Autumn at Work: Pumpkin swing jacket + hunter green lace

orange_hunter4

H&M; swing jacket (similar), Gap bow blouse (similar), Ann Taylor lace pencil skirt (similar)
As stores are currently saturated with burgundy, Iโ€™ve been enjoying other autumn color favorites in my existing wardrobe. This time of the year, I love wearing rustic orangeor pumpkin- almost as much as others love their pumpkin spice lattes. The color reminds me of fall foliage at its peak…which is sadly very short-lived.

orange_hunter
Orange is a color I don’t see on many women (probably have Elle Woods to blame), but can be fairly easy to pair. Just stick with shades that are less stark (like Halloween orange + black) and color combinations that appear naturally. Safe pairings include hunter green, brown / neutrals, or a soft ivory. Referencing my trusty color wheel, neighboring colors like red or yellow can create bold yet harmonious combinations that are still reminiscent of nature, like turning leaves.
Over the years, I’ve also loved wearing this jacket with prints, whether itโ€™s basic black & white, a retro-inspired shift, or an earthy houndstooth skirt.
orange_hunter3
orange_hunter5
orange_hunter2 orange_hunter1

Apologies for the progressively grainier and darker photos – as the days are getting shorter, good lighting before or after work is hard to come by!

Readers – Have you been embracing orange for fall? If so, how do you style it?

95 thoughts on “Autumn at Work: Pumpkin swing jacket + hunter green lace

• Anonymous October 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm

the colors match perfectly! you're beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚ i can't wait to pick something that shade of orange !

-Cora

• lin October 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

i love this outfit and your hair. do you use the bump it for this? i know what you mean about the colors burgundy/maroon being all over the stores. i'm going to have to try some of the other colors for fall. another great outfit, jean. very inspirational. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• simplybeccablog October 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

๐Ÿ˜€ Love every piece of your outfit. It's great when you follow your favourite blogger and know the history of each piece of the outfit from previous posts! My favourite piece is definitely the emerald jeweled bracelet!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hi lin – yes! I use that thing all the time : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Aw, thank you Becca for reading over the years!

• CoastWithMe October 22, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Always so chic, elegant, and classy! Love your tie front blouse and orange blazer! Beautiful girl:)!

• Kisti Belle October 23, 2012 at 12:17 am

Beautiful! I especially love your accessories ๐Ÿ™‚

• HL October 23, 2012 at 12:18 am

My favorite pairing of the 3 in my opinion, mostly because I'm partial to green! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Love your blog, Jean!

• The Watt October 23, 2012 at 12:23 am

love the hairdo! i bought the bump thing you recommended, but my hair is too thin to conceal it. alas! enjoying your blog as always!

• The Watt October 23, 2012 at 12:24 am

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 12:26 am

Jean, I love your blog and get super excited when a new post goes up! You look stunning, as usual, and I can't wait to see more of your winter outfits. You're truly an inspiration!

• Natasha xoxo October 23, 2012 at 12:27 am

I've always loved that orange swing jacket!

xo, tasha
    Enter to win a statement necklace + bracelet set

• Jocelyn October 23, 2012 at 1:14 am

Ladies…you don't need the bump-it to create a bump nor tease your hair. I part my hair into two, the front for laying over the layer behind it. The layer behind it, I roll it (however big or small you want the height at) and bobby pin it…almost like a victory curl. Lay the front layer over the roll/curl/bump and bobby pin it at the back of the roll.

• Mary Ann October 23, 2012 at 1:15 am

I love the hairstyle, Jean – has a fun vintage vibe to it. I also think the darker/grainier photos adds some neat ambiance to the pics! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Lulu October 23, 2012 at 1:18 am

Your style is absolutely impeccable, as always. That skirt is incredible!

• Sophia October 23, 2012 at 1:26 am

Loving the hair! You should put it up more ๐Ÿ™‚

• MizzJ October 23, 2012 at 2:14 am

Gorgeous! Orange really is an under-appreciated color.

