California Winter: Cheery reds + silk printed scarf

red and camel

Ann Taylor pants (similar in wool starting in 00P for $35, similar in straight cut for $30)
J.Crew Mona pumps + schoolboy blazer, thrifted silk scarf (similar), AT clutch thanks to Sydney

When decked out in solid basics, adding a printed scarf can instantly polish up the outfit. I wore this with gold pointy flats during the day for strolling around, and slipped into heels for dinner and drinks. I hastily under-packed for the holidays and ended up wearing this blazer almost every day. The color and cut have proven to be very versatile, but I still can’t wait to find a better one that doesn’t crinkle in the sleeves.
red and camel2
This is my first pair of J.Crew pumps after trying on several styles, and I would say their shoes consistently run a little smaller than most brands. The 5.5s I got fit just like Ann Taylor perfect pumps in size 5. They are fairly comfortable, but the perfect pumps still reign supreme for me for long-term comfort. The Mona pumps are currently $70 on final sale w/ code STYLE2013, with some small sizes left in suede colors.

In my trusty Thinsulate lady day coat (select colors in petite & regular now on sale for $98 w/STYLE2013)

red and camel3

red and camel5
I am jumping the gun and filing this outfit under “Spring,” as that’s probably the next time I’ll be baring my ankles back home in New England. Today’s commuting conditions were a delightful 7 degrees Fahrenheit – oh how I envy west coast / southern fashion bloggers.red and camel1
red and camel4
I almost forgot to note that the J.Crew Mona pumps have smooth, hard soles which almost caused quite the spill for me on a carpeted walkway : ) In comparison, I’ve mentioned before that Ann Taylor changed their perfect pump soles this year from leather to synthetic with ridges. They also lowered the retail price point from $155 to $128 (plus there are frequent sales), which has not seemed to appease online reviewers demanding the old version be brought back. Personally, I haven’t tried this year’s classic pp’s but don’t imagine I have dainty feet that can sense leather soles from synthetic. For those who have tried them, please share your thoughts on whether you noticed a difference in quality!

58 thoughts on “California Winter: Cheery reds + silk printed scarf

• Julia January 4, 2013 at 12:25 am

Coming back from the Caribbean Islands to the mid-atlantic after Christmas with a heavy snow next day, I totally know how you feel! I am sure you can still pull off an outfit like this with a winter coat in the same color instead of a blazer. The colors are perfect to warm up the New England winter!

• Alterations Needed January 4, 2013 at 12:33 am

I remember this outfit…hehe. Hope you didn't have to de-fur too much after Clinton got ahold of you. =)

• ordinary waves January 4, 2013 at 12:40 am

Oh my! I love that outfit! I love how the scarf picks up the color from the pants.

• Claire January 4, 2013 at 12:58 am

Hello, I just came across your blog and I love the ensamble! Do you mind sharing the size of your scarf? I'm also happen to be a petite (5'1") and it's hard to find a rectangular/square scarf that doesn't "dwarf" me. Thanks for the info!

• Kiwi January 4, 2013 at 1:03 am

Wow I love this outfit! I love the bold red =D

• Dmitri January 4, 2013 at 1:06 am

where is your shirt from? i love the entire ensemble, especially the nail polish! what a lovely touch~

• PetiteAsianGirl January 4, 2013 at 1:23 am

Hi Claire – it's 28" x 28," and I actually prefer a little bigger for more draping surface. I have one that is 33" x 33" and love it.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 4, 2013 at 1:23 am

Thank you! It's from H&M; basics … I have many tees from there that have held up decently.

• PetiteAsianGirl January 4, 2013 at 1:24 am

Clinton is the BEST – no smell, no shedding!

• Anonymous January 4, 2013 at 1:33 am

Hi Jean, what color is that lipstick? So natural and cute. Thanks

• SewPetiteGal January 4, 2013 at 1:48 am

The camel looks so pretty with red! Hope you had a wonderful trip west and are settling in back home nicely 🙂

Though warmer than Boston, not all of the west coast is ankle-baring friendly. It was 30 degrees this morning and I actually had to de-ice my car!

• jenn~the stylish housewife January 4, 2013 at 1:50 am

it's so funny…because i am envious of east coast bloggers who are so good at layering! layering is definitely not my strong suit. =) btw, i'm LOVING those red pants! i am on the hunt for a great pair myself.

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Carolines Day January 4, 2013 at 2:05 am

As a native Southerner, my biggest learning curve has been learning to layer! My best fashion attempts are definitely warm weather outfits.

• LC January 4, 2013 at 2:08 am

I agree with the JCrew sizing. They run a bit smaller. Got my Mona pumps for about $190 when I thought they were a good deal on sale. But damn, it is so cheap now!

• Debora January 4, 2013 at 3:26 am

Loving the brightness of your pants! They make a day feel so much warmer! Hopefully it starts warming up for you (I'm just wishing that it doesn't get too hot here – down under lol).

• Carol Li January 4, 2013 at 4:37 am

Camel & red is such a great colour combination. The scarf really helps to pull the outfit together.

Living in the UK, I get so jealous sometimes of the US weather when it's wet & cold outside.

