How to Style: The Maxi Skirt (& Petite Fashion Challenge #14)

This month’s Petite Fashion Challenge is hosted by Couture Coco. The challenge:

Holiday Emergency: You have a pre-booked dinner date on the first day of your holiday (vacation), but your luggage is delayed. This monthโ€™s challenge is to style your travel outfit into a special evening look using whatever you carry in your purse and anything else immediately at hand.”

Please visit Couture Coco’s post to see the other ladies’ outfits. The participant list is short, as this was a true styling challenge requiring resourcefulness and/or creativity (I loved reading ktrstyle‘s entry). The scenario may not be realistic for everyone (I never check luggage when flying), but it certainly is for some…I’m always hearing about people’s luggage getting lost or delayed while on vacation. Here’s my travel outfit:
PFCvaca1

Old Navy maxi skirt (runs big), H&M; shell & belt, LV Speedy 25
Michael Kors tortoise watch, Gap hat (similar), Prada sandals, F21 necklace

Maxi skirts and dresses are perfect for traveling, and transition nicely for casual daytime outfits after reaching your destination. The jersey fabric and elastic waistband on this are super comfy, plus the length will keep legs warm on chilly flights. I usually bring my LV Speedy on trips because it folds nice and flat into my carry-on tote. Be sure to take off all your metal accessories before going through the scanner and put them into your purse (to avoid leaving anything behind).

My dinner date outfit came to mind almost immediately. Before reading the challenge, I had conveniently just tried on this maxi skirt as a tube dress. Nick was fooled and gave my new dress a thumbs-up, which is good enough for me to wear something in public.

PFCvaca
I know this isn’t a “special evening look” – more like a casual dinner outfit. When I think of vacation, I dream of sunset walks along the beach and al-fresco dining, so I kept the look fairly relaxed. I used the exact same accessories except swapped the satchel for a clutch. When traveling, I usually bring this H&M; convertible clutch/messenger bag along for holding my wallet, passport, tickets, etc. – it’s one of my best purchases ever for $17! Scroll to the bottom of this post to see a second, simpler variation of outfits I did with this maxi skirt.
PFCvaca2

Old Navy chiffon bow tie top (XS), Old Navy maxi skirt (XS petite, taken in)

I wanted to take a moment and discuss how lengthening long skirts and dresses can actually be on shorter women. The piece just has to be not full or poofy and not too fitted – it should graze your figure and create a seamless line almost to the ground. A skirt that sits higher up on your waist will create a longer line than a low-rise one…

When I initially posted about this skirt, several of you seemed intrigued and asked for styling ideas. The possibilities to me are endless – patterns, stripes, dots, solids plus a necklace and belt…I really like how it looks with the green print top above, kind of like a peacock effect.
An XS in this blouse runs generously and is sheer and thin (all as expected). I could have made it work, but one thing that bothered me was how low the neckline dipped underneath the bow. It was not going to be simple to take up via the shoulders due to the bow neckline, thus I returned it.

PFCvaca3
The skirt in Petite XS also ran very generously. It may run even bigger than typical ON sizing, because a store associate saw me holding it and hollered at me to size down. The waist measures 13.4″ across on a Petite XS and the length is 33″ – perfect when the waistband was hoisted up to my natural waist. The material is on the thinner side and may show undie bulges if it’s too fitted. I took the waist/side in along one side, and will get lots of wear out of this come warmer weather.

I wanted to show how easy it really is to style a maxi skirt, and thus did a simple second variation for this challenge using super-affordable pieces that every woman has in their wardrobe:

PFCvaca4

Tee: Gap, Belt, tube top & clutch: H&M;, Necklace: F21, Sandals: Target

Including shoes and accessories, each of these outfits are under $50. For daytime, you can pair a maxi skirt simply with a solid, print or patterned tee (if solid, add interest with a belt and necklace). For evening, you can transform your look by:

– sweeping your hair into an updo or tousled, voluminous high ponytail
– adding statement earrings
– adding sultry smokey eyes, and/or lipstick

You can also escalate the date night look by baring your shoulders with a tube top or tube dress. When I wear white or clothes that might get easily stained, I actually do carry a back-up in my purse. This is a super fitted and short H&M; tube dress that has seen better days at the club, and now I’m looking forward to reviving it under some conservative bottoms.

This has been a Petite Fashion Challenge. To find out more about these challenges, please visit here.
petitefashionchallenge

85 thoughts on “How to Style: The Maxi Skirt (& Petite Fashion Challenge #14)

• .Tinacious Me. March 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm

love the way you wear it! what a versatile piece & how creative you are!
    xo, Tina

• Tsahai March 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I love all the looks. ๐Ÿ™‚

• mirigoround March 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Beautiful! So impressed with how you configure multiple outfits. Love the return of the F21 necklace ๐Ÿ™‚

• Tam March 27, 2012 at 8:28 pm

That skirt really does lengthen your silhouette! I'm a big fan of repurposing long skirts as dresses, and I love that bright blue color. Great job on this challenge!

• Cher March 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Love the very first outfit! I tried the maxi skirt and I really just wasn't comfortable in it even though I could come up with a ton of styling ideas as well. Maybe for $13, I'll give it another go.

• Molly March 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Love the chiffon bow top.

