• Lookbook: Zesty Neon and Finding Balance

Thank you all for the candid feedback on my Jason Wu for Target items. I ended up mailing all the clothes to friends who will hopefully look better in them. On a separate note, I wanted to explain my recent (& upcoming) absence and delay in responding to your questions and emails. Interacting with readers is so important to me, and I feel terrible that my responsiveness has fallen to the wayside.

As some of you may know, I’m currently studying for the CFA Level 3 exam in June. I’m scared just thinking about it and considered closing Extra Petite til then. However, remembering Level 2 with the 10-12 hour workdays then cramming past midnight, never seeing friends or even Nick, and almost sprouting a beard due to lack of grooming…I realized I need this stress-relieving outlet. Please bear with me as posts may be sporadic, and please accept my apology for not being responsive during this time. I have plenty I want to share – like a beautiful walking boot for small calves (twitpic), a costly alterations saga, and photos from my Asia trip – I just need to find some balance.
    lalights2

H&M; blazer sz 2, style #037443, $34.95 (altered here), H&M; shell and clutch, Talbots necklace
    Crewcuts Cotton & Silk Double-Dipped Skirt sz 10 (taken in), Gap neon sweater, BR heels

The warm-weather outfit in today’s post was from right before my Asia trip. Nick and I had a lengthy layover at LAX and were preparing to set up camp, but Wendy and her boyfriend came to our rescue. We had a delish Korean lunch involving more banchan than I could ever ask for, satisfied Nick’s boba cravings, and chatted away 5 hours before I knew it…

lalights4
    Last week, I saw that Wendy’s Lookbook was nominated for Bloglovin’s newcomer of the year award (cast your votes). A quick scroll through Bloglovin’s top fashion blogs shows tall, leggy, model-esque bloggers. I’m proud to see a fellow 5-feet tall (not to mention, minority) woman being recognized amongst the top influencers of fashion blogging.
    lalights3
    This zesty Crewcuts skirt was purchased on final sale for about $11. With J.Crew final sale, I strongly suggest asking their online customer service for item measurements and comparing them against stuff you own. I was certain I’d be a kids 12 and was bummed that it was sold out. I decided to settle for the kids 10, praying that it wouldn’t be scandalously small. The kids 10 turned out to be so roomy that it hung limply off my hips. Darn you, J.Crew, and your inconsistent and often inflated sizes. If you are my size, then a kids 8 in this skirt might fit best.
    lalights
    This outfit made me think of an interesting article Kelly wrote about “faking the fit” on garments – something I’m occasionally guilty of. Both jacket and skirt here didn’t fit right off the rack, which is not unusual. As alterations can be time-consuming to DIY or costly to get done, I was tempted to mask the roomy sleeves by scrunching them, and to hoist the skirt up with a snug belt.

Unfortunately, an outfit that truly fits gives off a noticeably different vibe than one with “faked fit,” not to mention brings the wearer a higher level of confidence. When faking, I was too distracted constantly adjusting the sleeves, and the skirt bunched up unnaturally around the cinched waist. I ended up taking the time to slim and shorten the jacket sleeves, and sewed both sides of the skirt in about 1-2 inches. Several hours of labor later, I couldn’t be happier with the results!
    lalights1

Readers – For those of you who juggle work, study, and/or other responsibilities, I’d love to hear advice on how to find balance and stay sane through it all.

113 thoughts on “Lookbook: Zesty Neon and Finding Balance

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm

In person I think it's the same highlighter yellow you speak of. I actually like that it's neon (very of-the-moment) and not sunny yellow! I didn't make color adjustments for these photos but my camera doesn't always capture colors accurately.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Thank you! I got mine on my phone and already put it to use : )

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Thanks for the awesome tip! I shared it on Twitter too & and will definitely keep it in mind when 2012/2012 J.Crew final sales roll around.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Thanks, Catherine! I work in risk management and am about to transfer to business valuation.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Sending good luck wishes your way for Level 3 : )

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I love it too – it's Mulberry and there are more details on her blog : )

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Hi there – My mom's blog is on private but I do LOVE userealbutter.com for recipes and photos.

• PetiteAsianGirl February 12, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful advice and words of encouragement. I read and appreciate every comment!

• Karen (littlepiecefnb) February 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Good luck with your exams, Jean! I think blogging (even if periodically) is a great way to relieve stress and just take your mind off of work/studying. You and Wendy always look amazing…love your blogs!

• Kathy February 14, 2012 at 2:56 am

Hi Jean, this is my first time posting on your blog. I recently just started interning at an accounting firm and was in desperate need of recommendations/advice on professional work clothing while still looking stylish, well put together, clean, fresh, and polished. Just wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU for being an inspiration. I'm currently taking my CPA exams, and although I don't know you, I feel that I'm not alone on this tough journey ahead. Be strong and i'm sure all of your readers can't wait till you share with us the great news when you pass. Best of luck!

• fabulously frugirl February 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hello Jean,

I am a longtime lurker but rare commenter. We've met IRL before, and you are really such a sweetheart and as beautiful inside and out.

Thank you so much for being such a resource and role model, for not only petite women, but for women in general, looking for clothes and fashion that fits. You always look classy and put together, and your intelligences and passion for fashion and what you do, really shines through in all your writing.

I hope (selfishly) that you will continue to keep ExtraPetite open, even as your crazy schedule continues. Your readers, fans and fellow lurkers – like myself, will always be here waiting for your next post, when you return. Like someone above said, even for sporadic post is better than none! 🙂

Good luck in writing your CFA exam! It's the last one, so just hang in there! You can do it 🙂 and you will pass with flying colours – I just know it.

• snow0016 February 26, 2012 at 6:43 am

Hi, I've been a reader for a long time now. I just entered the working force and at the same time signed up for a vocational course. I still have other pending responsibilities and I am having difficulty giving time to all of them, leaving me focusing to only one of them. But this post renewed my inspiration to fulfill all of my responsibilities and doing my best to finish them well. Thank you for being so inspiring. Please continue blogging even just once in a while! Wish you well on your exam!

• Gabrielle March 4, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi Jean,

As a candidate myself, I totally understand the feeling of being so smooshed in by work, homelife, and the CFA candidacy progress. Take solace that the pass rate was 51% last year for level 3- you've made it past the stages where less than half of us continue on!

If you need to pare down your life, do so. Nobody can tell you what's right for you! It'd be like someone suggesting I stop volunteering- when life gets hard, you need to hold on to what makes you happy. Be easy and kind to yourself. You're entering a group of people so small that there's only 100,000 in the world- what you're doing isn't easy!

Best of luck