Cream + Cobalt (and Mansur Gavriel small tote)

cream coat mansur gavriel tote1H&M; coat (3 colors – wearing sz 2), Talbots sweater c/o, thrifted blouse
Mansur Gavriel small tote c/o, J.Crew heels,

This pairing helped bridge the gap between the cheery colors I’ve been dreaming of, and the bleak winter scene outside my window. The cream coat looks fresh against basic black, and will serve as a great neutral for wearing with bright hues in the spring. It also comes in navy and a pale pink color that I would’ve loved to try on (unfortunately none at my local store). The material of the coat is lightweight and nothing to write home about, but I was happy with the classic cut and good fit (measurements at the end of this post). I haven’t been able to find a jacket like this elsewhere that wouldn’t require extensive tailoring. In these pics sleeves are folded up 2”, which will be the only easy alteration needed.
mansur gavriel tote
I’m always on the lookout for everyday bags to review across a variety of price points. For those seeking structured yet minimalistic, business-friendly leather bags < $500, I love the tote or bucket bag options from Mansur Gavriel. The brand offers “simple, elegant” leather goods designed in NYC and made in Italy. Pictured here is their small leather tote in black with royal blue interior.
cream coat mansur gavriel tote
I first heard about this brand last summer when founders Rachel and Floriana (two friends from LA and Berlin who met by chance and started designing – how neat is that?) reached out. They sent me this tote from their spring line and I’m already hooked. The current collection comes in three exterior color choices – black, cammello (medium tan), or brandy (rich medium brown), with interiors in either a smooth, colorful resin coating or raw hide. cream coat mansur gavriel tote2
Leather and lining: The vegetable-tanned leather arrives smooth and on the stiffer side, and develops a weathered look with increased wear. The resin interior coating is also very smooth. A note from their website: “Italian vegetable tanned leather is a classic leather that shows its wear beautifully over time. This leather will not remain pristine and sleek. It is completely natrual, meaning it is naked – with no synthetic top finishes. The color will darken, the surface will change, and exposure to water will create spots. This patina created by daily wear-and-tear will fade and evolve over time.”

This type of leather isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I’m a fan just as I am with vintage Coach leathers and LV vachetta leather. You can see my bag surface already starting to develop character in the photo above.
cream coat mansur gavriel tote3 Sizing: Based on the measurements I was worried the small tote would be too wide, but it turned out to be very petite-friendly in size as well as lightweight. I now feel even the large size would not look terribly overwhelming on someone my height (see it on Blair). The small fits my 14″ work laptop, snacks, a pair of flats, makeup bag and more. I used to be less receptive to open, zipper-less totes, but realized it’s less of an issue with a removable pouch for holding valuables. I wear the straps both hand-held and over the shoulder, but will warn that the strap drop length of the small size tote may not fit comfortably so for everyone.

Measurements of S tote (comes with zippered pouch): 16.5″ length, 9.5″ height, 4″ depth. I realized this tote sounds wider than it looks because there are no side panels – only a front and back panel which the measurements are taken off of. The visual width is actually only 13″ across. Strap drop is 7.5.” Removable zip pouch is 8″ x 5.5.”

On my wishlist: soft pink mini bucket bag from Fall 2014 collection (image source):
mansurgavriel
For more info on color options and where to order, Fashionista has an informative post here. mansur gavriel tote1

Additional details on this H&M; coat: fully lined, two functional side pockets. Mostly straight cut with an ever so slight cocoon shape. Concealed zipper front closure with one snap button at the top collar.

Measurements of a size 2 – 13″ across shoulders including slight padding, 16″ armpit to armpit, 18.5″ across bottom, 31.5″ total length, 23.5″ sleeve length, 5.5″ sleeve width.

Material content – 63% poly, 32% viscose, 5% elastane.

58 thoughts on “Cream + Cobalt (and Mansur Gavriel small tote)

• Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 12:56 am

Looove this outfit…!I was eyeing the h&m; coat.Do you think pale pink would be easy to pair?

Shenu

• Carelia Moran March 18, 2014 at 1:02 am

I love the touches of blue and of course your beautiful hair. Gorgeous look.
    xo
    Carelia

"Triple Denim" Blog post on:
    MYSMALLWARDROBE.COM

• Jean March 18, 2014 at 1:02 am

Hi Shenu – I don't own much of that color but am really loving it this year. I think you can do a lot with it for spring/summer with cream, a bolder red, purple, orange, or prints like floral, stripes, or leopard. It's the perfect price point for a coat in a more fun color : )

• Mei Fleming March 18, 2014 at 1:18 am

So chic! Love this classy color combo. And I love the roses…great touch.

NEW POST up…

xoxo

• EM March 18, 2014 at 1:26 am

I love your shirt and your coat! It's so classy!

• Christine de Leon March 18, 2014 at 1:47 am

love MGs for their simplicity but I wonder what all the fuss is about. this outfit is great!

from – The Lion's Den

• Petite-ish March 18, 2014 at 2:10 am

As always, a perfectly polished look and so beautifully photographed! Also love the plum lip on you!

• Georgina Russell March 18, 2014 at 2:21 am

Beautiful colour combination, I love the cream coat.

• Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 2:28 am

Thanks for the reply.. I'm loving the color too! I already bought a top in that color. I'll try the coat. So thankful that the nearest H&M; is just a 10 minutes walk from my home 😉

• Cua Wendy Muas March 18, 2014 at 2:46 am

The coat, the colors … elegant.

• Anya March 18, 2014 at 3:03 am

Love the complete look. what pouch are you using with the tote?

• Yvonne Laura March 18, 2014 at 3:09 am

Stunning! Love all the details!

• Dressed with soul March 18, 2014 at 3:42 am

I would have also loved to buy the pale pink coat but unfortunately it´s sold out in the German online shop. Instead I will buy now the cream colored coat because you look great in it 🙂

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• k come karolina March 18, 2014 at 4:16 am

this looks so cool!!

xoxo from rome
    K.
    kcomekarolina.com

• Kateřina Šilerová March 18, 2014 at 4:22 am

Wonderful look, love this combination. Mansur Gavriel is on my wishlist too!

missbagaholic.blogspot.com

• Melanie TheTiaFox March 18, 2014 at 7:49 am

You look beautiful! The cream coat is gorgeous against the dark black and blue hues.

• sarahp March 18, 2014 at 9:44 am

love that coat but couldn't decide what size fits me. I wear jcrew in size 2 or xs.

• sarahp March 18, 2014 at 9:49 am

Does the material of the coat look ok? I went to a h&m; store this past weekend and didn't see this jacket at all. A lot of items in the store has poor quality.

• Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 10:53 am

Your nail polish is the perfect finishing detail! What color is it?

• Jenny @ Prim New Englander March 18, 2014 at 11:13 am

You are a whiz with color pairing, Jean. I'm in love with your smarts!

Jenny

• Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 11:44 am

what about your jeans? I'm 5'0 and have been looking for a good pair of skinny black jeans for a long time.

• Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 11:45 am

I bought the white one too and I love it so much that I want to buy the pale pink one. However the pale pink one in the store is really a bright pink. I'm not sure if they really have a pale pink one or it's just the computer.

• snippetswithalex.com March 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

You are absolutely gorgeous! Love how you styled this outfit!
    -Alex of http://snippetswithalex.com

• Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 12:33 pm

You looked very elegant in this outfit! I love that cream color coat. Does it run true to size? Did you purchase the usual size?

• Elaine Atkins March 18, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I tried that coat on and was about to get the Navy but decided against it. I'm on a shopping ban and only trying to shop with existing gift cards – so be proud of my restraint 😉

• lalala March 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Hey Jean! Long time follower here and I love your style. Was wondering how is the quality of that H&M; coat? It looks gorgeous btw and as a student, I can afford it (yay). But the last H&M; coat I bought started threading in 3 months so that was a bit disappointing. Would love to hear how you're finding this coat and whether it's worth the buy!

• Marie March 18, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Beautiful, elegant and stylish as always. You are a genius at pairing, say, a thrifted blouse, a pyjama top or a child's sweater with an outfit and making it look chic. Love your posts – very inspiring for a petite person in the UK! Also love how you mix high-end with inexpensive pieces – I think you'd recognise quite a few things now residing in my closet…

• jenessasheffield.com March 18, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Oh my goodness so elegant, great color combo. You are gorgeous!

• Orange You Classy March 18, 2014 at 5:14 pm

i love your coat and bag!

xo, Liz

• Anne March 18, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Love this ensemble! Interesting, without being too much and BEAUTIFUL color combination!

Cheers,
    Anne

• jannyisms March 18, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Love the coat. I have it in navy and used the clothing donation discount. I was tempted to get the cream color, but ultimately decided against it because I'm messy. Me and the color white never end well (just don't tell my bf that, lol)!

• Hpoole March 18, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I LOVE that bag — so dissapointed the black and blue is sold out! Let me know if you ever get tired of it, I will definitely take it off your hands. 🙂

• Suzie Q March 18, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Wow, impressive that coat is from H&M;! Absolutely love the clean lines and cut of the coat. Such an elegant, chic outfit. Love this spring look!

Suzie Q

• May Argentum March 19, 2014 at 9:13 am

Beautiful outfit, I love everything about it. You look gorgeous, great pictures.
    I was actually thinking of buying that coat in pink but it's sold out here. I may go for the other two colors still available. Yo can never have too many coats.
    xo,
    May

• Janna Dana March 20, 2014 at 5:24 am

Very beautiful ! I love your coat and your shoes ! You are a real inspiration for me.
    Bye

Johanna

• simple living March 20, 2014 at 2:13 pm

You are amazing! I love this outfit.

• Anonymous March 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Thank you for your review, Jean! I found the Pleione blouse on sale at Nordstrom. Would you have still kept that one over the H&M; drape blouse if it was the same price point?

• Jean March 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Awesome! Did you find regular or petite on sale? Hard to say because of the looser draping which is better for casual outfits and less so for work…but yes I think I would've kept it. Hope you enjoy yours : )

• Jean March 21, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I had no idea that promo was still going on! Shame on me for not knowing…thanks for the reminder : )

• Jean March 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for your kind comment, Marie! Warm wishes to you from across the pond.