Winter work: Mina + Olya sculpted dress + wooden details

green wool and wood3

Sculpted dress c/o Mina + Olya (DIY altered), Burberry coat, YSL heels
Vintage Hermes belt, Goyard Marquises tote

A few months back, I was reading Krystal‘s blog and saw several features on San Francisco-based designers Mina + Olya. Curious, I hopped on over to their site and ended up spending a large chunk of time reading about their story and perusing the collections.

Mina and Olya are two friends who left their financial consulting careers to start a fashion line, which is designed and made in the United States using organic and sustainable materials. Their focus on sustainability and supporting domestic affects nearly every part of the business, from fabrics down to the web designer and bank that they use. I recall reading somewhere that they were unsatisfied with the offerings available for the corporate woman, and wanted to create high-end options that were edgier yet still classic. I felt that the driving values behind M+O would resonate with many women who want something unique for work (and after work), while supporting a small businesses and other respectable causes.
green wool and wood1
As someone who also works in financial services but enjoys fashion, I really admired M+O for taking a leap of faith to do what they’re passionate about. I wrote them a note expressing that and wishing them the best on their journey. I also mentioned that their line appears to be for a taller figure, and to please consider making petite proportions as well in the future (especially for items like their green wool dress). The ladies responded warmly and asked about my mailing address for a little holiday something. I assumed it was for a Christmas card, so imagine my surprise when a green wool dress showed up in my mailbox.

Swiss dot tights from Elle (similar w/ free ship)

green wool and wood
As appreciative as I was of M+O’s generosity, this dress was definitely designed for someone taller than myself. I was ready to send back their kind gift, before deciding that I loved it enough to try and do the alterations myself. I figured I could at least share this brand I admire with taller readers and those based in SF, and also show shorter ladies examples of alterations needed to adjust regular-sized garments for a petite figure.
In person, I was very impressed by the quality and attention to detail of this dress. The wool was thick, warm, and fully lined, the pleats and sculpting at the hips were secured with knotted hand stitches, and the bottom hem was shaped with a structured mesh layer. I tried to keep all of the original design elements intact and adjust only the proportions:
green wool and wood_alter
One of the biggest fashion myths is that shorter women only need a hem job with regular-sized garments. As I’ve learned through experience – it’s a matter of overall proportions that involves attention not only to length, but also the waistline, bust placement, armholes, and more (ie. see lapel size alterations for this coat). For this dress, I raised the waistline, slightly adjusted the bust darts, slimmed the sleeves and armholes, and shortened the length and sleeves. Luckily, the shoulders of a size 2 were already a good fit. I love the end result, and envision this is how the dress would’ve looked off-the-rack on a taller figure.
green wool and wood4
To further accentuate the waistline, I chose a banded belt that is a new addition to my collection. I’ve shared before about LXR & Co (disclosure – members receive a $25 credit for invited friends who make a purchase; use code EXPET20FAN for a $20 credit), which holds daily online sales of vintage designer items. Last year, I received a gift card for something to feature in an outfit post. Despite the tempting daily eye candy, I waited for a wishlist item to come along that I’d be just as likely to purchase with my own money. It was worth the wait, as I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw this belt in a recent sale. I had lost an auction many moons ago for a belt in the same style and size, due to driving into a patch of land devoid of wireless reception (gotta love Western MA). I frequently wear my Hermes belts from Nick, and wanted another option with the same clean, waist-cinching style but no logo and a thicker strap.

Hermes horsebit buckle belt w/ 32mm wide black to brown strap, sz 65, circa 1996
green wool and wood2 Since Hermes belts are frequently counterfeited, I had doubts of authenticity when bidding on auction sites. LXR&Co; guarantees the authenticity and stated condition of their items, so I felt more confident going through them for a piece like this. After being duped by a Celine belt knockoff recently (via eBay), I wanted to be extra sure. I asked their customer service several questions about this belt, to which an Hermes specialist provided prompt and detailed responses.green wool and wood5 Readers – If any of you have made a purchase through LXR & Co, I would love to hear about your experiences.

87 thoughts on “Winter work: Mina + Olya sculpted dress + wooden details

• sequins from life February 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

You look so chic

• Kathleen Lisson February 24, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Lovely dress, thank for showing us the DIY needed to make it petite-appropriate. My seamstress is my closet's best friend! I dislike how so many dresses at the store look like I borrowed them from my mother's closet when I was 8 years old.

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I still feel that the style and material is a bit overwhelming on your small frame, even with the alterations. It's a beautiful dress and you've styled it the best you could, but it still doesn't look right.

• chocolatefashioncoffee February 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm

great look! love the dress 🙂

chocolatefashioncoffee.blogspot.com

• Shira February 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

you're gorgeous, the dress color is fab and those tights are awesome!
    sequinsandpolkadots.blogspot.com

• Carolines Day February 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

So polished!

• Musings by Di February 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm

LOVE! this is such a gorgeous color and the details you added work fabulously.

xoxoo
    Diana

• Ouga February 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I actually think the same. While you look gorgeous as always, the dress is a bit overwhelming on your petite frame.
    Love that Goyard

• ZxM Style-Squared February 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

THIS IS REALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Cua Wendy Moua February 24, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Absolutely classy. Love it!

• beautyexprezz February 24, 2013 at 4:07 pm

What do you do to your hair to make it so voluminous? Can you share your hair care and styling routine?

• Olyvia February 24, 2013 at 4:14 pm

What a unique dress! It has sort of a vintage 1940's vibe. I can't believe you were able to alter the dress yourself!

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I love this dress on you Jean! Props for the amazing alteration job.

• Ashley February 24, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Amazing alterations job, did you do yourself?

