Winter casual: Army jacket, ankle boots & vintage Coach

army_navy5

Gap jacket (similar here or here in petite, 60% off w/ USLONGWEEKEND), J.Brand legging jeans sz 24 (similar)
Coach leather court bag from eBay (2012 version), Adrienne Vittadini ankle boots (similar), H&M; scarf

I wore this outfit a while back while visiting the Harpoon brewery (and downing delicious clam chowder afterwards). I love skinny jeans and ankle boots on the weekends, but often face the issue of not having casual enough outerwear to pair up top. My H&M; red peacoat has been worn to near-shreds, so I’ve been eying more short jacket options.

While browsing Gap late last year, I came across a military jacket in sz L that looked like it ran small. The sales associate confirmed that it was a “shrunken fit” style. I really liked the sturdy canvas material, the generous collar, and the traditional design, thus promptly ordered an XS from another store with shipping costs and all. When it arrived, the fit was noticeably big (too long and wide throughout, waistline also too low) but I was sure the 100% cotton would shrink in the dryer. Turns out, it didn’t shrink one bit. I wasn’t eager to blog about this jacket or my overzealousness to throw it into the wash, but have ended up wearing it fairly often despite the fit.
army_navy2
Some of you may remember my review of a slightly similar ASOS option (now over 50% off, and US shoppers can get an extra 15% off w/ code USLONGWEEKEND) which I returned. Although that one definitely fit better, I wanted a higher collar and more rugged canvas material like that of the Gap jacket. Neither are perfect, so I’d love to eventually find a better-fitting replacement (Gap kids, please come out with one again ; ).

army_navy

army_navy4
This Coach court bag is one of my favorite finds last season. I got to catch up with Ali of BonMe food truck, and immediately noticed her purse. The leather looked of great quality, the style was functional & versatile, and the size suited her 5’ tall frame well. I was even more excited when she mentioned that it was around $40 from eBay. It comes a variety of colors, but I browsed patiently until I found one in navy to meet a longtime wardrobe void. In an upcoming post, I hope to share more about Coach’s older leather bag styles plus a review of this specific one.
army_navy3I realize I keep promising requested posts (fixing the rotating skirt, shopping for Hermes belts, Spanx review) that don’t materialize. Progress has been hindered by work lately, so I really appreciate your patience!

Readers – Please share any recommendations for petite-friendly shorter jackets that are casual yet chic!

105 thoughts on “Winter casual: Army jacket, ankle boots & vintage Coach

• Ella Pretty Blog January 17, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I wanted an army green jacket ever since I saw pictures of Rachel Bilson pairing EVERYTHING with her military coat with fur collar. Apparently hers is a boy's coat from GAP. Inspired by her – I picked up a size 16 boys military jacket from Walmart (I think it's the GEORGE brand) – I'm 5'4 and it fits perfectly! My friend loved my jacket and was amazed when I told her it cost less than $20 – she's under 5' and got the size 14 boys jacket – definitely worth checking out 🙂

• Becca Friedman January 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm

AHHH i have been dying for a jacket exactly like that forever! if you find one you like better, i will happily buy that one off you!! <3

• Ella Pretty Blog January 17, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I found a pic of my jacket – am including a link here – hope it's ok – feel free to delete if not 🙂

• ordinary waves January 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I love this casual outfit (probably because I love and own several military style jackets!). I really like how you paired it with those ankle boots!

• Jessy January 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Yay for the casual outfit! I love hat crossbody bag. I may have to start looking for the same one myself. The style, shape, and minimalist design are perfect for me. I wonder if it comes in burgundy? ahhh!

• simplybeccablog January 17, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Love this outfit! Also that's for introducing the coach bag, I've been eyeing similar styled but much more expensive Marc Jacobs bags :)! I too love the material of my GAP military jacket, strangely it was acquired in 2010 in GAP women's section, the material and colour is very and very similar to yours.

• FashionEdible January 17, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I actually love that jacket on you! I think it looks great 🙂 And I love how you paired it with that classic Coach bag. Chic and tough combined.

-FashionEdible

• Petite-ish January 17, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Haha, I tried on that jacket. Fiance immediately vetoed and I eventually settled on the asos one. We bought those 2 jackets in reverse order! Anyhoo, I sympathize about the work being front and center lately 😉

• Rachelle January 17, 2013 at 11:34 pm

This casual look is great, I'm 5'4 and I got the J.Crew downtown field boyfriend jacket, they have it in navy and army green http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/blazers/sale/PRDOVR~19034/19034.jsp.
    And you can readjust the waist. Hope you find this helpful.

xo

• Janki January 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm

The jacket is cute! I like its casual vibe, as sometimes my car coat looks too dressed up. It reminds me of a barn coat my husband had back when we were dating. That coach bag is really a great deal…we will all be heading to eBay. I've wanted a small cross body bag since I have kids, but haven't kind one I liked.
    This sounds weird, but I love the smiley pictures you took…nice to see your personality shine through.

• Phoebe January 18, 2013 at 12:18 am

I actually think that jacket looks great on you! It's got a purposefully oversized, borrowed-from-the-boy kind of look!

• Monkey January 18, 2013 at 1:09 am

I think the oversized look really works with this style of jacket more than a fitted style would. It looks really modern and intentional in my opinion.

• annie January 18, 2013 at 1:23 am

i dont think this jacket is meant to be fitted. i think loose fit the way to go. have you styled it w/ your mainline boots? i think it will look great pair together.

