Autumn at Work: Pumpkin swing jacket + hunter green lace

orange_hunter4

H&M; swing jacket (similar), Gap bow blouse (similar), Ann Taylor lace pencil skirt (similar)
As stores are currently saturated with burgundy, I’ve been enjoying other autumn color favorites in my existing wardrobe. This time of the year, I love wearing rustic orangeor pumpkin- almost as much as others love their pumpkin spice lattes. The color reminds me of fall foliage at its peak…which is sadly very short-lived.

orange_hunter
Orange is a color I don’t see on many women (probably have Elle Woods to blame), but can be fairly easy to pair. Just stick with shades that are less stark (like Halloween orange + black) and color combinations that appear naturally. Safe pairings include hunter green, brown / neutrals, or a soft ivory. Referencing my trusty color wheel, neighboring colors like red or yellow can create bold yet harmonious combinations that are still reminiscent of nature, like turning leaves.
Over the years, I’ve also loved wearing this jacket with prints, whether it’s basic black & white, a retro-inspired shift, or an earthy houndstooth skirt.
orange_hunter3
orange_hunter5
orange_hunter2 orange_hunter1

Apologies for the progressively grainier and darker photos – as the days are getting shorter, good lighting before or after work is hard to come by!

Readers – Have you been embracing orange for fall? If so, how do you style it?

95 thoughts on “Autumn at Work: Pumpkin swing jacket + hunter green lace

• Anonymous October 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm

the colors match perfectly! you're beautiful 🙂 i can't wait to pick something that shade of orange !

-Cora

• lin October 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

i love this outfit and your hair. do you use the bump it for this? i know what you mean about the colors burgundy/maroon being all over the stores. i'm going to have to try some of the other colors for fall. another great outfit, jean. very inspirational. 😉

• simplybeccablog October 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

😀 Love every piece of your outfit. It's great when you follow your favourite blogger and know the history of each piece of the outfit from previous posts! My favourite piece is definitely the emerald jeweled bracelet!

• PetiteAsianGirl October 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hi lin – yes! I use that thing all the time : )

• PetiteAsianGirl October 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Aw, thank you Becca for reading over the years!

• CoastWithMe October 22, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Always so chic, elegant, and classy! Love your tie front blouse and orange blazer! Beautiful girl:)!

• Kisti Belle October 23, 2012 at 12:17 am

Beautiful! I especially love your accessories 🙂

• HL October 23, 2012 at 12:18 am

My favorite pairing of the 3 in my opinion, mostly because I'm partial to green! 🙂
    Love your blog, Jean!

• The Watt October 23, 2012 at 12:23 am

love the hairdo! i bought the bump thing you recommended, but my hair is too thin to conceal it. alas! enjoying your blog as always!

• The Watt October 23, 2012 at 12:24 am

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 12:26 am

Jean, I love your blog and get super excited when a new post goes up! You look stunning, as usual, and I can't wait to see more of your winter outfits. You're truly an inspiration!

• Natasha xoxo October 23, 2012 at 12:27 am

I've always loved that orange swing jacket!

xo, tasha
    Enter to win a statement necklace + bracelet set

• Jocelyn October 23, 2012 at 1:14 am

Ladies…you don't need the bump-it to create a bump nor tease your hair. I part my hair into two, the front for laying over the layer behind it. The layer behind it, I roll it (however big or small you want the height at) and bobby pin it…almost like a victory curl. Lay the front layer over the roll/curl/bump and bobby pin it at the back of the roll.

• Mary Ann October 23, 2012 at 1:15 am

I love the hairstyle, Jean – has a fun vintage vibe to it. I also think the darker/grainier photos adds some neat ambiance to the pics! 😉

• Lulu October 23, 2012 at 1:18 am

Your style is absolutely impeccable, as always. That skirt is incredible!

• Sophia October 23, 2012 at 1:26 am

Loving the hair! You should put it up more 🙂

• MizzJ October 23, 2012 at 2:14 am

Gorgeous! Orange really is an under-appreciated color.

• SIENA.STYLE October 23, 2012 at 2:24 am

love this look!
    kisses from Milano

• Sabrina October 23, 2012 at 2:26 am

Loving the skirt! How do you pull off a swing jacket at work? I really want to wear one of the about ten I own, but I always feel like I forgot to take off my coat… :/

x
    Sabrina

• Jeetly petite October 23, 2012 at 2:34 am

Brilliant combination, the jacket is a very good colour.

