• The white blouse: Pleione crossover draped top

nordstrom white blouse2
    Pleione faux wrap blouse (8 color/pattern choices, in reg/petite/plus sizing)
    Gap straight petite jeans (wearing 00P, runs small), Calvin Klein pumps (similar in sz 5+ here or here)
    After having a mini wardrobe purge when my cousin came to visit (she’s a student on a budget, who just happens to be the same size!), my mind has been on closet staples. I think few pieces are more classic than a well-draping white blouse. Pop one of these over broken-in denim, or tuck into a printed skirt for work. I love the simple crossover detail of this Pleione top (& little snap button at the chest to prevent peekaboos). Nick walked by and even commented on how it “looked high end.”

Trying on with Old Navy printed jersey pencil skirt (clipped back) & Ann Taylor belt
    nordstrom white blouse3

Fit: The fit of a petite XS is blousy but not overwhelmingly so. The shoulders go past my actual shoulders ~ 1,” and the sleeves when fully let down are long by that length. It looks fine rolled up and secured with the button tabs for a casual look. The back “tail” is longer than the front, which you can wear untucked over skinny jeans / leggings, or fully tucked in.

Material: The 100% polyester material is semi sheer in white, so as with all white blouses you would need either a nude camisole or bra. My nude bras get more wear than anything else in my closet, so I’d highly recommend finding a close-fitting one that doesn’t show visible lines (I alternate between a wireless one from VS and an underwire one from The Little Bra Company). Blouse care tag says hand wash and line dry.
    nordstrom white blouse

Measurements of a Petite XS: 14.5″ across shoulders, 16″ armpit to armpit (loosely measured due to the cross-over style), 22″ torso front length, 25.5″ back length, 22″ sleeve length when fully unrolled.

I was hoping this Old Navy skirt would end my search for a knit striped pencil skirt, but alas the fit did not work out. The cut is very rectangular, with a waist measurement almost equal to the hip width. As a result, it fit sitting low on my hips but not at my natural waist.

The waist is a wide slip-on style elastic band, and the entire skirt has stretch. There is external serge stitching on both sides, which makes it difficult to alter just the waistband discreetly. This was a return for me.

Measurements of XS regular: 13.5″ across the waist, 16.5″ across the hips, 15.25″ across bottom opening, 20.5″ total length.

old navy striped skirt

75 thoughts on “The white blouse: Pleione crossover draped top

• Phoebe February 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Wow, what a cute top! I wish more colors/sizes were available right now. It looks perfect for tucking in!

• IH February 27, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Nice abs! can you share your workout routine?

• EM February 27, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I have to agree, it does look very high end! I love how it can go with practically any outfit.

• Olyvia February 27, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Sometimes drapey blouses can look bulky (like the ones I tried), but that blouse does look expensive and drapes really well on you! And bummer on the Old Navy skirt fit, because the proportion of the stripes are just perfect and the knit material is probably comfy too!

• itaverony February 27, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Who knew cross-over blouses could be worn tucked into pencil skirts?!?!! I found a great crossover piece a few years ago from Target and it's now one of my wardrobe favorites!

Stop by 🙂

• Michelle R February 27, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Really like this blouse! If clothing can spark a reaction out of the significant other, it is a keeper. 🙂

• graceRysh0p February 27, 2014 at 11:15 pm

LOOKS SO EFFORTLESSLY CHIC <3 i love the top!!!

• kileen valenzuela February 27, 2014 at 11:42 pm

i love the white surplice top on you and it drapes beautifully! as for the skirt, maybe slimming it at the waist would be a easy DIY job?

• pureandsimpl February 27, 2014 at 11:50 pm

What a coincidence! I also own a Pleione faux wrap blouse, which I got from Nordstrom Rack a few months ago. It was less than $30!

• Me February 28, 2014 at 12:06 am

Really liked white blouses these days, definitely a wardrobe staple!

• Mei Fleming February 28, 2014 at 12:52 am

Love the way you styled this shirt. Fits so well and it's such an essential. Love it!!

NEW POST:: ARMED with FUR

xo

• Le monde des petites February 28, 2014 at 1:18 am

Love so much your jean's!!! <3

xoxo

Le monde des petites

• jpm February 28, 2014 at 1:55 am

Love the top! Looks incredibly comfortable. Just wondering, did the fabric bunch up when you tucked it into the skirt? It looks like the draped part in the front could be a pain to keep flattened and smooth while tucked into a pencil skirt! Thanks! — jp

• Iliana February 28, 2014 at 1:57 am

How did you fix the skirt? I have the exact same problem with a similar skirt.

• Lili Marie February 28, 2014 at 2:11 am

I absolutely love this blouse on you, sooo pretty!

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 2:16 am

Hi, the same version of that blouse is available now at h&M; for a fraction of that price. They also have multiple color options.

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 3:53 am

yes!i think the h&m; one fits better too…

• Carol from Life Style and Image February 28, 2014 at 5:01 am

I love the white top!

