• Petite Fashion Challenge 17: Candy Colorized $9 H&M Dress

This month’s Petite Fashion Challenge is hosted by the talented DIY’er, SewPetiteGal. Please be sure to check out her post for links to all the participant’s outfits.

The challenge: Candy Colorized – Take a bowl full of colorful candies, close your eyes, and draw 2-3 pieces. Now use those colors (+ a neutral of your choosing) to form the basis for your ensemble.candycolored3H&M; tunic dress, J.Crew belt, Adia Kibur necklace (from a friend),
    Target T-strap sandals (similar and on sale), Mango aviator sunglasses c/o last year
    Summer face: Stila bronzer shade #1 (lasts me for years), Revlon “Coral Reef” lip gloss

Before I got around to closing my eyes and letting the candy gods pick my PFC fate, I peered into my bag of Starburst and noticed how starkly familiar the colors were. They were a perfect match for a new dress and necklace lying around, both of which I have been very eager to wear.
    candycolored5
    I fell in love with this tunic dress online back in March, but was too late. With H&M;, the good, affordable stuff tend to sell out in a matter of days, so I was ecstatic to find this lone dress hanging on the clearance rack for $10, three months later, in my size nonetheless. A quick look told me that the dress had been abused…holes from being run over repeatedly by rolling racks, sash belt torn off, and seams coming apart like it had been stretched out then returned. I got another 10% off for the damages, and brought the poor thing home for some TLC. candycoloredThe fit of this tunic dress is extremely similar to my other H&M; shift pre-alterations, but even longer. It’s very “nightgown” on me as-is, but I knew it was intended to be worn with it’s (missing) belt. For this brightly-colored outfit,

I decided to use matte gold as my “neutral.” I cinched the shapeless waist and pulled up some of the length using an old gold belt, protected my eyes with gold-rimmed aviators, and finished the look with some barely-there flat gold flat sandals – my summer staple (similar here).candycolored4
    This challenge brought back some interesting memories for me. Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve had a huge sweet tooth for fruity candy. Unfortunately, candy during my childhood was saved away for rare, special occasions. I remember waiting patiently until my parents fell asleep, before tip-toeing into the kitchen, climbing onto bar stools and counters, and finding the secret stash that was being saved from last Halloween. I would gingerly slip back into bed, clutching onto my Twizzler stick or DumDum pop, and savor it like it was my last meal on earth before slipping into “sweet” dreams.

candycolored1 The next morning, I would wake up to Dad’s stern face peering at me in bed. “Did you steal candy again??” “N…n..no! Of course not!” I’d stammer groggily. Dad: “Then what’s this lollipop stick doing glued to the side of your head?” To this day, my parents never fail to remind me of those stories.candycolored2This was the perfect weekend outfit for strolling around town and enjoying al-fresco drinks. Just as I thought the day couldn’t get more relaxing, we got drenched to the bones in a torrential downpour. On the bright side, it was a free “cleaning” for this dress, and I got to warm up afterwards with yummy pho : )
    candycolored6
    This has been a Petite Fashion Challenge. To find out more about Petite Fashion Challenges and how you can sign up, visit this thread in the Alterations Needed forum for petites.
    petitefashionchallenge

70 thoughts on “Petite Fashion Challenge 17: Candy Colorized $9 H&M Dress

• Donnalyn@Squigglesss June 28, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Very pretty as always, Jean ๐Ÿ™‚

• Rainy Days and Lattes June 28, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Your posts are always so inspring ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish I had your skills to give broken or abused clothing some love :p The drinks look good and so does the pho! ๐Ÿ™‚

• CynthiaC June 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Gorgeous! And that's what I call candy-coloured. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ann June 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Looking cool as always, Jean ๐Ÿ˜€

• Natasha Fatah June 28, 2012 at 9:48 pm

You've done a beautiful job with this challenge and the post. ๐Ÿ™‚

xoxo
      ~Natasha Fatah~
      ~Natasha Fatah~

• Tinacious Me June 28, 2012 at 9:49 pm

such a pretty dress! you look fabulous!
      ~ Tinacious.Me ~

• The Little Dust Princess June 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

This is beautiful! I loveee that necklace. It really looks like candy.

• That's My Mama June 28, 2012 at 9:54 pm

You look beautiful and the pho looks amazing!

• Anonymous June 28, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Jean, I swear you could rock a brown paper bag! You look gorgeous as usual! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Katherine June 28, 2012 at 10:14 pm

the necklace matches perfectly!
      are you using a bump-it in these pictures?
      you look great with your hair up!

• roey June 28, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Great outfit! the colors are so vibrant! great for summer wear. I think I'm usually scared where lots of bright colors, but you make it seem so easy!

• Priscilla June 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm

amazing on how you stylize bright pieces like these!

• Anonymous June 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love how even with the PFC's, your posts tell a story, about the clothes and about yourself. Those colors look so fun and bright on you– the perfect summer outfit!