• annie January 18, 2013 at 1:24 am

is** paired**

• Mary Ann January 18, 2013 at 1:28 am

Thanks for the heads up on the vintage Coach bags! I've been eyeing that style and would prefer to buy vintage, but didn't realize they could be had for so cheap! Will definitely keep my eye on eBay! 😉

• Stephanie Lam January 18, 2013 at 1:58 am

Love love how the scarf adds a feminine touch to this outfit!!

-Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

• Emily M January 18, 2013 at 1:59 am

Adore your casual outfit! I like the loose fit of your jacket, it suits you well! 🙂

-thefashionfare

• Meize Mouse January 18, 2013 at 2:19 am

Check out Topshop for their khaki jackets! They have quite a few. I bought this one

although it was more than I wanted to pay to try it out, I got a $40 f21 one that just looked awful. A good khaki jacket is hard to come by so I decided to keep it. It goes with so much!

• sequins from life January 18, 2013 at 3:17 am

Nice look 😉

• Naomi January 18, 2013 at 3:38 am

Great bag! And hair cut~

The Occasional Indulgence

• bibi January 18, 2013 at 4:01 am

that`s a awesome casual outfit 🙂

• Jane January 18, 2013 at 6:32 am

I love your style and your resourcefulness. This blog has really helped me style my outfits for both work and play – i was very uncoordinated before :). Anyways, Did you happen to be at SFO around dec 23rd? I may have seen you!

Cheers from Sydney.

• Kimberly January 18, 2013 at 6:47 am

Love seeing you in more casual looks like this – really adore those booties! Are they fairly comfortable? I've been looking for a pair with a heel in that color 🙂

• Zoe January 18, 2013 at 8:03 am

I got my first Coach bag for Christmas – i'm just wondering what's the best way to protect it – i have a leather conditioner from coach – but I keep catching my nails on it resulting in tiny scratches? Any thoughts?

• lisacng @ expandng.com January 18, 2013 at 9:08 am

Looking adorable in these photos! Love the skinnies with ankle booties and even though the jacket isn't perfect by your standards, I think it looks great in the photos. Great Coach find on ebay. Can't wait to read all about it.

• Rosie January 18, 2013 at 9:19 am

How funny — I just bought a vintage Coach on ebay last week! I saw a girl on the T with the most gorgeous clean-lined, cross-body leather bag and I recognized the turnlock as Coach. I loved it so much that I immediately went to eBay and found one. I managed to win it for $40 and also noticed on the Coach website that the bag is a "Willis" and is currently selling for $300! Franlkly, I prefer the patina and worn-in look that the actual vintage bags have to Coach's brand-new "vintage" styles.

For others looking for good deals on vintage coach, I've noticed that there are sometimes better deals on bags if you search without the bag name (e.g., Willis or Court).

• Sparks In Spring January 18, 2013 at 9:27 am

I love the new collection of colorful leather from Coach as well, classic style. But its always good to find better deals online!

x Sparks In Spring

• S. January 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

I found a green jacket much like that from Madewell. It's not a petite, but the XS fit surprisingly like one (ie. the pockets lined up properly, the sleeves were perfect, the belt hits at the right spot.) It was certainly an investment purchase, but I love it and it's much warmer and sturdier than similar jackets that I've seen.

I have a vintage Willis bag in mahogany that I bought through eBay for $60. I'm so pleased with the quality and the size. I had my local leather guy punch in a few extra holes because the strap was too long, but otherwise it's great!

• Rosie January 18, 2013 at 9:36 am

I forgot to say that jacket looks great on you. I think that style looks better slightly oversized and not fitted.

• Always Maylee January 18, 2013 at 10:18 am

I love the jacket and scarf, so cute together. And I love that 2nd photo of you, you look gorgeous!

xo, Yi-chia

• Tina January 18, 2013 at 11:26 am

One of my favorites lately! So casual chic and so put together! LOVE!

• Midnight Cowgirl January 18, 2013 at 11:51 am

Love your jacket!

• Candice January 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Hi Jean,

Cute jacket! You can try browsing dailylook's website for jackets.

• Isabel January 18, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I am not petite but I have a Massimo Dutti military jacket that I love. It may be worthwhile checking them out in the spring, after all Spanish women are quite petite.

• Amber @ EasyPetiteLooks.com January 18, 2013 at 1:00 pm

just posted a review on j. crew's boyfriend fatigue jacket (this year's version) here. its really cute, but not willing to pay full price (ever, lol)

• GEMMA January 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Love this look! Looking great:)

Come say HI: http://www.gemmamonclus.blogspot.com

Love, Gemma

• LitLaur January 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I think it's ok despite the slightly too-large fit since it's a casual piece. The way you styled it, cuffed with layers and skinny jeans, makes it work. I have a similar jacket from American Eagle with similar problems. The sleeve length is what bothers me most, but it's not worth altering. I still wear it quite often when it's chilly but not freezing.

• Anonymous January 18, 2013 at 2:39 pm

The leather of most Coach products is pretty nice and will self-heal. I have a small black clutch that I scratch from time to time. The natural oil from my hands seems to heal any scratches and keep the leather looking very nice.

• Midori January 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm

old coach is so much better than new coach, man. love the bag.

• Tara January 18, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I love this look! I am so jealous of your ankle boots. I've been looking for a similar pair for awhile but I'm stick on a starving college student's budget. The other problem is that I find that my feet seem to scrunch down into the toe of ankle boots and I end up crushing my toes throughout the day! I would love to hear your suggestions on that problem…I've been thinking that inserts may help give me a little more grip on a sharp incline heel, but I'm not sure if I should bother.