• Rachelle (http://pinksole.com/) February 28, 2014 at 5:14 am

I have this blouse and love it as well, cannot wait to wear mine.

xo
      ​PinkSole​

• Dressed with soul February 28, 2014 at 7:25 am

I for myself was never successful in discovering a wrap blouse, they looked all bulky on me. Of this cause I´m really surprised how perfect this wrap blouse looks.

xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena

• Jean February 28, 2014 at 7:50 am

Thanks Anon (& below) for the tip! I had no idea…placed an order to see if it fits better : )

• Jean February 28, 2014 at 7:51 am

Hi Iliana, you can usually just take in the waist part, but this skirt had visible stitching on the outside so it would be obvious if only part of it was taken in. I had to return it.

• Jean February 28, 2014 at 7:52 am

I didn't have issues with it bunching up because the fabric is very thin and smooth, but if the skirt is very fitted then it might show because of the fabric volume.

• Jean February 28, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Phoebe – the ladies below pointed out a super similar "draped blouse" at H&M; for $35

• Jean February 28, 2014 at 7:54 am

Yikes…it's really not much. I run for about 30 minutes each week and then do light weights for toning. Planking, crunches, and push ups are simply the best way to tone abs and can be done at home!

• Suzie Q February 28, 2014 at 8:26 am

I love the way you styled the white blouse with the jeans and heels. Simple and chic!

Suzie Q

• Kárin Styles February 28, 2014 at 8:35 am

You always have the most informative posts! I love your blog!

-Karin

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

The H&M; one runs small. I'm usually a size 4 but I had to size up for this blouse.But your top drapes more.Love the pairings!!
      Shenu

• Lauren February 28, 2014 at 9:54 am

I've been eyeing the H&M; version of this top for awhile and I can't wait to hear how it fits you before I go through with buying it online. I love the Pleione version you're wearing here but I would love to buy a more affordable version from H&M; if I can! (I also love H&M;'s floral version of the top, so cute)

Lauren
      casualglamstyle.com

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 9:56 am

Lovely. I am so inspired by your blog. I am 5'2" and 112 lbs and I struggle finding clothes that fit, so I know if it almost fits you – I stand a chance! Thought on a post – you mentioned the need for a good nude bra, it might be fun to explore wear us petite ladies can find bras. After 2 kids, I am endowed in that area, but still incredibly petite (30DD). I have to scour speciality stores in NYC or shop online and pray for fits. I struggled for years, assuming I was a 32C, because that is what I could find, but who knew that bras aren't supposed to be loose even on the tightest hook!

• Ashley February 28, 2014 at 10:15 am

That's a great top and too bad about the striped skirt! 🙁 xx

• Pamela February 28, 2014 at 10:39 am

If you undid the snap, would the v neck be wide open? I ask as a nursing mom. Thanks!

• Mallivan Olinger February 28, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Your style is so effortless! Gives me such great ideas for the pieces I already own or if I just buy this one piece to compliment my other peices,etc. Thank you for your blog!

• jenessa sheffield February 28, 2014 at 1:47 pm

That blouse is stunning!

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Hi Jean. Do you know if the ON skirt comes in petite sizing? Thank you.

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 2:37 pm

hi jean- how do you care for the exterior of your aquatalia? I am so terrified to wear them in the snow – im afraid the salt will ruin them! any advice?

• Anonymous February 28, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I always have a problem with see-through tops. Can you recommend specific bras or camisoles I could try? (Could you also pretty please provide links?)

• Lisa February 28, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Hi Jean – you have such amazing style! For your European readers – I've seen a similar wrap top but sleeveless at Mango.

• Petitetomatoes February 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Super cute top. I love it tucked in

• pumpkinmommy February 28, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Do you ever shorten blouse sleeves?

• Diana February 28, 2014 at 8:18 pm

LOVE that top! And those jeans!

• Caroline March 1, 2014 at 12:15 pm

very elegant. I love the lines and folds of the blouse!

• Lyndsee March 1, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I really love those jeans. I can never figure out how to pull off boyfriend jeans. I'd love it if you did a post on styling slouchy jeans with a petite frame.

• Project Declutter March 2, 2014 at 1:39 am

Hi Jean, I noticed in one of your pictures that you have a dress form. Where did you get that from? Do you have suggestions for where I can get one?

• Anonymous March 2, 2014 at 4:31 am

I love your blouses! What do you wear underneath?? Especially for work at a corporate job??

• Anonymous March 2, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi Jean!

I love reading your blog as you and I are similar sizes and you take all the legwork out of finding petite friendly pieces! I noticed your Gap jeans in this post and I was wondering what size you're wearing ( if you wouldn't mind sharing?) I am still on the hunt for a perfect fitting pair of jeans and these could be the ones! Thanks so much!

• rodelma lopez March 2, 2014 at 6:47 pm

you think this type of blouse would look good for a bigger sized women because it is so classy to look at..thanks

• Jean March 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Hi there, I'm wearing 24 / 00 petite which fit well for a casual jean. I can't find this exact wash anymore ("everglade") but the real straight style is one of their classic cuts, and there is a darker distressed wash currently avail online in petites. The fit could differ a little from wash to wash, but they do have free returns which makes it less of a risky trial process : )

• Jean March 2, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Thanks! I wear a skin-toned camisole or just a nude bra, if no lines show through.

• Jean March 2, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Hi there – mine is vintage from a local store closing down, but I've seen dress forms at Homegoods (current quite a few!), Pottery Barn, and also online here as reviewed by Alterations Needed: http://www.alterationsneeded.com/2011/01/petite-dress-form.html