• SIENA.STYLE October 23, 2012 at 2:24 am

love this look!
    kisses from Milano

• Sabrina October 23, 2012 at 2:26 am

Loving the skirt! How do you pull off a swing jacket at work? I really want to wear one of the about ten I own, but I always feel like I forgot to take off my coat… :/

x
    Sabrina

• Jeetly petite October 23, 2012 at 2:34 am

Brilliant combination, the jacket is a very good colour.

• SW October 23, 2012 at 2:39 am

Jean you've inspired me to wear something orange!

• Megan October 23, 2012 at 2:46 am

Weird question– Do you do anything special with your legs? They look amazing and I'd love to know your secrets, if you have any. ๐Ÿ™‚ haha!

• apairofshoesforeveryday October 23, 2012 at 4:05 am

I absolutely love orange for the fall as well. I like pairing orange with burgundy and browns. Recently, I've been obsessing about pairing it with oxblood colored blouses or shirts and dark colored pants and gold-tone accessories. Take care and thanks for another wonderful blog post.

• petitestyleonlinedotcom October 23, 2012 at 4:10 am

I love the autumnal shades that you have used. Perfect colour combinations!

• Wendy's Lookbook October 23, 2012 at 4:30 am

Love this pairing Jean! And the lighting gives it such a romantic vintage vibe! Beautiful!

• m October 23, 2012 at 4:55 am

the blush and orange pair so beautifully together!

• Kimberly October 23, 2012 at 6:25 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 7:31 am

hi jean! i really really love following your posts! totally love how you match your outfits and i'm loving your style! your hair is sooo gorgeous they look so shiny , care to share your hair routine? do you go for those hair treatments?

• Kat October 23, 2012 at 7:47 am

Orange is my favorite color ๐Ÿ™‚ I tend to pair fall orange with navy most often.

• Alice October 23, 2012 at 8:27 am

Long-time lurker here, but I was going to comment on how I was enjoying the darker/grainier photos. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Any tips on how to tie such a nice ponytail, Jean?

• Aishoo October 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

Love your hair here! Please do a post or video of how you make it look so good ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

Great outfit, Jean! And your hair is perfectly poofed! ๐Ÿ™‚ I love your nail color–would you happen to remember the name of it? Thanks!

• Rosie October 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

I love the dark photos, even before I saw your comment at the bottom of the post. They have a vintage feel.

• Always Maylee October 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

What a gorgeous orange jacket. I love it paired with the green lace skirt. You always look so classy and chic. And that bracelet is stunning!

xo, Yi-chia

• The_Leather_Skirt_Blog October 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

Incredible ensemble! Flawless!

You are so right about the color orange but I have to admit… I am HUGE burgundy fan, too! Hee Hee

LOVE this outfit! That skirt is amazing!

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

You look stunning as always Jean!!! You always manage to put a great outfit together!!

• lisacng @ expandng.com October 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

I personally love the grainy, vintage-y photos! And your hair is awesome!!!! How'd you do it? Bump? And love the orange ensemble without looking Halloween-y.

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

hi Jean, can this out fit be paired with black or camel bag?

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

It's great to see bloggers reuse items in different ways over time, but I was curious about your opinions on re-wearing the same item(s) within the same week. Obviously, for sanitation reasons, underwear is changed every day, but especially during colder months when I don't perspire as much, I like to get a few more uses out of clothing items before I throw them in the wash. For one, it is more environmentally friendly, but sometimes (okay, most of the time) I just don't have the time and energy to come up with a completely new outfit everyday. At what point is it weird to keep wearing the same item(s) on repeat during the week? Does anyone else even notice? I find I don't really notice or care about what or how often other people wear things, so maybe no one really notices or cares about how often I reuse things within in the same week? Any thoughts? Other reader opinions would be appreciated, too! ๐Ÿ™‚ I'd be curious to see a week's series of outfits and what items you use repeatedly during the week. Thanks!