Trina Turk for Banana Republic Petites Botanical Dress Preview

trinaturk4

Banana Republic Trina Turk Botanical Dress c/o, H&M; sandals (altered) and clutch
Gap neon sweater (similar), Morgan Ashleigh necklace bought on Ideeli (referral) & pearls from eBay

The Trina Turk for Banana Republic collection launches this Thursday (BR Facebook fans can shop 1 day early), and I’m very excited to share a preview of my favorite piece from the line.
trinaturk6

This dress has a classic pencil silhouette, but is updated with a crisp white background and one of Trina’s signature, eye-catching prints. I was impressed that this 100% silk, fully-lined dress (from a designer collab., nonetheless) is priced at $130 retail. Details like the twist-straps, side pockets, and sash tie belt (not shown) are added bonuses.

trinaturk7
This dress features the “crazy botanical” print which is chock-full of color in sea-life designs (see this adorable video with ASPCA rescue dogs for the other prints). It’s extremely easy to pair – you can take any one of the myriad of colors within the print and make it a point of focus, or use a closet neutral like basic black or warm brown, which also appear within the print.
trinaturk3

Here’s how it looks with burnt orange or fuschia for work:
trinaturk8
H&M; jacket & belts, J.Crew cardigan, little necklace thanks to Stella & Dot
trinaturk5

The entire collection will be available in petite sizing, which is a nice surprise. I am showing a 0P here (measures 15.5″ across chest, 13″ across waist, 18″ across hips, and 33.5″ total length) which fits roomy throughout the torso, but actually measures smaller than my AT size 00P dress here. From my experience, BR sheath dresses in general fit smaller than AT’s. I think one size down in this would be a perfect fit for someone with my measurements, but keep in mind the 100% silk does not stretch.
trinaturk
If any of you also got these H&M; highlighter yellow sandals, you may have noticed they look a little different. I love how sultry ankle straps look, but the original width of these ankle cuffs truncated my short calves. I took on a risky DIY project and took apart the cuff, narrowing the strap to about 1/3rd of the original width and super-gluing the pieces back together. It took a long two hours and I’m very happy with the results, but probably won’t attempt it again! I’ll try to show some “before” and “in-process” photos the next time I wear them.
trinaturk1
After years of studying, I’m so relieved to be done with the CFA exam this weekend. I truly hope that this third one is also the final one, and that Jan-June next year will be enjoyable : ) Thank you for your patience over the months and I look forward to responding to questions and comments on here again. My inbox is a bit more daunting – I apologize if you don’t hear back for a while but I will be working through it.trinaturk2

Readers – Will you be shopping this collection? Which piece is your favorite?

98 thoughts on “Trina Turk for Banana Republic Petites Botanical Dress Preview

• Natasha Fatah June 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Really fun print, those are edgier than what I'm used to seeing you in! They're great!

xoxo
    ~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Is this dress available at Banana Republic now? I love it!

• R.L. June 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh wow, I'm definitely excited for the collection now! I absolutely adore the print! It reminds me of (hopefully a more affordable) version of a Tibi dress I saw on Wendy. And also, well done on the heels! Congrats on being done with your test!

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

The dress and you are both beautiful but even with the belt on, the dress is too big for you. This is so obvious in the first three photos. The armholes are perfect, but the hips and torso on the dress are cut too big for your body, you don't look like your usual polished, well-tailored self. I love that you added a pop of yellow, but I think that this dress is a great candidate for tailoring.

• katherine June 3, 2012 at 10:03 pm

congrats with finishing your exams! my friends are starting to study for level 1 and it is quite daunting!
    if you don't mind me asking, what finance field are you in? i'd love to know more about your successful career!

• Cam Avila June 3, 2012 at 10:04 pm

congrats, and your dress is soo pretty 🙂

• lisacng June 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I love the neon yellow pairings as well as the orange and fuschia. Great job on the DIY shoes! You have a great eye for the potential in clothes and accessories

• I am Khatu June 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm

LOVE this! wish i got this dress instead of the shorts. And welcome back, can't wait to start making plans with again!

