Trina Turk for Banana Republic Petites Botanical Dress Preview

trinaturk4

Banana Republic Trina Turk Botanical Dress c/o, H&M; sandals (altered) and clutch
Gap neon sweater (similar), Morgan Ashleigh necklace bought on Ideeli (referral) & pearls from eBay

The Trina Turk for Banana Republic collection launches this Thursday (BR Facebook fans can shop 1 day early), and I’m very excited to share a preview of my favorite piece from the line.
trinaturk6

This dress has a classic pencil silhouette, but is updated with a crisp white background and one of Trina’s signature, eye-catching prints. I was impressed that this 100% silk, fully-lined dress (from a designer collab., nonetheless) is priced at $130 retail. Details like the twist-straps, side pockets, and sash tie belt (not shown) are added bonuses.

trinaturk7
This dress features the “crazy botanical” print which is chock-full of color in sea-life designs (see this adorable video with ASPCA rescue dogs for the other prints). It’s extremely easy to pair – you can take any one of the myriad of colors within the print and make it a point of focus, or use a closet neutral like basic black or warm brown, which also appear within the print.
trinaturk3

Here’s how it looks with burnt orange or fuschia for work:
trinaturk8
H&M; jacket & belts, J.Crew cardigan, little necklace thanks to Stella & Dot
trinaturk5

The entire collection will be available in petite sizing, which is a nice surprise. I am showing a 0P here (measures 15.5″ across chest, 13″ across waist, 18″ across hips, and 33.5″ total length) which fits roomy throughout the torso, but actually measures smaller than my AT size 00P dress here. From my experience, BR sheath dresses in general fit smaller than AT’s. I think one size down in this would be a perfect fit for someone with my measurements, but keep in mind the 100% silk does not stretch.
trinaturk
If any of you also got these H&M; highlighter yellow sandals, you may have noticed they look a little different. I love how sultry ankle straps look, but the original width of these ankle cuffs truncated my short calves. I took on a risky DIY project and took apart the cuff, narrowing the strap to about 1/3rd of the original width and super-gluing the pieces back together. It took a long two hours and I’m very happy with the results, but probably won’t attempt it again! I’ll try to show some “before” and “in-process” photos the next time I wear them.
trinaturk1
After years of studying, I’m so relieved to be done with the CFA exam this weekend. I truly hope that this third one is also the final one, and that Jan-June next year will be enjoyable : ) Thank you for your patience over the months and I look forward to responding to questions and comments on here again. My inbox is a bit more daunting – I apologize if you don’t hear back for a while but I will be working through it.trinaturk2

Readers – Will you be shopping this collection? Which piece is your favorite?

98 thoughts on “Trina Turk for Banana Republic Petites Botanical Dress Preview

• Natasha Fatah June 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Really fun print, those are edgier than what I'm used to seeing you in! They're great!

xoxo
    ~Natasha Fatah~
    ~Natasha Fatah~

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Is this dress available at Banana Republic now? I love it!

• R.L. June 3, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh wow, I'm definitely excited for the collection now! I absolutely adore the print! It reminds me of (hopefully a more affordable) version of a Tibi dress I saw on Wendy. And also, well done on the heels! Congrats on being done with your test!

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

The dress and you are both beautiful but even with the belt on, the dress is too big for you. This is so obvious in the first three photos. The armholes are perfect, but the hips and torso on the dress are cut too big for your body, you don't look like your usual polished, well-tailored self. I love that you added a pop of yellow, but I think that this dress is a great candidate for tailoring.

• katherine June 3, 2012 at 10:03 pm

congrats with finishing your exams! my friends are starting to study for level 1 and it is quite daunting!
    if you don't mind me asking, what finance field are you in? i'd love to know more about your successful career!

• Cam Avila June 3, 2012 at 10:04 pm

congrats, and your dress is soo pretty 🙂

• lisacng June 3, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I love the neon yellow pairings as well as the orange and fuschia. Great job on the DIY shoes! You have a great eye for the potential in clothes and accessories

• I am Khatu June 3, 2012 at 10:13 pm

LOVE this! wish i got this dress instead of the shorts. And welcome back, can't wait to start making plans with again!

• The Little Dust Princess June 3, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Congrats, Jean! Can't wait to see regular updates from you again. : ) LOVE this dress on you. I originally chose a top in a similar pattern when they contacted me, but they replied a few days later saying it's not available for Canada. *sad face* All your accessories look beautiful with the dress! And I'm very interested in seeing how you altered those shoes. It looks very risky, especially with just glue! I still haven't found it in smaller sizes yet, but I guess it's for the better. Eying the strappy colourblock sandals from Zara now. haha

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

AHHHH im so proud of you!
    i'm studying this summer for my CPA, and will definitely be distracted by your posts haha

please post more about your career! it would be so helpful!!

