Wool Cape Season

camel cape4

**Sheinside cape c/o, 7FAMK jeans, AV booties (similar on sale in sz 5+, extra 15% off w/ VETDAY), Prada tote

**Update: A few readers have mentioned problems with shipping times, live chat questions, as well as returning or exchanging items with Sheinside customer service, which is unfortunate. As a result, please be warned and order at your own risk.**

I’m not sure what it is about capes that keeps drawing me in – maybe it’s the easy silhouette that’s been around for centuries, or just the comfort of wearing a big blanket-like garment once temperatures drop. I tried sewing one from scratch, but upon getting to the lining and collar, realized that I had undertaken a project a bit beyond my current skill level. After giving up, I browsed around online for a classic neutral-colored one and stumbled upon this option.
camel cape6

Urban Outfitters world watch (now avail. in 3 leather strap colors), Essie “Hot Coco” polish

camel cape9
This cape met all of my requirements (including a back pleat, holes for the arms to come out, pockets to keep hands warm) except the fur was unfortunately not detachable. I do think the trim is cute, but it’s a little much for me on more casual days. After shopping around some more without finding a better option, I decided to DIY remove the trim and possibly make it attach/detach-able using a row of buttons. To remove it, you can use small scissors to cut the threads attaching the two halves of the hood that have the fur sandwiched in-between. After taking the trim out, I then hand-sewed the two pieces of hood shut again per this easy ladder-stitch tutorial. I imagine the buttons will take a few hours (saving the task for a rainy day perched in front of the TV), but an adjustment like this is something a tailor should be able to do for most coats.
camel cape7
This is my first time receiving something Sheinside and I wasn’t sure what to expect. As with other Asian retailers that I’ve worked with in the past, the items appear to come from a multitude of brands/vendors so sizing can vary from item to item. Sizes offered are also more generic – this cape comes in S, M, L with the measurements listed out online in cm. The cape was shipped within 24 hours after it was ordered, and took 9 days (7 business days) to arrive with the free standard shipping from China. Update: Based on feedback from several of you, it seems the average delivery period is a longer 3 weeks.

The fit shown here is of a size S. It has padded shoulders, which help the cape look a little more structured. The shoulders fit me fine over a thicker sweater, but may be too wide for anyone with a smaller frame. The cape is  fully lined, and the outer material is a medium-weight wool blend (30% wool, 70% poly) with some stretch. Color is described as “camel” online, but is more beige brown with slight pink undertones in-person.

Measurements of a S: 14.5″ across the shoulder (15.5″ including width of shoulder pads), 23.5″ long, 36″ wide across the bottom when fully extended.
camel cape5
I think the key to finding capes for petite figures is to pay attention to length as well as volume. I chose a shorter cape that hit just at my hips, and the addition of armholes in this design allow me to “hug it in” and keep the cape from billowing out too freely.
camel cape8
Below is another classic cape option that I tried on from Brooks Brothers kids (please pardon the blurry pic!). The largest I could find in-store was a sz L – the neck was snug on me once buttoned up, and the length was a tad short for someone 5 feet tall. I did however love the quality and weight of the 100% wool, and there are XL’s available online for anyone interested.

Brooks Brothers girls Melton cape in navy – free ship, use code VET20OFF for 20% off
BB cape

66 thoughts on “Wool Cape Season

• Anonymous November 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Hi Jean,
    It looks like UC Irvine "borrowed" your photos…

• DSK Steph November 7, 2013 at 11:52 pm

The photos are so beautiful, you look great Jean!

• Sherry November 7, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Love the look Jean! It looks like the pink one you have is no longer available? I only see the red and camel online 🙁

• chloe November 8, 2013 at 12:22 am

Love the cape without the fur …. does trimming the fur off makes the edges look unfinished? I am considering purchasing since it is so cute but I am not at skilled to make the fur attachable 🙂

• Tara Simone November 8, 2013 at 12:52 am

I've been considering getting a cape but didn't know how it'd look on me. And not sure if it's "practical" enough for me. But love this post and that jacket -the color- is everything!

• Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 1:22 am

Hi Jean
    I was wondering if the cape is itchy at all because of the wool?
    Thanks
    Julie

• F. K. November 8, 2013 at 1:47 am

I love the cape!

• Style Squared November 8, 2013 at 1:49 am
  • Le monde des petites November 8, 2013 at 1:58 am

GORGEOUS!!!
    Love capes, I have one also!
    Yours is so cute!!!! Fits perfectly to you and love this beige color! So great for autumn!!!

xoxo

Le monde des petites

• Brittany November 8, 2013 at 2:13 am

Hi Jean!

I really love the softness of the cape! It's so beautiful, and so are the pictures!

I came across your blog/facebook page through Wendy about a couple of months ago. I'm so happy to see a similar style like hers! I love it and can't wait to look through your blog more as time goes on! 🙂

Brittany

• skinny-donut November 8, 2013 at 2:35 am

Love love everything!!!

• AlexisB November 8, 2013 at 3:28 am

Wow. Jean, you should really look into getting that removed.

