Style in a Suitcase, Part 2: Redwood, leopard + winter white

This is a scheduled post. I won’t be able to answer any questions until I return. Thank you for reading!

redwoodleopard

Old Navy legging jeans in “Russet Brown” (more colors) sz 0 reg, H&M; ivory shell
AT leopard cardigan (similar starting in XXS), CL Decolletes, Chanel WOC, c/o t+j Designs earrings

Continuing with the Style in a Suitcase series, here’s a simple outfit from my visit to mild-wintered Southern California. I had the luxury of baring my shoulders during the day, but needed thick layers once dusk rolled in. Packing a print/patterned layer helped break up the solid blocks.
redwoodleopard1

This ivory H&M; double-placket shell has quickly become a wardrobe favorite, whereas the green remains untouched. Although the overall fit is generous and the armholes are a bit gap-y, this blouse looks elegant when tucked in and/or layered, and feels much more luxe than its $17.95 price tag.
redwoodleopard2
This cardigan jacket (a 2010 favorite) is my trustiest travel and thick layering piece. I’m dying for Gap to come out with something similar again. I got it for around $30 back then and it’s held up beautifully through multiple washes – these days, it’s hard to find such quality & comfortable pieces from retailers at this price.
redwoodleopard3

78 thoughts on “Style in a Suitcase, Part 2: Redwood, leopard + winter white

• CynthiaC January 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I never thought that mustard and russet brown would go this well together (other than as ketchup and mustard on a hotdog or hamburger – LOL)… it's a pretty combo, though I don't think that mustard would work well on my skintone.

By the way, Happy New Year to you!

• mai January 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm

ooh, i love the layering!

• Zaya January 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Yes, I agree! What a great color combo!

• Joy January 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Joy January 22, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Your comment made me hungry, thinking about hotdogs. haha.
    I really like the earrings.

• The Little Dust Princess January 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Happy lunar new year, Jean! Minus the mustard cardigan, I pretty much wore the EXACT outfit the other day! I've worn the Old Navy jeggings a number of times now and the material became softer with each wear. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Janine A January 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm

you look amazing, jean!!! hope you're having a great trip ๐Ÿ™‚

• Wendy's Lookbook January 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm

You look awesome girl! LOVE this look on you! Next time, when you're in LA, I might have to kidnap you so we can spend more time together!

• Alexandra January 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Gorgeous!

• newpetite January 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

You look gorgeous!! Thats a lovely blouse!

• The Fancy Teacup January 22, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Such beautiful, rich colours in your look, and adore the addition of feline print. x

• becka January 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Loving the leopard print + cream and rust color combo!

• hugstiem January 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm

You look radiant. Please teach me how to smile so photogenically. What are you thinking about?

• Lawgirl January 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Really cute! But can you really walk around in stiletto heels for everyday, weekend, vacation wear? I can do clogs, boots, and chunky oxfords with 3-4" stacked heels when I'm in casual mode, but pumps, skirts, & tights make me feel formal and very "at work."

• Style-Delights January 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I love your style! Even though I am not petite (5'8" with broad frame!) I am a regular reader!!:-)

• Ping January 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

aww jean, i love this outfit and you look so pretty! i love your hair and makeup and earrings– everything. just gorgeous!! i decided to return my cobalt jeggings (OR) and also the spicy red (OP). i did keep the ruby color (OS) which fit the smallest. still waiting for my Payless shoes to come in the mail. i think the AT order should arrive early this week,.

• Annie January 22, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Wow, I'm loving the unexpected colour combo! I need myself a pair of Old Navy jeggings ASAP!

• Victoria January 22, 2012 at 11:19 pm

That is SUCH a beautiful top! I looked for it last time I was at H&M; but couldn't find it ๐Ÿ™

• Trish January 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Do you have any problems with static cling with this top? I have another H&M; top made of the same material but I never wear it because it clings to me! It's sad because it's a cute top… I passed on the ivory one you are wearing because I was worried it would have the same problem.

• Katie January 22, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Love this outfit. I can't believe the pants are from Old Navy

• Cee Cee January 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I love the color palettes from this outfit!

• Meg January 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

I managed to pick up the cream blouse at H&M; (only had a 2 and a 10 in cream, no greens) and didn't get to try it on before bringing it home (toddler in tow!). I looove it, but found it to be tight over the chest in the 2. It was sort of pulling to the point that I was obsessively checking for gap-osis. I think I can get an extra quarter inch of ease if I move the tight button over a bit. Definitely a keeper — BR has similar blouses right now at more than double the price. Do you layer anything under it? I find it a little sheer to wear without something over it.