• Vera March 27, 2012 at 8:38 pm

You read my mind. Your posts are always so put-together and resourceful.
    And the second dinner-date look is stunning. Divine.
    As a tiny 21 year old, I have you know that I really look up to you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Love.
    Vera.
    Being Vera Blog.

• Nina March 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Beautiful! Jean, would you mind telling me what kind of bra you wore under the tube top? Thanks!

• phiphi's blog March 27, 2012 at 8:49 pm

gorgeous! really love this dress on you – and you give me hope for the "maxi" length dresses and skirts!

• Alterations Needed March 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Great skirt to dress transition! You're getting really good at these easy alterations. Pretty impressive Jean! =)

• thehautecookie March 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm

love all of the blue outfit configurations^ xO

• Cardigan Fiend Phoebe March 27, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Love your vacation look Jean!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm afraid mine was way too casual since I check most of my bags in when I travel ๐Ÿ™

• lin March 27, 2012 at 9:09 pm

i love how you styled the maxi skirt. it's so versatile. the cobalt blue color really suits you. thanks for all styling inspirations. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Angie March 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm

this is so versatile! i like the various looks you came up with in just one longline piece.

• Alice Gu March 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm

one of my fav posts of all time! thumbs up!

• Victoria March 27, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I loveee all the different looks! It really makes you look tall and sleek. I have never been a fan of maxi dresses but this one just looks so amazing on you!! Might need to finally give them a try! :O

• Elle March 27, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Love your vacation looks – especially the white blouse + maxi skirt look, will definitely have to try it some time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last week's weather made me want to go out and buy every single maxi dress + skirt I see. I sometimes enjoy deceiving people into thinking I am actually five inches taller…hehe. No one sees my five inch wedges under flowy skirts! :DDDD

• Elle March 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

p.s. how are you liking your goyard bag…I was at a work event recently and saw a girl carrying one. I struck up a convo with her and got to handle the bag in person. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's gorgeous…would love to see it in your outfit posts more often. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Natasha Fatah March 27, 2012 at 10:31 pm

You've styled this skirt beautifully. You look great!
    xoxo

• dietingfashions March 27, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Very cool how you used the skirt and turned it into a dress!

This was definitely a hard challenge.

Helen

• CynthiaC March 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I really liked how you turned the maxi into a dress! It's an amazing colour on you, too.

• Suzie Q March 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You did an amazing job with the piece showing it off as a versatile piece. I love that color! Great hat too!

xoxo

• Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) March 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Amazing job Jean! So sad I missed out on this one – but most of my clothes are packed away still ๐Ÿ˜› Hopefully after April I'll be a little more settled.

• Ann March 27, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Dannnnnngg Jean, you look GOOD.
    So inspiring, this is why I love this blog.<3

• Ping March 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm

love the dinner date outfit!!! sexay! and look at those abs *wistle*

• frikken DUCKIE March 27, 2012 at 11:29 pm

You totally sold me on this skirt!

โ™ฅ Duckie.

• Juneli March 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Love all the different ways you wore one skirt!!

• CY March 27, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I love how you styled all these looks with only 1 skirt. You're so creative and I think these looks would actually work on many body types, not just petite girls. Thanks for the insight! I definitely want to try this!

• anh March 28, 2012 at 12:09 am

I love the look so so much!! so stylish!! I really love it ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kimberly March 28, 2012 at 12:26 am

Wow, great job! I decided to sit out on this challenge because it really was… a challenge! The maxi skirt definitely lengthens your body and I think the shirts you chose to pair it with complements each other very well.

~Kimberly

• sincerelysheldon March 28, 2012 at 12:29 am

I totally agree with you! Maxi dresses/skirts can definitely make petite women look taller especially if you secretly wear heels underneath ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ann March 28, 2012 at 12:43 am

aww… all outfits are actually really well put together. I loved all the looks. seriously. A very great post!

Ann =)

• Fashion Blawger March 28, 2012 at 1:52 am

Jean you look gorgeous in these photos. I hope you don't mind but I've added these onto my pinterest boards. If you've ever seen my blog you know I blog about fashion law so I always like to give the heads up if I am making use of people's images–even if I think it is a legal "fair use" of an image. I just have it pinned for quick access to this post! ๐Ÿ˜‰

I love maxis for petites–they make me feel feminine but powerful (and guilt free while eating)!

• Kiwi March 28, 2012 at 2:08 am

Stunning!
    I was always scared of wearing long skirts/dresses because of my height… but wow, you look tall in the skirt! Thanks for tips =D

• Kat March 28, 2012 at 3:04 am

I really appreciate that you are so creative with the pieces you have. It pushes me to try new things also. Sometimes you have to see it on someone else before you can brave the challenge yourself. Maybe I will try maxi skirts (I feel like they make me look… pregnant). How do you find these awesome sales so often?

• DiamondsandTulle March 28, 2012 at 3:45 am

Very nice in all your styling variations! I love the skirt as tube dress look the best!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

• Couture Coco March 28, 2012 at 3:53 am

Impressive choices and results as usual! I am on the look out for a maxi jersey anything – love jersey dresses anyway but the maxi length is the hardest search.

• Ida March 28, 2012 at 4:04 am

I really love the bow tie top & skirt combo! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• fashionenvie.net March 28, 2012 at 5:04 am

I love your looks! The type of blue really suits you ๐Ÿ™‚

• a rose March 28, 2012 at 7:21 am

The hat adds the "Woa" factor into the first outfit.