• Emily January 4, 2013 at 7:51 am

I don't have the Ann Taylor pumps, but I was just wondering about the rubber vs. leather sole issue yesterday. I had rubber soles put onto a pair of Cole Haan pumps with leather soles after the soles got worn out (and yet were somehow still slippery) after only two months of wear. What do people generally say the benefits of leather soles are?

• Christina January 4, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love your nail polish color! What are you wearing?

• Elissa January 4, 2013 at 8:48 am

I love how you were able to pair grey and camel together – I was in a predicament yesterday where I had to go to court and I was wearing purple pants w/ camel and I keep grey dress pants in my car for emergencies but I thought I'd look ridiculous wearing grey pants with a camel blazer. Now I know I probably wouldn't have looked bad at all!

-Elissa

• Rachelle January 4, 2013 at 9:29 am

I love this outfit, I have that camel blazer and I love it. As far as classic work pumps I prefer to get the Cole Haan ones, they are a bit more pricey but they have the nike air technology and they will last you years and years.

xo

• Janki January 4, 2013 at 9:42 am

You look so cute. I like the use of the scarf, as most of my pieces are solids and can look a little boring. I was able to score the PP with the leather soles last year. However I have shoes with rubber/synthetic soles and honestly I can't tell the difference. I've even read that you may need to add those "cat paw" sole covers to the leather bottoms to protect them. I wonder if the commotion about the soles is in perception of quality.
    I grew up in SF where it's all about layering since the climate can change within a few blocks. Now I live in Central Texas where we can wear shorts 9 months of the year. Today, it's the coldest day so far, reaching a low of 37. Naturally we are all bundled. If I can a Thinsulate coat, I'd be wearing it. I'm sure those temps makes a Bostonite snicker, wearing just a light jacket.
    Once I get all my clothes altered, I'm so buying a camel blazer. It's adorable!

• Kathleen Lisson January 4, 2013 at 10:08 am

Lovely look. I like how you matched the scarf to the pant. I pinned it to my scarves board on pinterest!

• Always Maylee January 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

I love this outfit on you, especially the color of those pants. That jacket looks perfect too. So pretty! Happy new year!

xo, Yi-chia

• lisacng @ expandng.com January 4, 2013 at 10:27 am

I love H&M; basics too! Great whole outfit. The grey is a nice touch and you are right, no bare ankles for us east coasters, boo :(. I can't believe you fit a blazer under the coat without looking bulky! Good job!

• FashionEdible January 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

So pretty! The color, the shoes, the scarf, everything! Sometimes I envy those southern bloggers too – must be nice to be able to wear shorts with a sweater 🙂

FashionEdible

• Pink Camera Girl January 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Hi Jean! I am new to blogging for petite women. You are an inspiration!

• maryeb January 4, 2013 at 12:39 pm

The coat looks so lovely with your outfit. I'm surprised the sleeves fit over the jacket. Did you go up a size or two in the coat?

• Jackie January 4, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I love the colors! I almost bought those pants in orange XD

• 99 Boxes of Shoes on the Wall January 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Love the outfit! Great way to brighten a winter day (although I am sure it was lovely on the west coast!)

Kamola

• Bára Rektorová January 4, 2013 at 2:22 pm

It is chic and beautiful! Love it:-)

• Michelle January 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

The brights look great on you. Love that clutch…it is perfect for travel since there is no obvious gold/silver hardware…will go with whatever jewelry you bring.

What brand of shirt are you wearing? It looks like a really comfy tee that I would love to try!

Will we get to see your meet up with Kelly (and Clinton) pictures?

Hope you and Nick enjoyed your holidays! 🙂

• lin January 4, 2013 at 2:46 pm

great outfit. i've always thought you looked fab in red. 😉

i just purchased a jcrew coat because of your blog and reviews on them. hopefully it'll work out. *fingers crossed*

• Queen Bee of Beverly Hills- Designer Handbags January 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm

You are gorgeous, dear! I really love reading through your blog (it's one of my favorites I must add). I usually just sit back and read, but I just had to let you know how much I admired your outfit and that clutch/handbag.

Keep up the great work! 🙂

XOXO
    Queen Bee of Beverly Hills, CEO

blog.queenbeeofbeverlyhills.com

• Petite Adventures January 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm

So chic – love the colour of your pants!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• Steffi January 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I really like how bright and cheery the red is and the camel gives a classic touch. Great outfit (as usual) 🙂

• Leslie January 4, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Mentioning pumps (with an focus on the Ann Taylor perfect pumps and their current block heel pumps), how snugly should they fit (esp. if one is wearing tights or hose)? Like should there be a gap in the back at all?

(should I go with (1) snug lengthwise, perhaps toes squeezed slightly, and wait for the shoes to stretch or (2) slight gap in the back, and get ball of foot cushion?)

• Melanie January 5, 2013 at 4:13 am

I really like this outfit! It is so casual and so stylish 🙂

Love xx
    Melanie ~ http://www.mlncrd.com

• Ainara January 5, 2013 at 10:59 am

hello!I love your style and all your outfits!! love and kissess from spain!!

• Miss City Chic January 5, 2013 at 1:44 pm