• SW October 23, 2012 at 2:39 am

Jean you've inspired me to wear something orange!

• Megan October 23, 2012 at 2:46 am

Weird question– Do you do anything special with your legs? They look amazing and I'd love to know your secrets, if you have any. 🙂 haha!

• apairofshoesforeveryday October 23, 2012 at 4:05 am

I absolutely love orange for the fall as well. I like pairing orange with burgundy and browns. Recently, I've been obsessing about pairing it with oxblood colored blouses or shirts and dark colored pants and gold-tone accessories. Take care and thanks for another wonderful blog post.

• petitestyleonlinedotcom October 23, 2012 at 4:10 am

I love the autumnal shades that you have used. Perfect colour combinations!

• Wendy's Lookbook October 23, 2012 at 4:30 am

Love this pairing Jean! And the lighting gives it such a romantic vintage vibe! Beautiful!

• m October 23, 2012 at 4:55 am

the blush and orange pair so beautifully together!

• Kimberly October 23, 2012 at 6:25 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 7:31 am

hi jean! i really really love following your posts! totally love how you match your outfits and i'm loving your style! your hair is sooo gorgeous they look so shiny , care to share your hair routine? do you go for those hair treatments?

• Kat October 23, 2012 at 7:47 am

Orange is my favorite color 🙂 I tend to pair fall orange with navy most often.

• Alice October 23, 2012 at 8:27 am

Long-time lurker here, but I was going to comment on how I was enjoying the darker/grainier photos. 🙂

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 8:51 am

Any tips on how to tie such a nice ponytail, Jean?

• Aishoo October 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

Love your hair here! Please do a post or video of how you make it look so good 🙂

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

Great outfit, Jean! And your hair is perfectly poofed! 🙂 I love your nail color–would you happen to remember the name of it? Thanks!

• Rosie October 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

I love the dark photos, even before I saw your comment at the bottom of the post. They have a vintage feel.

• Always Maylee October 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

What a gorgeous orange jacket. I love it paired with the green lace skirt. You always look so classy and chic. And that bracelet is stunning!

xo, Yi-chia

• The_Leather_Skirt_Blog October 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

Incredible ensemble! Flawless!

You are so right about the color orange but I have to admit… I am HUGE burgundy fan, too! Hee Hee

LOVE this outfit! That skirt is amazing!

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

You look stunning as always Jean!!! You always manage to put a great outfit together!!

• lisacng @ expandng.com October 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

I personally love the grainy, vintage-y photos! And your hair is awesome!!!! How'd you do it? Bump? And love the orange ensemble without looking Halloween-y.

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

hi Jean, can this out fit be paired with black or camel bag?

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:47 am

It's great to see bloggers reuse items in different ways over time, but I was curious about your opinions on re-wearing the same item(s) within the same week. Obviously, for sanitation reasons, underwear is changed every day, but especially during colder months when I don't perspire as much, I like to get a few more uses out of clothing items before I throw them in the wash. For one, it is more environmentally friendly, but sometimes (okay, most of the time) I just don't have the time and energy to come up with a completely new outfit everyday. At what point is it weird to keep wearing the same item(s) on repeat during the week? Does anyone else even notice? I find I don't really notice or care about what or how often other people wear things, so maybe no one really notices or cares about how often I reuse things within in the same week? Any thoughts? Other reader opinions would be appreciated, too! 🙂 I'd be curious to see a week's series of outfits and what items you use repeatedly during the week. Thanks!

• the-glitter-life.com October 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

Loving the fall colors!!

We're getting foxy on The Glitter Life! http://the-glitter-life.com/2012/10/23/foxy-lady/

• Rachelle October 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

Such a great color combo, love the pumpkin jacket.
    xo
    Rachelle

• bibi October 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

awesome outfit and I really like the skirt 🙂

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

GOSHH you're SO freaking pretty! lol

• Stephanie Lam October 23, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Good idea!!! Will have to try this, thanks for sharing!

• Stephanie Lam October 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I definitely re-wear outfits all the time but I try not to do it within the same week. But if you decide to wear an item the same week maybe you can mix it up. For example a blouse for work can be worn one day with a blazer and a few days later just layer it under a sweater! As for winter clothes care, a lot of sweaters are dry clean only so I like to get a few wears out of them and even then I'll just throw it in the dryer with a few Bounty cloths and it makes it smell fresh all over again! Hope that helps!!