• Suzie Q June 3, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Gorgeous dress! I love the bold colorful print and yet how it could still be worn in a professional setting. Love your various color pairings with it. Great job with the shoes!

xoxo,

• Julie June 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love all the colors in your outfit! It's so fun! I might now have to take a look at the collection 🙂

• newpetite June 3, 2012 at 10:50 pm

That dress is gorgeous on you and I love the Pocket details and the prints! Good job with the DIY and making those sandals petite friendly! Would definitely like to see the process and also know if you stitched it or glued it together.

• jenn~the stylish housewife June 3, 2012 at 10:53 pm

i am SO excited for this collaboration! this print is BEAUTIFUL. hoping to snatch up a piece or two when it debuts!

xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

• Joy June 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Love both the outfit and backdrop for your pics!

• Anonymous June 3, 2012 at 11:23 pm

love the dress! is the gold necklace you are wearing in the orange jacket and purple cardigan pictures new? i like it! may i ask where it is from?

• Marissa Saunders June 3, 2012 at 11:23 pm

REALLY cute outfit! 😉

Marissa
    The Simple Swan
    A Fashion, Beauty, and Maternity Blog

• CynthiaC June 3, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Will be available 6/7!

• phiphis blog June 3, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I'm so excited for this collection, and seeing this preview is just sealing the deal! I love this dress on you! The colors and the print are so fun! Cant wait for June 7th! Xox P

• ♥Mishi à la mode♥ June 3, 2012 at 11:35 pm

love it! Esp. pairing it with neon shoes and cardigan =)

• Sabrina June 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm

That dress is so classically beautiful and fun! You look absolutely gorgeous wearing it. And I'm so impressed that you DIY altered those sandals! How impressive!

And congratulations on completing your exam. You should definitely go out and celebrate, haha 🙂

Sabrina x

• SewPetiteGal June 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm

That print is drool-worthy. I've been eyeing it on spokesmodel, Coco Rocha, ever since they started promoting the collection in magazines. Will you be altering the torso or leaving it kind of blouse-y? I am VERY excited about checking it out in stores and trying a few pieces on!

Also, I'm incredibly impressed on your shoe alteration! You, my friend, are born with quite the creative streak. They turned out beautifully 🙂

• LAURA June 4, 2012 at 12:03 am

such a fun print and i am lovinggg those bright yellow shoes! amazed that you altered them too :O elegant chic outfit Jean =D

Laura x

demure-porcelain.blogspot.com

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 12:08 am

Oh no… did I see a post here that said the dress wouldn't be available in Canada. 🙁 Hope that's not true. I have a feeling it won't look good on me, but sure would love to try it. I think it's an awesome dress for weddings, and just to wear to work and out on the town!

• With Each Passing Day June 4, 2012 at 12:25 am

Congrats! I was initially going to sit out on this collection but seeing the dress you have on has change my mind. I love the print on the dress. Also, I'm very impressed on you by your shoe alternation. You have amazing skills.

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 1:04 am

I think you look nice in this dress but I get the feeling it isn't something you would normally choose

• Sabrina June 4, 2012 at 1:06 am

Congratulations on finishing your CFA!!! I'm inspired by yor dedication to study and keep up blogging with work too! Best wishes to you!

• Petite-ish June 4, 2012 at 1:11 am

You look adorable, Jean!

• Ирина Фея June 4, 2012 at 1:22 am

I hope you won't take offense, but I mentioned about you in my article.
    I am a freshener in blogging and your permanent follower from Russia.

• A Petite Treat June 4, 2012 at 2:40 am

LOVE your shoes!

Jenn
    A Petite Treat

• Cua Wendy Moua June 4, 2012 at 3:04 am

The dress looks lovely on you. It's definitely the right colors and print for the season. What would you wear this dress to?

• *~♥Giddy Princess♥~* June 4, 2012 at 3:29 am

This is such a lovely outfit. I love how summery the yellow is.

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 3:42 am

The print and the colours are really pretty but I don't find the dress well cut. It makes look you bigger while you are very slim(or maybe it is because of the wind).

• DaintyandDecadent June 4, 2012 at 4:47 am

That print is soooo cute! I love the pop of yellow!

Maria

• PinkOrchids June 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

The dress looks great! The accessories really compliment your outfit! The jackets make your outfit stand out too, wish I had your eye for fashion! xX

• 1MadScientist June 4, 2012 at 7:45 am

I love Trina Turk and though that dress looks great on you, I'm afraid the BR collection won't be quite as flattering as her regular stuff.

• Anonymous June 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

I guess I'm in the minority. i don't care for the print of this dress at all.. I feel like its not a classic piece one would reach for over and over for in the future. :/

• My Dressy Ways June 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

Gorgeous dress Jean and it looks great on you!

• Miss K June 4, 2012 at 9:33 am

Great dress! You look fantastic!

Please enter my Swarovski pen giveaway on http://www.luxessed.com

• Kim June 4, 2012 at 10:09 am

You look great in the dress and congrats on finishing your CFA exam! I have some friends who were studying for it too 🙂