J.Crew Wool Cashmere Icon Trench

Just wanted to share a belated, quickie review of a J.Crew coat I tried on earlier this season. I have always had a soft spot for pretty coats because they bring a little joy to dreary winters, and am willing to spend more for a special piece. I used to splurge almost annually on a designer coat, but have been so pleased with lady day coats that I turned to J.Crew once again.

I was looking for a classic camel coat, and was hopeful that one of these would be a winner. However, I was underwhelmed by both and am now passively looking for new options.
jcrewcamel

First up is the icon trench in wool-cashmere which comes in 3 colors. This pretty much met all of my requirements on paper, but in-person it made me feel a little like Friar Tuck.

Sizing & fit: Un-belted, this coat is boxy with no waist shaping whatsoever. As a result, the amount of fabric at the mid-section causes unsightly bunching from all angles after the belt is tied. The chest and hips were slightly roomy on me, but could be filled up by layers in the winter. The shoulder width felt fine, but looks a smidge wide from the back. If you like every other aspect of this coat, the torso might be able to be tapered in by a good tailor for $50-$60.
jcrewcamel1
Material: The camel wool material was “felt-like” to the touch and didn’t feel as luxurious as the description would lead you to hope.
jcrewcamel5
Design & quality: Aside from the shapeless waist and average material, I liked the design and details of this coat. It bodes trench features that I like, such as a double-breasted front, shoulder epaulettes,  tortoiseshell buttons, and belt with leather-covered buckle. It felt moderately heavy and warm (more so than the next one, at least), but just didn’t “wow” me…

Interiors – Top: Icon trench in wool-cashmere. Bottom: Double-cloth slim trench.
jcrewcamel6
Next up is the double-cloth slim trench in “camel”, starting at $280 and left in 5 colors:
jcrewcamel4
Sizing & Fit: The fit of this jacket felt very similar to lady day coats from previous years, except it is a few inches shorter in total length. I am on the fence about the shorter length, but havea strange complaint – the belt is disproportionately wide for its length! As some readers warned me, the belt was also much too short for tying casually, which I love to do with coat belts. Unlike the icon trench, this coat does have a slight hourglass shape and is more fitted in the torso. And good news for longer-armed petite ladies – the sleeve length is about an inch longer than lady day coats from past years.
jcrewcamel3
Material: The material feels exactly the same as double-cloth coats from past years, however contains less wool and more nylon than prior years. In 2010 and 2011, J.Crew’s double cloth was comprised of 94% wool, 6% nylon. This one was maybe 80% wool, 20% nylon (I wrote the exact % down before returning and unfortunately lost it – if anyone knows, please share in a comment!). This coat is also not available with Thinsulate lining, which both of my lady day coats have. The material felt noticeably less warm so I don’t think it’d be able to sustain Northeast winters.

Below – trying to tie the belt casually but all I could get was a little nublin. I don’t think it would stay put like that.
jcrewcamel2
Design & quality: I think this coat is a good option for anyone who doesn’t own the lady day coat, and prefers a shorter, belted version. After I saw this in-person, I realized it was much too similar to my existing lady day coats to warrant keeping. The single-breasted front, the collar shape, the curved seaming on the torso, and of course the material – all super similar. The quality is good aside from the small decline in material composition over the years.

Compare of the Icon Trench vs. the Slim Trench:
jcrewcamel7

Measurements of both, per J.Crew live chat (I forgot to verify these by measuring on my own – sorry!):

Icon Trench in Wool-Cashmere (above pic, lying on the bottom): chest circumference: 33.5,” waist circumference: 32,” hip circumference: 34.5,” sweep circumference: 44,” across shoulder: 14,” center back sleeve length: 29.125,” and center back length: 34.75.”

Double-Cloth slim trench (above pic, lying on top): chest circumference: 33.5,” waist circumference: 30.75,” hip circumference: 37.5,” sweep circumference: 42.25,” across shoulder: 13.5,” center back sleeve length: 29.125,” and center back length: 31.25.”

So in summary, the Icon Trench is wider in the waist, hips, shoulder (slightly), and longer in length than the Slim Trench.

Compare of the Slim Trench (on top) vs. last year’s Lady Day coat (on the bottom):

jcrewcamel8

Readers – Have you tried either of these coats? If so, what are your thoughts?

63 thoughts on “J.Crew Wool Cashmere Icon Trench

• Emilie November 1, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I was considering getting one of those. I'm glad I got to read your review before ordering! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• MizzJ November 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Hmm both are quite nice, but I think I prefer the Lady Day Coat as I found the double breasted one looked too boxy. Too bad about the belt – could you switch it out for a longer one?

• Julia November 2, 2012 at 12:10 am

I have the double-cloth slim trench (review for the Navy one here if you want to see the difference)and I am very impressed by the fit. None of the other J. Crew coats I've tried before had a better fit than this one. If anyone who is looking for a coat that is well fitted rather than being able to layer up multiple sweaters inside(maybe for the new england folks :p), then this is a good option to consider.

• Anonymous November 2, 2012 at 12:21 am

The lady day coat looks more better, a more polish and better fit. I would not return it because of a belt. The other coat looks boxier and a little big for a small frame.

• Jen November 2, 2012 at 12:48 am

Great trench coats. I especially love the second one. <3

xoxo
    Sexy Little Things

• rach November 2, 2012 at 12:51 am

please blog more. i don't know what to buy w/o your reccommendations. US retail sales need u 🙂

• Ngoc N November 2, 2012 at 1:01 am

I just got my dress coat in Viridian green in the mail today. LOVE IT! Jcrew is the best.

• Helen November 2, 2012 at 1:10 am

Very classic coat. Love the green color.

