• Transitional Spring: Camel, silk blouse + Theory dot dress

navy dots cream blouse

J.Crew schoolboy blazer (now 50% off), Theory dress thanks to Cee, thrifted silk blouse
    Prada Saffiano bag, Ann Taylor pumps, earrings from eBay, Talbots navy tights (similar for less)

Despite yet another snowstorm raging on outside, I’ve just about had enough with winter workwear and heavy layers. I’ve been slowly transitioning to lighter fabrics and fun prints, like this silk dot dress courtesy of the stylish & thoughtful Cee. She mentioned that the waist of this dress was high for her 5’4″ frame (which works out nicely for someone several inches shorter!), and asked if I wanted dibs before it got donated. I’ve always loved this dress on Cee (here and here), and was more than happy to give it a new home.
    navy dots cream blouse4

Similar dress options from left to right: (1) Anne Klein, (2) Forever21, (3) Target, and (4) Taylor:

navydotdress

As it still averages a brr-worthy 30-40 degrees here, I layered up both under and over the delicate silk. I used an ivory collared blouse to accentuate the soft spots, and my trusty neutral blazer + bag to pull the look together. This thrifted blouse is several sizes too big and waiting in my alterations queue, so the fitted blazer also served to conceal that fact. Worry not, there was also a wool coat over all of this.
    navy dots cream blouse1
    Not sure how I went so many winters without navy tights…but once I got my hands on a pair, I couldn’t put them down (also shown here). They’re a less-harsh alternative to black, have a preppy vibe, and go surprisingly well with most colors. Just make sure the shade is a darker navy rather than a lighter blue. Mine are from Talbots and lasted about 10 wears before getting some pulls. Forever21 also has a dark navy option (& 8 other colors) that is $6.80 with very good reviews.
    navy dots cream blouse2

Readers – Are you a fan of navy tights? Please share any recommendations for a good quality, dark blue option : )

52 thoughts on “Transitional Spring: Camel, silk blouse + Theory dot dress

• Cat in Calico March 7, 2013 at 10:18 pm

You rock those polka dots!

I'm a huge fan of HUE tights, and they do come in Navy as I have a pair of them. Cheap tights hug my large thighs and pill and rip easily. HUE tights are completely comfortable for me and I can feel the quality. I love wearing tights 2-3 times a week during the 4-5 months that weather permits, and not a single one of my Opaque tights has had any damage or pilling (I have ~8 pairs). My Herringbone tights ripped a bit when I yanked them too hard, but that was my fault cause the pattern makes the tights more delicate.

I tend to buy my Hue tights in bunches from the site when it has a sale, but Macy's and Amazon carries HUE as well. I have seen them at Nordstrom Rack and Marshall's, but only in black. eBay is also another option.

• Suzie Q March 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Love the polka dots and how you combined caramel with the navy blue. I don't have a pair of navy blue tights yet, but I do love the way it looks!

xoxo,
      Suzie Q

• emily rose March 7, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Gap made a great navy tight this winter and te size was great. I also bought j crew which were great opaque color but the size small was huge! Probably best for someone much taller. Wishing spring would hurry up in NYC! I'm over tights!

• Carolines Day March 7, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Navy is my go to tight color since most of my skirts & dresses favor navy over black. I wore my HUE tights out and just grabbed a pair of Target ones, but they are a touch lighter than preferred. Will be checking out the F21 ones the next time I order from there.

• Christy March 7, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I must agree with cat in calico. Out of all the tights I've gone through over the years, Hue has been the most durable and comfortable. I hear spanx has great tights too, but haven't tried them myself yet. Beautiful post, I always love all your outfits!

Christy
      Sunnywithasideof…

• Berty Morales March 7, 2013 at 11:01 pm

You look beautiful and love your polka dot dress.

• Cee March 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I can't begin to count the number of times you feature an item only to lament how it's a bit big. Because that's when I think to myself, "If it's big on Jean, then it probably fits me well!" Off the top of my head, the Malang jacket comes to mind. I think you wished the length was shorter on you, but on me it worked out nicely. So for once, I'm glad the roles are reversed because this dress was definitely made for someone of your proportions. It fits you so well! Hope the alterations (if any?) weren't too difficult.

PS – Funny you brought up the Taylor dress because I've got my eyes on that… if I ever want a polka dot dress in my life again πŸ˜‰

• Ping March 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm

hi jean! sounds freezing in boston. you should consider moving to the west coast since the weather is better and your brother is also here. heehee
      i love this color combo and the polka dots. i just got me a navy polka dot dress from asos. i ended up ordering a size 2 regular since i've seen you have had success with their regular sizes.

• Temi Truly March 8, 2013 at 12:01 am

The navy tights work so effortlessly with the outfit. They aid in elongating your frame. Great outfit and I really like the color palette!!!

❀ Temi Truly

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 1:21 am

If there's a Uniqlo near you, their tights are pretty good.

• Rachelle March 8, 2013 at 5:33 am

Love this dress, the camel and navy works well together.

xo

• Manon March 8, 2013 at 6:39 am

I've liked that blazer for a while now and was happy to hear its on sale… but its sold out! Noooooo!

