• Something Borrowed: Sequin Pencil Skirt + Neon

neonsequin1

Gap sweater (similar, but not dolman), Zara skirt borrowed from Khatu, ring from Vicky
    Pearls & Prada pumps (~$20!) from eBay, Chanel bag & tortoiseshell sunnies, Burberry trench (similar)

Lord & Taylor is having their F&F; sale until 4/23 – use code FRIENDS to get 25% off almost everything, and 10% off beauty & fragrance. Free ship on orders over $99 or beauty orders over $49. My picks are:

– any of their Michael Kors watches (I love mine, and 25% off such a large selection is very rare. See my post on MK watches.)
    Kate Spade tortoiseshell sunglasses that look like my much-loved ones for a fraction of the price, or
    – something for Mother’s Day!

neonsequin
    Not much else to say in today’s post except that I love having a like-sized friend with awesome taste living close by. It’s even better that our styles are a bit different, as it allows me to experiment outside my comfort zone. I might not pay for this eye-catching skirt (and the alterations it required) myself, but it sure is fun to borrow!
    neonsequin7

neonsequin6
    As a piece that really shines on its own, this skirt doesn’t need much styling. I just wanted to instill some essence of spring while staying warm (very brisk in the mornings and evenings here!). This slouchy neon sweater and classic khaki trench – two of my favorite purchases from last year – did the job.
    neonsequin5
    This outfit is nice for a dinner out, or, you can switch into the skirt for after-work cocktails with colleagues. I love how the demure longer length balances out the party aspect of all-over sequins.
    neonsequin2
    neonsequin4

Readers – Do you have sisters or friends to share clothes with?

75 thoughts on “Something Borrowed: Sequin Pencil Skirt + Neon

• .Tinacious Me. April 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

you look so chic! love the bright yellow on sequin! Very pretty!
      xo, Tina

• Theresa April 20, 2012 at 12:22 pm

very classy! i'm impressed that those heels were only $20!

• Natasha Fatah April 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Great skirt Jean, and I love that you wore it during the day. 🙂
      xoxo
      ~Natasha Fatah~

• Tiffany April 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I love this outfit! Neon and sequins are such a fun mix and match. Great post, but I admit it cracked me up that there's a Dr. Zoidberg decal on the wall behind you.

• Anissa April 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

lovely outfit!:)

• With Each Passing Day April 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

You are so lucky to have friends closed by. I have sisters but I live far from them. This outfit is lovely.

• PetiteAsianGirl April 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Lol! Nick brought him along to take photos of him "in the wild" for a project … don't ask …

• Julie Khuu April 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Love how the skirt seems to show off such an abstract pattern when it hits the light…like a gorgeous galaxy that you're rocking all day long…great look, the neon is a perfect pairing!

xo-Julie
      Peace. Love. LOL!

• Sabrina April 20, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Oh, Jean, you're so stunning! Something about pairing neon and sequins seem so right, and I love how you've taken these trends into a very classy and ladylike direction, as you always do!

Sabrina x

• Bára Rektorová April 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Great outfit, love how it all comes together:-)
      I read every single post but this is first time I called my husband to come along and look at Dr. Zoidberg:-) He completely gets why Nick wanted to take photos of him in te wild:-)

• My Style April 20, 2012 at 1:05 pm

love the way that you styled the skirt! is so classy!

xoxo
      Mady

thegirlfromthemirror.blogspot.com

• Unknown April 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• My Dressy Ways April 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love it! I have a very a similar sequin pencil skirt that I thrifted years ago and I love it's modest and classic cut – partied up with the sequins. It's definitely a piece I wish got more wear. Have you noticed that there's something about sequins that adds some curves to all the right areas? All that reflective light does something magical. For that reason alone, I wish I could wear sequin skirts and dresses 'round the clock. Haha.

I have one sister that lives with me so we swap clothes all the time, but it's more beneficial for her than me. My coworker also benefits from my closet, I'm her go-to whenever she needs a dress for a special occasion. My sisters that live further away also get shipments from my closet when they're in need. Hey, if my closet can dress multiple people other than me, I'm happy!

Wow! Longest comment ever! Have a great weekend Jean!

