Banana Republic x Milly Patio Dress & easy wedding wear ideas

banana republic milly dress

Banana Republic x Milly patio dress c/o (25% off for cardmembers w/ code LOVEMILLY)
Ann Taylor sandals (this year’s version), Amrita Singh earrings, Gap hat, clutch from the Philippines

The Milly for BR collection launched this week, with electric colors and prints suitable for our 90 degree heatwave. My favorite piece is the elephant-print shorts, made in cotton with a conservative 4” petite inseam. I love that they balanced out a potentially childish animal print with a classic navy & white palette. As I already have my fix of elephant shorts thanks to an earlier sewing project, I picked this pleated patio dress from the collaboration to style. banana republic milly dress3 Over the years, I’ve received a number of questions on wedding guest attire, some specifically from ladies who prefer not to bare their legs. A colorful long dress in a floaty, lightweight material is a happy medium between shorter frocks and a stern pant suit. For semi-formal occasions, I’d style such a dress as shown in the first photo with heeled sandals, clutch bag, and a shoulder wrap for dropping temperatures. For a beach or backyard wedding where heels would only aerate the lawn, strappy flat sandals + statement earrings (shown below) are sufficient to complete the look. Add an over-sized hat for a day lounging by the pool/ocean, or a denim jacket and cross-body bag for a weekend brunch.
Photo by http://davidsalafiaphotography.com/

On Nick: BR x Milly blue shorts and micro print shirt c/o, Keds sneakers
Apolis garden tote (gift from the Warby Parker folks, love it for picnics and trips) Photo by http://davidsalafiaphotography.com/
The weight and material of the dress matters for special occasions, as cotton or knits can be too casual (ie. I wouldn’t wear this one to a wedding). I love the idea of luxurious silk, but personally don’t mind lower-maintenance polyester for sticky summers. This dress is 100% poly (made in China) and is labeled dry-clean only, however I plan on hand washing it in the sink and just being gentle with the pleats.
Photo by http://davidsalafiaphotography.com/
Photo by http://davidsalafiaphotography.com/
Fit notes: I received this dress in a 0P because 00P was not available at the time (but it is now both online and in stores). The torso has a little extra room, and I shortened each shoulder strap by one inch. A 00P should fit someone with my measurements (32-24-32 and 5 feet tall) well with no hemming or alterations needed, and consequently I must warn taller ladies that the petite length runs on the shorter side.

banana republic milly dress2 Measurements of a 0P: 15″ across the armpit, 12.5″ across the waist, 13″ torso length measured from top of shoulder strap (before I shortened it) to waistline, 35.5″ skirt length. Dress is fully lined and has a side zipper and detachable tie-waist belt.

banana republic milly dress1 Photos thanks to Nick and Dave Salafia

55 thoughts on “Banana Republic x Milly Patio Dress & easy wedding wear ideas

• Fauxionista May 31, 2013 at 2:43 am

Love the dress you picked and the editorial shots of both you & Nick!

fauxionista.com

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 3:09 am

I love these posts that feature both you and your boyfriend wearing clothes from the same collection! you both look fantastic. did nick pick out his own outfit? 🙂 he should really consider taking up blogging again!

• pumpkinmommy May 31, 2013 at 3:36 am

Hi! The dress is beautiful, and so are you! Is the dark belt something that comes with the skirt? I looked on the online catalog, and the dress seems to be styled with an enamel-ish belt with a metal buckle.

• kcomekarolina May 31, 2013 at 3:40 am

great look!

xoxo from rome
    K.
    kcomekarolina.com

• Stephanie Lam May 31, 2013 at 3:52 am

Love the couples photos!! You guys are super cute! The length of the dress is perfect! It's definitely harder to find maxi dresses for us short girls!

-Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.com

• Translation agency May 31, 2013 at 4:07 am

You both are made for each other, and dresses are perfectly suits for you guys.

• Joules May 31, 2013 at 4:10 am

Gorgeous! The color and print is great, and the pleats are ultra flattering. I'll definitely have to give this collection a look!

Style by Joules

• TaraMixandMatch May 31, 2013 at 7:29 am

The dress is super pretty on you, I hope to find it in store to try on this weekend! Love the pics of you and Nick!

• Suzie Q May 31, 2013 at 8:15 am

I love the colors of the dress and how you and Nick are color coordinated. These shots are lovely!

Suzie Q

• SydneysFashionDiary.com May 31, 2013 at 8:20 am

You probably have picked out the best piece from this collection. I stopped by a local BR yesterday to check out the collection and I think it was just OK. I have a wedding to attend in August and you gave me an idea of what to wear =) I love those pics of you and Nick. My favorite is the hand-holding one. Have a great weekend!

• Spiffie May 31, 2013 at 8:38 am

Your boyfriend is so handsome! You two make such a darling couple!

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 9:30 am

You look gorgeous in maxi dresses and this beautiful turquoise color, Jean.

But are you aware about BR (Gap)'s activities in Bangladesh? I think they were one of the companies who refused to sign a safety agreement for working conditions in the country. What are your thoughts on wearing the brand and being approached for a sponsorship?

I was hoping that this would be one of the companies you boycott or at least bring awareness to your readers about.

• phiphis blog May 31, 2013 at 9:35 am

that dress was also my favourite from the collection. love how you styled it and it's always so nice to see you and nick together! xo P

• Shira May 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

You look absolutely beautiful in that dress! It's not the best look on my figure-oh well….but it's a gorgeous dress and you rock it!

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 10:31 am

Love the dress! Thanks so much for posting the measurements as well =)

• Emily May 31, 2013 at 11:23 am

Such a pretty dress! I love these pictures!

creamystyle.com

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 11:39 am

Love Nick's outfit!! Thanks for the inspiration. I'll need to check out Banana Republic over this weekend.