Trish, I don't have static issues with this top. I wore it all day with a wool sweater yesterday and no problems at all.

• Krys January 23, 2012 at 12:25 am

Your layering worked out really well; I'm always trying to figure out ways to layer without looking really bulky and I like the pop of pattern in your outfit. Hope that you've been having a lovely weekend! xx

• my mini bag January 23, 2012 at 12:32 am

Great outfit. I love the H&M; top.

• Chris @ Granola2Glam January 23, 2012 at 12:52 am

I agree heavy cardigan jackets are the best for traveling. I have a Missoni for Target sweater I just love for traveling!

• Something About Kerri January 23, 2012 at 1:40 am

i love your blog! you put since unique colours together and it all works =)

• Kiwi January 23, 2012 at 2:42 am

I love the colors of the outfit.
    Those legging jeans are awesome

• Kiwi January 23, 2012 at 2:43 am

Oh and where did you get those earrings from? =D

• CocoMeChanel January 23, 2012 at 3:16 am

I really like this outfit. I've never really considered Old Navy for jeggings since it's so hard to find pants that fit me properly…
    Love the color combo here <3

• La Coquette de la Mode January 23, 2012 at 3:20 am

This outfit is perfect!

XX Kathryn

• e-chan January 23, 2012 at 3:48 am

You have the immigration stamp (left arm) ^__^ Just like me.

• Nee January 23, 2012 at 4:14 am

love that look, these red pants are amazing!:)

• Anna January 23, 2012 at 4:29 am

What a great combo! I can never wear red pants, or colored pants for that matter, but I love looking at them. I really need to try my luck at some new pairings with my colored denims, because I am usually stuck at the same combination and thus get bored really, really easily.

• The Elizabeth Land January 23, 2012 at 4:44 am

Beautiful outfit! And of course photos! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda Silver January 23, 2012 at 5:44 am

the leopard layer makes this outfit very very chic! I also like the earrings very much!

• FANdoo deals January 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master.
    Best Deals

• Tara A January 23, 2012 at 7:01 am

I've almost bought the red Old Navy jeggings about three times in-store. It's true that the red color is cut super-small. I was skeptical about a OR (because of vanity sizing and the leg-length issue), but they were TIGHT on me and the legs weren't too long (105lb, 5'3"). I red in the Old Navy reviews that some people were going up as many as 3 sizes from their normal ON size. I just couldn't bring myself to buy them at retail price because the quality isn't great, I already have pants in the same color, and I can't wear them to work.

• lin January 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

jean, you look so pretty, especially in that first pic. i love all the colors and layerings you have going on here.

• TheTinyHeart January 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

Beautiful leopard cardigan…you made it look so chic with the blouse underneath!

-Sharon

• Anonymous January 23, 2012 at 8:52 am

do you use any products on your hair? it's looks really smooth, manageable

• Tiffany January 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

adore! You look gorgeous as always and love the earrings on you! <3

• JJ January 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

Love the layering of the leopard under the mustard cardigan – it adds just the right amount of pattern to the outfit to make it interesting! Your style is so classic.

• Nina January 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

that blouse looks so lovely, and I love the color combination! you look so pretty!

• grace January 23, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Wow, beautiful outfit – loved the color combination! Love the leopard breaking up the solid colors.

Seriously, to die for, and you look gorgeous as always =)

• Corinne January 23, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Just stumbled upon your blog & let me start off by saying that I absolutely LOVE the title! I'm quite petite myself so to know that someone else is extra petite as well is just plain awesome ๐Ÿ˜€
    as for this entry you look fab! I especially love the H&M; shirt, it definitely looks like it's worth more than 18$! fab find:D & love the color combo! Definitely lookbook inspiration for me! Have a great one!
    xx Corinne
    cateyesandthighhighs.blogspot.com

• Love and Company January 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Love the leopard print cardigan. It definitely breaks the solid colors well!

xox

• Nicole January 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Wow you look fabulous!!! I love your blog soo much!!! I actually started blogging becasue of you! I'm pretty short as well, I'm 5,2" Haha. Yeah 14 though so I still have time to grow! ๐Ÿ™‚

whatnicolewears.blogspot.com

-N

• Tserendulam Altangerel January 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

wow the way you combine items is just amazing!!!you are an amazing person!!!
    also I really like your earrings so much

• Love Cardelia January 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This outfit is perfect! I love the jeans and leopard cardigan ๐Ÿ™‚ I am petite as well so I look forward to following your blog for inspiration and tips.

xx
    Julie

• DSK Steph January 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I love the color of those pants! I hope you're having a great time on your trip! Happy Lunar New Year! ๐Ÿ™‚

• danica January 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Such a great outfit! Love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Natasha Fatah January 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Such a gorgeous and rich looking outfit. You look lovely!
    xoxo

• Joy January 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Love the outfit! The colors go together so well. Happy Lunar New Year!