• Candice October 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Jean,

I follow you on YT, Twitter, and Instagram.

Love the outfit! Great color combination.

aka CHDice on Instagram

• Ann October 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Love!

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 3:31 pm

i love your hairstyle! how did u get so much volume on top? and i also love the outfit as well 🙂

• Debra October 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hi Jean! This outfit is stunning. I am a sucker for shirts with ties. So girly. I can see it paired under a sweater vest with skinny jeans & boots for a weekend look. And I LOVE your pumpkin swing coat. Great color. I am one of the very few who can pull off shades of orange & it looks like you nailed it too.Thanks for the inspiration!

Follow me @ stylewisebydebra.blogspot.com

• Christie October 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Love the layering pieces!! It is absolutely chic and perfect for the Fall weather! – xo

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Man, your wannabe retro/mad men hairstyle is a no-no. Does not suit you at all Jean! 🙁 Thumbs down for this post.

• Nikki October 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

OMG, your eyes are like bulging out of the picture! SCARRRYYY!!

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

That pic of your wedding ootd was so disturbing! The cleavage? EWWEEE Please don't be like Holly Ann ! BLECKKKK

• Elle October 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

This outfit is fantastic and I adore your hair and makeup. 🙂 And the necklace looks terrific as a bracelet!

• jules October 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm

yes, i love wearing orange in the fall! i have a great v-neck sweater from gap that i wear all the time 🙂

xo julesinflats.com

• jules October 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm

what are you talking about?!

• aetherbound October 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Everybody's been so obsessed with "oxblood" that it's nice to see some other fall colors for a change! I have no eye for what colors complement each other well, so this is always useful.

Actually, I had a question about something you mentioned a while ago — the J. Crew Slim Trench and Double-Breasted Icon Trench. Did you ever do a review of them (and did I miss it)? I'm looking into coats again, and I was wondering how those fit. The Slim Trench looks a little shorter than the Lady Day, I think, but I know the Lady Day is the established petite-friendly J. Crew coat. The Icon Trench looks a little bigger all around, but I love the style. Thoughts?

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I kind of like the grainy pics – it makes them look dark and edgey. I have no idea how you manage to pull off orange so well. But it looks great with the color of the blouse.

• Jenny October 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I love the heels! I noticed that this fall is big on neutral colors ^^

• Michelle October 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Love seeing these items re-mixed together. Agreeing with Elle on the hair and makeup. 🙂

• Jackie October 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I love orange! And now I'm going to get something hunter green….Which I love on you btw 🙂

• Erin @ His and Hers October 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Ha! Elle Woods! "Whoever said tangerine is the new pink is seriously disturbed." 😉

Your outfit is obviously NOT seriously disturbed. Love it! You're so inspiring!

• Suzie Q October 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

The swing jacket is too cute! I love how you paired it with a bow tie blouse and pencil scarf, this gives me a 50's vibe. Love the rustic orange color.

xoxo,
    Suzie Q

• Ashley October 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm

As other readers have mentioned, its great to see you remixing some old favorites (I adore that jacket!) Thanks for inspiring us to reach back in the closet!

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Hi Jean,

Love your outfit, hair, and eyes in these pics! Please don't listen to any detractors. They are just haters with nothing good to say. You look lovely as ALWAYS.

• Carol October 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I just got a blouse at Beacon's Closet that's the same color and was at a loss as to how to style it. I love the nude and army green pallet. Thanks for the idea!

• May Y. October 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Jean, you look great in these pics. I love the colors and how you did your hair. You should do a tutorial. I've been trying to do my hair like that but it never works out.

To answer your question, I do have a couple of orange tops but I normally wear them under my suits.

• Anonymous October 23, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi Jean, I love your posts, especially the heels you wear in your outfits but it's impractical for me to wear heels while commuting. Do you have any suggestions on commuting flats that will look good with any outfit? Right now I have plain ol' boring black flats and I carry my heels in a bag or leave them in my office. Do you wear heels regularly when you're at work? Thanks!

• Anonymous October 24, 2012 at 4:36 am

Jean recently blogged about Salvatore Ferragamo flats. I'm not sure if she also mentioned Tory Burch Reva flats but they're about half of what Ferragamos would cost.