– Alexandra

• lisacng @ expandng.com May 31, 2013 at 11:44 am

Beautiful for summer and LOVE the photos with you and Nick. What a cute couple!

• Joanne Ku May 31, 2013 at 11:57 am

perfect color scheme for a cute couple! love these photos of you two together!

xx, joanne

• Anna May 31, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Beautiful outfit!! You guys look absolutely perfect together 🙂 can I ask how long have you been with each other?

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Love that second picture of you – absolutely stunning! 🙂

• Fictitious Fashion May 31, 2013 at 1:13 pm

The dress looks gorgeous on you! I saw your other outfits via fb and I wanna say, I loveee it! You have great style jean 🙂
    your bf and you look great together.. he also has a great style!

wud u like to follow each other? lemme knw

Maybe you have time to see my new Outfit post: Just like a Fairytale

Love
    Akanksha

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Please let us know how the dress held up after hand washing it.

• irugnotmis May 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm

the picture with you and nick looking at each other and holding hands is soooo cute! lovely pick, looking gorgeous as always. =)

• WMBG May 31, 2013 at 2:35 pm

great post!

WMBG

• Ann May 31, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Such pretty pics *___*

• CynthiaC May 31, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I guess we have different body types because I tried this at the store yesterday and let's just say that my butt really stuck out :(… it looks amazing on you, though.

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Can you please tell me how tall are you?

• New Petite May 31, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Beautiful pictures and love the colors!

• Anonymous May 31, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Beautiful outfit and pictures! As I agree with some of the commenters, my favorite pictures was the one of you and Nick holding hands! It looks so genuine, sweet, pure, romantic, etc. Also, the way you look at each other reminds me a couple being in love and enjoying each other's company! The photographer did a great job on taking the photos, too!

• Van Nguyen May 31, 2013 at 8:29 pm

You look stunning Jean. I love your styling choices with the maxi dress. The background with purple rhododendrons and dark fence really adds to your outfit.

• Julie May 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm

This dress is stunning on you! And I super-love that Nick's shorts match.

xoxo, Julie @ OBSESSED

• AlexisB June 1, 2013 at 1:13 am

The dress looks so great on you! I love Milly clothing, so I was excited to hear about the BR collaboration. Was also happy to see petite sizing as Milly does not yet do petites. My only disappointment was that not all the looks were available for preview. When I finally got to see the whole collection, the only item I considered was the feather skirt (didn't buy).

I have two Milly coats. The older one is a size 4 and fits as though custom made. The other is size 0 and a bit large on me. The tags in both say 'Made in USA,' which took some of the sting out of how much I paid for them. I once had the I idea to not shop for a year so I could splurge on Milly but didn't make it. Might try again as the design and quality of the clothing is very good.

• lavidalaura.com June 1, 2013 at 9:30 am

That dress is fantastic, and I love how you've styled it!

• Anonymous June 2, 2013 at 12:48 am

Aw just noticed that you have a BCG mark on your arm, Jean! Wish I was born a little later so could do without that myself!

• Michelle June 2, 2013 at 5:38 pm

The color palette is gorgeous. Loving your clutch from the Philippines! Also, always love seeing these couples posts…keep them coming. 🙂

• Rodelma Lopez June 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm

…proud to be an Asian…i love the dress it is so beautiful on you and you got a perfect match model too…keep it up

• PetiteAsianGirl June 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Hi there – I appreciate your question and know this is a topic that garners differing opinions, so I just wanted to share my personal thought process behind it. In the wake of the tragedy, I feel that this specific safety agreement (that currently consists of mostly European companies) has been brought to the forefront of the media, and may have overshadowed longer-term issues in the fast fashion cycle, as well as the other practices by the companies involved. Gap and a few American companies have not yet signed this specific agreement for reasons that are not completely transparent to the public, but I have also read about several third-party articles on the company indicating that Gap has a long-term commitment to ethics, and also workplace standards / policies that are better than most in the industry (ie. http://www.free2work.org/trends/apparel/Apparel-Industry-Trends-2012.pdf ). Conversely, a few of the large companies that were quick to sign the specific safety agreement in Bangladesh (and reap the positive media exposure) have been investigated several times for child labor with few precautions against it, or are known in the industry for having the most disposable fast-fashion business cycle – so in assessing the companies I've patronized, I am trying to consider various objective pieces of info.

The issue of information is not just with specific brands. For example, some will say that shopping at thrift shops is one of the best ways to address the issue of fast fashion demand, whereas some will be quick to point out that most thrift shops donate or sell unsold (or not fit for being sold) garments in bulk to developing countries, where it then damages the local economies.

Ultimately, we each make purchasing decisions based on what's more important to us personally and our interpretation of the information out there (and there is quite a spectrum, ranging from activists eager to point fingers, to brands tooting their own horn and twisting facts for marketing purposes). I have not yet found information on Gap's practices that I find to be unacceptable, but I know that's just my opinion. As mentioned last month, however, I would really like to find companies that offer niche sizing & style similar to what's usually shown on here, but are more transparent about their manufacturing & sourcing. I've done a lot of research & looked into all reader suggestions, and would appreciate any more. I also think that a different approach to shopping can be just as important as deciding what stores to do it at. Buying with the mindset of shopping for the long-term (this means durable clothes that fit properly) vs. because of a good deal or for instant gratification, buying less in general, and taking better care of existing clothes are all factors that play an immense factor in the demand that leads up to what happened in Bangladesh, and are things that I personally want to work on.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 2, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Thanks, Anna – almost too many years to count : )

• PetiteAsianGirl June 2, 2013 at 10:34 pm

A little under 5 feet tall.