• The Little Dust Princess June 3, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Congrats, Jean! Can't wait to see regular updates from you again. : ) LOVE this dress on you. I originally chose a top in a similar pattern when they contacted me, but they replied a few days later saying it's not available for Canada. *sad face* All your accessories look beautiful with the dress! And I'm very interested in seeing how you altered those shoes. It looks very risky, especially with just glue! I still haven't found it in smaller sizes yet, but I guess it's for the better. Eying the strappy colourblock sandals from Zara now. haha

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

AHHHH im so proud of you!
    i'm studying this summer for my CPA, and will definitely be distracted by your posts haha

please post more about your career! it would be so helpful!!

• Suzie Q June 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Gorgeous dress! I love the bold colorful print and yet how it could still be worn in a professional setting. Love your various color pairings with it. Great job with the shoes!

xoxo,

• Julie June 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love all the colors in your outfit! It's so fun! I might now have to take a look at the collection 🙂

• newpetite June 3, 2012 at 10:50 pm

That dress is gorgeous on you and I love the Pocket details and the prints! Good job with the DIY and making those sandals petite friendly! Would definitely like to see the process and also know if you stitched it or glued it together.

• jenn~the stylish housewife June 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm

i am SO excited for this collaboration! this print is BEAUTIFUL. hoping to snatch up a piece or two when it debuts!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Joy June 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Love both the outfit and backdrop for your pics!

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 11:23 pm

love the dress! is the gold necklace you are wearing in the orange jacket and purple cardigan pictures new? i like it! may i ask where it is from?

• Marissa Saunders June 3, 2012 at 11:23 pm

REALLY cute outfit! 😉

Marissa
    The Simple Swan
    A Fashion, Beauty, and Maternity Blog

• CynthiaC June 3, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Will be available 6/7!

• phiphis blog June 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I'm so excited for this collection, and seeing this preview is just sealing the deal! I love this dress on you! The colors and the print are so fun! Cant wait for June 7th! Xox P

• ♥Mishi à la mode♥ June 3, 2012 at 11:35 pm

love it! Esp. pairing it with neon shoes and cardigan =)

• Sabrina June 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm

That dress is so classically beautiful and fun! You look absolutely gorgeous wearing it. And I'm so impressed that you DIY altered those sandals! How impressive!

And congratulations on completing your exam. You should definitely go out and celebrate, haha 🙂

Sabrina x

• SewPetiteGal June 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm

That print is drool-worthy. I've been eyeing it on spokesmodel, Coco Rocha, ever since they started promoting the collection in magazines. Will you be altering the torso or leaving it kind of blouse-y? I am VERY excited about checking it out in stores and trying a few pieces on!

Also, I'm incredibly impressed on your shoe alteration! You, my friend, are born with quite the creative streak. They turned out beautifully 🙂

• LAURA June 4, 2012 at 12:03 am

such a fun print and i am lovinggg those bright yellow shoes! amazed that you altered them too :O elegant chic outfit Jean =D

Laura x

demure-porcelain.blogspot.com

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 12:08 am

Oh no… did I see a post here that said the dress wouldn't be available in Canada. 🙁 Hope that's not true. I have a feeling it won't look good on me, but sure would love to try it. I think it's an awesome dress for weddings, and just to wear to work and out on the town!

• With Each Passing Day June 4, 2012 at 12:25 am

Congrats! I was initially going to sit out on this collection but seeing the dress you have on has change my mind. I love the print on the dress. Also, I'm very impressed on you by your shoe alternation. You have amazing skills.

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 1:04 am

I think you look nice in this dress but I get the feeling it isn't something you would normally choose

• Sabrina June 4, 2012 at 1:06 am

Congratulations on finishing your CFA!!! I'm inspired by yor dedication to study and keep up blogging with work too! Best wishes to you!

• Petite-ish June 4, 2012 at 1:11 am

You look adorable, Jean!

• Ирина Фея June 4, 2012 at 1:22 am

I hope you won't take offense, but I mentioned about you in my article.
    I am a freshener in blogging and your permanent follower from Russia.

