!

• TaraMixandMatch August 8, 2014 at 6:36 am

Love seeing your videos, looking forward to more 🙂

• jannyisms August 8, 2014 at 7:05 am

This is a great tutorial. I never thought to break up an outfit into the three simple components you described but it totally makes sense. I'm absolutely guilty of the rectangular silhouette thing. I usually focus so much on covering/hiding areas instead of highlighting and flattering the whole figure. This is a helpful reminder to reframe my perspective. Thanks for creating this video!

• Olivia August 8, 2014 at 9:08 am

I loved the video!! 🙂 thank you for the tips as I learn to update my wardrobe to a more grown up look!

• Shelly August 8, 2014 at 10:18 am

Totally loved this video, it definitely helped in giving more details about the changes in outfits 🙂 – welcome back to YT! Thanks for the tips – can't wait to give it a try!

• Sasa Zoe August 8, 2014 at 10:25 am

$15 dollars? These are awesome pairing!Love to see more videos:) XO

• Joyce August 8, 2014 at 10:27 am

I'm so glad you're making videos again!

• Florence August 8, 2014 at 11:16 am

Love it!

• Juliana @ Veste Básica August 8, 2014 at 11:18 am

I loved the video! Só informative. I felt that I really learned something! Will be sharing this on my own blog. Thank you and keep'em comin'! Beijos!

• Raven August 8, 2014 at 11:31 am

I love this video. You introduced some great tips and was very informative. The outfits are like seeing a girl transform into a woman. Thank you for inspiring my next work outfit!

• the Florkens August 8, 2014 at 11:39 am

This! I love this. I think this is where I struggle.. I find something is the "good" but I never know how to just bump it up to that next level and make it "great." I like the idea of putting thought each day into Color, Silhouette, and Details. I definitely need more "detail" pieces in my wardrobe, along with much fun colors and patterns like that Loft top. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to put these tips into action!

-Kate

• maryeb August 8, 2014 at 11:46 am

I am so glad you decided to make videos again. You do a great job of describing all the detailed elements that go into creating a great outfit in general, but especially for us fellow petites. Thanks, Jean! I'm looking forward to your next video.

• Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I love these type of posts and I love the video. It's amazing what a few changes can do to an outfit and thank you so much for sharing your tips with us!

• Temi Truly August 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Great post! Love the 1st transformation!!!

❤ Temi Truly
      New Blog Post: July Lust List

• Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Thanks so much! It was really helpful for me that you spelled out so many principles behind your decisions: color, silhouette, detail, as well as making sure patterns are of different scale when you mix them. Thanks so much!

• Liz | Shopping My Closet August 8, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Great video!

Liz @ ShoppingMyCloset.com
      Come by! Weekly Style Me Wednesday fashion blog link-up

• Li August 8, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Great video! I have a floral top from J.Crew that I love. I Usually wear it with a skirt, but I may try something new!

Li (simplyli.com)

• nisprihtime August 8, 2014 at 2:07 pm

A well-fitted cardigan makes all the difference! Only recently realized how tired my selection was – a cropped version goes a long way!

brownandintown.blogspot.ca

• beautylanparty August 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Your new place looks perfect for filming! So much sunlight! 🙂 Loved the looks as usual – would not have expected less. Enjoy your weekend!

• Arianne @ Glitter Geek August 8, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I love this!! So great for those of us who have a bit more trouble putting together a desk-to-dinner outfits. I love the changes in the first outfit. They really make all the difference!

• andrea August 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

You did such a good job on this video Jean! I realized I need to invest in a cropped cardigan to wear with my pencil skirts this fall!

xoxo,
      Andrea

• Caroline August 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm

awesome! thanks jean! I love your videos – keep 'em coming! you may be petite, but you have great, big personality which shows more easily on video 🙂

• rodelma lopez August 8, 2014 at 7:30 pm

love the before and after look jean… great posts

• Allison August 8, 2014 at 7:40 pm

You are so cute. Love this!

• Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 9:00 pm

This is so helpful! Recent stress has led to me going to work in easy, bland, boxy outfits. I feel so much better when I look cute. Your instructions make it feel really easy to make outfit upgrades 🙂

• Angela August 8, 2014 at 9:05 pm

This was awesome! I hope you make more posts /videos like this in the future. I am about to start work after university and so I am just starting to build my work wardrobe. Your blog has been super helpful! Thank you so much!

Question for you: when would I wear a normal length cardigan then? With trousers? For reference I am 5'1. You would not believe how incredibly hard it seems to be to find cropped cardigans right now. Maybe my luck will improve come fall/winter.

• A Golden Tulip August 8, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Love this video, the three steps are so versatile and this vedeo really helps in understanding each in detail and with examples. Your style is amazing.

xo

• Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Awesome video! I loved your outfit combinations. Your blog posts are always a style inspiration to me. Also, congratulations on your engagement! Best of wishes! 🙂

• Anonymous August 8, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Very informative! Thank you so much for posting videos again. I feel like dumping all my clothes and rebuild a whole new wardrobe…

• Miss Hot Couture August 8, 2014 at 11:51 pm

What a cute video! This may be slightly off topic but I really enjoyed your makeup and hair tutorials before!

• ladysarahinlondon August 9, 2014 at 6:38 am

You are very clever! Amazing transformation, proving good fit is everything.

• Koffee Pause August 9, 2014 at 8:25 am

What a lovely video, Jean. I love how you explain things, it's so clear and straight to the point. I'm looking forward to watching your next videos 🙂

• Amanda S August 9, 2014 at 9:44 am

This was wonderful! Please keep the videos coming!

One question, where is the necklace from during the intro to the video?