• Petite Fashion Challenge 17: Candy Colorized $9 H&M Dress

This month’s Petite Fashion Challenge is hosted by the talented DIY’er, SewPetiteGal. Please be sure to check out her post for links to all the participant’s outfits.

The challenge: Candy Colorized – Take a bowl full of colorful candies, close your eyes, and draw 2-3 pieces. Now use those colors (+ a neutral of your choosing) to form the basis for your ensemble.candycolored3H&M; tunic dress, J.Crew belt, Adia Kibur necklace (from a friend),
    Target T-strap sandals (similar and on sale), Mango aviator sunglasses c/o last year
    Summer face: Stila bronzer shade #1 (lasts me for years), Revlon “Coral Reef” lip gloss

Before I got around to closing my eyes and letting the candy gods pick my PFC fate, I peered into my bag of Starburst and noticed how starkly familiar the colors were. They were a perfect match for a new dress and necklace lying around, both of which I have been very eager to wear.
    candycolored5
    I fell in love with this tunic dress online back in March, but was too late. With H&M;, the good, affordable stuff tend to sell out in a matter of days, so I was ecstatic to find this lone dress hanging on the clearance rack for $10, three months later, in my size nonetheless. A quick look told me that the dress had been abused…holes from being run over repeatedly by rolling racks, sash belt torn off, and seams coming apart like it had been stretched out then returned. I got another 10% off for the damages, and brought the poor thing home for some TLC. candycoloredThe fit of this tunic dress is extremely similar to my other H&M; shift pre-alterations, but even longer. It’s very “nightgown” on me as-is, but I knew it was intended to be worn with it’s (missing) belt. For this brightly-colored outfit,

I decided to use matte gold as my “neutral.” I cinched the shapeless waist and pulled up some of the length using an old gold belt, protected my eyes with gold-rimmed aviators, and finished the look with some barely-there flat gold flat sandals – my summer staple (similar here).candycolored4
    This challenge brought back some interesting memories for me. Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve had a huge sweet tooth for fruity candy. Unfortunately, candy during my childhood was saved away for rare, special occasions. I remember waiting patiently until my parents fell asleep, before tip-toeing into the kitchen, climbing onto bar stools and counters, and finding the secret stash that was being saved from last Halloween. I would gingerly slip back into bed, clutching onto my Twizzler stick or DumDum pop, and savor it like it was my last meal on earth before slipping into “sweet” dreams.

candycolored1 The next morning, I would wake up to Dad’s stern face peering at me in bed. “Did you steal candy again??” “N…n..no! Of course not!” I’d stammer groggily. Dad: “Then what’s this lollipop stick doing glued to the side of your head?” To this day, my parents never fail to remind me of those stories.candycolored2This was the perfect weekend outfit for strolling around town and enjoying al-fresco drinks. Just as I thought the day couldn’t get more relaxing, we got drenched to the bones in a torrential downpour. On the bright side, it was a free “cleaning” for this dress, and I got to warm up afterwards with yummy pho : )
    candycolored6
    This has been a Petite Fashion Challenge. To find out more about Petite Fashion Challenges and how you can sign up, visit this thread in the Alterations Needed forum for petites.
    petitefashionchallenge

70 thoughts on “Petite Fashion Challenge 17: Candy Colorized $9 H&M Dress

• Anonymous June 30, 2012 at 12:55 am

Seems like you get a little more tan to me…:P
      Looks great as always!

• yvette ojeda June 30, 2012 at 1:31 am

Hi ,

I luv your belt? Where would I be ble to find a siimiliar one? Thank you

• Bettina June 30, 2012 at 1:37 am

This dress looks amazing on you, and the colors are simply stunning! I love, love, love when dresses incorporate many brights and a great print together.

• faye lu June 30, 2012 at 3:17 am

I always love reading your posts – original, inspiring and always adds a little colour to my day. Beautiful pictures, the candy colours just pop off the screen. Looking chic as ever xo

• ♥ Cassandra (Backtofive) June 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

Love the color and prints on the dress! Amazing!

backtofive.blogspot.com

• Ms.Fashionista June 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I love that gorgeous dress! The color is darling. Stunning on you. Perfect accessories also!

xo

• alittlepetite June 30, 2012 at 11:06 pm

necklace is beautiful! great look!

• Lisa July 1, 2012 at 1:44 am

Absolutely STUNNING! I would kill for that necklace. Jean, I find it amazing how you always seem to find garments at serious bargains, and then churn out outfits incorporating said pieces that are. so. dang. gorgeous.

• Bela Anzu July 1, 2012 at 3:38 am

These warm colours give your skin such a lovely glow and your statement necklace matches your dress so beautifully. Great outfit Jean!

• Joy July 1, 2012 at 4:55 pm

this definitely is colorful, candy colorful. It actually makes me want to eat starburst right now!
      You look like a gorgeous Indian princess. =]

• Kerry July 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

You always look amazing, Jean, but I'm especially loving these colors on you! Gorgeous!

• Jessica @ Here(and)Now July 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

You look fabulous in candy colors! Great outfit for the challenge!
      xx
      Here&Now;

• Chococcuro July 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm

wow amazing colours! Sounds like such a fun challenge!

• Elisse July 2, 2012 at 9:48 am

That dress is perfect for any summer day/night! And I LOVE pho, that photo makes me want some right now.

• simplyvonne July 2, 2012 at 11:25 am

you always always look so gorgeous in your photo! Beautiful dress on a beautiful girl! I really love this challenge!

• Jun July 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi Jean! I think I saw you and Nick last Friday in NYC Chinatown in this dress! I should have said hi, now regretting! Anyways, you looked amazing in person, and so tiny! It is so hard to wear such bright pattern dress, you definitely pull it off! Great Job!

• CY July 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm

This fit terribly on me in the store, but somehow you made it work! LOVE!

• Petite in the City July 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Yeah for bargains! I just picked up a few items this week too! I think I tried on this one in the store before too, bit it looked horrible on me, can't believe the solution was so obvious, add a belt! Great outfit!

• lisacng July 14, 2012 at 11:28 pm

LOVE the colorful dress with the bold necklace!!! And GREAT backdrop at the train tracks!!

• Elodie July 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Hello !

I have used one of your photo on my Tumblr. I put your credits all the time.
      You can take a look here : http://tropicgirl.tumblr.com/post/27275817308/extrapetite-blog

Elodie