• Rachel Lynne April 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I absolutely love this! The sequin skirt is so pretty! 🙂 Definitely great paired with your bright top!

xoxo,
      Rachel

• lin April 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm

love the whole look of this….very classy and chic paired with all the right accessories. 😉

i don't have sisters but i do have friends whom i could share clothes with. 😀

• Monica April 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

LOVE THAT SKIRT – i have one just like it but it's more fitted.
      🙂

withloveshmon.wordpress.com

• easy petite looks April 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I wish I had someone to share clothes with! Or shoes, or anything!! The skirt is very pretty, but not something I would usually pick up either. Happy birthday!!

• grace April 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Already posted on FB, but wanted to add that I do have a friend that is of similar size, so it's fun to go shopping with her as we can try on the same things, but she's not really into style or fashion as I am (though, in comparison with all you amazingly well dressed petite bloggers I dress like a homeless person :P). We both have fairly plain styles for the most part – I really have to push myself to get out of my comfort zone – even putting on accessories can be a pain for me (yes, I am that lazy). So I go to you and other petites for inspiration and possible fit ideas.

• Anonymous April 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Great outfit! Love the skirt! However I must say that your (faded) suede pumps don't match the purse or the outfit at all. Sexy black leather pumps would have been much better! But that's just my opinion!
      Have a great weekend, Lucy

• nikolia April 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I love your skirt … perfect combination …
      kisses

• lisacng April 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

It's so cool how you mix sequins with a knit! A bright knit too, love it! And the link for the Kate Spade sunglasses is soooo cute! The stripes on the inside…I WANT!

• vanillachai April 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Do you have tips for petites that are curvier from the hips and below? For example, I've tried pencil skirts, but I'm not sure whether they fit in a way that is work appropriate. I have some friends and family that are also curvy up top but 5' and under. It's a unique challenge because magazines often have tips for petites and ladies with curves, but not everyone falls into those categories.

• Kat April 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I was just going to say that this would make a great after work dinner outfit. I think you paired your items nicely. I used to have roommates that I could borrow clothes from… in college. Now, my male roommate and I kiiiiind of have different taste. So it's really hard to borrow anything, if at all 😉 But I do on occasion swap items with a close gf.

• webichi April 20, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Love this outfit! It's so classy and bright. The neon works so well with the sequins.

• Kimberly April 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I wish I had stylish friends nearby that I could share clothes with…and my sister lives clear across the country! 🙁 This skirt is beautiful & love how you paired it with that bright color – makes it appropriate for spring.

• Michelle April 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm

You are standing next to "Zoidberg" from Futurama in pic #4! :p

That is a no for me regarding friends/sisters to borrow clothes from/with.

This skirt looks great styled like that. Good idea rolling the sleeves!

Hope you enjoy your weekend! 🙂

• Anonymous April 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Do you mind sharing which Michael Kors watch you have? I'd love to know which watch fits a petite so similar in size to me. Thanks!

• Joy April 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

you look so tall with that skirt on! legs go miles long.
      There's nothing I don't like about this outfit. =]

• Anonymous April 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hi Jean!
      Since I don't have a twitter account. I'll just wish you a happy happy & restful birthday here!
      -Sandy.

• Lien April 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I absolutely love this pairing! Normally when I think of sequins, I picture NYE parties or something along those lines but this outfit is more subtle yet still maintaining that glam factor… And that yellow is a gorgeous color!

Also, I read above that it's your birthday! Happy Birthday, Jean! Hope you had a wonderful day filled with lots of love and new additions to the closet! :p

• FashionableAsians April 20, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Perfect look for work then happy hour! Loving the sequin skirt!!

• Visceral Maze April 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm
    • Berty Morales April 20, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I love this look and what a great skirt.

• dietingfashions April 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

That skirt is really sleek and chic!

Helen

• Pip April 20, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Wow, this is amazing! I love the shirt with the skirt! The skirt fits perfectly on you! xx

Pip

• SugarNikita April 20, 2012 at 11:37 pm

LOVE this. Great way to wear a bright color!

• Susan April 20, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I'm not usually into sequins, but this skirt photographs beautifully! Love the sparkles.

• Emily April 21, 2012 at 12:09 am

That skirt is absolutely gorgeous! Love this entire look.
      Creamy

• Genie April 21, 2012 at 2:34 am

I'm in awe of this amazing skirt and neon blouse ensemble! I wish I had one like this, usually sequined skirts have a bad connotation with not enough coverage and wild nights… I love this! I actually swap clothes with my mom all the time, she has an amazing sense of style.

xoxo,
      Genie

• A Petite Treat April 21, 2012 at 2:47 am

I love your outfit!! It's so fun and classy and I LOVE your purse!!

Jenn