• lin February 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

i like the alterations you did on the dress. it is different from your typical dress and it's nice to see that. i also appreciate that M + O's pieces are unique and environmental friendly. you look professional yet very fashionable. 😉

• FashionEdible February 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

You are really amazing at alterations! It's not my type of dress but you really did such a great job sizing it.
    FashionEdible Blog

• Aya V February 24, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I love your alteration job!!! How did you manage to raise the waist line and adjust the darts with a thick material like wool? I'm just starting with sewing – inspired by you! I'd appreciate if you can post some pictures of the "insides" of this dress.

• ♥ Natalie February 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Beautiful dress!! <3
    Love how you made it fit!

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Gorgeous as usual!!! You are so cool.

• Amber @ EasyPetiteLooks.com February 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

you did an amazing job with this dress!! completely worth the effort, you look stunning. and i'm happy to see that goyard out and about! i've never bought from that site. i had a huge obsession with those sample-sale type sites for a while, but find that it just takes too much time and effort to check them.

• John Marine February 24, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Jean, you have wonderful style. This teal dress is gorgeous. Your hair is also gorgeous. I like the outfit as a whole, and the chunky wooden heels on these pumps doesn't hurt the outfit.

• Franziska February 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Jean you look beautiful in this dress. The architecture is something that I would definitely shy away from, but with your alterations it looks perfect and genuine on you.

I actually just read your post like 2 days ago about the alterations you had done on this coat. It came at a fitting time because yesterday I thrifted a Burberry jacket for $8. It's not a trench/peacoat, but I'm really excited about. I think I'm going to try to get it taken in just a tiny bit on the sides so hopefully the place I get alterations will do that!

• Julie February 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Love this outfit!

xoxo, Julie @ OBSESSED

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I *did* buy a Chanel chain belt from LX&R;, my overall experience was good, it took a while for the belt to get to me, but the condition was excellent. I do not suspect it is a knock-off, as the craftmanship of the belt very much jives with other Chanel items I've purchased from Chanel itself. I notice that their sample sales don't have tremendous variety, which I actually consider a good thing as there are not a million and one things for sale, which would make me wonder how they get so many wares of the same thing every week.
    I must say though I notice the same things over and over on these sample sale websites (Portero, Madison Avenue Couture, etc.), and I find that Chanel, Hermes, and LV are now way overpriced online. I know the idea behind a vintage luxury item is that it has a story behind it, but it used to be that used items were cheaper than what is in the stores–notsomuch, in my humble opinion.

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 7:33 pm

ditto above. I wonder if the heme line was a tad shorter would it help make it less overwhelming at all….

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm

You look stunning! Glad you didn't mail it back 🙂

• Rachelle February 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm

You look so chic, love the wooden heels.

xo

• Rosie February 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hi, Jean — apologies for being off-topic but I wanted to alert you that someone's using your image to sell the Ann Taylor lace dress.

• mai February 24, 2013 at 9:26 pm

it looks beautiful. such a classic winter look, especially with the coat.

• Suzie Q February 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

You did such an amazing job with the dress alterations! Looks great, I love how you layered a blouse underneath for the collar detail.

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I have to respectfully disagree. I actually love the longer length. I think this is the perfect picture of sophistication for someone who works in a professional setting, but who is also interested in clothing. This is probably my favorite look to date. I am so very impressed by how Jean looks in this dress. Although I am a few years older, and probably should be able to pull off looks like this at work, I am definitely not there yet. Seeing these pictures is very inspirational for me. I realize that Jean is young, but I have noticed as I have gotten older that form-fitting or very short just does not work in the office for me. It is hard to be someone who is interested in style and who works in a formal office, but I think this dress, exactly as it fits on Jean, post-alterations, hits all the right notes.

• Lillian February 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

how do you do your hair??

• Angel February 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I think it's gorgeous on you!

ww.dcstyleboard.blogspot.com

• Mina Yazdi February 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Thank you so much, Jean! We really appreciate the post! You look fabulous and nice job on the alterations! Best, Mina+Olya

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hello Jean,

I think the dress is a beautiful color, however there's something a bit off about it.

I'm unsure if it's the posture or the camera angle, but the shoulders look a tad wide.

The dress overall comes off as a bit matronly. Beautiful, but aging on someone as young as you. In my personal opinion, a scoop neck or lower neckline for the dress would have been more flattering and younger looking. Or perhaps, 3/4 sleeves.

• Tara February 24, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I think it accentuate's Jean's figure and natural air of sophistication well. I have a black wool dress of my grandmother's in a similar style that I love and wear frequently to "business" settings in the winter months. To me, this silhouette is timeless and regal while still remaining office appropriate and ageless.
    It looks lovely on you, Jean! I am especially in love with the colour.

• jenn~the stylish housewife February 24, 2013 at 11:27 pm

i LOVE the shape of this dress. glad to see your alterations did not change the design elements! it is such a unique piece! great job on the alterations!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Anonymous February 24, 2013 at 11:32 pm

The dress itself is a sophisticated, matronly kind of style and the full shoulder certainly makes the dress appears overwhelming and keeping the hemline over the knee will look better on a taller individual to keep the dress proportioned. I think if the hemline at the knee and not over the might help the proportion. just a 2 cents. But Jean looks sophisticated as is….

• newpetite February 25, 2013 at 12:33 am

Amazing DIY on the dress! Taking the waist up with that pattern looks like a lot of work! You look lovely and love how you styled it with the collared shirt!

• Liz February 25, 2013 at 12:50 am

Have you seen their Kelly dress for Spring 2013? AMAZING!! Still, if I could do the alterations myself it'd be one thing, but paying $700 for a dress and then another $200 in alterations is a bit much