Eat and Explore (& Exercise!) Cape Cod

cape cod 1

Two piece set from Khatu (on Etsy), Panama hat – old H&M; (similar for $10), Warby Parker sunglasses c/o

Earlier this month, Nick and I headed to Cape Cod for an impromptu trip with some friends. For fellow Bostonians, this can be as quick as 1.5 hrs away without traffic. We usually head up north for lobster and outdoor activities…little did I know, the Cape offered a wealth of both and more!
cape cod 2
Living in a windier city, I’ve learned my lesson to wear biking shorts under fuller skirts. This came in handy when we stumbled upon the Cape Cod Rail Trail, a paved bike trail (once a railroad, true to its moniker) that runs through the Cape. We rented from Barbara’s Bikes in South Dennis, refueled on tacos at Guapos Brewster, before peddling back in a 17-mile round trip. It was a scenic, leisurely ride for someone who hasn’t been on a bike in years. Bonus: Wear your swimsuit to take cooling dips in two little lake spots along the way.

For lodging, we took a gamble on By the Sea Guests Bed & Breakfast and ended up loving it. Their website has a 3 night minimum, which can be waived if you call 1 to 2 days prior. The rooms are small but cozy, with updated bathrooms and TVs (which I’ve never had in past B&Bs;). There were always homemade treats in the kitchen, and a hearty breakfast is served every morning in an airy room overlooking the ocean:
cape cod sunrise

Woke up to walk along the coast and catch the sunrise; Apple crepes w/ sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt and pastries

The B&B; has a small stretch of private beach that was nice and peaceful, with comfy chaise chairs, umbrellas, and an outdoor warm shower. The public beach right next door was extremely crowded with $25 parking. We’re not luxury travelers, and this little place met all of our needs for a fair price (relative to other lodging in the area). Be warned though that the room rates online are for 2-person occupancy, and each additional person is $59/ day.
By the sea guests beach

Got our daily dose of beach time in before the sun became too bright

In my “older age” I find myself glued to the umbrella, hats, and sunscreen on the beach, especially after prolonged sun exposure from other outdoor activities. Tans can be nice in the moment, but long-term wrinkles and sun-damage are not…so please protect your skin accordingly!
bento box ocean house

Ocean House Bento Box – chef’s choice of appetizers. We had (from right to left): cheese-stuffed squash blossoms, grilled peach w/ mozzarella, pork belly and chive pasta, Thai shrimp w/ papaya, and lobster salad.

The best meal of the trip goes to the Ocean House Restaurant, which was a 5 minute walk from our B&B.; The reservations in the main room were all taken, which worked out for the best, as we waited for a window table (be sure to ask for one!) in the “lounge” area. The floor-to-ceiling windows let you enjoy a beach sunset while sipping cocktails and munching on yummy appetizers. There was jazzy live music later on during dinner, and fireworks right outside our window at dessert – what more could a diner ask for?
tuna cones ocean house

Tuna tartare cones with wasabi cream

ocean house lobster
Lobster with four dipping sauces (kimchee sauce reigned supreme). I cried a little inside upon seeing that they only served the tail and claw meat (true sign of a “fusion” restaurant) and discarded the rest, aka my favorite parts. Aside from this, the dining experience was exceptional, and we all secretly wanted to go back the next day.
cape cod 3
This two-piece outfit was a sweet handmade birthday surprise from my friend Khatu. It was comfortable and cool in the blazing heat, and also served as a convenient swimsuit cover-up. I couldn’t resist wearing it for a second day of exploring.
Chatham Pier

In Chatham: You can grab a lobster roll here, then watch the seals waiting around for a morsel from the fishermen

cape cod 6

Left: Found myself a seaweed skirt Right: Also rented jet-skis (very choppy but fun) from here & kayaks from here< /a>
sashimi oysters

My friends and I always keep a sharp eye out for dollar oyster deals. We found $1.25 oysters (good enough!) just minutes away from the B&B; at The Oyster Company, available every day until 6:30PM. Note they are only open for lunch on Fri & Sat, and just dinner the other days. The oysters hit the spot, plus I got to try an interesting “sashimi oyster” concoction (pictured above).
cape cod 4Frequenters of Cape Cod – I’d love to hear about your favorite places, and any suggestions for our next visit!

35 thoughts on “Eat and Explore (& Exercise!) Cape Cod

• lin July 17, 2013 at 9:16 pm

jean, looks like you had a great time and all the food looks so delicious! thanks for sharing your experiences. 😉

• Anonymous July 17, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Jean, you're beautiful. That dress doesn't do you any justice. Can we see you in more flirty, sexy clothing? Lately some of the pieces seem to age you.

Ellen

• Kim July 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I love your blog, Jean! The food looks mouth-watering and that dress is so unique! It looks great on you 🙂 Thanks for sharing your experience at Cape Cod!

• Anonymous July 17, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I love the dress and I love it on you. I wish I could wear something like that, but I'm pale and vein-y with some birth control induced cellulite…I'll bet your "critic" has some of the same issues as well…

Cape Cod is a wonderful place for Northeasterners to go in the summer. You should visit Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard as well sometime.

• Catching Flight July 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm

You're food pictures are always so drool inducing, especially that bento box! Cape cod sounds like an amazing place.

• Lisa - respect the shoes July 17, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I've always wanted to go to Cape Cod – thanks for sharing your trip!

• ChocolateFashionCoffee July 17, 2013 at 10:38 pm

lovely pictures! Love the dress!