• Anonymous November 2, 2012 at 1:57 am

thanks for posting your reviews of the coats, jean! i had tried on both coats myself and ended up keeping the wool-cashmere trench (i tried it on in Navy)and returning the slim trench(tried on in Navy and Maroon). you're right in that the wool-cashmere trench is boxier (although I think it looks a bit slimmer in Navy than it does in Camel bc of the color), but i loved the heaviness of it and the material felt much more luxurious to me than the slim trench (especially since both were around the same price range during the 25% off sale).

• Ursula November 2, 2012 at 2:08 am

What size are you trying on?

• Sabrina November 2, 2012 at 2:33 am

They are both pretty, I think! I wouldn't care about the shapelessness of the first one, the belt makes up for it! I so wanted to buy a coat this year, I love beautiful coats too, but it just didn't happen! But doesn't matter anyway, I've got too many to count already! 😉

x
    Sabrina

• Carol Li November 2, 2012 at 3:56 am

The second coat looks better on you than the first one. I'm glad you didn't get either as they both weren't right 🙂

• Karin's Kloset November 2, 2012 at 7:49 am

You are very talented with tailoring your clothes! The jacket ended up fitting you perfectly!!

Come visit my blog!!!

• Anonymous November 2, 2012 at 9:34 am

你长得好像梁静茹MV 里的女主角。歌名叫”会过去的” youtube

• Ally November 2, 2012 at 10:09 am

I have the icon trench in wool-cashmere in the cabernet color and absolutely love it! I think it looks great on you, but I think you look better in the other coat. Quick question, how do you tie the belt like the way you did on the icon trench? I've been trying but can't seem to figure it out! Thanks!

• Always Maylee November 2, 2012 at 10:11 am

I've been searching for some new winter coats and was considering these. Thanks for the reviews! What size are you wearing for these? Also, what do you normally do when the coat fits your body, but the sleeves are too long? Do you just get them altered?

xo, Yi-chia

• the-glitter-life.com November 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

Thanks for the tips! Are you keeping either of them?

Check out our Friday Five on The Glitter Life! http://the-glitter-life.com/2012/11/02/friday-five-12/

• lisacng @ expandng.com November 2, 2012 at 11:18 am

I always appreciate your thoughtful reviews!

• Anonymous November 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Great review. Just one question, are these meaasurements based on 0P or 00P?

• Law Moda November 2, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I do love those lady day coats. And in all those bright colors, they're to die for!

lawmoda.blogspot.com

• Christie November 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Aside from the cut of the coat, the color and quality seems very nice. Love your blog.

xx,

• Gini November 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Totally off topic, but your phone case is AWESOME! Ohh, the good old days of Nintendo!

• kimmie November 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for your awesome reviews as always, Jean! I was debating on getting the slim trench, but I felt the buckle for the belt was too flimsy feeling. I think I might just stick with getting a lady day coat since they're pretty similar. 🙂

• bluevalentine November 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Oy, I just ordered the Icon trench in navy. It was on sale for $212 Canadian, so I had to jump on it even though I couldn't try it on and it was final sale. I tried on the Boulevard trench for sizing, and a 00R seemed to be a good size (I'm on the taller side of petite, with longish arms). Jean, may I ask what size those two you tried on are? I agree that the coat looks too boxy and big on you, but I'm hoping that a similar size will fit better on my bigger frame.

• Suzie Q November 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Great review, Jean! I like the fit more of the second coat, but the trench features of the first coat. Good luck searching for your perfect camel trench this year =)

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Julia November 2, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Btw, the double-cloth was comprised of 75% wool and 25% nylon. You guess was close enough!

• Anonymous November 3, 2012 at 6:58 am

I think you should check out Reiss (it's a Britain-based chain store) if you want a good wool coat. I love the quality and the lines/silhouette of their clothes.

• Divya November 3, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I love your blog. The first coat is def too big. If not for the short belt coat #2 fit well, I actually like the shorter length. I just purchased my first j crew coat last month. I got the lady day coat in 0R. The petite sleeves were WAY too long. I actually ordered a 0P 2P and 0R before deciding on the 0R. I'm 5'2 and usually 105 pounds. I'm currently 6 months pregnant and instead of craving food, I've been addicted to shopping. So I really hope the coat fits perfectly after baby.

• Divya November 3, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I meant way too short in the above post!

• Anonymous November 4, 2012 at 12:14 am

What color is your shoe, patent beige or bisque?

• bluevalentine November 4, 2012 at 3:39 am

I thought I remembered you doing a review of this coat once before and found it by googling "extrapetite icon trench." I might just be seeing things, but I think last year's coat looked like a better fit. For some reason I can't link to your older post, but the one you had before was a 0P. I wonder if the coat in this post is the same size? Hopefully the sizes aren't getting bigger.

• Xiaoming Li November 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Thank you for the review, What size are you wearing in the pictures? I'm 5'2 and107 pounds, not sure which size I should get.

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm

THanks, Julia!

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm

00 Petite

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Hi Ally – I did a quick belt tying tutorial in this video http://www.extrapetite.com/2011/10/all-about-belts-how-to-tie-hole-punch.html

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Yep – almost all my coats (aside from the J.Crew ones) have had the sleeves altered. It can cost from $25-$40.

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:03 pm

The measurements were given to me by J.Crew for a size 00P.

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Hi there – sorry for not making this clear, but I'm trying on 00P in both. Good luck with your coat!

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for the rec – we have a Reiss store in Boston and I've popped in a few times.

• PetiteAsianGirl November 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Hi there – mine are actually an older version gifted from a friend, so I am unsure of the color name. They are not patent, but they also don't look exactly like the bisque, so the colors might change over the years.