• Megan June 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I really love this! That tunic dress fits you so well! It must have been meant to be with you and dress, considering you found it in your size at such a great price!

• Suzie Q June 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm

This is such a cute challenge! I love your necklace! You look great in that dress, couldn't tell that it was abused =)

xoxo,
      Suzie Q

• Hallie June 28, 2012 at 11:14 pm

The other day I saw this dress and I almost buy it, feeling regret right now, it looks so great on you! the color is amazing!

• ~Mel June 28, 2012 at 11:40 pm

super cute and loving all the colors! =D

• Kat June 28, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Love this! I did see that dress at H&M; but i wasn't sure about the material on me. Great look belted! Love the sandals!

• Jen June 28, 2012 at 11:54 pm

You have such a knack for making something inexpensive look like hundreds of dollars. Kudos!

• Di June 29, 2012 at 12:03 am

I LOVE this outfit! It's got to be one of my favorite outfits of yours. I think Zara has one that's similar so I think I might have to go snag one up.

• newpetite June 29, 2012 at 12:03 am

Thats a gorgeous dress and awesome candy color combos!

• SewPetiteGal June 29, 2012 at 12:11 am

Your childhood anecdote is HILARIOUS! I'm really loving the bits of humor in your recent posts ๐Ÿ™‚ The necklace and dress (glad you were able to find it) are perfect for the challenge and look gorgeous on you!

• littleblacksweats June 29, 2012 at 12:14 am

That necklace is gorgeous! (The Mojito ain't so bad lookin' either!!)

• John Marine June 29, 2012 at 12:19 am

As fabulous as they come. Excellent outfit, Jean! The dress is amazing along with the earrings and the sandals.

johnbmarine.blogspot.com

• Michelle June 29, 2012 at 12:54 am

Oh! I love that you used Starburst! ๐Ÿ™‚ I agree with SPG…love hearing the childhood story!

Glad you found your dress…and such a great price! And your hair looks great like this!!

And…love the pic on Twitter that you posted for Ping and me. ๐Ÿ™‚ I will have some to share soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

• dietingfashions June 29, 2012 at 1:22 am

At first I thought it was the Trina Turk for Banana Republic dress. Amazing dress for $10! I always love how you find ways to make something work.

Helen

• octoberchic.com June 29, 2012 at 1:36 am

This dress screams "SUMMER!" and I love it. That necklace looks lovely!

octoberchic.com

• AubreyOhDang! June 29, 2012 at 1:47 am

that's it? 10% off? that's a dollar! I woulda asked for the manager's discount. at least 30%. HAHAHHA. <

I would love to see it altered and in that up & down shapeless tunic style one of these days. but I could probably only see that if it was shorter, but then it would take away from the print. so nvm.

anyhoo, one of my fave outfits! sometimes I really appreciate seeing a more practical outfit, other than always seeing bloggers in heels.

• Fashion Blawger June 29, 2012 at 2:39 am

Love your outfit. I would not have necessarily thought of adding such a busy necklace to a printed dress but I see it looks amazing! Great styling and awesome entry. -I went a little crazy with this challenge, thinking we were to chose 3-4 candies, I chose 4 and added a neutral.

I hope you check out my entry and if you do please leave me your thoughts on it!

A Preponderance of Fashion

• noniq June 29, 2012 at 4:21 am

Just gorgeous as usual and really love your dress!

• Fanny June 29, 2012 at 5:59 am

lovely dress ^^
      fashionparade-fanny.blogspot.com

• RichLittlePoorGirl June 29, 2012 at 8:09 am

such a pretty color combo. beautiful dress!! follow each other?? xxo!

• TaraMixandMatch June 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

I love this on you Jean! The dress is gorgeous, and I can't get over your stunning necklace!

• Petite Promises June 29, 2012 at 8:24 am

GORGEOUS dress! And yummy pho too ๐Ÿ™‚

• Always Maylee June 29, 2012 at 9:19 am

You look gorgeous as always! I have this same dress, the colors are just so fun. LOVE your necklace. ๐Ÿ™‚

xo, Yi-chia

• Jessica Broyles June 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

Wow, this outfit is fantastic. That's such a beautiful necklace!

• Zoe Alexander June 29, 2012 at 10:54 am

Super colours and super photos —> great combo!

• Joanna Le June 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

This dress was practically MADE for this challenge. So many colours, yet they all complement each other very well. My parents used to hide candy from my siblings and I when we were younger too! They would lay out a piece each for us in the mornings to take to school.. It's a little embarrassing to say that they stopped when we all reached high school!

• Not your average beach bum June 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

I absolutely love your necklace choice – it's so bold but matches perfectly.

There's a magenta version of the bag I posted here: http://notyouraveragebeachbum.blogspot.com/2012/06/debby-not-downer.html that would have been perfect in case you went shopping on your stroll around town!

• With Each Passing Day June 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm

This dress was the perfect dress for this challenge. Jean, you never cease to amaze me with your ability. I need to take lesson from you.