ChocolateFashionCoffee

• Laura July 17, 2013 at 10:41 pm

That Ocean House bento box looks so tasty! Thanks for sharing your recommendations – I definitely must try a few of these places now.

• Lady Indo July 17, 2013 at 11:06 pm

D'aw you look like you had a fun time! I wish I could go to Cape Cod – it looks so relaxing! If not for anything, then definitely for the food!!! ;P

ladyindo.blogspot.com

• Suzie Q July 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Love the dress, you and Khatu have such an eye for sewing! I haven't been to Cape Cod yet, but it's on my list to visit while I'm living on the east coast. I haven't stayed at a B&B; before, but I love how it's so cozy, so I'll definitely keep the place in mind when I look into Cape Cod!

Suzie Q

• Life's too short...buy the shoes July 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Love your outfit by Khatu and the food looks so amazing! I suddenly want to visit Cape Cod so badly! Hope you had a great trip!

• Happiness at Mid Life July 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Love this post – looks like a nice relaxing vacay! I have never been to Cape Cod and would love to visit one day.

Alice

• Gabrielle Anais July 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I'm from Wellfleet so all this pictures made me miss home so much

• Madame July 17, 2013 at 11:30 pm

These are amazing photos! I really like that two piece dress that you both are wearing.

• pumpkinmommy July 18, 2013 at 12:46 am

Two beautiful, talented ladies! You said you were wearing bike shorts under the skirt…what are you wearing under the top? (As a fellow vertically challenged Asian woman, I am asking in a non-icky way but in a "help me pull of cute summer tops without strap flash" way!)

• Le monde des petites July 18, 2013 at 1:30 am

Wouahhh! What this beautiful dress and nice pics!!!
    Want so much try the sashimi oyster!!!

Jul and Mél from Le monde des petites

• Yuen Lim July 18, 2013 at 2:33 am

I love that two piece dress! It's gorgeous!

The Craziest Paradigm – a 'lil bit of rust & stardust

• Charlotte July 18, 2013 at 7:08 am

Wow I love this outfit ♥ It's seriously gorgeous and looks amazing on you !

fashionfixeshearts.blogspot.com

• TaraMixandMatch July 18, 2013 at 7:27 am

I love the outfits that you both wore, so perfectly summery! It looks like you had an amazing time 🙂

• Professionally Petite July 18, 2013 at 8:47 am

Love the dress on you. I used to go to the cape every summer as a kid. I remember lots of mini golf, making sand castles on the "bay side", daily bike rides, and taking day trips to the vineyard to ride the carousel. I wonder what it's like as an adult.. I bet the food is fantastic. Unfortunately, I just remember being a kid and eating chicken fingers at seafood restaurants..for shame!

• Anonymous July 18, 2013 at 10:14 am

I really enjoyed reading this post and salivating over the food photos – I live all the way in Sydney and Cape Cod is definitely on my to-do-list now 🙂

• ZipStyle Seattle July 18, 2013 at 10:23 am

What a fun dress – and beautiful setting! I just wrote about crop tops similar to the dress you're wearing:

• Souda July 18, 2013 at 10:49 am

This makes me want to go to Boston and Cape Cod. I don't care what the haters say. I would love to see more posts on local Boston outings. You always seem to find the best places to eat!

xoxo

Souda

• Anonymous July 18, 2013 at 11:09 am

Beautiful photos! Dennisport is lovely– isn't the beach gorgeous? Thanks for the recos– I need to try that restaurant!

• pretty little things July 18, 2013 at 11:36 am

this post is making me hungry!! looks like youre having an amazing time! xo

• Bernice McMillan July 18, 2013 at 8:17 pm

That two-piece is absolutely darling on you!

XOXO Bernice the Shoe Addict

• Jan Chan July 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Lovely<3!!!!!!!

• MelbMissMisc July 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Love that dress on you! It's hard to believe you are under 5 feet! You look way taller in your photos! Love how you can find outfits that compliment your figure and enhance your overall assets ^^

• Joy July 20, 2013 at 3:40 am

lol @ your seaweed skirt =] This reminds me to make use of my bike downstairs, but I got to pump the tires!
    Thanks for sharing the photos. that lobster roll is making me drool!

shortandsweetjoy

• A Petite Treat July 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm

You look amazing Jean! The food looks so delicious!

Jenn
    A Petite Treat

• Michelle July 22, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Dang! 17 mile bike ride…good for you guys! The pic of you and Khatu with the bikes is so cute. And all that food looks amazing.

• Irene July 24, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love how you call the 17 mile bike ride 'leisurely' lol. 🙂 How long did it take? O_O

I love your vacation pics. I can only dream about being vacation right now, so for the time being, I shall live vicariously through these breezy pics and ooooh the nomnoms!

I will definitely bookmark this for a future trip to Cape Cod — possibly as early as next Summer since my sister will be in Boston for school next year *fingers crossed*. Thanks for the usual inspiration and glad you are having a blast with friends and your Man!

PS – I was about to ask where you bought the lovely full-skirted ensemble. Alas, another reason you should start up a clothing line (Khatu too, she is so cute!)

• Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 6:48 pm

what do you think of the prada saffiano bag in red?

• Anonymous July 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

The print on your is really pretty!

Also, where do you get your sunglasses? I'm Asian, with typical Asian features – find it really hard to get moulded plastic frames that fit on my nosebridge and that don't hit my cheekbones. Especially in oversized styles.

• Anonymous August 21, 2013 at 5:47 am

I want your outfit so badly! Gives you such a lovely, feminine shape while staying young and fresh. Whoever said that ages you or it isn't sexy must is a lunatic.