• Style in a Suitcase, Part 2: Redwood, leopard + winter white

This is a scheduled post. I won’t be able to answer any questions until I return. Thank you for reading!

redwoodleopard

Old Navy legging jeans in “Russet Brown” (more colors) sz 0 reg, H&M; ivory shell
    AT leopard cardigan (similar starting in XXS), CL Decolletes, Chanel WOC, c/o t+j Designs earrings

Continuing with the Style in a Suitcase series, here’s a simple outfit from my visit to mild-wintered Southern California. I had the luxury of baring my shoulders during the day, but needed thick layers once dusk rolled in. Packing a print/patterned layer helped break up the solid blocks.
    redwoodleopard1

This ivory H&M; double-placket shell has quickly become a wardrobe favorite, whereas the green remains untouched. Although the overall fit is generous and the armholes are a bit gap-y, this blouse looks elegant when tucked in and/or layered, and feels much more luxe than its $17.95 price tag.
    redwoodleopard2
    This cardigan jacket (a 2010 favorite) is my trustiest travel and thick layering piece. I’m dying for Gap to come out with something similar again. I got it for around $30 back then and it’s held up beautifully through multiple washes – these days, it’s hard to find such quality & comfortable pieces from retailers at this price.
    redwoodleopard3

78 thoughts on “Style in a Suitcase, Part 2: Redwood, leopard + winter white

• CynthiaC January 22, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I never thought that mustard and russet brown would go this well together (other than as ketchup and mustard on a hotdog or hamburger – LOL)… it's a pretty combo, though I don't think that mustard would work well on my skintone.

By the way, Happy New Year to you!

• mai January 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm

ooh, i love the layering!

• Zaya January 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Yes, I agree! What a great color combo!

• Joy January 22, 2012 at 10:01 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Joy January 22, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Your comment made me hungry, thinking about hotdogs. haha.
      I really like the earrings.

• The Little Dust Princess January 22, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Happy lunar new year, Jean! Minus the mustard cardigan, I pretty much wore the EXACT outfit the other day! I've worn the Old Navy jeggings a number of times now and the material became softer with each wear. 😀

• Janine A January 22, 2012 at 10:20 pm

you look amazing, jean!!! hope you're having a great trip 🙂

• Wendy's Lookbook January 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm

You look awesome girl! LOVE this look on you! Next time, when you're in LA, I might have to kidnap you so we can spend more time together!

• Alexandra January 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Gorgeous!

• newpetite January 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

You look gorgeous!! Thats a lovely blouse!

• The Fancy Teacup January 22, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Such beautiful, rich colours in your look, and adore the addition of feline print. x

• becka January 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Loving the leopard print + cream and rust color combo!

• hugstiem January 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm

You look radiant. Please teach me how to smile so photogenically. What are you thinking about?

• Lawgirl January 22, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Really cute! But can you really walk around in stiletto heels for everyday, weekend, vacation wear? I can do clogs, boots, and chunky oxfords with 3-4" stacked heels when I'm in casual mode, but pumps, skirts, & tights make me feel formal and very "at work."

• Style-Delights January 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I love your style! Even though I am not petite (5'8" with broad frame!) I am a regular reader!!:-)

• Ping January 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

aww jean, i love this outfit and you look so pretty! i love your hair and makeup and earrings– everything. just gorgeous!! i decided to return my cobalt jeggings (OR) and also the spicy red (OP). i did keep the ruby color (OS) which fit the smallest. still waiting for my Payless shoes to come in the mail. i think the AT order should arrive early this week,.

• Annie January 22, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Wow, I'm loving the unexpected colour combo! I need myself a pair of Old Navy jeggings ASAP!

• Victoria January 22, 2012 at 11:19 pm

That is SUCH a beautiful top! I looked for it last time I was at H&M; but couldn't find it 🙁

• Trish January 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Do you have any problems with static cling with this top? I have another H&M; top made of the same material but I never wear it because it clings to me! It's sad because it's a cute top… I passed on the ivory one you are wearing because I was worried it would have the same problem.

• Katie January 22, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Love this outfit. I can't believe the pants are from Old Navy

• Cee Cee January 22, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I love the color palettes from this outfit!

• Meg January 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

I managed to pick up the cream blouse at H&M; (only had a 2 and a 10 in cream, no greens) and didn't get to try it on before bringing it home (toddler in tow!). I looove it, but found it to be tight over the chest in the 2. It was sort of pulling to the point that I was obsessively checking for gap-osis. I think I can get an extra quarter inch of ease if I move the tight button over a bit. Definitely a keeper — BR has similar blouses right now at more than double the price. Do you layer anything under it? I find it a little sheer to wear without something over it.

Trish, I don't have static issues with this top. I wore it all day with a wool sweater yesterday and no problems at all.

• Krys January 23, 2012 at 12:25 am

Your layering worked out really well; I'm always trying to figure out ways to layer without looking really bulky and I like the pop of pattern in your outfit. Hope that you've been having a lovely weekend! xx

• my mini bag January 23, 2012 at 12:32 am

Great outfit. I love the H&M; top.

• Chris @ Granola2Glam January 23, 2012 at 12:52 am

I agree heavy cardigan jackets are the best for traveling. I have a Missoni for Target sweater I just love for traveling!

• Something About Kerri January 23, 2012 at 1:40 am

i love your blog! you put since unique colours together and it all works =)

• Kiwi January 23, 2012 at 2:42 am

I love the colors of the outfit.
      Those legging jeans are awesome

• Kiwi January 23, 2012 at 2:43 am

Oh and where did you get those earrings from? =D

• CocoMeChanel January 23, 2012 at 3:16 am

I really like this outfit. I've never really considered Old Navy for jeggings since it's so hard to find pants that fit me properly…
      Love the color combo here <3

• La Coquette de la Mode January 23, 2012 at 3:20 am

This outfit is perfect!

XX Kathryn

• e-chan January 23, 2012 at 3:48 am

You have the immigration stamp (left arm) ^__^ Just like me.

• Nee January 23, 2012 at 4:14 am

love that look, these red pants are amazing!:)

• Anna January 23, 2012 at 4:29 am

What a great combo! I can never wear red pants, or colored pants for that matter, but I love looking at them. I really need to try my luck at some new pairings with my colored denims, because I am usually stuck at the same combination and thus get bored really, really easily.

• The Elizabeth Land January 23, 2012 at 4:44 am

Beautiful outfit! And of course photos! 🙂

• Amanda Silver January 23, 2012 at 5:44 am

the leopard layer makes this outfit very very chic! I also like the earrings very much!

• FANdoo deals January 23, 2012 at 6:34 am

Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master.
      Best Deals

• Tara A January 23, 2012 at 7:01 am

I've almost bought the red Old Navy jeggings about three times in-store. It's true that the red color is cut super-small. I was skeptical about a OR (because of vanity sizing and the leg-length issue), but they were TIGHT on me and the legs weren't too long (105lb, 5'3"). I red in the Old Navy reviews that some people were going up as many as 3 sizes from their normal ON size. I just couldn't bring myself to buy them at retail price because the quality isn't great, I already have pants in the same color, and I can't wear them to work.

• lin January 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

jean, you look so pretty, especially in that first pic. i love all the colors and layerings you have going on here.

• TheTinyHeart January 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

Beautiful leopard cardigan…you made it look so chic with the blouse underneath!

-Sharon

• Anonymous January 23, 2012 at 8:52 am

do you use any products on your hair? it's looks really smooth, manageable