• A Petite Treat June 4, 2012 at 2:40 am

LOVE your shoes!

Jenn
    A Petite Treat

• Cua Wendy Moua June 4, 2012 at 3:04 am

The dress looks lovely on you. It's definitely the right colors and print for the season. What would you wear this dress to?

• *~♥Giddy Princess♥~* June 4, 2012 at 3:29 am

This is such a lovely outfit. I love how summery the yellow is.

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 3:42 am

The print and the colours are really pretty but I don't find the dress well cut. It makes look you bigger while you are very slim(or maybe it is because of the wind).

• DaintyandDecadent June 4, 2012 at 4:47 am

That print is soooo cute! I love the pop of yellow!

Maria

• PinkOrchids June 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

The dress looks great! The accessories really compliment your outfit! The jackets make your outfit stand out too, wish I had your eye for fashion! xX

• 1MadScientist June 4, 2012 at 7:45 am

I love Trina Turk and though that dress looks great on you, I'm afraid the BR collection won't be quite as flattering as her regular stuff.

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

I guess I'm in the minority. i don't care for the print of this dress at all.. I feel like its not a classic piece one would reach for over and over for in the future. :/

• My Dressy Ways June 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

Gorgeous dress Jean and it looks great on you!

• Miss K June 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Great dress! You look fantastic!

Please enter my Swarovski pen giveaway on http://www.luxessed.com

• Kim June 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

You look great in the dress and congrats on finishing your CFA exam! I have some friends who were studying for it too 🙂

• Renée June 4, 2012 at 10:32 am

What an amazing outfit! Just got recommended for your blog & I love your style and the way you alter it to fit you!

• sbl June 4, 2012 at 10:37 am

i LOVE your shoes.

• Always Maylee June 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

This dress is just gorgeous! Looks amazing on you. The print and colors are just so pretty. And I'm loving those heels!

xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

• Kathleen Lisson June 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thanks for the FB link. I am all signed up to shop on Wednesday!

• Jackie June 4, 2012 at 11:48 am

I will be checking out this collection for sure!

The sandals look great! I couldn't even tell they were altered. Good job!

• Kat June 4, 2012 at 11:56 am

Wow! You are one brave gal for taking on the DIY project of the ankle straps. I would've been too scared to have botched it up. I think it looks great! And love the way you paired it with this dress!
    aneyeforfashion.blogspot.com

• Kat June 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

P.S. How did you do on your exam?

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I think the dress looks much. Much better without the necklace,I feel like the necklace clashes Witt the print, and makes the outfit looks kinda messy. The dress paired with the orange jacket is amazing!! Leave out the necklace!

• Rica June 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

never knew you took CFA… good luck!

love your blog and videos! i hope we get to see more when you're free

• octoberchic.com June 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

you make this dress looks absolutely stunning!

octoberchic.com

• Annapurna June 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I like how you styled the dress (with neon yellow, fuschia, and orange and neutral belt and bag) but I don't love how it fits you. Some of your other dresses (like the ones you get from H&M;) flatter you more than this does – those accentuate your waist more than this one does. You look nice, as usual, but other dresses you have fit you better. I am not sure if it is the knee length (I think you usually go above the knee). For example, if I recall correctly, the paisley dress you got from J Crew fits so much nicer than this one.

I mean this constructively in case you are considering keeping the dress – so please don't take the comment as snarky. I have the same problem with BR dresses – lately they have been matronly on me (I have a similar shape).

• Unknown June 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Love this dress Jean!
    Btw, I have a question about your Chanel sunglasses from your previous blogs. I believe it was style 5182? Where would you recommend buying Chanel sunglasses if there isn't a store nearby? And how much would a pair typically cost?

• Itsher June 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Amazing dress! Loving the print, just wondering if it would be appropriate for work though. Might be too much for me. And I would love BR more if they had better sizing 🙁

• ERIKA June 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm

You're always so creative Jean! I love the way you modified the shoes to complement your legs.. if only I could do that with half of my shoes, I'd probably get more wear out of em:)

I love the belt too! Congrats again on being done with the CFA exam. I'm sure you did amazingly well.. with all the studying you did!