• Anonymous October 24, 2012 at 4:42 am

Agreed!
    Jean, you look fantastic as always and your posts keep getting better and better. I always look forward to your posts. Keep it up and thank you for your solid advice and dedication.
    – SW

• Ana-Maria Marila October 24, 2012 at 7:23 am

As usual, you inspire me alot! and I was just about to congratulate you on the soft light from the photos!great!

• Mady T. October 24, 2012 at 8:05 am

love the outfit! as always your outfits are inspiration for me, in spite of the fact that we have different body types…

xoxo
    Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• Dressing Up For Me October 24, 2012 at 9:08 am

I´ve been wearing a lot orange this fall but usually as an accent color. You look great, Jean! 🙂

• Joanna Le October 24, 2012 at 10:35 am

The belt looks fantastic as a bracelet!

• this is lemonade October 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Gorgeous! You've made the orange look so cosy! I suspect I'd look more like a pumpkin but the shade you've chosen really suits you. A beautiful fall hue, I'm feeling totally inspired – I think I'll have to explore more 🙂

• Law Moda October 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm

The hair gives the whole outfit a great 50s vibe. Thanks for the inspiration!

lawmoda.blogspot.com

• Anonymous October 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm

"Nikki", if you're going to try to make it seem like there are two incredibly rude posts from two separate people, at least space your comments apart and NOTTT TYPEEE WITHH SOOO MAAANY EXXTRRAA CHARACTERSSS!!!

• anita b. October 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm

great look! I typically avoid oranges but I love how you embrace it. I LOVE THE HAIR TOO!!

• Anonymous October 25, 2012 at 1:16 am

I love the autumn colors!

• Anonymous October 25, 2012 at 1:17 am

lol ikr

• Grace October 25, 2012 at 1:53 am

I just picked up a pair of orange tights! I plan to wear them with an orange mini and tan/caramel cowboy boots for a monochromatic bottom for my shorty short legs. On top, I'll wear either a burgundy sweater or a light gray cardigan with a navy shirt underneath. I think the key with orange and gray is to wear a light enough gray that it doesn't look black. I'm super excited after seeing your fall ensemble!

• H, October 25, 2012 at 7:27 am

beautiful look, so classy and elegant!

• jessica October 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Love the look! I love that persimmony orange in fall – tend to wear it with brown or gray (or both, I know, mixing cool/warm neutrals, it works for me). I also like mixing it with plum. And usually, like you, I have a second or third neutral I add onto whatever primary neutral I've got going on, plus some sort of texture or pattern to keep things interesting.

• Christy October 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I absolutely love that swing coat! I've been looking for one for a while but have never found the right one, maybe I'll try for that Nordies one you linked to 🙂 Also, I was wondering if you have any updates for us on those Stuart Weitzman stretch boots you said you ordered in an older post? I'm eager to hear your opinion because I'm really thinking about getting those.

• Anonymous October 25, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Once again I think ur hair stole the shoe, looks so great

• Whitney Moore October 26, 2012 at 12:24 am

Love how you incorporated a classic look with the pumpkin… great idea with the blouse to make everything just work!
    Have a great day!
    ~Lindsay & Whitney

• Petite Adventures October 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I love this look – the colour combo is perfect for fall!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• NaRae October 27, 2012 at 4:25 am

How cute! I love fall color of the jacket!

• grace October 27, 2012 at 11:12 am

I'm a sucker for orange. And actually, Asians look great in orange due to the yellowish coloring of our skin. I love all things orange I try not to gravitate to buying too much of it. I'm looking for a nice orange sweater actually – your H&M; swing style jacket is adorable!

• Anonymous October 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm

What the hell are you talking about? There is only one photo with her eyes clearly in the shot that's open. And no, they are nowhere near "bulging".

• Anonymous October 28, 2012 at 3:36 am

Wow! OMG you are so LIKE CLUELESS, Nikki. Get a heart…Better yet, get a brain!

• http://shonastyles.blogspot.ca/ October 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm

You are always on point, your blog is great.

• Anonymous October 31, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Hello,

Quick question. I find that often when I tuck my blouse into my skirt,Ii get bunching around the hips from the shirt. Also when I stand up at work
    I often have to re-tuck my shirt into my skirt and it becomes messy and starts to slip out. How do you avoid these problems?

• GEMMA November 2, 2012 at 7:57 am

I really like the jacket's colour:)

Check out my blog where I posted my first fashion magazine, http://gemmamonclus.blogspot.com.es

Love,Gemma