• Dressed with soul November 8, 2013 at 3:30 am

Yes the photos are really beautiful and you look so great! The Prada bag which you wear was the alternative for me, when I bought my Prada bag, but finally I dediced to buy the black-grey one. Now I´m not sure, if this was the right decision …

• esosandraUTD November 8, 2013 at 4:13 am

So classy,love tthe bag.

• Patricia November 8, 2013 at 4:49 am

Hi

saw this on instagram and had to get for myself cant wait to wear it! im interested in taking off the fur part as well are you able to show us pics of a before and after and also the buttons to attach and detach?

Tricia

• Purple Ivy November 8, 2013 at 5:17 am

The addition of the hood on the cape sells it for me. I would love it in red.

xoxo
    Ivy

• Alma Affaires November 8, 2013 at 8:13 am

I love that your cape has a hood– it looks extra cozy! Also, thanks a lot for the blow dryer tip to stretch out leather shoes. I gave it a shot the other day on a pair of my pointed-toe shoes and it worked like a charm 🙂
    Alma

• Amanda Oey November 8, 2013 at 8:43 am

I've been looking for a cape for for while and like you, having trouble finding something that would fit a petite Asian frame…not to mention a lot of the designer ones are relatively pricey. This one looks great – I'll have to check it out!

• charactersandcarryons November 8, 2013 at 9:00 am

I liked your response in the Jezebel post here: http://jezebel.com/the-truth-about-that-uc-irvine-before-and-after-job-i-1453488963

I like your posts and tips about fit–they're sound advice and nothing about just being pretty.

It's not possible to please everyone, and it's not possible to stop everyone from misunderstanding. It's quite unfair that they're taking that photo out of context.

• charactersandcarryons November 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

Hi Jean,
    I was wondering how warm the jacket is, and if you had information about the materials before you received it? (percentage wool, cotton, polyester)
    I see a few pieces on sheinside that I'd be interested in purchasing, but unsure about quality and warmth.
    Thanks! And great photos!

charactersandcarryons.wordpress.com

• Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 9:31 am

Beautiful photos, as usual! Sigh– fall in New England. Can you share the location?

• Kitch November 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

OMG! I absolutely love the look of this cape Jean! Im actually looking for coats and capes at the moment as I will be travelling to NY for thanksgiving week. Will this be warm enough for a 2 deg Celsius weather? I tried on the camel/black combo coat from Zara but as with most of their coats and capes, it was too big even for the XS size 🙁

• Ale Bellaire November 8, 2013 at 9:54 am

Great look, perfect for you, just your style!

• Choochoo Li November 8, 2013 at 10:33 am

I love cape/poncho jackets! Love this jacket on you! I have a black one (without arm holes) and have worn it so many times already. I agree with you that having arm holes help keep the jacket slim, but I also love the simplicity of ones without too. The Brook Brothers one looks great as well!

Choo Choo

• Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 11:13 am

Where did you get your watch??

• Christie November 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Just wondering, if you have purchased other items from this store Sheinside. I found a few things that look amazing but unsure about the quality and fit. I'm a petite as well.

• The Internet and The Unicorn November 8, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Great review Jean! And beautiful pictures. I am totally buying that cape!! I browsed for it on sheinside already but was hesitant to buy until I heard your full review. It sounds like you has a positive experience, and the price seems rather reasonable. Thank you!

• Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm

hi jean. would you new aquatalias replace your normal hunter rain boots? or is it for commuting in snow? also, do they run true to size? thanks in advance!

• Petitetomatoes November 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

That cape is awesome!

• Olivia J November 8, 2013 at 4:10 pm

That watch is perfect for you! It reminds me of the skirt you made…I think it was a skirt. Maybe it was a top. It minds me of that pattern you use, nonetheless. Glad to see you wearing a cape this season! I've always been a fan of the cape coat. The pink is a great combo of two great trends for the season.

Corporate Catwalk
    Facebook Page

• Dice November 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Love the cape! It's a great color on you.

• kileen valenzuela November 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

what a beautiful cape and the fit is great on you, Jean! i just ordered it too as i've been on the hunt for a cape for several years now too.

• Haley November 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Dumb people. How in the world did they get that out of a simple fashion blog post?

• Suzie Q November 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

The coat looks beautiful on you! I've always been weary on ordering outerwear from Asian fast fashion sites, so I'm glad that you reviewed a coat from one and that the quality is actually decent. I love the pink hue of the jacket!

Suzie Q

• Plum Pretty Sugar November 8, 2013 at 7:03 pm

What a delightful outfit. We love love this look!

xo

• Aeroplane and Apparel November 8, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Really pretty outfit….

• Anonymous November 8, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Dumb people will be dumb, but hey, you're considered a sexy asian girl! Not too terrible, but still terrible.

• Jessy T November 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Just thought I should help answer! –> I've ordered many times from Sheinside and the quality has always impressed me. They have pretty accurate measurements for every size in each product description. : )

• Mady T. November 9, 2013 at 6:32 am

love the outfit! the watch is amazing!

xoxo
    Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• B Trendy November 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

As always I love your outfit!!!! You look so beautiful and elegant…. I love the cape!!! and thank for your useful advices!!! have a nice day!