Omg and I'm returning that Target skirt (the yellow/grey/cream one). It's terrible..so wrinkly! I hope it hasn't been 90 days yet. Knowing me it prob has.. I think Target has a good exchange policy. If I can get store credit, I'd rather have that than a wrinkly skirt.

• Lauren June 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

That print is quite eye-catching; it looks great on you.

I also love that you showed how it could be paired with other items from your closet; each of those looks is equally beautiful!

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! You look AMAZING! I am so excited for this collaboration with Banana Republic and Trina Turk – the pieces look GORGEOUS, and I am so happy they are offered in PETITES!

• Michelle June 4, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Congrats on completing your exam!! Glad you can finally relax! 🙂

This dress is great…you are so right about it being easy to style due to the various colors in the pattern.

Good job on the ankle straps! 🙂

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 9:01 pm

holy moly theres too much going on here.. the print of the dress, the neon yellow, the belt and clutch, the necklace! i think i prefer simpler and more classic looks on you jean! =/

btw congrats on exam!

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 10:24 pm

WOW. RUDE much, maybe Jean does not care what you prefer.

• lin June 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm

i love how you styled this dress and the different ways you did it. i normally wear solid color clothing but you have really inspired me to think outside the box and try patterns like this and your paisley one. thanks.

• Alisa Marie June 4, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Love every single thing about this outfit, you look fantastic!

• dietingfashions June 5, 2012 at 12:35 am

I fell in love as soon as I saw that it had pockets! The dress is gorgeous on you.

Helen
    dietingfashions.com

• Fabulous Petite June 5, 2012 at 9:40 am

Very nice Jean. You look pretty. I wish I can DIY's like you do.

Sam

• Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I'm not usually a fan of busy prints either, but I was blown away by neon yellow and orange pairings. I think Jean has the simple and classic looks down to a science, and this look is young, bright, and fashionably refreshing. =)

• Annabelle June 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Fun print! I like it best with the yellow — it perks the whole thing up.

• Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hi Jean! Thanks always for posting great looks! I've been a follower for the past year. However, I am not a big fan of the shoes because you have pretty legs, but the sandal is still truncating it way too much. But congrats on finishing your exam! 🙂

• Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I always like your posts. But this time… it looks more like an ad. Still, you are very stylish and pretty!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I do agree it's a good candidate for tailoring : ) I hope to do it myself if I can't exchange it for one size down.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Hi Katherine – I work in business valuation. Good luck to your friends studying for level 1…it'll be over in 3 (short) years, hopefully!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Good luck in getting your certification!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I used super glue but stitching would have been much more secure. I didn't want to risk breaking a needle, though.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi there – it's from Stella & Dot and I added a link. There are similar delicate necklaces on eBay for less, as well!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thanks, SPG! I'll be taking the torso in if I can't find one size down.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I have heard mixed news about availability in Canada … fingers crossed for you that it will be!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I work in a relaxed business environment so I plan on wearing it to work. It also transitions easily for after work cocktails.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Not sure, Kat…just hoping for a "pass" so I don't have to look at the books ever again. Thank you for asking!

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Thank you, Rica! I hope to resume working on some neglected videos : )

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Would never think you're being snarky, Annapurna. The J Crew paisley dress was heavily altered by my tailors, so I'll see what I can do with this one fit-wise.

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Hi there – I wouldn't recommend buying sunglasses without trying them on because sunglasses are so hard to fit for different face types. My first few pairs of Chanel sunglasses were all purchased either online or through eBay and none of them worked for my face. This pair was purchased via a Sunglass Hut (although Chanel stores, Neiman Marcus, Saks, Bloomingdales, etc will have a better selection) and it's the first pair that's perfect for my nose/cheek structure. These were about $300 including tax but they range from $250-$400+

• PetiteAsianGirl June 5, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks, Erika! I was very disappointed with that skirt. It looks so cute online but just not worth it if you can't keep it wrinkle free. They have an excellent return policy and will probably take it back as long as you have the purchase record.