• Carol January 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for the daily dose of inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚ I love how you rock leopard!

• Genie January 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

You look so elegant and chic! I'm loving the colors of those skinnies!

xoxo,
    Genie

• Anonymous January 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm

What a great way to wear leopard elegantly and with ease – thanks for the inspiration! And yes that is the catch 22 with SoCal weather, its generally warm in the day but no matter what, once the sun sets its chiiillly!

Lia-
    TheUrbanLAss.com

• Erin January 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I never would have guessed these were Old Navy jeans – wow! I'll have to check to see if they're in my store… Awesome outfit as always!

• Sd January 24, 2012 at 4:32 am

super cute! love the combination! Check out my fashion + beauty blog sometime:

• desert heels January 24, 2012 at 7:05 am

The cardigan finishes the outfit beautifully!

• The life after January 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm

These red pants are amazing!! You look great!

The Life After

• Anonymous January 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Do you have the velcro bump in your pony tail in this post?

Ann

• Anonymous January 24, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hi,
    I just found your blog and look forward to reading more. Everyone thinks I'm kidding when I say that finding clothes to fit petites is a serious project!
    Lauren

• Anonymous January 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I have the AT leopard sweater and I never thought to pair it with a button up shell (I have a very similar one). I wore this outfit today (minus the colored jeans) and absolutely loved it! Thanks for your great tips!

• april January 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

beautiful outfit!>..i love the way you layer and combine all the colors..so inspiring

• Rainy Days and Lattes January 24, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I agree with you! For $30, that is a good price for the cardigan. It layers nicely and looks great after washes ๐Ÿ˜€

• xJOLE January 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I purchased both colours as well! My white one definitely gets more wear.

• uponbluemoon January 25, 2012 at 9:40 am

I just stumbled upon your blog yesterday and spent hours browsing through your outfits! You look so cute!

As a fellow petite shopper, I definitely feel that we get the short end (ha) of the straw sometimes shopping in stores. I passed up a lot of good pieces since I didn't want to get them tailored. But your "Tayloring Ann Taylor" suit has definitely changed my perspective!

On a side note, I look a lot like you. When I showed my mom your blog, her first question was "when did you get this picture taken?" xDD

Annabelle

• Jialu January 25, 2012 at 12:58 pm

You could do a great ALL TIME FAVORITES post! I love your fashion sense and would like to see what items you CANNOT IMAGINE WITHOUT.

• 6 o'clock Inspiration January 25, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I love the blouse and leggings (i'll have to go to old navy sometime soon)
    just found your blog definitely love it!
    check out my blog

• Karen (littlepiecefnb) January 26, 2012 at 1:33 am

Love, love, love those colors and patterns together! You are gorgeous and I am digging that H&M; shell! I'm so sad there's no online shopping available in the US for H&M; yet!!

• Anonymous January 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Great outfit. Love the leopard blouse. The ON legging jeans were a good buy — great color.

• what the shoe January 27, 2012 at 4:32 am

love the colour of your jeans…i've seen it around a lot.

• Anonymous January 28, 2012 at 12:40 am

How do you deal with heels that have gaps at the back? Many of the shoes I buy fit fine in the store, then when I walk around in them my toes slip down into the pointed area, and a little gap forms. This causes the shoes to start falling off slightly, making them difficult to walk in. Have you ever encountered this problem, and if so, what is your fix?
    – Thanks!!

• MarianaLuisa January 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Lovelovelove the small Chanel purse and leopard cardi!

• แƒฆ Carolineโ™” February 10, 2012 at 2:48 am

Why, oh why, are you so beautiful, Jean?! You always look so fresh-faced and really brighten up the photos with your charming, innocent-looking smile ๐Ÿ™‚ I really love how the Russet Brown legging jeans pairs so beautifully and harmoniously with the ivory blouse to create such an elegant and rich color palette! The leopard print cardigan really is the icing on the cake, pulling together the look so well!

• rawrcho March 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

My faaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite outfit you put together! I love love love it! It composes of my favorites; red, cheetah print, button ups, me wanting a pair of Christian Louboutins! Ahh amazing <3

• animal print pants May 10, 2012 at 9:28 am

I love the color palettes from this outfit!

• facesofony February 21, 2016 at 7:33 am

You are so beautiful!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Great outfit- I love the old navy legging jeans!