Manon

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 7:07 am

Could NOT agree more about being sick of dressing in layers! I live in Boston as well and I am sooooo ready for all garments spring related.

Thanks for the fun post as always Jean!

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 8:35 am

Hi jean,

Loyal reader of your blog here! Love love love your style..so classis.

I am looking for a lace top in ivory. Would love your inputs.

Sana

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hi jean,

Did you try the joe fresh line in jcp?

• Christina March 8, 2013 at 9:31 am

I may have to try navy tights now! I've been a bit scared to venture out when it comes to tights, but now may just have to try πŸ™‚

• Erin March 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

I haven't even thought of buying navy tights, but they look fabulous here! I love the classic look of this whole outfit. And I saw that Forever 21 polka dot dress and had decided to pass, but now I am rethinking my decision! There is something so chic about a navy polka dot dress for spring.

-Erin-
      OneTwoSummer

• PetiteAsianGirl March 8, 2013 at 9:36 am

Yes I did and it runs very big : /

• Cammie Callisto March 8, 2013 at 9:36 am

Stunning dress!

x Cammie

• lisacng @ expandng.com March 8, 2013 at 9:52 am

Love the camel with the navy and what cute dots! Great alternatives you listed too. Wow, that F21 is nearly the exact, even at the waist! I would have never though Navy to be a versatile color for tights, but you've sold me! Guess I might need some navy shoes too then ;).

• mary @ BG JOURNALS March 8, 2013 at 10:09 am

i got that blazer as a gift for the holidays not thinking it was really my style, but wear it all the time now–i love it! though i cringe that it is now 50% off…that's a pretty good deal. stay warm in all this snow (will it ever stop?)

• Kathleen Lisson March 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

Love this outfit, especially the navy tights!

• pretty little things March 8, 2013 at 10:32 am

that dress looks gorgeous on you! xo

• QueenLina March 8, 2013 at 11:23 am
    • Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 11:39 am

I've also always loved this dress on Cee and am looking forward to seeing you feature this dress fully in warmer weather. What a difference a few inches make in terms of proportion, and yet it looks so lovely on both of you.
      ~Shirley

• Annapurna March 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

Lovely Jean! I wish I could wear caramel but it is too close to my skin tone.

I have two words for you – HSN tights! Actually, four words – HSN fleece lined tights! Mine are warmer than anything else (even pants), and have stayed intact (and even nice-looking) after three winters' worth of washing. And I commute from the North End to Government Center through a wind tunnel every single day. While they are nice and toasty outside, they somehow are not too warm inside. I don't know how they do it. They are soooo comfy.

I could not find them on HSN anymore though. I want to say they are the Plush Brand but a quick google shows that Plush tights are more expensive than what I paid on HSN. I paid about $25 for a package of two (one navy, one black).

When I was in Japan, I got some uniqlo heattech tights. They are warm, but not as luxe feeling as the fleece-lined tights. I will say that my Uniqlo Heattech long down belted puffer that I bought in NY in 2009 for $79 (not even on sale) is the warmest coat I have ever worn. And nice & fitted for us shorties!

• phiphis blog March 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

beautiful! i loved it on cee, and now on you! perfection!

xox P

• newpetite March 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

Havent thought of navy tights. But you are right, they do look good. I love the polka dot dress and how you paired it with the blouse and the blazer. The blazer saved it from looking like a school girl and elevated it to a chic work appropriate outfit! Love it!

• countrygirlcityfashion March 8, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Love your gorgeous dress!

• Jane Squared March 8, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I've found the most success with HUE & Spanx tights, though I also like the Assets by Spanx brand which is sold at Target because I find them a little bit thicker than your average pair of tights. I think the Assets tights retail for around $12, but Target occasionally marks them down! Hope that helps. πŸ™‚

• Candice March 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Love the camel and with the navy! You look great in the dress, Jean. Thanks for sharing where to purchase navy tights. I've been looking for some.

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 1:20 pm

hi jean! i would love to see your tips and recommendations for some asian friendly sunglasses. what are your favorite retail stores in boston? πŸ™‚

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

My favorite gray tights from HUE lean very blue and go great with my blue pumps or skirt πŸ™‚ at the same time they pass for gray so it's easy to pair and safe to wear.

• tasha March 8, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hue tights and Nordstrom tights are really good. Great price point. Loving this look.

• Catherine March 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Are those black or navy pumps that you're wearing? I never know what color shoes to wear with navy tights or if you can get away with wearing black.

• andrea March 8, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Love the dress…I think I'll be picking up the Forever 21 version over the weekend πŸ™‚

xoxo,
      Andrea

• Lili March 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Such a pretty outfit

• Visceral Maze March 8, 2013 at 6:05 pm

i like it a lot. it is actually not as noticeable as black and blends well with the outfit. I will buy one sometime.

• Life in Petite March 8, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I like navy tights because I have so many navy-colored items in my closet! HUE is always a good brand πŸ™‚ I'm wishing Uniqlo had navy in their heattech tights collection (I only have black).
      Your outfit makes me want to bust out my polka dot dresses again; it's been awhile since they've been in rotation! πŸ™‚

L&F;,
      KC

• Anonymous March 8, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Hi Jean,

can you do some work outfits for women in their 40?