• Joy June 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

wow you're very brave. but better to reconstruct a pair of H&M; shoes than a pair of expensive ones. I have been hunting down those yellow sandals, but I can't find them at any of 5 H&Ms; near me. Boo hoo =[
    By the way, your bright colors and prints look so fun and festive!

• what.jess.wore June 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm

This dress looks amazing on you and love the pop of neon yellow.

My BFF works for EY (love visiting her at the JH tower during her study sessions and bringing snacks) and she also took the CFA level 2 this past weekend (she's been studying for months with another friend after she passed CFA level 1 this past winter). Best of luck studying for level 3 next year.

Enjoy your free time! 😉

• Kat June 6, 2012 at 3:20 am

I concur on the "don't buy it til you try it" theme. I'm an optician and work with patients/customers all the time in helping them find the right fit/style. While one style might look good on the shelf, may not look so good on a person's face. Everything is always different ON. 🙂

• Martina June 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

u look so sweet, great blog! following:)
    hope u follow me back..

• Ashley June 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

Loving those shoes! The yellows are so great for summer/spring. Just found your blog – now following. Your style is adorable.

Ashley
    whatisatwist.blogspot.com

• Naomi June 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Fantastic job altering the sandals! They look perfect

• Taylyn. June 6, 2012 at 2:32 pm

So gorgeous! Looks like something the First Lady would wear! I'm so happy I found your blog. I've been searching for great petite fashion blogs for a while!

Taylyn.

• dottiemakesmagic June 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

i have that belt on right now! now i feel fancy 🙂 just stumbled across your site, love all the outfits. a fellow petite gal!

• Shelly June 6, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Is there a place where I can get a dress with similar patterns but at a lower price?

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) June 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

Hey Jean congrats on finishing your exam! You must be so relieved! This dress looks amazing on you! since I'm still in Florida I hope to get to a BR with a petites section today since you guys tend to have more selection than we do in Canada. The pieces look beautiful and for 100% silk I think the price point isn't bad.

• Ale June 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

It looks good on you. I just got the same dress on 0R. The collection was selling so fast, all the small sizes were gone in that store and had to get the bracelet I wanted out of the mannequin.

• yutzyjbear June 8, 2012 at 12:42 am

Love that your usual style is clean/classic Ann Taylor and you went for this wild Trina pop… I am an AVID AT shopper but this dress inspired me to get myself to the Banana Store and try on several of the new pieces. I walked out with two of her dresses and can't stop playing dress up tonight with other cardigans, accessories, shoes, and purses. Gorgeous collection and I feel like I'm at the forefront of fashion because I know these will go quick! THanks for the tipoff. Totally great!

• Anonymous June 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Jean, the looks you've mixed together with this dress are gorgeous! I love how you manage to find ways to make office looks still look young and fresh. I do have one question- I recently purchased this dress myself, and I realize that a regular bra won't do given the almost-halter style straps. Can I ask if you (or any readers!) would wear this with a strapless bra or with one of those convertible ones? I am pondering purchasing one but not sure they'll actually do the trick. Thanks so much for your help!

-Liz

• theheadtiltblog June 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm

You've accessorized the dress in a very chic manner. We adore it 🙂

• CamMi Pham June 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

Nice outfit I love your shoes.
    x
    cammi

• Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I have three rescue dogs and couldn't help but get some feel good shopping in after their use of the dogs as models. I just got this dress (along with the pink top and swim suit) from the line and I love it.

I noticed that you mentioned the 0P was smaller than some of your 00P dresses from Ann Taylor. I don't often shop at AT and was curious whether you've found that they generally run larger than BR or if it was just the sheath dresses.

Best wishes to you on your CFA!

• rjiang July 12, 2012 at 7:38 am

This dress is now on clearance on the br website (regular sizing only) but it's $64.99 and you can use BREXCUSE for an extra 20% off! the price also qualifies it for free shipping!! So if you are good at altering/have a trusty tailor, this is a lot cheaper now. Please let your blog readers/other followers know! I just grabbed one 🙂

• Anonymous November 23, 2012 at 7:34 am

You are absolutely stunning!